test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Winter of Discontent

pwlaughingtrendypwlaughingtrendy Member Posts: 2,966 Arc User
edited August 2016 in Galactic News Network [PC]
The lieutenant swallowed hard, then straightened.

“I’m a Starfleet officer. If I have to die to protect the timeline…”

~Morrigan "LaughingTrendy"

Comments

• Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    Too bad the records showed that the Defiant crew went crazy, instead of that they just died or disappeared. Then Daniels could have recruited them as he did recruit me and my surviving crew.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    captaind3captaind3 Member Posts: 2,449 Arc User
    I'm inclined to leave a note for the Vorgon behind that says..."SUCKERS!!!" But that would be...unprofessional.
    tumblr_mr1jc2hq2T1rzu2xzo9_r1_400.gif
    "Rise like Lions after slumber, In unvanquishable number, Shake your chains to earth like dew, Which in sleep had fallen on you-Ye are many — they are few"
  • Options
    dareaudareau Member Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    Wait a minute...

Daniels was with me, on Earth, running around headquarters helping me find a Tox Uthat during this... incident. Temporal Instigations allows 20 "ages" of Daniels running around in the same spot?
    Detecting big-time "anti-old-school" bias here. NX? Lobi. TOS/TMP Connie? Super-promotion-box. (aka the two hardest ways to get ships) Excelsior & all 3 TNG "big hero" ships? C-Store. Please Equalize...

To rob a line: [quote: Mariemaia Kushrenada] Forum Posting is much like an endless waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever. However, opinions will change upon the reading of my post.[/quote]
  • Options
    firelordzx5firelordzx5 Member Posts: 79 Arc User
    dareau wrote: »
    Wait a minute...

Daniels was with me, on Earth, running around headquarters helping me find a Tox Uthat during this... incident. Temporal Instigations allows 20 "ages" of Daniels running around in the same spot?

Ahh... The Joy of Paradoxes and Time Travel
  • Options
    megawolf0megawolf0 Member Posts: 114 Arc User
    Was laughing when it was Daniels and laughed when she was recruited and they all escaped. Maybe this is a good way for the Vorgons to just stop.

Guess these things are telling what happened.

Leeta is still a threat
    The Na'Khul are going home and there are minor groups left.
    Vorgons seem to be taking a step back from all this.
  • Options
    tinyfistedtinyfisted Member Posts: 193 Arc User

_Almost_ the same spot. _Almost_. You can get pretty darn close without actually crossing your own timeline.

Nice story. :)
    86B6EC45459D17DB8AE6CD5F51C13A90CDC00A85
  • Options
    keletteskelettes Member Posts: 488 Arc User
    Looks like scooping up people who are supposed to be dead is standard procedure in the Temporal Operations Bureau :smile: This makes me wonder if Tasha Yar really died on Romulus... :smile: Or if future-janeway really perished along with the Queen when the transwarp hub went up in flames :wink:
    Wait a minute...

If I understand it right, it's working like this:

Let's say I just pop out of nowhere at 8:00am in a room :smile: Do something, and at 8:10 I return to my own time, which is 22:00 the same day.

Then, at 22:30, I realize I forgot something, so I go back to say... 8:11, but a different room. Once I did what I forgot, I go back to my time again, 22:35.

Lots of traffic in the morning :smile: In fact, the two things could even be done at the same time, as long as I don't meet the "other me".

And this blog isn't the only time they used this "trick" :smile: Remember the Battle of Procyon V? While Daniels commanded the battle, he was also helping the player a few decks down, while ALSO speaking with Archer :smile:

Same thing with the players. In the PVE queue we fly our own ship and... try not to get POKED by a SINGLE FAW beam while closing portals (... every time...) XD In the same time, we are also on the ENT-J trying to get the darn thing ready to do its thing when the fleet creates the opening needed to take out the Command Sphere.

A handy little trick to get a lot of things done :smile: Personally, I wouldn't get tangled up in it though. Could get messy. ^^

P.S.: "winter" and "discontent"? I hear the Snorg talking.

Winter is coming! XD
    "Ad astra audacter eamus in alis fidelium."
    -
    "To boldly go to the stars on the wings of the faithful."
  • Options
    anodynesanodynes Member Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    kelettes wrote: »

Winter is coming! XD

It's another Shakespeare paraphrase, this time from Richard III. "Now is the Winter of our discontent."

Edited: Forgot a I.
    Post edited by anodynes on
    This is an MMO, not a Star Trek episode simulator. That would make for a terrible game.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Arc User
    Would be interested in knowing how many people actually read this gibberish
  • Options
    antonine3258antonine3258 Member Posts: 2,391 Arc User
    I guess given that these are prisoners later - Daniels sent a team back in after sending 'the captain' back to the future with the Tox Uhat recovered?

Guy's on a recruiting spree.
    Fate - protects fools, small children, and ships named Enterprise Will Riker

Member Access Denied Armada!

My forum single-issue of rage: Make the Proton Experimental Weapon go for subsystem targetting!
  • Options
    shevetshevet Member Posts: 1,667 Arc User
    Meanwhile, slightly earlier in the timestream, the sensible Vorgons are photocopying the Tox Uthat's design specs and schematics.

The idea of recruiting people at the moment of death crops up quite a bit in these sorts of stories - it's a feature in Jack Williamson's The Legion of Time and Fritz Leiber's "Change War" stories; you get your agents at the point where they stop having any effect on conventional history....
    8b6YIel.png?1
  • Options
    iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    Plot Twist: We're ALL Agent Daniels.​​
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    I think I still enjoyed it more in Freejack ;).
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    Well...
    Now I know who the "Some People" are, whenever somebody say's "Some People Say".
    B)
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    iconians wrote: »
    And one of us is accidentally stuck in the past and builds a whiskey destillery.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    reyan01 wrote: »
    Would be interested in knowing how many people actually read this gibberish

I'd be interested to know how many people actually read your gibberish.
    Don't fall for it, reyan01. Remember, there is a second button next to "Quote".
    Think happy thoughts, like Tier 6 Pilot Novas with special care model revamp from Thomas Marrone.
  • Options
    thelunarboythelunarboy Member Posts: 412 Arc User
    Maybe this explains the Marie Celeste. :)
  • Options
    dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User
    megawolf0 wrote: »
    Was laughing when it was Daniels and laughed when she was recruited and they all escaped. Maybe this is a good way for the Vorgons to just stop.

Guess these things are telling what happened.

Leeta is still a threat
    The Na'Khul are going home and there are minor groups left.
    Vorgons seem to be taking a step back from all this.

You forgot the Sphere Builders - they don't seem to be giving up yet. Which leaves... pretty much just the Krenim, as far as these stories are concerned.

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
  • Options
    danielhunter1991danielhunter1991 Member Posts: 91 Arc User
    tinyfisted wrote: »

_Almost_ the same spot. _Almost_. You can get pretty darn close without actually crossing your own timeline.

Nice story. :)

You sound as if you speak from experience lol
  • Options
    danielhunter1991danielhunter1991 Member Posts: 91 Arc User
    I liked this story and loved how it related to my favourite mission from this expansion. My main characters back story is that he served in Starfleet as a junior Officer during the Dominion War, so that means there would of been two of him battling above Earth.
  • Options
    hawkyenarasumashawkyenarasumas Member Posts: 35 Arc User
    Good story, I feel like this should have been a mission though. My main character has been operating like Daniels for a very, very long time recruiting people out of the timeline who "should have" died. It'd be fun to do a mission based on that.
    ■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■
    Admiral Hawkye L. Narasumas
    Commanding Officer, NX-91883 U.S.S. Harmony - Prometheus Class Custom Variant
    Fleet Commander, No Fate

■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    So is this supposed to be a precautionary tale about Boratus possibly becoming more of a threat to the timeline through murder and treachery to his own gain as did Richard III did in Shakespeare's play , or is it about Daniels just about doing the same, but for a more righteous cause???
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    "Now is the winter of our discount Ent...erprise." ;)
  • Options
    toivatoiva Member Posts: 3,276 Arc User
    daveyny wrote: »
    So is this supposed to be a precautionary tale about Boratus possibly becoming more of a threat to the timeline through murder and treachery to his own gain as did Richard III did in Shakespeare's play , or is it about Daniels just about doing the same, but for a more righteous cause???

I had the feeling Boratus is dealt with. Unless of course we get tangled in some new time escapade.
    TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix, Toveg, T'vritha, To Vrax: Bring in the Allegiance class.
    Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia, Ty'Vris, Tia Vex, Toi'Virth: Add Tier 6 KDF Carrier and Raider.
    Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var, Tevra, T'Vira, To'Vrak: Give us Asylums for Romulans.

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!
  • Options
    dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User
    toiva wrote: »
    daveyny wrote: »

I had the feeling Boratus is dealt with. Unless of course we get tangled in some new time escapade.

Yeah, we did kinda kill(?) him and Krog last time we met. :tongue:

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    kelettes wrote: »
    Looks like scooping up people who are supposed to be dead is standard procedure in the Temporal Operations Bureau :smile: This makes me wonder if Tasha Yar really died on Romulus... :smile: Or if future-janeway really perished along with the Queen when the transwarp hub went up in flames :wink:
    Wait a minute...

If I understand it right, it's working like this:

Let's say I just pop out of nowhere at 8:00am in a room :smile: Do something, and at 8:10 I return to my own time, which is 22:00 the same day.

Then, at 22:30, I realize I forgot something, so I go back to say... 8:11, but a different room. Once I did what I forgot, I go back to my time again, 22:35.

Lots of traffic in the morning :smile: In fact, the two things could even be done at the same time, as long as I don't meet the "other me".

And this blog isn't the only time they used this "trick" :smile: Remember the Battle of Procyon V? While Daniels commanded the battle, he was also helping the player a few decks down, while ALSO speaking with Archer :smile:

Same thing with the players. In the PVE queue we fly our own ship and... try not to get POKED by a SINGLE FAW beam while closing portals (... every time...) XD In the same time, we are also on the ENT-J trying to get the darn thing ready to do its thing when the fleet creates the opening needed to take out the Command Sphere.

A handy little trick to get a lot of things done :smile: Personally, I wouldn't get tangled up in it though. Could get messy. ^^

Winter is coming! XD
    Also this stuff only applies if you are physically present. If you send a hologram to talk to people....
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    chozoelder2ndchozoelder2nd Member Posts: 440 Arc User
    Another great story blog.

Wait a minute...

Daniels was with me, on Earth, running around headquarters helping me find a Tox Uthat during this... incident.
    Remember Back to the Future Part II?

iconians wrote: »
    Daniels: You know, Daniels, we really are The Star Trek: Enterprise.
    SP9Pu.gif
  • Options
    themetalstickmanthemetalstickman Member Posts: 1,010 Arc User
    I liked this story and loved how it related to my favourite mission from this expansion. My main characters back story is that he served in Starfleet as a junior Officer during the Dominion War, so that means there would of been two of him battling above Earth.

Similar with mine. Mine is a Vulcan-Betazoid hybrid that was nearly killed at the Battle of Cardassia, completely lost his memory, and pretty much had to piece his mind back together with help from his Vulcan half-sister. So he was in Starfleet at the same time as the Breen attack.
    Og12TbC.jpg

Your father was captain of a starship for twelve minutes. He saved 800 lives, including your mother's, and yours.

I dare you to do better.
  • Options
    kianazerokianazero Member Posts: 247 Arc User
    Hmm, here's an oddity:
    Daniels said as gently as he could, “You died. Or you were supposed to, rather. The polaron bolt that grazed your arm there? It was supposed to hit you in the back. Kill shot, instantaneous. But you were distracted by the Vorgons and you turned at just the right time.”

Breen use disruptor weapons during that era. They only switched to polaron for STO (and for an unknown reason).
  • Options
    kianazero wrote: »
    Hmm, here's an oddity:
    Daniels said as gently as he could, “You died. Or you were supposed to, rather. The polaron bolt that grazed your arm there? It was supposed to hit you in the back. Kill shot, instantaneous. But you were distracted by the Vorgons and you turned at just the right time.”

Breen use disruptor weapons during that era. They only switched to polaron for STO (and for an unknown reason).

Well, they were members of the Dominion; perhaps given the scale of the assault, they were equipped with Dominion weapons for the deployment... or perhaps some of them had elected to use the Dominion weaponry, finding them personally favourable.

This in itself might provide the basis for why the Breen started incorporating polarons in the STO era - Breen military scientists taking on board feedback from soldiers who had used Dominion weaponry, and having seen potential advantages to their use, reverse engineering them into something usable by their home forces... eventually working out how to build emitters and systems big or advanced enough in the use of polaron energy, to equip on ships.