test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Graphical Updates

124»

Comments

• trillbuffettrillbuffet Member Posts: 861 Arc User
    pottsey5g wrote: »
    This is the worse graphics update I have ever come across for a MMO. The after shot has a nasty haze, graphics distortion on areas that looked better and smooth in the before shot and those are some of the worst shadows I have seen in years. Why are the devs ignoring all the feedback? The graphics are technically better and more realistic but they look horrible more of a downgrade.

PWE tells Cryptic what they can and cannot do so reading our feedback or doing anything about it is out of the realm of possibilities. So being that the whale has dried up that they were raking in money for this game with is pretty much gone. They had to find some other way to milk it. Now given this era of initial development was in the era of the EQ, Guild Wars Original, and before facebook games had caught on as they are now. So they are basically trying to get what would be considered as a PS2 era graphical type game into a PS4/Xbox One era game to re-sell to a new player base because this one has dried up.

I've given Cryptic a lot of ummm not sure how to call it with the KDF and such but to say they have any say in these before and after things is pretty a well known fact that its out of their hands. Although they have done a good job getting the KDF stuff it needed before this came about anyways.
  • alidarjalidarj Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    Does any one else agree with me when I say that the Graphic 'Afters' actually look worse.
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    alidarj wrote: »
    Does any one else agree with me when I say that the Graphic 'Afters' actually look worse.

Yeah, lastest Before & After is bad. The After looks like the area is full of smoke and all hazy. Which would be fine in some environments, but not that Federation room that should be all pretty and climate controlled.
  • where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User

Yeah, lastest Before & After is bad. The After looks like the area is full of smoke and all hazy. Which would be fine in some environments, but not that Federation room that should be all pretty and climate controlled.

I have to agree...first thing that came to my mind was: why is it foggy in there?
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    Improved lighting actually takes away from the TOS feel of that environment imho
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • craigrodencraigroden Member Posts: 36 Arc User

Yes. Agree. The "after" looks much worse.
  • captainmikeccaptainmikec Member Posts: 94 Arc User

I was just thinking that when I saw it.... most of them i have seen thus far the after is worse.
    It looks like a steamy jungle in there.....
    "Tickle us, do we not laugh? Prick us, do we not bleed? Wrong us, shall we not revenge?"
    -General Chang
  • jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    The TOS-style interior loses its luster with this update, evidently...
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    Nothing to see here.
    Post edited by evilmark444 on
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • vorwodavorwoda Member Posts: 694 Arc User
    All of the After shots have looked worse than the Before shots. The "improvements" make everything look like hazy, washed out, undetailed garbage. PLEASE abandon this project!
  • pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,165 Arc User
    vorwoda wrote: »
    All of the After shots have looked worse than the Before shots. The "improvements" make everything look like hazy, washed out, undetailed garbage. PLEASE abandon this project!
    They don't need to abandon the project as the core idea is really good. Its just the way they have implanted its that's terrible. I am all for a "good" graphics update but the current screenshots are anything but good.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Uh... didn't these changes go live already?
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • captainoblivouscaptainoblivous Member Posts: 2,284 Arc User
    Uh... didn't these changes go live already?

Nope. Not until post console release do they go live.
    I need a beer.

• pweistheworstpweistheworst Member Posts: 986 Arc User
    I have to say that the latest "before and after" sample is the first one that I honestly think the "after" image looks worse than the "before" image. The atmospheric mist just softens all the detail and the softer (and warmer) lighting removes the "look" of the original series that was intended for that location (TOS-era Drozana).

Anyway, I suspect things will look better overall ... but this particular map looks worse to my eyes.
    In the immortal words of Captain Sisko: "It may not be what you believe, but that doesn't make it wrong."

Don't believe the lies in this forum. I am NOT an ARC user. I play STO on Steam or not at all.
  • cristonic2cristonic2 Member Posts: 68 Arc User
    where2r1 wrote: »

I have to agree...first thing that came to my mind was: why is it foggy in there?

I am unimpressed. They are messing aound with the TOS graphics now, and that could easily upset a huge part of their player base.....including myself. I understand some of the changes, some places should look less inviting, but this is a 23rd Century station, it would be clean, colorful and inviting. The after picture makes me think PWE needs to concider watching every single episode of every Star Trek show and going to a few conventions before they come up with some of these Ideas.
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    I like that the lighting now actually looks like it's coming from the lights in the area, rather than just having an overall glow in all the rooms, but They really do need to tone down the haze in the Star Fleet/Federation shots.

I can see it being a 'thing' in Klingon areas/ships as that adds to their style/way of living, but as said above, the Fed's do pride themselves on being a "Cleanliness Next To Godliness" kind of folk and a foggy room seems way out of character.
    B)
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • bioixibioixi Member Posts: 764 Arc User
    Given the overwhelming number of people saying they prefer the before screenshots instead of the after, I think it would be wise for cryptic to rethink this "upgrade" as they call it, or at least give us the option to opt out and remain with the old graphics.
  • tukanchutukanchu Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    The latest "Before and After" looks horrible. It is entirely too dark. It is like the Devs have never watched a single episode of Trek
    daveyny wrote: »
    ,,,but They really do need to tone down the haze in the Star Fleet/Federation shots.

This is a small room they show in this shot and I almost cant see the other side.
    I used to work in an open manufacturing plant that was almost 4 times longer than it it was wide. 191,000 square feet. I could clearly see the other side. If your space station is so smokey you cant see the other side of a 2000 square foot room, there are some serious issues going on.
  • sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    this week, the lighting is very nice and more natural. the way of the light enters in the cave is really well done.
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    This week's doesn't look worse than the Before! I'm shocked!
  • pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,165 Arc User
    The right side of the after shot does look better but the left side of the after shot looks washed out and faded to me.
  • sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    this week, this is still nice, except the "fruit or flower" bottom right, it looks more like an artificial light that a plant. the lighting seems applied for the whole map, forgetting the details
  • sistericsisteric Member Posts: 768 Arc User
    I have always liked the befores overs the afters of the pics. The update seems to be hazy, washed out and overly bright. Not liking the change at all.
    Federation: Fleet Admiral Zombee (Alien Tactical)::Fleet Admiral Danic (Vulcan Science)::Fleet Admiral Daniel Kochheiser (Human Engineer)
    KDF: Dahar Master Kan (Borg Klingon Tactical)::Dahar Master Torc (Alien Science)::Dahar Master Sisteric (Gorn Engineer)
    RR-Fed: Citizen Sirroc (Romulan Science)::Fleet Admiral Grell (Alien Engineer)
    RR-KDF: Fleet Admiral Zemo (Reman Tactical)::Fleet Admiral Xinatek (Reman Science)::Fleet Admiral Bel (Alien Engineer)
    TOS-Fed: Fleet Admiral Katem (Andorian Tactical)::Lieutenant Commander Straad (Vulcan Engineer)
    Dom-Fed: Dan'Tar (Jem'Hadar Science)
    Dom-KDF: Kamtana'Solan (Jem'Hadar Science)

CoHost of Tribbles in Ecstasy (Zombee)
  • alexsanderitaalexsanderita Member Posts: 214 Arc User
    adwynyth wrote: »
    The real payoff on the graphical updates will be when they get used to the tools and the effects and design NEW maps to take advantage of them. Just wait...

I concur.

Also, I find the graphical update to work properly in most occurences.

Previously lights were only colors spammed on surfaces, now they are real light sources which glow and affect objects nicely.

Klingon environments are those who get the bigger improvement going from the dark chocolate-tinted red-objects of the previous poor look to real solid metal with bronze reflections.

It makes me finally want to play Klingon content which I previously skipped for the poor look.

I see a smaller yet noticeable improvement over Federal environments with the Romulan ones in the middle of the spectrum.

I don't like the loss of detail of the monitors but finally having them be real light sources is enough a deal.

As said, everything will get better when they will create new assets and environments designed to exploit the new tools potential.

That will be the real deal.

Can't wait to play with the update and expecially the newly designed content.
    I still dream from time to time about using the Gateway to doff off-game in spare minutes as we were told