test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

for the next delta/termporal agent type event..

I'd like to see a ship that levels just like the the weapons do. I don't see how it can be that difficult.
it would be unique to level a captain with only one ship. I know I have a pattern of what type ship for each rank.
Spock.jpg

Comments

• tiekosoratiekosora Member Posts: 325 Arc User
    This was something we proposed during early development after Cryptic took over. The idea being everybody has a ship they identify with - a hero ship. Kirk ad the original two Connie Enterprises, Picard the Galaxy and then Sovereign, Archer the NX-01, Sisko the Defiant, Janeway Voyager. I pitched a ship upgrade token once it was clear they were going to implement the C-store, one that would allow you to upgrade a lower tier ship to the next tier. But the PvP crowd, which was extremely loud at the time, screamed that it would put them at a disadvantage to see a ship and think it was easy picking, only to get spanked by it.

Again, this was before beta, and they hadn't made clear how you would progress as captain and ship. Fast forward several years and we have the T5-U, which is upgraded to just as I proposed. There is no reason, aside from not having man hours available, that this still couldn't be implemented for Lobi and lockbox ships, all the way up to T6. Should probably make the Prime version consoles work on them as well.
    18EOWbV.jpg

They make a wondrous mess of things. Brave amateurs, they do their part.
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    If it is a ship that is completely unique to the event, then it should be possible. Could be a future idea for new ships. However, size would play an issue with this. The Tier 6 Temporal TOS Constitution would work, but the Vengeance would be too big for it. Although, it could work if it is seriously damaged when you get it. You are not actually upgrading the ship, but repairing damaged systems until it goes from Tier 1 to Tier 6. An ancient ship similar to the Obelisk Carrier would work with the repairing damaged systems to get it to Tier 6.
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    starkaos wrote: »
    If it is a ship that is completely unique to the event, then it should be possible. Could be a future idea for new ships. However, size would play an issue with this. The Tier 6 Temporal TOS Constitution would work, but the Vengeance would be too big for it. Although, it could work if it is seriously damaged when you get it. You are not actually upgrading the ship, but repairing damaged systems until it goes from Tier 1 to Tier 6. An ancient ship similar to the Obelisk Carrier would work with the repairing damaged systems to get it to Tier 6.

That's an interesting idea -- for example it starts with only 2 working forward weapon slots, and you need to find items and learn how to unlock the others.

It doesn't really fit in with being a Federation officer, but then neither do the lockbox and lobi ships.

• starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    starkaos wrote: »

That's an interesting idea -- for example it starts with only 2 working forward weapon slots, and you need to find items and learn how to unlock the others.

It doesn't really fit in with being a Federation officer, but then neither do the lockbox and lobi ships.

That is why I mentioned the Obelisk Carrier. Having a perfectly fine alien ship that has been abandoned for thousands of years doesn't make sense. Even if it is perfectly fine, then it would take a while to figure out its systems. So you could be working to repair it or crack its systems and it would still use the same upgradability system.

Certainly makes obtaining the ship more interesting than doing a mission and scanning for Omega particles for an Event Reputation project. Finishing the mission would grant a Tier 1 Ancient Alien ship. Doing some more objectives would turn it into a Tier 2 ship. By the time we are done, it is a Tier 6 ship. Of course, it would have to be a permanent addition to the game instead of only available for a few weeks
  • bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    apart from the T5 to T5U upgrade option (which isnt even a full upgrade in any case) I honestly cant see this happening, this would undoubtedly have a negative effect on ship sales.

the current mastery system for T5U and T6 ships is the closest we will ever get to ships that upgrade over time.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.