test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Site Wide Maintenance [August 30th, 2016]

Comments

• herdox#5280 herdox Member Posts: 1 New User
    IMO, in all this maintenence European players are ignored. We have 1,5 day without possibility to enter the game. Cryptic need to revise date and time to do such things.
  • alissa#5135 alissa Member Posts: 59 Arc User
    I use to play wow they ripped me off so i don't play wow.. but the 5 hours down time and no fixes? Must be clearing files, defraging, running virous scan, and maybe adding more ram... lol who knows
    trennan wrote: »
    5 hours of downtime on the day WoW launches Legion ... this is either brilliant (anticipating low player numbers) or incredibly poor planning (giving more players a reason to try a competitors game), i cant decide which TBH.

It's WoW. It'a recycled stroyline, a basic continuation of TBC reboot. The fact that people still play wow is rather amazing,
    trennan wrote: »
    5 hours of downtime on the day WoW launches Legion ... this is either brilliant (anticipating low player numbers) or incredibly poor planning (giving more players a reason to try a competitors game), i cant decide which TBH.

It's WoW. It'a recycled stroyline, a basic continuation of TBC reboot. The fact that people still play wow is rather amazing,

A Great man once said "Live Long and Prosper, I have been and always shall be your friend"
  • berginsbergins Member Posts: 3,450 Arc User
    11 hours of notice isn't notice. This has been an issue all along, so I'm not surprised.

Disappointed, but not surprised.
    "Logic is a little tweeting bird chirping in a meadow. Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell BAD." - Spock
  • stoadmiral1983stoadmiral1983 Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    IMO, in all this maintenence European players are ignored. We have 1,5 day without possibility to enter the game. Cryptic need to revise date and time to do such things.

They plan maintenance when user count is typically lowest. Unfortunately, this means that Europeans will get the shaft since there are more stateside players.
  • themesaoraclethemesaoracle Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    Since it would seem many of the posters in this thread are from Europe or the UK it might help you to know that the first Monday in September is Memorial Day in the United States. They are doing the server maintenance early as they do with all observed US holidays in anticipation of higher server traffic for the extended weekend. (most people take the preceding Friday off as well and some also take Thursday off). This is not for any bug fixes in any of their games, but just to get their weekly server maintenance done early.
  • sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    Since it would seem many of the posters in this thread are from Europe or the UK it might help you to know that the first Monday in September is Memorial Day in the United States. They are doing the server maintenance early as they do with all observed US holidays in anticipation of higher server traffic for the extended weekend. (most people take the preceding Friday off as well and some also take Thursday off). This is not for any bug fixes in any of their games, but just to get their weekly server maintenance done early.

let's be honest, almost no one works anymore
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• officerbatman81officerbatman81 Member Posts: 2,761 Arc User
    Labor day actually.
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    I guess they figured everyone would be playing WoW since the expansion launched today, so good time to do some housecleaning? :D
  • zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Member Posts: 14,762 Arc User
    Labor day actually.
    1422647048001.jpg?ve=1&tl=1
    f5cc65bc8f3b91f963e328314df7c48d.jpg
    Sig? What sig? I don't see any sig.
  • misterferengi#8959 misterferengi Member Posts: 486 Arc User
    Could this be the "BIG ONE" Trendy was hinting at the other week ? or is it simply a behind the scenes clean up that the front end user i.e Player will see no improvement to server performance or fix to gameplay bugs ?. And just be a 5hr loss of playtime ?
  • krazymainerkrazymainer Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    Why does it say at the top, Holodek back up and online?
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,100 Arc User

Almost anytime the pick would be bad for someone somewhere - so they pick a time (6:00 AM - 11:00AM PST (9:00 AM - 2:00 PM EST) that works for their Network Engineering staff in the U.S. where the servers are located on the East Coast of the U.S. What's so hard to understand about them picking a time for what appears to be a major hardware maintenance cycle on their infrastructure?

(IE 5 hours and affecting all three Cryptic games STO, NW, CO with no software patch for ANY of them = Cryptic network and server infrastructure hardware maintenance replacement cycle - and a big one.)
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."

Because Moriarty took control again.
    j6qabwu1mpzwyidofu9k.png
  • penticrackpenticrack Member Posts: 2 New User
    edited August 2016
    Gr8... current it knowledge: use a HA cluster, every full shutdown is a complete fail these days of it engineering. Maybe usual for an american company. There are balancer mechanisms for leading incoming clients on an other system with current old version, patch ur productive system, after that, disconnect all an let em connect to the new system... Yes u need to know how to build up ur database in a proper way....
    man... companies these days...every day a step back...

Gr8 job managers...show us the way to hell...
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited August 2016

I think that's an old notification (perhaps from the very unexpected late-night downtime not too long ago.) Click the X in the upper right of the box to clear it.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • tmshotstmshots Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    Well, since Cryptic and WoW use Cogent as a server hub, AND that site has been lacking in quality. I'm guessing they expected the servers to be bogged down and didnt want their players screaming at them "IT's the game!!"
  • tekamantekaman Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    More likely have to do with their new game Livelock coming out today.
  • provo2004#3676 provo2004 Member Posts: 1 New User
    got a while longer till 2:00 est
  • strom#9493 strom Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    are we there yet?
  • mmthebatmanmmthebatman Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    Surely, given how much you charge for Zen (£40 for 5800 which won't even get you the cross faction battle cruisers, funny that you never get enough Zen in one purchase to get what you want if you decide to pay towards the game) you would be able to afford to have a couple of back servers so there is no downtime for players. I think I may just stop my subscription at the end of its first month and play another game
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    penticrack wrote: »
    Gr8... current it knowledge: use a HA cluster, every full shutdown is a complete fail these days of it engineering. Maybe usual for an american company. There are balancer mechanisms for leading incoming clients on an other system with current old version, patch ur productive system, after that, disconnect all an let em connect to the new system... Yes u need to know how to build up ur database in a proper way....

That would be a huge investment for minimal gain, I don't think it would be worth it tbh.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • adorkabledoriadorkabledori Member Posts: 234 Arc User

They plan maintenance when user count is typically lowest. Unfortunately, this means that Europeans will get the shaft since there are more stateside players.

I will say it differently. It's not the first time that PWE/Cryptic schedules a maintenance during an event. Rather it's becoming a standard procedure from them to do so or TRIBBLE it up big time (for whatever reason) during an event. Haven't seen one event in fact that hadn't one large downtime so European users are losing one day in total, but never is Cryptic/PWE extending the event to compensate their failure.

• yolduryoldur Member Posts: 46 Arc User
    Maintenance is always welcome. Hopefully this does fix more problems than it introduces.

No, it isn't. Not if it is an extra five-hours downtime during an event and not if they clearly say there won't be any patch notes, meaning no bugs will be fixed.
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,354 Arc User
    Surely, given how much you charge for Zen (£40 for 5800 which won't even get you the cross faction battle cruisers, funny that you never get enough Zen in one purchase to get what you want if you decide to pay towards the game) you would be able to afford to have a couple of back servers so there is no downtime for players. I think I may just stop my subscription at the end of its first month and play another game
    Yer stuffz, can I has? (Well, the transferable bits, anyway...)​​
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • kamenridersaswordkamenridersasword Member Posts: 38 Arc User
    So no patch notes means no patch, which means nothing is being fixed, which means this is just hours of wasted time for everyone.
  • unotetsuunotetsu Member Posts: 660 Arc User
    xnick79x wrote: »
    Funniest thing for me last night was playing Midnight on my AOY. At the end of the climactic battle on Iconia, T'ket picks up the other injured Iconian and carries them to the portal... but the injured Iconian was standing upright while in T'Ket's arms. :)

LOl see this too, is just one of the most hilarous bug I've ever see on this game

T'Ket / Random Iconian slash fics will now be a thing... YAY...

I must warn you, I am quite Isane! I am Grand Duchess of the Abh Empire: Beneej Letopanyu Spoor!
  • xanime0xxanime0x Member Posts: 40 Arc User
    it is all simple logic if you think about it they are under a china company and the way they do bussines is like their other china made games (PWI/PWE) makes as much TRIBBLE as fast as they can to see to you as much as possable and give as little as possable with as little as possable. all the PWI/PWE game run the same and they are trying t run sto the same as them. so you don't get real good fixes unless it cut in to their profit form mrico trans actions. ie the lock boxes for one. so you of corse end up with what we have now
  • freightstopperfreightstopper Member Posts: 232 Arc User
    Well this was actually more informative then the news section for a change, because both the news section and the launcher appear to think today is the 25th August, so they are the patch notes that are up.

Thought something was off when I read the patch notes and saw a load of stuff they had 'fixed' already on it.
  • breadandcircusesbreadandcircuses Member Posts: 2,355 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    penticrack wrote: »

If you're implying that life without STO is Hell, then the dev team is doing a really good job. :wink:
    Ym9x9Ji.png
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    I do not like Geko ether.
    iconians wrote: »
    With each passing day I wonder if I stepped into an alternate reality. The Cubs win the world series. Donald Trump is President. Britain leaves the EU. STO gets a dedicated PvP season. Engineers are "out of control" in STO.​​
This discussion has been closed.