test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[PODCAST] Priority One Podcast 282 | STLV 2016, Part 2

winters83winters83 Member Posts: 486 Media Corps
edited August 2016 in Starfleet Media Corps
Greetings, Admirals! You’re listening to EPISODE 282 OF PRIORITY ONE PODCAST, your weekly report on all things Star Trek! Available for download or streaming on Monday, August 15th, 2016 at PriorityOnePodcast.com!

This week, we’re bringing you some more highlights from our coverage of the 50th Anniversary celebrations in Las Vegas. We’ve got an interview with Vic Mignogna and the cast of Star Trek Continues, who if you’ll recall have also done recent voiceover work for Star Trek Online. Then in STO news, we’re chatting to Al “Captain Geko” Rivera about the controller functions of the new console version. Later, Henry joins us for an interview with the Star Trek Online Art Team, and in feedback, Ken Ray of Mission Log Podcast has a few choice words for Elijah.

TOPICS DISCUSSED
Trek It Out Star Trek Online News
  • New console version controller functions
The Art of Star Trek Online
Feedback

This week’s Community Questions:

What are your thoughts about the new details regarding Star Trek: Discovery? Your comments may be used in our discussion next week.

Let us know YOUR thoughts on this week’s episode by commenting below!

BE SURE TO VISIT OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL AND SUBSCRIBE TO THE PREMIER STAR TREK ONLINE PODCAST!

Priority One Productions is always looking for new team members that have a passion for Star Trek. Please know that all of our positions are volunteer, but we do offer a well-known outlet for your work. If you have a skill that you believe could enhance our content, then send your contact information and experience along with a few writing samples to incoming@priorityonepodcast.com

Did you miss any of our great Blogs last week? Stop by THIS LINK and see for yourself! How about our latest Video Release? You can also follow us on the social media sites! We’re on Facebook! Head over to WWW.FACEBOOK.COM/PRIORITYONEPODCAST and say, “Hi!” Or, Check us out on Twitter via @stopriorityone for show times and other cool stuff.

Liked this episode? Totally hated it? Leave a comment below or CONTACT US via our handy web form! Enjoy the show!

STREAM WHILE YOU PLAY & DOWNLOAD FOR LATER (iTUNES AND MP3):
Web: http://priorityonepodcast.com/po282
iTunes: Priority One Podcast

SUBSCRIBE:
OUR RSS FEED

FOLLOW US ON TWITTER:
STOPriorityONE​​
Twitter: @P1Winters83 YouTube: WintersGaming
=/\= ========================================== =/\=
Fleet Admiral Winters - Priority One Armada
U.S.S. Wolverine - NCC 831216
=/\= ========================================== =/\=
Armada Leader // Executive Producer // Host // Priority One Podcast

Comments

• tylermaxwelltylermaxwell Member Posts: 184 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    What are your thoughts about the new details regarding Star Trek: Discovery? Your comments may be used in our discussion next week.
    Heya P1 gang! Well, let's see what we've got here.
    • Female Lead, Not a Captain: Sounds alright. It might be an interesting dynamic to focus on a character that's not in charge of big important starship or space station, but maybe a new sort of shindig; maybe she's in charge of a Federation exploration initiative, occasionally making the use of starship(s) to ferry her and her team to survey certain planets for future colonization. Or some other kind of leadership position that doesn't fit the usual starship captain paradigm (diplomatic corps, elite marine squad, etc.). I can't see a "Lower Decks"-esque entire series happening though, the lead to has to have some sort of important role to be the focus of the show; otherwise, why are we paying attention to them? Alternatively, I'm thinking it might possibly be more along the lines of having two leads: the female not-a-captain character who's the audience's introduction to the show and everything else, and another conventional captain character in the vein of Picard (stiff early-TNG Picard?) that both anchor the series.
    • LGBT/Diverse Character Cast: Supers. Make them full and interesting/varied and flawed characters in their own right (i.e., not just 'the LGBT character' or "A-koo-chee-moya", etc.), and it should be fine.
    • The Ship: I sure hope they take the time to make it look better than the first draft, yuck. Not that it's a bad design mind you, but it's a very dated one; it was designed in the 70s, and it definitely shows. The new ship should be sleeker-looking; I hesitate to bring up the Ares-class from a certain troubled fan production, but that ship definitely has a sleek design to it. I'm not sure what mission role the new ship is gonna have in the show, it probably doesn't have to be as flashy and awesome as the Enterprise, but it should still have some 'coolness' factor to it if it's gonna be the new mascot of the franchise.
    • Pre-TOS Setting: This one surprised me to be honest, I was hedging my bets on a continuation of the JJTrek Kelvin Timeline to solidify that setting in the franchise, as opposed to a Prime Universe setting, and a pre-Kirk one at that. I worry that this might lead to another Enterprise situation, spending a lot of effort trying to tie in to various things in existing Trek lore to sate old Trekkies, instead of setting up a new frontier to explore to bring in the general audience. Not that there aren't interesting nooks and crannies to nod to and expand upon in the vast timeline of Trek, but they never really interest anyone besides existing Trekkies who already obsess over those little details, they don't grab new viewers into that space.
    • Possible Return of Old Trek Characters/Actors (not in Season 1 though): Makes sense, given the Prime Universe setting. This one is a bit a mixed bag for me. One the one hand, Trek has a pantheon of great actors and characters to draw upon that would likely be fun for fans to have return to Trek in some form. On the other, which ones would really make sense? Enterprise characters sure, although besides maybe Archer none of them have the draw of someone like a McCoy or a Scotty. Do they dare bring people from the TNG-era shows? How much can they do without it becoming another "These Are the Voyages..." ? As nice as it would be to see some old favorites again, I'm not sure that it can be done in a truly satisfying manner.
    • Amanda Grayson: OK, Bryan Fuller likes the character. I'm not sure what the heck they'd do with her w/o Spock or Sarek around, but then again I'm not one of the writers.
    • TOS Switches and Dials Out, New Tech Look In: Probably a good thing. The TOS style definitely brings a lot of nostalgia points for old Trekkies; Star Trek Continues is awesome for just that reason. But if you want new viewers (especially younger viewers), you need to actually look futuristic for the audience of today. Bejewled switches and rubber head dudes throwing foam rocks just aren't gonna cut it anymore.
    • Serialized Stories: Also a good thing. Nothing against standalone episodic adventures, which can be a lot of fun in their own right, but they've been done to death in the franchise. A good long-running story is just what Trek needs to bring some fresh energy and a new perspective.
    • Sex and Profanity: Oh My! The benefits of non-broadcast network programming. Hopefully kid Trekkies can still watch some of the episodes without incurring parent outrage.
    • Robots: About damn time. Robots are cool, Trek needs more of them. Not Androids mind you, those are special ( <3 Data <3), but robots to do the various tasks that people can't do safely or don't really want to do. Though they'd have to take steps to make it seem different from all the droids in that other sci-fi franchise.
    • Lots of Aliens: Again, about time. Bring on the Andorians, Tellarites, Saurians, Caitians (not the 'chicks with tails' version from Into Darkness), and every other kind of non-Homo Sapien entity you can come up with for the cast and crew; the more the merrier! Make them a little more interesting this time around; Phlox and the Denobulans for instance, were cool, but kinda forgettable.
    Did I miss anything? :)

(Edits to satisfy the profanity filter...one I get, not the other one: what's wrong with door "switches"?)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]