test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

R&D Pack Promotion

Comments

• chozoelder2ndchozoelder2nd Member Posts: 440 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    What also makes this promo extra disgusting and vile is how they flaunted the Kelvin Constitution and even gave it a TOS Hull Material! Intentionally misleading people into thinking that "this was it" as far as the Constitution was concerned.

Disgusting...

lol Come on now...

I don't like R&D promos any more than you do, but if anyone actually thought this
    rbI9bFf.gif
    SP9Pu.gif
  • alexraptorralexraptorr Member Posts: 1,192 Arc User
    valoreah wrote: »
    Your living in a dream world. This does not even exist in the realm of possibility.
    F2p games thrive off whales rather than the average player. These so-called whales are a small subset of rich people that can literally afford anything, and they don't give a damn about anyone else than their own satisfaction, and they are also the only ones greedy corporations care about.

Interesting point of view. Were you to own your own business, would you cater to those customers who can afford your product(s), thereby keeping you and your business profitable or focus on people who cannot afford your product(s)?

Were I to own my own business I would not try to artificially inflate prices of my products to exclude what would most likely be my largest customer base.
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid." - Q
  • cryptkeeper0cryptkeeper0 Member Posts: 989 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    I see a lot of rage here directed towards Cryptic, but you have to understand that they are pursuing a successful business model that has been encouraged by the players.

There is a way for everyone that wants the TOS Constitution end game ship to get it, but it will require the same amount of discipline that the fans way back when used to save the show and make this game possible.

This is not a dig at Cryptic as I'm still over the moon over the Kelvin Universe stuff and I'm quite happy, so much so that I actually got a lifetime subscription after 6 years.

If everyone treats the TOS Constitution the same way they treated the Kelvin Constitution then the ship will be available on the exchange for a reasonable price. (the Kelvin Constitution is about 50 bucks right now)

If this offer doesn't gain a lot of money for Cryptic then they will offer it in a different manner such as those that have been suggested by the people here.

Instead of Rage restraint is called for.

You do know these R&D Packs drop rates are extremely low much lower then a lockbox ship. They will never be reasonable much like the bug ship. But I personally won't support this obvious, breaking of rules they decided on. They could have easily made it c-store, and made quite abit. I know there will be people who buy into this but if you care about the rules cryptic set for themselves when they made lockboxs etc a thing. Don't support this other wise you might see everything in a gamble box. I don't want to see the game head in that direction so I will just stop investing money into the game. Sorry cryptic but this is a sham, and to everyone laughing laugh away. I don't give a hoot about you or your pointless posts.
    You're off actually. The chances of winning a promo ship are actually higher than a lock box ship. Lock box ships are cheaper though because more lock boxes get opened than promo packs do. Also, promo ships are usually more desirable. So more people keep them.

Not in my experience, the chance isn't high at all. It's similar drop rate to the harder find second lock-box ships that sometimes pop up. Even supposing you are correct, you have to take into account r&d packs are more expensive per one.
  • willamsheridanwillamsheridan Member Posts: 1,189 Arc User
    I won't spend 750 Million (EC (thats between 140-160 Euro if i buy/sell keys) for a Single Char unlock/for a ship that should be in the C-store. The only reason why i would consider buying it is if the Refit-Conni also gets a new Skin. Phaser Emitters instead of Phaser arrays, proper TMP/TWOK Bridge....
  • salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    I see a lot of rage here directed towards Cryptic, but you have to understand that they are pursuing a successful business model that has been encouraged by the players.

There is a way for everyone that wants the TOS Constitution end game ship to get it, but it will require the same amount of discipline that the fans way back when used to save the show and make this game possible.

This is not a dig at Cryptic as I'm still over the moon over the Kelvin Universe stuff and I'm quite happy, so much so that I actually got a lifetime subscription after 6 years.

If everyone treats the TOS Constitution the same way they treated the Kelvin Constitution then the ship will be available on the exchange for a reasonable price. (the Kelvin Constitution is about 50 bucks right now)

If this offer doesn't gain a lot of money for Cryptic then they will offer it in a different manner such as those that have been suggested by the people here.

You do know these R&D Packs drop rates are extremely low much lower then a lockbox ship. They will never be reasonable much like the bug ship. But I personally won't support this obvious, breaking of rules they decided on. They could have easily made it c-store, and made quite abit. I know there will be people who buy into this but if you care about the rules cryptic set for themselves when they made lockboxs etc a thing. Don't support this other wise you might see everything in a gamble box. I don't want to see the game head in that direction so I will just stop investing money into the game. Sorry cryptic but this is a sham, and to everyone laughing laugh away. I don't give a hoot about you or your pointless posts.
    You're off actually. The chances of winning a promo ship are actually higher than a lock box ship. Lock box ships are cheaper though because more lock boxes get opened than promo packs do. Also, promo ships are usually more desirable. So more people keep them.

Not in my experience, the chance isn't high at all. It's similar drop rate to the harder find second lock-box ships that sometimes pop up. Even supposing you are correct, you have to take into account r&d packs are more expensive per one.
    I am correct and the reason that the chance is higher for promo ships IS that the promo packs are more expensive.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.

You're proving his point. Of course they're more expensive per box, the chance of landing one is higher than a lockbox ship. Granted it's still a low chance, but it's higher than the grand prize or the ultra drop of a lockbox.
    SP9Pu.gif
  • scififan78scififan78 Member Posts: 1,383 Arc User
    The words "Careful what you ask for" come to mind here. Cryptic played y'all like a djinn. I am happy to see the ship finally making it into the game and I don't mind it coming this way. If I want it, I will find a way to get it. Good luck to all that are going to try for it.
  • highlandrisehighlandrise Member Posts: 354 Arc User
    Absolutely not a Fan of Gambleboxes (Lockbox) and even less Fan of the Super Gambleboxes (Promo) but i still can see why they are in, to Limit the amount "Alien Ships" (non fed,kdf,rom) and non Prime Universe Ships, ***"BUT"*** The ONE most Important reason why THIS is COMPLETE and UTTER BS is the simple fact that they are NOT FOLLOWING THEIR OWN SET RULES! Alien & Non Prime Universe Ships= Lockbox & Promo got it, PRIME Universe and Faction Ships= C-STORE....so....HOW does the T6 PRIME (temp or not) Constitution, D7 Cruiser and T'Liss Fit into a Promo Box? answer is, THEY DO NOT, Cryptic / PW know how much People wanted a True T6 Constitution, they wanted it so much that they Decided to exploit this by IGNORING their own Rules! This shouldnt be supported by anyone, unfortunately i know that more than enough People will still get it, its a SHAME.

those ships should have been sold Seperately and maybe also in a Faction Bundle in the C-Store, like ALL Faction Ships!
    Stick to your Rules Cryptic.
    Maybe now that they've gotten around to doing this, they can finally release a K'vort. Preferably a T6. Also a Sovereign and a Vor'cha.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • tousseautousseau Member Posts: 1,484 Arc User
    One thing I do hope that they differently this time around with these faction specific RNG ships...

Please leave them in a single, tradeable, box... Granting the appropriate ship to the opener Hopefully, alleviating the disparity in ships between the factions... with fewer Rom & KDF opening the boxes lead to their ship prices on the exchange being so high. With a corresponding glut of KT Cruisers on the Fed side.
    edited August 2016

You're proving his point. Of course they're more expensive per box, the chance of landing one is higher than a lockbox ship. Granted it's still a low chance, but it's higher than the grand prize or the ultra drop of a lockbox.
    I proved nothing to his point... I just mentioned that even if he is correct it is almost 3x the cost. The data I have hasn't corroborated that it is easier per even one box. Even if it were twice as likely which from what limited testing on tribble i have done, it's about 1/2 to a 1/4 in some cases, it would have to be close to 3x as likely to be worth it.

But honestly It really doesn't matter, per their rules it is a fed/kdf/rom universe 1 ship. They should not be gambled for, just like every other. Kelvin sure it's another universe, future ships that aren't even of standard fed design sure. But tier 1&2 ships now teir 6 put into gambling that is against the rules they themselves said to their consumers in interviews.
    Post edited by cryptkeeper0 on
  • thelordofshadesthelordofshades Member Posts: 258 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    Were I to own my own business I would not try to artificially inflate prices of my products to exclude what would most likely be my largest customer base.
    In general in F2P games:
    - the majority of players don't pay at all
    - the majority of the rest pay less 5$ a month
    - such level of payments alone would make any MMO unsustainable.
    The MMOs is highly competitive nowadays. P2P is slowly dying being unable to hold its own against F2P model, mobile games, etc, etc

The result - without relying on so called "whales" transactions an F2P can't exist AT ALL at the current games' market. Period.

It's not about greed - it's about evolution of the gaming market and changes in gamers' preferences.

edited August 2016

I proved nothing to his point... I just mentioned that even if he is correct it is almost 4x the cost. The data I have hasn't corroborated that it is easier per even one box. Even if it were twice as likely which from what limited testing on tribble i have done, it's about 1/2 to a 1/4 in some cases, it would have to be close to 4x as likely to be worth it.

But honestly It really doesn't matter, per their rules it is a fed/kdf/rom universe 1 ship. They should not be gambled for, just like every other. Kelvin sure it's another universe, future ships that aren't even of standard fed design sure. But tier 1&2 ships now teir 6 put into gambling that is against the rules they themselves said to their consumers in interviews.
    Even supposing you are correct, you have to take into account r&d packs are more expensive per one.
    If you suppose that he is correct, it makes sense to charge more for a higher chance of winning.
    SP9Pu.gif
  • firelordzx5firelordzx5 Member Posts: 79 Arc User
    I actually laughting hard on the reaction of these people, they don't understand HOW LUCKY they are.

CBS and Cryptic hold an agreement about the TOS era ships specially the constitution class, Cryptic isn't allowed to put it in T5 or T6.

Somehow they reached a compromise to at least post it in this gambling way, but at least be finally avariable to the game, avariable to the players after years of waiting and requests.

Why can't they make it C-store packs instead? because they CAN'T due to contract or agreement with CBS who hold IP

I proved nothing to his point... I just mentioned that even if he is correct it is almost 4x the cost...
    In what universe does 125x4=300?
    edited August 2016
    If you suppose that he is correct, it makes sense to charge more for a higher chance of winning.
    Yes if (1 or greater):1 in players favor. If it isn't then it's worse then the lockbox chance. It will also be more on the exchange then any lockbox ship.
    In what universe does 125x4=300?
    I meant almost 3x typo.
  • wylonuswylonus Member Posts: 471 Arc User
    wouldnt it's better buying 10 pack bundle with a T6 ship?
    no one likes to gamble a random shot packs.
  • tousseautousseau Member Posts: 1,484 Arc User
    I'm assuming that there will be an R&D pack sale for the first few days?
  • gazurtoidgazurtoid Member Posts: 423 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    Well, its good that there's finally a true T6 Connie. And its a good thing that its going to be limited availability. Otherwise every player and his dog would be flying it. I can see it becoming a new status symbol of sorts.

As for those complaining about gambling: as others have said, there is a surefire way to acquire the Connie - no gambling involved. Hell you don't even need to use real money! Buy it for EC either on the exchange, or in one of the ingame Trade channels. Problem solved - no gambling and no requirement to actually spend cash if you don't want to.

I'm more interested in the D7 to be frank. It will be perfect for my Klingon Delta Recruit - I have long wanted him to fly one.

yjkZSeM.gif
    gazurtoid wrote: »
    Well, its good that there's finally a true T6 Connie. And its a good thing that its going to be limited availability. Otherwise every player and his dog would be flying it. I can see it becoming a new status symbol of sorts.

As for those complaining about gambling: as others have said, there is a surefire way to acquire the Connie - no gambling involved. Hell you don't even need to use real money! Buy it for EC either on the exchange, or in one of the ingame Trade channels. Problem solved - no gambling and no requirement to actually spend cash if you don't want to.
    Near EC limit cost ship no thank you... But you and others seem to miss the point. This isn't about gambling or wither you can buy it on the exchange. It's about them breaking their promises to the community on prime universe faction ships. I for one will not support them any longer I hope anyone who believes a company should not violate consumer trust to not either. Otherwise they will continue to find what ever methods they can to pull more and more money from it's customers.

• gazurtoidgazurtoid Member Posts: 423 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    Near EC limit cost ship no thank you... But you and others seem to miss the point. This isn't about gambling or wither you can buy it on the exchange. It's about them breaking their promises to the community on prime universe faction ships. I for one will not support them any longer I hope anyone who believes a company should not violate consumer trust to not either. Otherwise they will continue to find what ever methods they can to pull more and more money from it's customers.
    If your prediction comes true and these ships do reach the EC limit, that simply shows that plenty of others are willing to pay that price for these ships.

As for 'breaking their promises' - I have been around for quite a few years and I certainly can't remember any such 'promises' made to the community regarding faction ships. Is this one of those instances (like the so-called 'promise' that T5 JHAS would miraculously become T6 ships, when Cryptic's blog wording said nothing of the sort) where people confuse their personal wants/feelings as being reality/actual commitments on the part of someone else - and then get angry when these imagined commitments are not upheld?

And even if such a concrete promise were made - circumstances change. I feel this is the right move by Cryptic.

Finally - as for making money? Good! Cryptic and PWE are both businesses and require $ in order to continue hosting the game, developing it further, investing in voice talent and content, etc. If this move makes Cryptic money - I am all for it as it will enable further investment in STO!
    yjkZSeM.gif
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,501 Arc User

"promises to the community"? I've only been playing steadily for about 2 years now (after playing for awhile in 2012) but I can't recall ever seeing a promise from Cryptic that prime universe faction ships would never appear in a gamblebox.

Can you point to a source for this claim?
  • vegeta50024vegeta50024 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User

"promises to the community"? I've only been playing steadily for about 2 years now (after playing for awhile in 2012) but I can't recall ever seeing a promise from Cryptic that prime universe faction ships would never appear in a gamblebox.

I think it's more of a promise that there would never be a T6 endgame constitution.

TSC_Signature_Gen_4_-_Vegeta_Small.png

A interview with Captian Geko with priority one as well as others, over 2 years ago so I am not surprised. I really don't feel like digging through them all. To show you every one but it wasn't just priority one or just geko who said this.
    If your prediction comes true and these ships do reach the EC limit, that simply shows that plenty of others are willing to pay that price for these ships.

As for 'breaking their promises' - I have been around for quite a few years and I certainly can't remember any such 'promises' made to the community regarding faction ships. Is this one of those instances (like the so-called 'promise' that T5 JHAS would miraculously become T6 ships, when Cryptic's blog wording said nothing of the sort) where people confuse their personal wants/feelings as being reality/actual commitments on the part of someone else - and then get angry when these imagined commitments are not upheld?

And even if such a concrete promise were made - circumstances change. I feel this is the right move by Cryptic.

Finally - as for making money? Good! Cryptic and PWE are both businesses and require $ in order to continue hosting the game, developing it further, investing in voice talent and content, etc. If this move makes Cryptic money - I am all for it as it will enable further investment in STO!
    A interview as I replied to above, I've been around since beta though didn't really start playing till after they fixed ground combat.

If circumstances changed they need to let their consumers know why. In the end it's a lack of community dialog, it's a game that uses gambling as method of generating money If I were them I would make sure to communicate especially on these and other sensitive matters like the Gold Nagus. The fact that they don't places it on the consumer to trust in the sources of information that they have. From that information I can only conclude, they have broken their own rule, as well as the informal promises they had in said interviews.

Video games aren't your dad, its not about trust or promises or your feelings or your "relationship.'

Come on people take a deep breath and get some perspective.
    I don't think you understand other peoples perspective very well do you ?
    Consumer trust, is very important to capitalism. Without it, markets crash, businesses fail, I just happen to care about this company following their own informal and formal promises. If you don't that's fine, no need to make big deal out other peoples perspective. It makes you sound very conceded. People can have emotions, people can have different perspectives then you its fine.