test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

An Apple A Day...

tousseautousseau Member Posts: 1,484 Arc User
I know, this may not end very well... I'm thinking fiery inferno... But I gotta ask:

Starfleet Dental
What is the source of the communities angst towards this fleet?

What gives?

Comments

• eltecheltech Member Posts: 146 Arc User
    If you know it's not going to end well, then why start it?​​
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    With a name like Starfleet Dental you have to ask? Starfleet Dental inflicts torture on Starfleet Officers to get the perfect shiny smile that Starfleet Officers are known for.
  • theotherscotty#9105 theotherscotty Member Posts: 385 Arc User
    ^ LOL... You'd think by the 23rd century (or whenever) dentists would have figured out how to reduce or eliminate the pain somehow.
  • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
  • tousseautousseau Member Posts: 1,484 Arc User
    [quote="eltech;13042107"]If you know it's not going to end well, then why start it?​​[/quote]

Honest curiosity. With the pot shots I see being taken against members of this fleet, it make one wonder.

Afterall, do we not have Dental to thank for the NoP channel?
    What happened, did Dental start out good and morph into some crazed red headed stepchild from hell?
    As long as it can be kept flame free, we should be fine... yes?
  • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    tousseau wrote: »
    As long as it can be kept flame free, we should be fine... yes?

The problem with this is you're asking for people to flame the afformentioned fleet by asking a "Gotcha" question.

Which would then turn into said fleet members showing up in the thread to defend themselves, which would then turn into more people flaming said fleet members... and eventually you get the thread closed after much lulz have been had.​​
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • ikonn#1068 ikonn Member Posts: 1,449 Arc User
    It would be good entertainment, though.
    -AoP- Warrior's Blood (KDF Armada) / -AoP- Qu' raD qulbo'Degh / -AoP- Project Phoenix
  • gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    I don't think a replicator attached to a dyson sphere could generate enough popcorn for this topic.
    *sigh*

Honestly, I realy would like to know.
    About all I have been able to figure out is disco balls... That could that not possibly be the only reason?
    [quote="dondoodles#7112;13042167"]see this article:

https://lootcritter.com/2015/02/27/15-instances-full-more-filling-players-stop-at-vulcan-to-say-goodbye/

search keyword "dental"[/quote]

Thank you for the link.
  • ikonn#1068 ikonn Member Posts: 1,449 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    I think of them as Dr. Jeckl and Mr. Hyde. Yes, I think the NoP channel was and is a wonderful thing. I was able to get map invites to fleet holdings higher in tier than my own, was able to get invites to fleets that had fleet ships I was not able to get through my own fleets, and was able to get Cell Ship invites until I was able to finally buy my own. I returned the favor by giving map, fleet, and Cell Ship invites to others as have done for me in that past through that channel.

They have also done some very nice giveaways, usually during the Summer and Winter events in the past.

About a year or so ago, they sent toothbrushes to Cryptic Studios. I was rolling when a dev posted screenshots of that.

But they "at least a few of them" do have a dark side... I have witnessed some pretty epic trolling of other players, i.e. the afore-mentioned Spock memorial event, as well as harrassment of individual players throughout many areas of the STO map. Usually this happens when someone makes public some kind of event. It is usually (what I would say as) harmless, but some people can over-dramitize what actually happened. Granted my witnessing of these events has been limited, but there are certainly people on these forums who have direct experience.

Then there is the issue between Dental and Xt3rn1ty. I have yet to understand that one.
    -AoP- Warrior's Blood (KDF Armada) / -AoP- Qu' raD qulbo'Degh / -AoP- Project Phoenix
    TY for the resonse @ixionveridian
  • thekodanarmada#7342 thekodanarmada Member Posts: 1,631 Arc User
    There is no community stance against Starfleet Dental.

There are only a few highly opinionated, incorrect individuals who are very, very vocal.

DInb0Vo.gif[/url][/center]
  • nikephorusnikephorus Member Posts: 2,744 Arc User
    As one of the fleets responsible for NoP Public Service SFD gets a thumbs up from me. Just remember to floss before use.
    Tza0PEl.png
  • captaintroikacaptaintroika Member Posts: 210 Arc User
    tousseau wrote: »
    I know, this may not end very well... I'm thinking fiery inferno... But I gotta ask:

Starfleet Dental
    What is the source of the communities angst towards this fleet?

What gives?

It's one part envy against their betters, one part ERPers who got owned generating salty tears of rage, and one part the really wierd broken people you find in any MMO latching on to something to freak out about.
  • thekodanarmada#7342 thekodanarmada Member Posts: 1,631 Arc User
    nabreeki wrote: »
    Pretty solid fleet imho.

Yup does a lot of good for the community I think.

It's a shame that certain people took issue with the Vulcan celebration of life ceremony. Just a few weeks ago we had an AWESOME Anton Yelchin memorial event on Bajor. I probably give away a couple billion ec worth of stuff, including T6 connies and the vengeance. Over 240 players came to celebrate on Bajor, taking up like 8-9 zones or something. It was a great community event.

Yeah it was a great turnout, its so nice to see the community come together like that.

For my own part, having the privilige of being able to help lead celebrations of Leonard Nimoy's life on Vulcan was the high point of my time on STO.

Indeed. It should be better said that Dental's stance is decidedly for the community, and the community recognizes this.
    DInb0Vo.gif[/url][/center]
  • gaevsprivsmangaevsprivsman Member Posts: 314 Arc User
    Pretty solid fleet imho.

Yup does a lot of good for the community I think.

It's a shame that certain people took issue with the Vulcan celebration of life ceremony. Just a few weeks ago we had an AWESOME Anton Yelchin memorial event on Bajor. I probably give away a couple billion ec worth of stuff, including T6 connies and the vengeance. Over 240 players came to celebrate on Bajor, taking up like 8-9 zones or something. It was a great community event.

Yea, i couldnt attend, but i read it was good... from what i know, they ussually have fun, as they dont take this game seriously... its a game, after all. But the ones that have issues with them are rplayers, who take this way too seriously for my taste.... and dentals...
    I'm sure SFD is upstanding, I just seek to understand the perceived dichotomy between

SFD = NoP creator and all things good and fun
    -and-
    Dark Dental = must gnash teeth in opposition

My closest analogy would be my time in EVE, where Goon Squad could generate a similar reaction... People either love em or despise them.

So seeing that here, has me curious...
  • gaevsprivsmangaevsprivsman Member Posts: 314 Arc User
    Well, its a game, don't take it seriouslly and have fun, you won't have trouble with anyone :smile:
This discussion has been closed.