test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[PODCAST] Tribbles in Ecstasy Take Take 231: "Coming up Short!"

midniteshadow7midniteshadow7 Member Posts: 787 Arc User
Tribbles in Ecstasy Take 231: "Coming up Short!" has warped on to Holosuite Media, you can download and stream it from:
Tribbles231.png

A short show this week, at least for Tribbles recently! In this week's episode we discuss this week's news from Star Trek Online, Star Trek Timelines (0:26:40), Star Trek News (0:30:09), Fan Productions (0:32:47) followed by Community Feedback (0:35:42).

Our community questions this week are:
1. Is anyone else doing or recently done a rewatch of all the Star Trek TV series and/or films?
2. Now that we aren't doing 5 hour shows, are you more eager to listen to us?
3. Do you have any questions you would like Dragon to ask at Fort Collins ComicCon to GiGi Edgley or the Fan Film panel?

Please reply to this post with any feedback you have about any topic we've covered or even about the show in general, we'd love to hear what our listeners have to say. And feedback to us now and be entered in to a prize draw to get yourself a Star Trek Online Legacy of Romulus Starter Pack, Zen and Lockbox keys. Rules are here: http://holosuitemedia.com/tiefeedbackgiveaways2016/ - Just reply to this post to enter.

LLAP

#STO #StarTrek #Timelines #Beyond #Discovery

Comments

• chozoelder2ndchozoelder2nd Member Posts: 440 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    1.) Yes. I'm watching through all of DS9 at a glacial pace. I started because I actually never watched the whole series and I could never manage to get around to it. Since this year is the 50th, I had enough of telling myself that I'd get to it eventually. I swore to myself that I was going to actually sit down and watch this show. Boy does DS9 jump on the space-magic express harder than anything else I've seen. Not that I'm complaining, mind you. I'm enjoying the show immensely. I can't wait to get to the Defiant.

2.) Five hours is really pushing it. That doesn't necessarily mean I won't listen to it, but it does make it a bit harder to finish it before your next episode is out. I think podcasts should stay between two to four hours. Honestly though, it's not that big of a deal (at least for me). I'll always get to it eventually. I just feel bad for Midnite having to stay up so late, even if he's used to it.

Also yes, I love interviews, especially when it's with people from Cryptic. Those are my favorite episodes. I really appreciate it whenever they take personal time outside of work to do them. I try to listen to or read any interview I can manage to find.

3.) Nah. I'm good.

Feedback

Sun is correct. Steamrunner is both t1 and t5. Trendy has stated on Reddit that the reason why the Steamrunner pack is gone from Steam is because they found out that people were exploiting and getting it for free. She's looking into options for those who still want to purchase the pack. Hopefully it'll be resolved eventually.

Mirror Event

I was hoping we'd finally get Picard's Tommy gun that would work like the Romulan Plasma Piercing Rifles. To be fair though, that doesn't really fit in with the theme of a Mirror Event. It would work better for a First Contact day giveaway or maybe with the launch of a t6 Sovereign. (Nov. 22nd? 25th anniversary of First Contact, the film? Anyone? Pretty please Cryptic?) I still like cards though, especially when they're Epics with good bonuses. 20 tac per any ship? Very useful. I'll take it. Besides, it's still an easy way of getting marks and dil.

One of my gripes is shared by pretty much everyone, the main reward still isn't an account unlock. Since nothing about it was mentioned in the blog, I'm going to assume nothing was changed and that it remains character unlock. I don't get why it's still a thing. If exclusive ships were made into account unlocks, then I don't see a reason for any event reward to remain as character unlocks. I am of course NOT talking about the large mark and 50k dil rewards, I'm talking about the main reward of an event such as admiralty cards, doffs, Cochrane's shotgun, ect. The exclusive event ships themselves even come with admiralty cards. So to a degree, summer/winter/anniversary event gives admiralty cards that are account unlock. Why can't the same be said for the other event ones? Sure they're Epic instead of Ultra Rare, but come on. Actual exclusive playable ships themselves are account wide, but something like just an admiralty card or Cochrane's shotgun aren't? I don't agree. However, it's not that big of a deal because they could always just change their minds later down the road and turn everything into account wide to let us reclaim later.

My other gripe with it is something I hope is fixed by now, AFKing. It's happened so many times where everything is cleared so fast to the point where the team just sits there for a good five to seven minutes. Then it becomes the waiting game. It's really not that bad (I pass the time doing admiralty), but it leads players into thinking this is how it should be. It leads people into thinking that it's a bad thing for when it doesn't happen. Sometimes people AFK the whole thing because they're either not a fan of time-gated content or because they already expect the waiting game thing to happen.

And then there are the people that realize that you still get credit for doing nothing during the first phase. AFK premades are a thing when it shouldn't be. Their reasoning is why bother when you get the rewards either way? I guess that's understandable for some. The reason why I still bother is because... well it would be boring. I want to fly my ship, shoot my phasers, you know... play the game? That's why I log in.

I have my doubts, but hopefully it's been resolved this time.
    Nope. Still the same.

Also, if you look at the blog, the card is labeled as a science ship. Rather odd considering it's a Terran Dreadnought. Just pointing that out there.

So... t6 'C'onnie.

Okay. I have mixed feelings about it, but overall I'm glad. I did not enjoy seeing those specific ships locked behind the most expensive way to acquire a ship, R&D promotion packs. I do not agree with an endgame Connie being out of reach of the average player. Anyone saying it's okay for it to be extremely rare because it would otherwise break immersion is silly. We already have the Temporal Ranger, Perseus, Gemini, and the rest of the Temporal TOS ships as being easy to acquire. There's no reason why a Temporal Constitution should be a rare jewel just because of immersion. I sympathize with the average player that will likely never fly one.

That being said, an endgame Connie has always been a special case. It's the ship that has been denied and shot down time and time again whenever it was brought up, because CBS said so. Since this is the big 50th, a compromise was probably made. It's likely that we wouldn't even have a t6 Connie otherwise. It was probably this or nothing. Frankly, I'm not with the "I'd rather have nothing" crowd. As much as I want a Connie with the refit skin and a D7, I won't be getting either. Promo ships are just too expensive for me to chase. However, I'll still be happy seeing it fly next to me in some queue by someone who's lucky enough to receive one. That by itself would be enough to make me go "Man... It's actually here." Because it is! It's finally here you guys! We made it! (RIP to those that fell screaming for one.) I personally think it's great. For anyone who's legit mad at it, try not to be so sour about it. Think of it this way. Would you actually rather have another six years of nothing? Another six years of it being completely out of the question? I definitely wouldn't. Come on, don't be that guy/gal.

Also, I could believe it with t6 Excelsior, but t6 Connie came out first before t6 Sovereign.

t6 Connie.

Came out first.

Tier. Six. Connie.

ebd9e1ee32_1420815702_Met-Scrabble-probeer-je-er-altijd-regionale-woorden-in-te-fietsen.gif
    Feel free to not read this live. I always feel the need to point out when I'm joking since it's happened plenty of times in chats where people take me too seriously. So to the people that aren't familiar with me... don't take this gif too seriously :P

Don't worry Sovereign-chan. I'll still cheer you on.
    Post edited by chozoelder2nd on
    SP9Pu.gif
  • alex1geralex1ger Member Posts: 141 Arc User
    *grabs @sunseahl 's soapbox* You'll get it back afterwards. I'm only gonna need it once.

But first...

Community questions:

1.) No, I haven't. I still want to give Enterprise a chance, but I haven't gotten around to it, yet.

2.) I don't really mind either way, as long as the show is entertaining. I mean, I did listen to the four (-ish) hour interview the G&T show once did with CaptainGeko. By the way, no matter whether you agree with him or not, you have to respect his willingness to do stuff like that.
    But like I mentioned before, I understand that some people prefer podcasts that run for an hour, two max.

3.) No, thanks, I'm good. Have fun, dragon, but don't overdo it. I'm not sure if the other tribbles have enough money to bail you out. :p

Okay, MidNite, at STLV 2014 STO had a panel and I think the dev meet-up and apparently no booth.
    At STLV 2015 STO had a panel, the dev meet-up and a booth.
    At STLV 2016 STO had the dev meet-up and a booth.
    So, you're trying to tell me that they traded the panel for a bigger (?) booth? Okay. I still think they should have done a panel this year instead of last year, but whatever.

By the way, maybe one of you can help me out...
    I mentioned before how Dan Stahl went from "This was so exhausting, I don't know if we'll ever do another expansion" a few days before Legacy of Romulus launched to "LoR was really successful, we might do another expansion some day" a week or so after launch and finally "This was so successful, I could see us do an expansion a year!" about a month after launch.
    When Delta Rising hit, we got the infamous meme (sun, the stage is yours...) and while that might have been poor choice of words, I do believe that their metrics at that point in time showed DR to be an enormous success.
    Now the point where I need help... has anyone here heard anything about Agents of Yesterday? I mean, the last couple of interviews have been exclusively about the console stuff. Does nobody remember that there was a pseudo-expansion for the PC crowd?
    I'm not sayin', I'm just sayin'...

Which is a good segway into my next point:
    STO's target audience on consoles is NOT gonna be trekkies. Let me explain... STO has never focused on targeting trekkies. Whenever people asked CaptainGeko why there is so much combat and little to no exploration and diplomacy, he usually said something along the lines of: "This is an MMO, all MMOs have a lot of combat, so we have to have it, too."
    So, they obviously targeted a mainstream/MMO audience.
    I expect the same to be true on consoles. And unlike sun and MidNite have implied, the console audience is not necessarily easier to please.
    And like I said so many times before, you only get ONE shot to leave a good first impression.

Now, MidNite and many other podcasters out there like to say that this is a polished game. Let me tell you a story:

About three weeks ago, I decided to watch one of timberwolf's videos. It was a playthrough of Temporal Reckoning. Guess what. Two of his four BOffs got stuck. On video. He barely acknowledged it and it only lasted a couple of seconds because he got to a map transfer that fixed it, but that is an issue.

Afterwards, in the sidebar, I saw a "First impressions" video. A guy played through the first 4 hours of (regular fed) STO and made a ~20 minute video out of it. He was not a trekkie, but said that he was generally interested in space and the science around it. Someone like that "should" be even easier to hook than the "mainstream".
    At the end of the video he recommended the game to trekkies, but he himself would not be playing it again, because he came across quite a few glitches and found the environments to be too repetitive.

You can laugh at "Safty first!", you can laugh at BOffs getting stuck. But all those minor details, those tiny glitches add up. That's why I'm pointing them out. And "Safty first!" just happened to be particularly irritating because the devs could not shut up about "immersion" and "attention to detail". Actions speak louder than words and the people in charge have shown on so many occasions that these words don't mean anything to them. Remember my STOrytime about immersion?

Btw. the guy I was talking about... when you search for Star Trek Online on YouTube, his video is among the first few links. It got over 127,000 views in a month. That might not seem that much, but let's compare it to... the official AoY announcement trailer that got just over 103,000 views in almost four months. And the STO PS4 announcement trailer (on the official Playstation channel!) that got over 163,000 views in almost four months.
    I rest my case.

Soapbox:
    Any Cryptic artists and devs... you should leave right now. You are doing what you can, you are not high enough up the totem pole, this is not your fault...
    Okay, now that I got that out of the way: Fire in the hole!

I started playing during beta. I liked the game even though it was a little rough around the edges compared to my "main" MMO, World of Warcraft, but hey, it was a Star Trek MMO, so the odds of getting your money's worth out of a lifetime subscription seemed to be rather good. Which is why I became a lifetimer.
    I was not interested in the klingon faction at all, since the EP back then (Craig Zinkievich) kept saying they were a "PvP only" faction.

And most of the stuff Chozo (may I call you Chozo?) and sun and dragon seem to worry about... well... that stuff costs money. When I point out issues with the story... how do I put it... how many people visit the forums? How many of those read the RP blogs? Cut (some of) the blogs and the story team should have more than enough time to rewrite the nonsense they've thrown at us... Cheap and easy fix. Well, it might not be as easy if you were a bad writer, but the RP blogs show a lot of talent, so it should be easy.

Making ships is not that cheap. Now, don't get me wrong, there should be T6 KDF and romulan science vessels. The KDF "should" have gotten the first T6 carrier. But at the end of the day the amount of ships they get will always be limited.
    And then there's the sad joke they call marketing...
    And that's why I try to get them to focus on polish and good (faction-agnostic klingon- or romulan-focused) stories and immersion and... what? T6 TOS Connie? Yeah, sure, CBS said... You're not joking?

[expletives deleted]

So... the camel's back just broke. I hope you're proud of yourselves.

How do I put this? Uhm, imagine you're on a plane and you're scheduled to go from New York to San Francisco. And right after takeoff people start complaining that, since you're going to california, you should go to Los Angeles because it's such an iconic city in california.
    And the pilot, instead of just putting these people in their place, actually asks his higher-ups whether they could do what these people are asking for.
    And after all this time they agree... Whoever makes these decisions at Cryptic/Prefect World/CBS, you know nothing about immersion.
    If Cryptic actually believed in the setting of their game, they should be pushing it. Explore strange NEW worlds, boldly go where NO ONE has gone before. Not go back and sacrifice any logic and reason on the altar of nostalgia and money.

And the people asking for a TOS connie, imagine there was a TOS game. There is not? I wonder what the almighty metrics have to say about that. Sorry, I got a little... or more than a little... sarcastic there.
    But imagine there was a TOS game and people KNEW it would be a TOS game and they still kept asking for the galaxy class until the devs gave in. If you tell me you'd be okay with that, I'd probably think you're either a troll or a liar. But hey, on the off-chance that you're actually serious, I apologize.

"Immersion"... what a joke.
    *returns the soapbox*
    Thanks for letting me use it, sun.
  • chozoelder2ndchozoelder2nd Member Posts: 440 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    alex1ger wrote: »
    You can laugh at "Safty first!", you can laugh at BOffs getting stuck. But all those minor details, those tiny glitches add up. That's why I'm pointing them out. And "Safty first!" just happened to be particularly irritating because the devs could not shut up about "immersion" and "attention to detail". Actions speak louder than words and the people in charge have shown on so many occasions that these words don't mean anything to them. Remember my STOrytime about immersion?
    In terms of "Safty first!", I laugh. I stated that I understood why you bring it up. Sorry if I yanked the chain too hard. I'll avoid it from now on.

But I don't laugh at bugs, bad hangar pet AI, or anything like that.

STO's target audience on consoles is NOT gonna be trekkies. Let me explain... STO has never focused on targeting trekkies. Whenever people asked CaptainGeko why there is so much combat and little to no exploration and diplomacy, he usually said something along the lines of: "This is an MMO, all MMOs have a lot of combat, so we have to have it, too."
    So, they obviously targeted a mainstream/MMO audience.
    I expect the same to be true on consoles. And unlike sun and MidNite have implied, the console audience is not necessarily easier to please.
    And like I said so many times before, you only get ONE shot to leave a good first impression.
    To be perfectly fair, if a game is tied to a franchise, it's not a stretch to say or assume the biggest slice of that audience are fans of said franchise. If some fighting game based on superheros came out, then obviously people that are into fight games are part of the target audience, but is it fair to say that superhero fans that enjoy playing video games are "NOT" part of that target audience? Marvel vs. Capcom 2 introduced me to hardcore fighting games, and as someone who really likes Spider-Man (and Mega Man as well to a certain extent), I was lured in because I was like "Woah! Look at that! Spider-Man is fighting against Mega Man!" Perhaps STO will introduce Trekkies to MMOs. I remember a lot of people saying that's how it was for them. It's not like console MMOs are common.

(may I call you Chozo?)
    Sure you can. Chozo, Chozo Elder, chozoelder2nd, doesn't make a difference to me.

Making ships is not that cheap. Now, don't get me wrong, there should be T6 KDF and romulan science vessels. The KDF "should" have gotten the first T6 carrier. But at the end of the day the amount of ships they get will always be limited.
    And then there's the sad joke they call marketing...
    And that's why I try to get them to focus on polish and good (faction-agnostic klingon- or romulan-focused) stories
    Yes, but they are the biggest money makers in the game. They're going to be making a lot of moo-lah off the t6 Connie being a promo ship. It's an argument that's been going back and forth for as long as I remember.

"Make more content for KDF and Roms!"
    "But that player base is smaller and it would be unwise since it's not beneficial financially."
    "The player base is smaller because there's no content! Make more AND THEN you can say whether it was worth it or not in the long run."

Personally, I understand the why. But it doesn't change the fact that it bothers me more than the other stuff. This is just my opinion. The lack of content for those factions hurts me more than any issue the game has. Like I said, it's in my nature.

And the people asking for a TOS connie, imagine there was a TOS game. There is not? I wonder what the almighty metrics have to say about that. Sorry, I got a little... or more than a little... sarcastic there.
    But imagine there was a TOS game and people KNEW it would be a TOS game and they still kept asking for the galaxy class until the devs gave in. If you tell me you'd be okay with that, I'd probably think you're either a troll or a liar. But hey, on the off-chance that you're actually serious, I apologize.
    I was one of the people asking for and wanting an end game Connie Refit and Exeter. I am neither a troll or a liar. If you're referring to my post on the bit about immersion of t6 Connie and the rest of the TOS ships, I say that because they are classified as "Temporal" ships. They're ships from the future disguised as old dinky ones but have the tech of a 29th or 31st (or whatever) century ship. It also doesn't matter whether or not it uses the 25th century skins. The same logic can be applied. At least they provided a reason for why they have Connies flying around. I honestly don't even need a reason. I'm not someone who cries "But muh immersion!"

If a Galaxy class appeared in some TOS game, then I reckon their reasoning would be because of accidental time travel via entering a black hole or whatever. It's not the worst thing in the world to bring in playable end game ships from the future. They already did with one of the oldest lockbox ships in the game, Wells (and Mobius). Then look at all the Chronos dreadnoughts, Eternal vessels, and Paladin battlecruisers casually in orbit above ESD and Qo'noS. I wouldn't have much of a different reaction if a bunch of Galaxy class ships were in some TOS game.

Does it make sense for these Temporal ships to be seen flying around our current 25th century disguised as TOS ships? No. The very notion is quite funny to think about, but so is the notion of a lot of other stuff in this game. I guess the idea would be for them to be able to disguise themselves for any mission that involves going back in time in the 23rd century? Idk. In reality, it's just for space barbie. Either way one looks at it, locking out the TOS skins would've been stupid, as those are giant selling points to players.

The one thing I'm not okay with is locking it behind the most expensive paywall, R&D promotion. I wanted an end game Connie to be available to the average player. At least a lot of money will be pouring in for Cryptic because of it. Timber Wolf brought up a good point though, we don't know how much of it goes to CBS since it's the Connie we're talking about here.
    Post edited by chozoelder2nd on
    SP9Pu.gif
  • nunoespadinha#0711 nunoespadinha Member Posts: 124 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    1. Is anyone else doing or recently done a rewatch of all the Star Trek TV series and/or films?
    Yup.. I'm watching the all Star Trek universe series and movies in a chronological way.. Finished the TOS series and movies, now onto the Animated Series and TNG will come next.

2. Now that we aren't doing 5 hour shows, are you more eager to listen to us?
    I've been following your shows since when i joined STO, in the past December! I enjoy it a lot, so for me it makes no difference if it is 5 hours or less.. or more, actually :)

3. Do you have any questions you would like Dragon to ask at Fort Collins ComicCon to GiGi Edgley or the Fan Film panel?
    Not really! Anyway i want to show my support to all the fan movies and series related to Star Trek. I'm collecting them all and i admire the dedication of all the people involved! As a theater amateur actor myself i wish i could join some of these sometime in the future..

As feedback i just want to say that i'm loving to be inside the Star Trek community again, and your shows helped a lot on that.. It was back in the 80's when i was one of the only Trekkies around my place.. we had no internet or whatever so i always felt a bit alone on my path. Last December i got into STO and gladly met a lot of new people and gathered some new friends.. the ones that love Star trek as much as i do. For me that was enough, got me the urge to be a Trekkie again.. i'm nowadays again "consuming" everything Trek and, also, STO related stuff.. so "Tribbles in Ectasy" is definetly an asset for me.. keep up the good work!! People is listening, even here in the Middle East.​​
    U.S.S. Achiever
    Junae, Girquay, Meman'Ikan, Deanna, Elisa Flores, Nuno Espadinha, Heidi, Kolez, T'Vrell, Zarva, Vocan, Oeshi
    Zv9NH5Z.png
  • alex1geralex1ger Member Posts: 141 Arc User
    @chozoelder2nd

Okay, I will use some of the points you make in the new feedback thread, but let's clarify a few things here. ;)

I reiterated on "safty first" because it IS ridiculous. There is no way anyone would ever leave the game over a typo. That was never the point. And showing that the devs contradict themselves also wasn't the point. Well, that's not entirely true, there's a lot of context going on here and that is part of it. I will go into detail in the new thread, I'm just trying to let you know that you have not "yanked my chain". Sorry if you thought you had.

Oh and sorry about the "either a troll or a liar" part. I mentioned before that I apologize to people who are serious about that, so I will: I'm sorry.