test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

3D printed copy of your own custom ship!

Comments

• wendysue53wendysue53 Member Posts: 1,569 Arc User
    Doesn't mean they can't be painted or won't paint them before you order them.
    A better image of the example ships would help to determine what process was actually used. I could be wrong about the one I mentioned. None of the images have enough definition to be positive about it. I just looked again, and have some questions about exactly what I'm seeing.

:|
  • conradhauserconradhauser Member Posts: 142 Arc User
    Well, if it's around $100, I'll have to pass. For around $20 or $30, sure, I'd buy it, but not for $100 or $200.
    tom61sto wrote: »
    These are going to be expensive, hundreds of dollars range based on what I'm seeing on the Eucl3D site.

There's Elite: Dangerous space ships in their store already, $30 for the 3 inch long Viper, $99 for the 5 inch long. I would expect at least $199 for a 12" ship that the STO series seems to be, possibly higher just scaling off that.

for how grainy those test models are it would be way too expensive IMO
    I would rather search for a plastic model of the ship & repaint it myself. Of course I won't have the same options available.

I'm interested in seeing them print out some examples that use the in game shield material variations like the Omega set.

Clearly, P.T. Barnum was talking about you folks. It's a hunk of plastic that they are using to open your wallet via your heart strings. Once you customize it to your personal features, it is no longer "quite as" collectable & likely only has real value to you.

Sorry, but not me. I'd consider it IF it came in reverse, so to speak - you could buy a ship & got the C-store version to fly online. That's the one you should customize.

Marketing is akin to hypnotism.

Offer me Attack Wing ships that come with an electronic version to use online, then we'll talk.

http://wizkids.com/attackwing/star-trek-attack-wing/

This would also be a cool idea.

Wondering about the ST:Attack Wing. Images didn't show anything but the basic three Faction types. Haven't played it, so the cards might show other ships. Have to look into this. Maybe. later sometime.
  • nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    Clearly, P.T. Barnum was talking about you folks. It's a hunk of plastic that they are using to open your wallet via your heart strings. Once you customize it to your personal features, it is no longer "quite as" collectable & likely only has real value to you.

Thank goodness I'd only be buying it for my own enjoyment and not some sort of investment.

And believe it or not, P.T. Barnum wasn't talking about all of human commerce. Really, I'm not sure what your objection is to other people being happy with their choices just because they aren't identical to your choices.

edited September 2016
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    wendysue53 wrote: »
    Wondering about the ST:Attack Wing. Images didn't show anything but the basic three Faction types. Haven't played it, so the cards might show other ships. Have to look into this. Maybe. later sometime.

It's great fun. each expansion pack comes with a mission so you can recreate some fun battles from the shows and you can easily do pick up games with your friends. If you want a competitive army for organized play however, it does get pretty pricey pretty fast.

huh. I'm thinking the 5 to 10 dollar card packs for Magic: The Gathering, Deus Vitae, Pokemon, Yu-Gi-Oh!, (endless others I used to play when younger), and Lol! Star Trek: The Card Game!

unless you bought the box sets, you spent thousands for the packs...

This "Attack Wing" the same as that?

BTW, Star Trek:Attack Wing sounds identical to the old Star Wars: Attack Wing game for early PC.
  • fmgtorres1979fmgtorres1979 Member Posts: 1,327 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    Love the idea.
    But I'm thinking the price must be absurd. And taking into acount that if I'm not mistaken it's my country's VAT that is applied, I'm looking at 23% just for taxes alone.
    But we'll see.

It's great fun. each expansion pack comes with a mission so you can recreate some fun battles from the shows and you can easily do pick up games with your friends. If you want a competitive army for organized play however, it does get pretty pricey pretty fast.

huh. I'm thinking the 5 to 10 dollar card packs for Magic: The Gathering, Deus Vitae, Pokemon, Yu-Gi-Oh!, (endless others I used to play when younger), and Lol! Star Trek: The Card Game!

unless you bought the box sets, you spent thousands for the packs...

This "Attack Wing" the same as that?

BTW, Star Trek:Attack Wing sounds identical to the old Star Wars: Attack Wing game for early PC.

So basically the way it works is you get the base game for like 30ish bucks I believe...but you can get it for less. Mine was 20. It comes with 3 ships (one fed, one klink, one rommie) and a bunch of cards to modify said ships. You can play some games with just those. Exach expansion comes with one ship and a bunch of cards. However, and here is where things get expensive, most of those cards come one to a pack. That means if you field 3 romulan ships and want all of them to have tact team, you need to buy three packs of the valdore at 15 bucks a pop...just for that one card. And some of those cards from prize/event ships...which unless you get lucky and win them, you will have to pay upwards of 50 bycks a pop for them. That is where the expensive for a orangized play army comes in. For playing with friends, buy a few expansions with ships you like and play for fun and it can be a fun night in.

starting to sound like tabletop dnd, adnd, or warhammer. REAL expensive. x.x
  • irm1963irm1963 Member Posts: 682 Arc User
    Love the idea.
    But I'm thinking the price must be absurd. And taking into acount that if I'm not mistaken it's my country's VAT that is applied, I'm looking at 23% just for taxes alone.
    But we'll see.

More than likely. I've got a bunch of much smaller (1/144 scale biplanes, 2" long on average) that cost about £10 a pop to get 3D printed. It does depend a lot on the material, but they charge for volume of the block they stick in the printer rather than the volume of the actual model so it can get a bit pricey. Cheapest stuff's very strong, but a bit grainy until you give it a few coats of varnish before painting (and if it's pre-painted you can double the price).
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    Man... So in the future, I'll be buying virtuals ships in the C-Store, and then physical ship models. I believe this will not work with my already generous gaming budget at all. :p And that's not even accounting for the required shelf space.

But maybe I could acquire one or two models... for Christmas and Birthday perhaps...
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • vandelemmingenvandelemmingen Member Posts: 50 Arc User
    I really liked the idea at first, but than i found this article from thetrekcollective.com, especially this image Eucl3D%2BStar%2BTrek%2BOnline%2B3D%2Bprinted%2Bship%2B11.jpg

I must say that i'm really not impressed by the quality of the Print. Especially on the saucer it's way too rough :(
    Most likely i won't buy one at this quality even if it would cost only 30$, which i doubt it would
  • burstorionburstorion Member Posts: 1,750 Arc User
    I wonder if you can get certain parts of each model so you can kitbash them?​​
  • tarran61tarran61 Member Posts: 827 Arc User
    I very happy to see this, looking forward to the price. My wife will not be happy at all.
    Positive thoughts.
    NeAC.gif
  • aries73321aries73321 Member Posts: 62 Arc User
    I really liked the idea at first, but than i found this article from thetrekcollective.com, especially this image Eucl3D%2BStar%2BTrek%2BOnline%2B3D%2Bprinted%2Bship%2B11.jpg

I must say that i'm really not impressed by the quality of the Print. Especially on the saucer it's way too rough :(
    Most likely i won't buy one at this quality even if it would cost only 30$, which i doubt it would

Yeah, all of the images on their site are rough and grainy looking like that, for all of their miniatures. I would really much rather have the base model with custom decals for the ship name/number/misc details so I can sand it down and paint myself, but these aren't being marketed toward modelers as much as they are for gamers. I doubt Cryptic, CBS, and Eucl3D took into account that Trek fans would be much more into these kinds of details than the players of these other games.
  • xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User
    nikeix wrote: »
    Thank goodness I'd only be buying it for my own enjoyment and not some sort of investment.

Completely agreed. I do have some items in my collections (especially boardgames) that are traded in the hundreds of $$, some that are virtually worthless, but I couldn't care less because I didn't buy them as a valuable collection but as "stuff that I want". No intentions whatsoever to resell. No intentions of joining a collectors club. Yes, it's just a hunk of plastic, but it is one that will remind me of fun I had, which random collectibles won't.

Not entirely convinced of the quality (unfortunately, finishing stuff myself ain't an alternative, given my skill set) but if they could improve on it and it won't be too expensive, I can easily see me buying my Scryer, my KDF-Dyson kitbash, maybe even a Sarr Theln.

Now, if they did Captains (or even better: a whole away team set), then I may have to skip lunch for a few days (metaphorically speaking) to gather the money. Especially since I'll not only get increased shipping costs but also a hefty VAT.
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
    Oh, and the details don't look painted to me, but also 3D printed. Registration number and name seem to be not on the plane of the hull.
    And to reply to myself once more: I'd really like to see examples of KDF/Rom ships, since they look somewhat different and I'd like to see how the coloring would be.
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    burstorion wrote: »
    I wonder if you can get certain parts of each model so you can kitbash them?​​

These will be custom models, based on your in-game ship. Kit-bashing is what you do before ordering.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    This looks very interesting to me. Want to read more about it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    Checked the company's website.

https://eucl3d.com/collections

They generally offer two size options (though some games only have one, which is probably the case with STO based on the original blog).

Small (3-5in): $30-$40.
    Large (9in): $100.

For what Cryptic is showing off, I'd expect to pay over $100.

Post edited by duncanidaho11 on
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • horizons2052horizons2052 Member Posts: 184 Arc User
    I am not happy with this, not at all. I mean, there are tons of bugs in game right now, tons of them. There should not be one single person in their office that has the time, not even a couple minutes a day, to coordinate this. And here you all are, taking a break yourselves from asking them to fix their numerous bugs, to cheer them on, for what? A toy? Come one people, where is your sense?

I am not even one who usually complains about bugs either, just that two months ago they introduced some new content and broke as many things as they introduced, things that were not broken previously. Honestly here, I have played indie games that perform and play better than this old tin can.
  • alexraptorralexraptorr Member Posts: 1,192 Arc User
    I am not happy with this, not at all. I mean, there are tons of bugs in game right now, tons of them. There should not be one single person in their office that has the time, not even a couple minutes a day, to coordinate this. And here you all are, taking a break yourselves from asking them to fix their numerous bugs, to cheer them on, for what? A toy? Come one people, where is your sense?

I am not even one who usually complains about bugs either, just that two months ago they introduced some new content and broke as many things as they introduced, things that were not broken previously. Honestly here, I have played indie games that perform and play better than this old tin can.

Clearly you don't understand how a company or game studio works.
    Managers and planners don't fix bugs, they don't even have the know how or competence to do so, because its not their job.
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid." - Q
  • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User

The people who coordinate these things are not the same people who develop the game, and likely have zero to little computer programming knowledge, and therefore do not have the type of skillset a rational, reasonable human being would desire to work on fixing the bugs in the game to begin with.​​
    ExtxpTp.jpg