test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Ground Shields

docwatsyn#0722 docwatsyn Member Posts: 4 Arc User
edited August 2016 in The Academy
Having a bit of an issue with Ground Shields. They are being depleted after a single shot from an enemy. Happens no matter which shield I have equipped or what enemy I am facing. I have tried different ground shields and they all seem to suffer from this. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, it's getting annoying.

Comments

• Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    What is the shield mark level, what is your own rank?

A mark VI shield being hit with a Mark XII enemy weapon will be depleted in one shot.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    I am currently Rear Admiral, Upper Half (46), currently equipped with a Recoil Compensating Armor Mk X. But this has been happening since I started playing (about a month ago) and no matter what shields I swap to, it's always the same story. I've tried shields with anti-polaron/phaser/disruptor boosts (is that the correct term?) and still the same.

And how exactly am I able to tell the strength of the enemies weapon? I usually play the Episodes and have been playing Foundry missions quite a bit.
  • Options
    jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    At Rear Admiral Upper Half I believe you should have access to Mk XII gear. Therefore, I recommend you switch to armor and shield of that mark level if you can afford to do so. Uncommon (green) and rare (blue) should be fairly inexpensive on the Exchange. Shields with energy type modifiers like [Dis] for disruptors and [Pla] for plasma typically means the shield has something like a 20% resistance to that energy damage type.

I ignore those modifiers. I primarily look at [Cap] for capacity and [Reg] for regeneration. Those are pretty desirable shield mods especially for very rare shields. But I think a Personal Shield Mk XII [Cap] [Reg] should be pretty reasonably price on the Exchange (if there are any listed).

Have you allocated any Captain ground skill points? At level 46 you should have 9 ground points and at level 50 you should get your last point for a total of 10 ground points to allocate. At level 50 you should also have a total of 46 space points to allocate. There should be a ground skill tree to increase the capacity of your shields as well a improving the shield's resilience which decreases the bleed through damage to your Captain's health.

It should generally take a few shots to drain shield regardless of the energy damage type. However, some weapons will do more damage than others. Sniper weapons can bring down your shield with two shots and do some damage.

For armor, I generally prefer to use energy dampening armor since most enemies will use energy weapons against you. The downside is there is no resistance against physical attacks.

• Options
    FYI, green quality and sometimes blue quality armor and shields at mark XII are often cheap on the Exchange, often at or near "list price"
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice on the shield, I'll give it a shot.

Just checked my Skills tree, and looks like I neglected to allocate any to the Shields portion of it. I ended up spending everything on the two top trees.
  • Options
    Don't worry about that, getting a better shield will help. Also, you can try the ground trait for +shield points
  • Options
    Put your last ground point into shields once you get to level 50.

You should also carry large shield batteries and large hyposprays (or what the things that heals you are called). They are not absolutely necessary for everyone, but since I play Advance and Epic end game queue ground missions (to earn reputation marks) I always carry them. Place 'em in the action bar and activate when necessary. I think there is a 20 second cooldown between uses.

Dying when playing missions on Normal does not have any consequences. Dying when playing Advance or Epic missions means you / your ship can suffer injuries / damages.
  • Options
    daviesdaviesdaviesdavies Member Posts: 277 Arc User
    Dont rely too much in Shields ground and space

Shield only can not stop all the forms attacks ( only effective against energy really )

only a couple shield are worth getting for set bonus or improve dodge

get the free Na'kuhl shield and then use your bodyfat as protection :D

The best module for new crappy toons -> Na'kuhl Phase Shroud ( please dont clean it out, leave some for other peep)

If you still die, then you really need to practise timing it at the right momment or just dont care much about death

* Shroud cant help against certain effect but you will stay alive

Mzd8i1c.gif
  • Options
    jaguarskx wrote: »
    Put your last ground point into shields once you get to level 50.

You should also carry large shield batteries and large hyposprays (or what the things that heals you are called). They are not absolutely necessary for everyone, but since I play Advance and Epic end game queue ground missions (to earn reputation marks) I always carry them. Place 'em in the action bar and activate when necessary. I think there is a 20 second cooldown between uses.

Dying when playing missions on Normal does not have any consequences. Dying when playing Advance or Epic missions means you / your ship can suffer injuries / damages.

Good points. It also helps when your away team is with you to have a science boff with Nanite Health Monitor and an engineering boff with shield recharge.
  • Options

Shield only can not stop all the forms attacks ( only effective against energy really )

That is not an option for the OP. As stated he is currently level 46. The Temporal Front is that missions that rewards the Na'kuhl Temporal Operative Shield in the current Future Proof story arc. That is a level 60 mission.

http://sto.gamepedia.com/Mission:_The_Temporal_Front

In space shields are extremely effective against torpedoes. Of the damage that does not bleed through to the hull, shields absorbs something like 75% (based on posts / calculations from Reddit) of the damage which means of the total damage which does not hit the ships' hull, only 25% of it damages the shields.

• Options
    trygvar13trygvar13 Member Posts: 697 Arc User
    I've never really found a good ground shield. I'm alternating between Mark XIV Epic Iconian and Mark XIV Epic Na'kuhl shields but on Advanced you can still be one-shotted as easily as you had no shield :)
    Dahar Master Qor'aS
  • Options
    The Romulan Imperial Navy Personal Shield from Uneasy Enemies is probably my favorite free shield. The only downside to the RIN armor and shield is that you can only acquire one of each per captain. It's a shame because I would have like to outfit all my Boff with 'em. Instead I have outfitted them all with the above mentioned Na'kuhl armor and shield.

Having played Miner Instability Elite on all of my Captains I can say that I never got one-shot in that mission. Many of the enemies use snipers which does a lot of damage. Not sure what shield my AoY captain is using, but I do know it is only Mk XII.

I also play Brotherhood of the Sword Elite and had no problems there getting one-shot. The same can be said of Undine Infiltration Elite... however, most of the time (67%) that mission fails when pugging because players do not know how to do the interrogations.

I mean that is really sad... an elite mission fails not because of low DPS, but during the early part of the mission where players actually have to exercise their brain a little bit.

• Options
    arionisaarionisa Member Posts: 1,421 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    I have played several toons up to 60 and I have recently noticed the same thing. Might as well not have a shield equipped for all the good it seems to do sometimes. Due to exp from doffing, just last night I finally go to Nimbus with my lvl 51 AoY toon. MkXI (AP)(Pla) shields and personal shield master in ground skills, after the arena fight one of the bar patrons, you know, the ones you can usually wade right through with no trouble at all, took my shields out completely with one shot. I now it was a single bar patron cause he was the only one left. Rounded the corner with full shields and bam, no shields.

Paid close attention after that and it happened a number of times during installation 18 also.

Just as I (and others), have noticed that almost every type of ship out there seems to now randomly have some kind of high damage shield bypass ability, at least for my AoY toons it seems that some random enemies can now one-shot ground shields.
    LTS and loving it.
    Ariotex.png
  • Options
    arionisa wrote: »
    I have played several toons up to 60 and I have recently noticed the same thing. Might as well not have a shield equipped for all the good it seems to do sometimes. .
    Paid close attention after that and it happened a number of times during installation 18 also.

Just as I (and others), have noticed that almost every type of ship out there seems to now randomly have some kind of high damage shield bypass ability, at least for my AoY toons it seems that some random enemies can now one-shot ground shields.

I suppose I will try to pay more attention to the "one shot" issue. However, I normally focus my attention to what's going around me and on the secondary objectives in PVE queue missions. I took a break from story missions when my AoY captain completed the Cardassian struggle story arc.

I forgot to check what shield I am using on my AoY Captain last night, but I know it something that can be simply purchased from the Exchange.

Regarding ship damages that bypasses shields... that's space magic or what is more commonly referred to as Exotic Damage in the game. The Terrans love their science ships.
  • Options
    daviesdaviesdaviesdavies Member Posts: 277 Arc User

That is not an option for the OP. As stated he is currently level 46. The Temporal Front is that missions that rewards the Na'kuhl Temporal Operative Shield in the current Future Proof story arc. That is a level 60 mission.

http://sto.gamepedia.com/Mission:_The_Temporal_Front

In space shields are extremely effective against torpedoes. Of the damage that does not bleed through to the hull, shields absorbs something like 75% (based on posts / calculations from Reddit) of the damage which means of the total damage which does not hit the ships' hull, only 25% of it damages the shields.
    The Romulan Imperial Navy Personal Shield from Uneasy Enemies is probably my favorite free shield. The only downside to the RIN armor and shield is that you can only acquire one of each per captain. It's a shame because I would have like to outfit all my Boff with 'em. Instead I have outfitted them all with the above mentioned Na'kuhl armor and shield.

Having played Miner Instability Elite on all of my Captains I can say that I never got one-shot in that mission. Many of the enemies use snipers which does a lot of damage. Not sure what shield my AoY captain is using, but I do know it is only Mk XII.

I also play Brotherhood of the Sword Elite and had no problems there getting one-shot. The same can be said of Undine Infiltration Elite... however, most of the time (67%) that mission fails when pugging because players do not know how to do the interrogations.

I mean that is really sad... an elite mission fails not because of low DPS, but during the early part of the mission where players actually have to exercise their brain a little bit.

Very good advice
    Mzd8i1c.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Visited my local Exchange and picked up Recoil Compensating Armor Mk XII [RegHP] and it seems to work better, except against Romulans.
  • Options
    If you are not a Klingon, then you can also use Tibbles from the Exchange to give yourself a slight edge. There are some special Tribbles that do buff Klingons though. Tribbles generally do not like Klingons because Klingons have a tendency to exterminate them.

The very inexpensive ones (and there's a lot of them) will heal 50% of your hit points over 4 seconds. However, you can only use Tribbles when not in combat (no red alert), therefore, these are only useful after combat to restore some health before going back into combat.

More useful Tribbles are more expensive. I generally use two different tribbles purchased from the Exchange:

Tribble (mat) = +1.5% Damage and +0.02 Health Regeneration for 3,600 seconds or 1 hour. These can generally cost you between 1,000 EC and 5,000 EC each. But I have seen them for less and more.

Tribble (ric) = +1.5% Damage and +1.5% Damage Resistance for 3,600 seconds / 1 hour. These generally sell for between 30,000 and 60,000 each from what I've seen.

Your bridge officers can also use Tribbles... unless they are Klingons. While tribbles do not buff your shields at least the two I recommended can increase the damage you dish out and either improve your health regeneration or give you a 1.5% damage resistance buff.
  • Options
    Additionally, there should be two tribbles from the C-Store that are free for you to claim. They are:

Nukara Tribble = 1 Nukara Reputation Mark (once per hour) and +10 environmental damage resistance.

Solanae Tribble = 1 Dyson Reputation Mark (once per hour), +1% critical chance, +5% Antiproton damage resistance.

I generally squeeze... I mean pet these tribbles from time to time to get the reputation mark. The +1% critical chance improves your chances of dealing critical damage. You can only receive the special bonuses from 1 tribble at a time. For example, petting the tribble (ric) after petting the Solanae Tribble means you loose the +1% critical chance / +5% antiproton damage resistance, which is replaced by the 1.5% damage / damage resistance buff.

Not sure which tab those two tribbles are in, but they are considered as "devices".
  • Options
    nephitisnephitis Member Posts: 456 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    I haven't really paid attention to ground shields. I never relied on shields for ground combat. However, that doesn't mean I neglected their use and I carefully picked reputation shields based on the set bonuses and other minor inherent bonuses they would apply (like chance for AoE physical damage when attacked etc.). But I never really focused on their performance as shields because you always lose shields in combat, and I personally find it difficult to raise shield regeneration to the point of absolute survival for comnbat. Ground shields are still bound to that Out-Of-Combat requirement before they regenerate at a viable rate, and the only thing you have that provides some sort of in-combat regeneration is the Omega shield trait.

For this reason I personally focus and emphasize health regeneration. It is very easy to boost hp regeneration to a viable rate and it is more solid for in-combat regeneration. This may not be possible at your current level but it is something I urge you to look into once you reach level 50-60 and unlock the reputation feature. You are guaranteed more survival that way. Of course, you should most certainly not neglect shields but let them take a secondary role to ensuring your survival.

Now, while we are at shields I can highly recommend the Omega armor and shield for their set bonus (team wide) of extra critical chance and critical damage... once you reach the required level for acquiring these. The main reason why I recommend the Omega set is because of the shield's fixed extra dodge chance of 40% at MK XIV. Combined with crouch (50% dodge) you can raise your total dodge to 90%, and if you fill out the Intelligence tree this can be further boosted to a full 100%. This reduces the damage taken by you (both shielded and unshielded) significantly.

Do note that you don't need the Omega set bonus for this 40% dodge chance. The Shattering ground shield from the Nukara reputation also has this and if you ask me it is a far better shield than the Omega one if we look at all the extra properties it has. It has a chance to deal 15 damage to all nearby foes when you take damage. It also has a chance to provide 15% physical damage when you take damage and it reduces all energy damage by 5% and environmental damage by 25%. From a survival point of view it outperforms the Omega shield in almost every way.

However, you will not get the team wide set bonus of critical chance and critical damage which the Omega set has the Shattering Harmonics set beaten by a long shot if you ask me. It's a team wide bonus that can raise your entire team's damage output quite significantly (in particular if all four BOFFs wears the Omega set). But if we only pay attention to your character then bypass this set bonus with the Lobi Herald Combat Armor. Fact is, you can bypass many set bonuses with the Herald armor, thus giving you a lot of freedom to pick shields and weapons from different reputations without worrying about their set bonuses... unless that is what you ultimately want to go for.

So to sum it up, once you reach endgame I recommend that you focus on health regeneration rather than shield regeneration for ground content. When you pick ground shields you should focus on their inherent passive bonuses and the potential set bonuses they can provide when worn together with the rest of their set.
  • Options
    redrickyredricky Member Posts: 1,004 Arc User
    Just think a little differently about it. They're not space shields and you aren't likely to tank with them. It's more like that was your one get out of jail free card for the mistake you made getting shot with a directed energy weapon. Well, get out of sickbay free.

There's a reason the incredibly brief tooltip description includes the fact that they regenerate after not taking damage for 3 seconds. Know how close you are to that 3 second mark. Most maps have cover. Break line of site. No cover, Cover Shield.

5 mobs identifying you as a target at the same time and being allowed to pull the trigger is basically a firing squad by invitation. It's a space broadside. Don't let that happen.

The above is my quick and dirty answer. What follows is just one way of playing so if it's not your style, fair enough. It's perfectly valid to play a turret jungle build or a point blank ambush/pulsewave or whatever the kids are doing these days. I offer this way up because getting shot is part of this plan instead of what happens when the plan falls apart.

TL;DR, put the entire pack of NPC's on cooldown and kill the one that's about to come off of it.

First and foremost, bind Crew Attack My Target to something really convenient. No negotiating on this one. I also advocate binding Target Next Exposed for frequent use. 1 doff to chain WM from Eng. 1-3 to add WM to Draw Fire.

Let's get back to that beautifully coordinated enemy firing squad. If we walk up and just pull the trigger we're going to get 5 full strength shots in the face. Lead with a doff'd Weapons Malfunction. That firing squad just lost a member or two. At the same time another boff should be throwing something with a knockdown on them. They're going to get up and fire, but now their fire will be staggered. That's manageable. To dictate who they are targeting a tac will have triple doff'd Draw Fire(either a Tac captain or a boff (or both to dump aggro to the boff)). Enemies should only get 1 shot each before they are WM'd. Draw Fire should have at least 1 other +Res like Overwatch with it so the tac lives through it. Because they're only shooting at 1 person there's only a single shield for the Eng boff to worry about recharging and a single health bar for the medic to heal.

Enemies should either be Weapon Malfunctioned or knocked on their cans. I personally haven't had as much luck trying to rely solely on +Res'ing myself while -Dmg'ing the mobs. Sooner or later I get a hole in the rotation and I don't notice. Weapons Malfunction and knockdowns have really obvious animations.

So instead of a nicely coordinated firing squad we've got a handful of shook up NPC's, what do we do with them? Target the enemy who is standing up without a weapon covered in electricity. Press the key bound to Crew Attack My Target to turn your herd of cats into your own firing squad. In most cases the enemy will melt. Do not let the away team devolve back into a free for all. It is not Do What You Want Thursday. As the Captain our job is to keep track of which enemy has the oldest WM or is about to stand up and how close the DF Tac is to their 3 second shield recharge. If we take too many shots as a Tac that's fine, take cover for 3 seconds. There are still 4 weapons broadsiding for your team.

That's just my opinion, I could be wrong.