test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Have played for about 3 days now and...

2»

Comments

• commanderkassycommanderkassy Member Posts: 1,005 Arc User
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    I don't care if it is a strong point or not...if you can't add numbers to 15 and you are not in the first grade, you deserve to be mocked...mercilessly.

I have a math disability, I have a hard time counting and doing basic math in my head without the numbers turning upside down and backwards. So I should be mocked because I have a disability?

♪ I'm going around not in circles but in spirographs.
    It's pretty much this hard to keep just one timeline intact. ♪
  • forcemajeureforcemajeure Member Posts: 212 Arc User
    angrytarg wrote: »
    jonsills wrote: »
    This is the part that a lot of the old-timers here forget. I remember when we still had "exploration clusters". The ones that weren't "go here, kill five ships, leave" had you landing on planets - where more than half the time, either your team or the object(s) of your search would appear underground, making the goal unachievable (as there's no way to tunnel in the confines of the program). Even worse would be when the two were combined, and you had to, say, get Klingons off a Federation colony - and the Klingons would spawn under the map, where they could shoot at you but you couldn't shoot at them.

The ambitions were commendable - but the technology just wasn't there yet. I'm not sure it is even today. (What we could really use is a strong AI programmed to be the Game Master, but that's still out there on the horizon of theory, not even a solid dream yet.)

Meanwhile, although the missions are combat-heavy, reading all the flavor text can help put them into a Trek context, especially since the revamp of the Romulan Mystery arc ("Divide et Impera" was a real mood-killer, I tell you what).

Sorry, but I have to step in here and break a lance for the old Exploration system. Yes, what you describe happened, just like there was a third Borg dynasty in the B'Tran cluster (because the Borg slipped into the table of aliens and one of the flavor texts that only would fill in the blank of the alien species had a third dynasty, appearantly). But you are writing as if it was the norm. Landing on a unplayable planet was hardly as frequent as people make it out to be and even better if that happened you simply restarted the mission. You know there are some episodes in STO right now that have you spawn under ground if you die in a curious spot? It happens, it's part of the game.

On the other hoof I could tell tales of landing on a planet and encountering some random aliengen aliens that looked different and surprised you with their strangth of weapons and abilities, actually making you reconsider your approach, required you to lay ambushes with your BOFFs you would command manually, create bunkers with engineers or plaster them with sci debuffs, picking off one enemy at a time. Fresh approaches like this happened just as well.

The Exploration clusters were just a tiny little glimpse at how a sandbox element of the game could look like. It wasn't random, it was just a bunch of maps, true. But that's really all that's needed, a dozen maps but with lots of random modifiers and not the same five opponents all the time. It would be a start.​​

I agree that the Exploration clusters were a worthy stab at giving the 'seek out new life and new civilizations' flavor back to the game. It is unfortunate the OP didn't get a shot at those as I am pretty sure they would have scratched at least part of his 'being there' itch for the Trekverse.

They may have only been a template of like, 5 mission types, with about 8 planet types, with about 4 different objectives, but that right there gave over a hundred slightly different missions you could run, in half a dozen different clusters. (I was less keen on the way the fly-to-star, scan system approach worked but it wasn't horrible)

I particularly enjoyed the different planetary environments and atmospheric effects, as they really have the impression of 'alien planet'.

Not sure if anyone has tried to access those old planet environments and mission types in Foundry, is anything like that even accessible anymore?
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Mockery is not needed on these Forums against others. That should be reserved exclusively for Cryptic.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    A good bit is fighting stuff. However there is a few spots here and there that isn't. Then you have some good funny stuff that happens as well.

I kinda do a RP view of it. So each of my character's its their own story. To break up all the fighting. I go to my ship's interior, or starbase for other things. This way it kinda breaks it up some between episodes. In the ship interior, I resupply my ground crew, get the next mission and turn in the one I just did, etc. I go to starbases to sell my loot, also to resupply my ground crew, and other things.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    angrytarg wrote: »
    jonsills wrote: »
    This is the part that a lot of the old-timers here forget. I remember when we still had "exploration clusters". The ones that weren't "go here, kill five ships, leave" had you landing on planets - where more than half the time, either your team or the object(s) of your search would appear underground, making the goal unachievable (as there's no way to tunnel in the confines of the program). Even worse would be when the two were combined, and you had to, say, get Klingons off a Federation colony - and the Klingons would spawn under the map, where they could shoot at you but you couldn't shoot at them.

The ambitions were commendable - but the technology just wasn't there yet. I'm not sure it is even today. (What we could really use is a strong AI programmed to be the Game Master, but that's still out there on the horizon of theory, not even a solid dream yet.)

Meanwhile, although the missions are combat-heavy, reading all the flavor text can help put them into a Trek context, especially since the revamp of the Romulan Mystery arc ("Divide et Impera" was a real mood-killer, I tell you what).

Sorry, but I have to step in here and break a lance for the old Exploration system. Yes, what you describe happened, just like there was a third Borg dynasty in the B'Tran cluster (because the Borg slipped into the table of aliens and one of the flavor texts that only would fill in the blank of the alien species had a third dynasty, appearantly). But you are writing as if it was the norm. Landing on a unplayable planet was hardly as frequent as people make it out to be and even better if that happened you simply restarted the mission. You know there are some episodes in STO right now that have you spawn under ground if you die in a curious spot? It happens, it's part of the game.

On the other hoof I could tell tales of landing on a planet and encountering some random aliengen aliens that looked different and surprised you with their strangth of weapons and abilities, actually making you reconsider your approach, required you to lay ambushes with your BOFFs you would command manually, create bunkers with engineers or plaster them with sci debuffs, picking off one enemy at a time. Fresh approaches like this happened just as well.

The Exploration clusters were just a tiny little glimpse at how a sandbox element of the game could look like. It wasn't random, it was just a bunch of maps, true. But that's really all that's needed, a dozen maps but with lots of random modifiers and not the same five opponents all the time. It would be a start.​​

I agree that the Exploration clusters were a worthy stab at giving the 'seek out new life and new civilizations' flavor back to the game. It is unfortunate the OP didn't get a shot at those as I am pretty sure they would have scratched at least part of his 'being there' itch for the Trekverse.

Can't speak for the OP, but for me going somewhere just to shoot some random aliens and/or scan some random inanimate objects then leaving never gave me any kind of "Star Trek" feeling.

IMO, the exploration clusters were some of if not the worst content in this game ever.
    edited August 2016
    warpangel wrote: »

Can't speak for the OP, but for me going somewhere just to shoot some random aliens and/or scan some random inanimate objects then leaving never gave me any kind of "Star Trek" feeling.

IMO, the exploration clusters were some of if not the worst content in this game ever.

I get this feeling as well. I would love to see a derelict ship and find out what happen. Or get some new virus and need to find a cure. Trade negations or chase down some pirates. Perhaps some diplomatic meetings. Where is the spacial anomalies. This is the stuff I would love to see in the game. They can do mini arcs with this in them.

Main reason why I hated the exploration clusters was they was too buggy. Most I couldn't finish cause they was bugged.

• drowrulesupremedrowrulesupreme Member Posts: 692 Arc User
    OP, something you might want to give a try, if you find time, is going to some of the other worlds you see around you on the map. I've found some of them have missions that are not part of episodes and not listed in game but can be picked up from NPCs with that green Q above their heads. 2 that spring to mind are on Starbase 39 (go the shipyard section and speak to someone in the corner to help sort out a diplomatic problem (several ways to sort the ending of that one out) and another found on Vulcan. Walk about halfway down the steps from the temple and I'm pretty sure it's a "solve the mystery of who is threatening the ambassador" type mission, which you can fail BTW if you don't catch them or don't convince the ambassador he is safe in your hands. I'm sure more are out there which will sate some part of your need for missions which aren't all about the pew-pew, it's just a matter of exploring... and what could be more Trek than that?
    "...we are far more united and have far more in common with each other than the things that divide us.”
    Jo Cox 22.6.1974 - 16.6.2016

• vampeiyrevampeiyre Member Posts: 633 Arc User
    I don't care if it is a strong point or not...if you can't add numbers to 15 and you are not in the first grade, you deserve to be mocked...mercilessly.

I have a math disability, I have a hard time counting and doing basic math in my head without the numbers turning upside down and backwards. So I should be mocked because I have a disability?

Umm...yeah. You don't know human nature and our inexhaustable capacity to monk the unfortunate do you...

No, not everyone is as much of an TRIBBLE deep inside as you apparently are, you just tell yourself that to deal with your own self-loathing.

What exactly does it mean to "monk" someone, by the way? You might want to hold on to those bricks until you move out of that glass house.
    "I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am."
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User

Don't do it in your head then. If Q wanted us to do math in our head, he wouldn't have give us calculators. :p

But it's a problem with any type of puzzle in an RPG - you're playing the uber-smart Wizard or Techie or Science Officer and you're supposed to solve a riddle as the player, not the character, and come short, because you're just Regular Gamer Joe, not Gindalf The Gunmetal Gray or Spuck.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    The thing I most miss is first contact missions. I got only 2 of them while they still existed. For me it was the best content.

Oh, I found bribe a Ferasan today - wheeee. But doffing is something else you can get into. There's a bit of travel and hunting involved - especially these days.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• vengefuldjinnvengefuldjinn Member Posts: 1,520 Arc User
    ashlar wrote: »
    From what i can see now, and PLEASE correct me if i am wrong, STO, with all of the lore, history, technology and wonderment of Star Trek available to draw on, the ability to give players a taste of what it might feel like to live in that fantastic universe... is instead just a war game. You shoot at things on the ground, you shoot at things in space and pick up everything you can, greedy for ever increasing power.

Yeah, The game is a bit heavy on the pew pew pew, but there are some that crave it.
    And to be fair, Star Trek does have it's share of conflict/battles too.

Exploration, was removed from the game a while back, as it really wasn't very good.

What I recommend is this:
    . Continue to play through the missions, That's where you'll get your lore.
    There are some REALLY good missions too.

When you need a break, or want to try something else:
    .You can level up your duty officers, or level up on the Admiralty system.
    . You can start leveling up on the crafting.

Then there is STO's crown jewel for getting your Trek fix.
    The Foundry.
    Player authored content, is your ticket laddie. Written by Star Trek fans, FOR Star Trek fans.
    Some GREAT stuff to do there.

Then there's the social aspect of the game. It IS AN MMO, so join a fleet, meet up with other players, You can even role play if that's your thing.

Frankly, there is a TRIBBLE ton of things to do in this game. Joining a fleet, an active fleet, will open all kinds of possibilities up for you.

Oh and welcome to the game ! :D
    tumblr_o2aau3b7nh1rkvl19o1_400.gif

• fmgtorres1979fmgtorres1979 Member Posts: 1,327 Arc User
    Everyone makes fun of someone one time or another. Some people just do it more frequently.
    Like vengefuldjinn said, you can do foundry missions. I found a few that I really enjoy doing. But be ready, as you will find some I rather don't do. As they are just messed up.

The thing I most miss is first contact missions. I got only 2 of them while they still existed. For me it was the best content.
    I think I got one, once. I don't remember what happened in it, though.
  • theotherscotty#9105 theotherscotty Member Posts: 385 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    Kassy, don't let these guys get to you. I don't have any learning disability as far as I'm aware, but math was always my Achilles heel in school too, so I sympathize with those who struggle with math too. And you certainly don't deserve to be mocked at all.

That said, I think if someone really can't count up to 15 (as an adult), then some sort of special needs education might be in order.

Don't do it in your head then. If Q wanted us to do math in our head, he wouldn't have give us calculators. :p

But it's a problem with any type of puzzle in an RPG - you're playing the uber-smart Wizard or Techie or Science Officer and you're supposed to solve a riddle as the player, not the character, and come short, because you're just Regular Gamer Joe, not Gindalf The Gunmetal Gray or Spuck.

Well if you wanna be serious, I'm actually regular gamer Jill.

(my bff calls me Jilly Bean lol)

Any computer capable of running STO comes with a calculator.
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,354 Arc User
    If the numbers dance in your head (and some people do have dyscalculia, yes), the temporal probe number puzzles can be solved by counting out fifteen objects - toothpicks, pennies, what have you. Then go horizontally across each line, take away the numbers shown on that line, and count the number remaining. There's your answer. (And it's the analog equivalent of the way the rest of us do it in our heads anyway.)

The temporal probe number-code puzzle is more of a logic thing than a strictly numeric thing, but it is susceptible to just guessing. (My personal pattern is to change the first digit until it matches, meanwhile noting down the times I got "1 number in wrong place, 0 numbers in right place" so I can plug those numbers into later digits. If the result is 0 and 0, that number is never used in that code, and can be discarded.)

The math puzzles on the station in "Coliseum" are best done with a calculator. Since toggling between the game and the desktop can be a pain, I use the calculator on my phone.

Reasoning out the pattern puzzles on Nimbus III comes easily for me, so I don't know how to brute-force it; my suggestion is that if this one is difficult for you, then when you do find the answers, write them down somewhere so that if you ever replay the mission (on the same toon, or a different one) you just have to pull out your reference sheet.​​
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • fmgtorres1979fmgtorres1979 Member Posts: 1,327 Arc User
    Everyone makes fun of someone one time or another. Some people just do it more frequently.

dino5-21.gif​​

Yeah, you! :p

• theotherscotty#9105 theotherscotty Member Posts: 385 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    I did the math puzzles in Coliseum with a calculator too (actually the calculator app on my phone). No way in hell could I have done those in my math-challenged head. lol
    I did the math puzzles in Coliseum with a calculator too (actually the calculator app on my phone). No way in hell could I have done those in my math-challenged head. lol

Meh, that's not a math puzzle, all you have to do is try 3 numbers and it'll tell you when you hit the right one.
    warpangel wrote: »

Any computer capable of running STO comes with a calculator.

And that has nothing to do with what he was saying.