test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Abilities used to Harass other players.

Comments

• terranempire#7881 terranempire Member Posts: 1,222 Arc User
    I am surprised you even live in any reality, all you seem do is pick fights with anonymous people on the internet. Over something that died several months ago. You're so gloomy and pessimistic. Put a smile on that face, who knows you might even learn to like it.
    tumblr_ls1bicdm0f1qbu592o1_500.gif
    Anyone have a link to the snowball fight on DS9 of that gif?

See, now that's a threat.

It's humor. Lol, we have posters in the art department of the Joker and nobody took it as a threat. Just like if someone throws a smoke grenade at you in pixel game, nobody is going to ban your account over it.

e440847.gif~c200​​
    tumblr_p30rz12vWH1qdb2vqo6_r1_540.gif
    "Great men are not peacemakers, Great men are conquerors!" - Captain Archer"
    "When diplomacy fails, there's only one alternative - violence. Force must be applied without apology. It's the Starfleet way." - Captain Janeway
    #Support Mirror Universe I.S.S. Prefixes
  • ssbn655ssbn655 Member Posts: 1,894 Arc User
    trennan wrote: »
    nabreeki wrote: »
    If people are actually lagging out of the game because of these "abilities", then the problem lies solely with them and their conscious choice to run STO on a machine that, most likely, does not meet the system requirements to run the game. I travel frequently, and I often log onto the game with a three-year-old laptop when away from home, and, while it's not the ideal STO experience, I do not face any - zero- lag from others' abilities, social items, visual effects, and so on.

At best, it's a poor excuse for one's personal failings to secure an appropriate machine to run the game; at worse, a malicious lie to make one's personal whims seem more widespread and important than they are.

The only malicious intent here is the manner in which these abilities are used. Which is to disrupt the enjoyment of how others play the game, justifiable by whatever petty excuse they can think of. So it's done with the malicious intent of ruining their game play. That is harassment.

Harass: to annoy or bother (someone) in a constant or repeated way

This is what they do. They can argue that they aren't and make excuses. But the truth will always out weigh the excuse.

As far as the lag. Well that's between the player and their machine. That point I cannot argue.

Seriously I can only speculate you never had to deal with spawn point campers in WOW that preyed upon players in certian areas taking great pleasure in killing them over and over as they spawned. Disco balls and ballons are NOTHING.
  • ssbn655ssbn655 Member Posts: 1,894 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    Security teams are a basic part of the game, like having beams on your ship instead of cannons, or having brown hair instead of blonde.

People need to realize that this is a multiplayer game, and that means its not just you, its also other people playing it.

At some point you need to let go of the idea that you have the right to control what other people do, just because you dont like seeing it.

Whether it is people who make their character brown haired instead of blonde, or wear blue uniforms instead of red, or are tall instead of short, or whatever. Just because you would prefer people did it differently doesnt give you a reason to want people to be prevented from doing it that way.

I guess I can understand if you hate seeing roleplayers call in security teams or use the healing kit powers as part of their thing, but you just have to learn to deal with it. It's a multiplayer game and you were told that at the beginning, you went into this with your eyes open and have to take responsibility for that choice.

If i have been mistaken in treating this thread earnestly, instead of just as a dog-whistle against disco balls and whatever else the haters hate so much, I apologize for being so trusting.

Its not all about Dental, Either. If you guys just left us alone, this thread would not exist. Yet you insist on bullying and harassing other players with those powers/abilities just because of what they like to do. Roleplayers are not that bad, If you don't like roleplayers, Just leave us alone and go to another instance. We can't control what other players do.. but neither do you. We like to Roleplay, Is that so bad? Is it so hard to ask to be able to play the game the way WE want to play it? Why cant you guys just leave us alone? We just want to Roleplay without having our computers lag out because of your ignorance.

Whaaa Whaaa grow a set. You want to be treated special because of whatever the hell is your idology and everybody is entilted to everything without working for it and anything that rocks your pathetic little boat is from a hater or bully. Wake up sunshine the game is like life there will always be A$$hats around and you just have to move along instead of stomping your little feet and crying "No No No it's not fair they do whatever and I am annoyed by it. ". GROW UP!
  • sistericsisteric Member Posts: 768 Arc User
    I still think they need to make certain instances specialized. say instance 1 normal instance 2 roleplay and as population demands, instances 3,57 and if the RP population requires, additional even numbered instances. on RP instances, kit and captan abilities are disabled.

Or, instead, you could just, you know, accept the fact that the whole world and all of star trek online isnt here to cater to your whims, like literally everyone else does.

Then the same statement should be applied to you and your group.

That is the only problem I have with Dental, the self-righteous indignation they present when people complain about their actions. And then they rip off lines like the one above and I outright laugh their smugness to claim they are being oppressed from their right to oppress others and that no one should oppress them in return. The very idea amuses me to no end. And I know, in their self-satisfied minds, that they will only continue to make themselves happy and be damned what it does to the rest of us. They lack obvious compassion for their fellow man, no matter how politely they have been asked.

And now I will shut up and go back to lurking...

Federation: Fleet Admiral Zombee (Alien Tactical)::Fleet Admiral Danic (Vulcan Science)::Fleet Admiral Daniel Kochheiser (Human Engineer)
    KDF: Dahar Master Kan (Borg Klingon Tactical)::Dahar Master Torc (Alien Science)::Dahar Master Sisteric (Gorn Engineer)
    RR-Fed: Citizen Sirroc (Romulan Science)::Fleet Admiral Grell (Alien Engineer)
    RR-KDF: Fleet Admiral Zemo (Reman Tactical)::Fleet Admiral Xinatek (Reman Science)::Fleet Admiral Bel (Alien Engineer)
    TOS-Fed: Fleet Admiral Katem (Andorian Tactical)::Lieutenant Commander Straad (Vulcan Engineer)
    Dom-Fed: Dan'Tar (Jem'Hadar Science)
    Dom-KDF: Kamtana'Solan (Jem'Hadar Science)

CoHost of Tribbles in Ecstasy (Zombee)
  • dareaudareau Member Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    The ToS already countenances this stuff.

Here is an example that has been made suitable for all audiences:

[5/15 8:08] NAME@NAMEREDACTED uses one arm to REDACTED FOR OBSCENITY and sweeps a hand down REDACTED REDACTED REDACTED FOR OBSCENITY REDACTED FOR OBSCENITY

Did the chat filter catch a lot of the redactions during the original post? If so, then the youth (who should have chat filter on) would have seen a bunch of stars, that's it. Those of us mature enough to shut the filter off could make a determination on our own...

Engage Devil's Advocate time:
    We may take any actions and impose any penalties we deem necessary to discourage and punish any violation of these terms or any other illegal or inappropriate conduct, all without prior notice or warning. The determination as to whether a violation has occurred and who is responsible for such act is solely within our discretion, and is based on what we deem best for the community and the Service. By using the Service, you agree you will be bound by our determination as to whether a violation has occurred and any penalty we choose to implement.

Various emphasis mine.

Per the italicized section, only PWE/Cryptic can determine whether or not a violation has occurred. Per the bolded section, the only dispensers of justice are PWE/Cryptic authorized personnel (/systems, as we know there's the 'too many reports chat blocker).

Thusly, one can subsume that PWE's/Cryptic's stance on activities that are frequently called out on these forums, such as SPA spamming, ERP, etc. aren't illegal, or can only be stopped by catching the perpetrators with enough people to let the automated blocker mute the conversations.

Now, it definitely seems that there's little to no paid "in game GM presence", and it would take some "mighty influential fellows" such as, oh, the Combined Leadership of "The Dental Family of Fleets", to potentially convince PWE/Cryptic that an officially monitored and officially sanctioned volunteer team could... assist... in the policing of the game for all such ToS violations, thereby reducing, if not actually negating the "need" for "vigilante justice".

Especially if the first "volunteers" are people who go out of their way already to assist in the upholding of the ToS...
    Detecting big-time "anti-old-school" bias here. NX? Lobi. TOS/TMP Connie? Super-promotion-box. (aka the two hardest ways to get ships) Excelsior & all 3 TNG "big hero" ships? C-Store. Please Equalize...

To rob a line: [quote: Mariemaia Kushrenada] Forum Posting is much like an endless waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever. However, opinions will change upon the reading of my post.[/quote]
  • risian4risian4 Member Posts: 3,711 Arc User
    It's all fascinating what everyone's saying here, but there are more important matters to discuss.

I want a cookie.
    risian4 wrote: »
    It's all fascinating what everyone's saying here, but there are more important matters to discuss.

I want a cookie.

original.jpg
    Here ya go!​​
    "When diplomacy fails, there's only one alternative - violence. Force must be applied without apology. It's the Starfleet way." - Captain Janeway
  • risian4risian4 Member Posts: 3,711 Arc User
    Awesome! I guess... I must admit that I have no idea what those are.

Thanks anyway.
  • tiekosoratiekosora Member Posts: 325 Arc User
    ssbn655 wrote: »
    [

Whaaa Whaaa grow a set. You want to be treated special because of whatever the hell is your idology and everybody is entilted to everything without working for it and anything that rocks your pathetic little boat is from a hater or bully. Wake up sunshine the game is like life there will always be A$$hats around and you just have to move along instead of stomping your little feet and crying "No No No it's not fair they do whatever and I am annoyed by it. ". GROW UP!

And they called ME a sociopath.
    18EOWbV.jpg

They make a wondrous mess of things. Brave amateurs, they do their part.
  • farranorfarranor Member Posts: 559 Arc User
    farranor wrote: »
    And you're not even just doing the equivalent of walking around and swinging your arms for the mere pleasure of swinging your arms; you're deliberately punching someone in the face. Some people do this in groups, which takes it from random rudeness to coordinated assault."

Being annoyed by flashing lights is in no way, figuratively or literally, comparable to being "deliberately punched in the face." People also get annoyed when someone stands on Quark's bar, because bar tables are not for standing. Believe it or not, there's absolutely no connection between standing on a fake bar table in a video game and real-life arson. Crazy, I know, but true.

Again, the issue isn't that people are arbitrarily choosing to get annoyed by the perfectly innocent actions that someone in no way intended to cause irritation. The issue is that people are using these items specifically to annoy people. The intent is malicious, and it's effective.
    nadiezja wrote: »
    I have Zone chat turned off. Always.

Which, frankly, sucks. It takes what should be a useful tool for communicating with the community, helping newer players, and learning from folks better than the game than me and cuts me off from it because I have, far too many times, arrived at ESD or DS9 or wherever and found a group of people in the middle of a homophobic or transphobic rant, and it's become clear that Cryptic and the mods will do little to nothing about it.

All kinds of fun are not created equal. When you get your fun by running around deliberately spoiling the experiences of others, be it by setting off disco balls while people are in mid-RP or opening up conversations in zone chat that openly question the humanity and identities of others (note: I am not equating these two things either; the homophobia thing is orders of magnitude worse than the disco balls), you are doing something wrong, and that should be discouraged.

/ignore removes the chat of others, but not the behavior. Further, it puts the onus for dealing with harassment on the victim, when it should be on the company that's making money providing the venue.

And, by the way, if I and five other people with a budget of zero dollars and zero pennies can keep chatroom free of the really bad stuff, Cryptic with its actual money and actual budgets shouldn't need people to report blatent discriminatory behavior.

See, this is The Big Lie.

The Lie that subspace party amplifiers/memorial spheres/disco balls/party horns are bad, even a little bit.

They aren't. They are no less a normal basic part of the game than phasers, personal shields, uniforms, fleet ship modules etc etc.

Lighting a memorial sphere isnt worse than choosing to use beams instead of cannons on your ship. Sure, some crazy person out there might hate beams, hate them so much, but that's nothing to do with anyone except him. Subspace party amplifiers and other devices are exactly identical.

You are lumping together the tools with the intent. A disco ball or party horn or smokescreen isn't bad per se, but when someone uses one of these items in a way specifically intended to bother other players, it's no longer "I'm just using an item, I dunno" and becomes poor behavior. This is similar to a car, or a gun, or email service - there's nothing wrong with them per se, but if you use them in a way that intentionally bothers other people, you are a problem.

I've spent the last week supervising children. Let's imagine that two kids got into an argument (happens from time to time) and one of them retaliated by driving his toy car over the other's drawing and shaking the car around to rip the paper, I would tell him to stop messing with the other kid's drawing. If he attempted to justify it with "I'm just playing with my car," you can bet he would be on time out. In fact, this very afternoon I had to take away a toy that two kids couldn't share without screaming "IT'S MINE!" - they couldn't play nicely, so no one got to use that toy for the rest of the day.

Either the sort of people who go out of their way to intentionally make other players miserable with whatever means are available to them need a very long time out, or these toys have to be taken away.
    ssbn655 wrote: »
    And they called ME a sociopath.
    post-44378-wreck-it-ralph-bad-guy-speech-EbGH.gif​​
  • sp00kymulder#3221 sp00kymulder Member Posts: 79 Arc User
    some people use certain devices to intentionally troll other players.

other people use those same devices with no malicious intent what so ever.

by no means should it be implied that everyone who uses "insert device here" is trying to troll people.

but by no means should we pretend that the trolls dont exist either.

calling everyone a troll who uses the devices, or pretending the device trolls dont exist are both equally wrong headed extremes.
    And you're not even just doing the equivalent of walking around and swinging your arms for the mere pleasure of swinging your arms; you're deliberately punching someone in the face. Some people do this in groups, which takes it from random rudeness to coordinated assault."

Being annoyed by flashing lights is in no way, figuratively or literally, comparable to being "deliberately punched in the face." People also get annoyed when someone stands on Quark's bar, because bar tables are not for standing. Believe it or not, there's absolutely no connection between standing on a fake bar table in a video game and real-life arson. Crazy, I know, but true.

Again, the issue isn't that people are arbitrarily choosing to get annoyed by the perfectly innocent actions that someone in no way intended to cause irritation. The issue is that people are using these items specifically to annoy people. The intent is malicious, and it's effective.

Which, frankly, sucks. It takes what should be a useful tool for communicating with the community, helping newer players, and learning from folks better than the game than me and cuts me off from it because I have, far too many times, arrived at ESD or DS9 or wherever and found a group of people in the middle of a homophobic or transphobic rant, and it's become clear that Cryptic and the mods will do little to nothing about it.

All kinds of fun are not created equal. When you get your fun by running around deliberately spoiling the experiences of others, be it by setting off disco balls while people are in mid-RP or opening up conversations in zone chat that openly question the humanity and identities of others (note: I am not equating these two things either; the homophobia thing is orders of magnitude worse than the disco balls), you are doing something wrong, and that should be discouraged.

/ignore removes the chat of others, but not the behavior. Further, it puts the onus for dealing with harassment on the victim, when it should be on the company that's making money providing the venue.

And, by the way, if I and five other people with a budget of zero dollars and zero pennies can keep chatroom free of the really bad stuff, Cryptic with its actual money and actual budgets shouldn't need people to report blatent discriminatory behavior.

The Lie that subspace party amplifiers/memorial spheres/disco balls/party horns are bad, even a little bit.

They aren't. They are no less a normal basic part of the game than phasers, personal shields, uniforms, fleet ship modules etc etc.

Lighting a memorial sphere isnt worse than choosing to use beams instead of cannons on your ship. Sure, some crazy person out there might hate beams, hate them so much, but that's nothing to do with anyone except him. Subspace party amplifiers and other devices are exactly identical.

You are lumping together the tools with the intent. A disco ball or party horn or smokescreen isn't bad per se, but when someone uses one of these items in a way specifically intended to bother other players, it's no longer "I'm just using an item, I dunno" and becomes poor behavior. This is similar to a car, or a gun, or email service - there's nothing wrong with them per se, but if you use them in a way that intentionally bothers other people, you are a problem.

I've spent the last week supervising children. Let's imagine that two kids got into an argument (happens from time to time) and one of them retaliated by driving his toy car over the other's drawing and shaking the car around to rip the paper, I would tell him to stop messing with the other kid's drawing. If he attempted to justify it with "I'm just playing with my car," you can bet he would be on time out. In fact, this very afternoon I had to take away a toy that two kids couldn't share without screaming "IT'S MINE!" - they couldn't play nicely, so no one got to use that toy for the rest of the day.

Either the sort of people who go out of their way to intentionally make other players miserable with whatever means are available to them need a very long time out, or these toys have to be taken away.

Its no different from wearing a blue uniform, knowing that someone out there just hates blue uniforms.

To put it another way, the irrational hatred of some other person doesnt give you a reason to change your behavior to accomodate them.

Blue uniform haters need to learn to deal with it, to accept the fact that they cannot and should not control everyone around them and be able to dictate what other people can and can't do.

Disco ball/ party horn haters need to do the exact same thing.

No one was lied to about STO. It's a MMO, its going to have other people in it. If you can't deal with the mere existence of other people who have different preferences than you do, you need to take a long hard look at whether any multiplayer game is really something you're going to enjoy at all.

you are half right, and half wrong.

someone wearing a blue uniform is a visual effect only.

the color of someone's uniform cannot "do" anything to your character or disrupt your movement in any way.

there are certain devices which can disrupt other characters movements without their permission.

so you are half right that if someone doesnt like how something looks, they should just get over it.

but you are wrong in comparing something that has no actual effect on another player with someone that can disrupt their characters movements without their permission.

and before you say it, i am aware there are devices you can get that can prevent that from happening to you.

but that only further proves the difference between a mere visual and something you have to take some kind of preventitive measures just to keep your character from being affected without your control.

also, see my last post. there are definitely people that use these devices with no ill intent.

at the same time there are also definitely people who use these devices to intentionally troll other players.

pretending either of those groups doesnt exist is equally foolish.
  • dbeiswengerdbeiswenger Member Posts: 141 Arc User
    trennan wrote: »
    I'm sure by know, most if not all know what I'm talking about by this. Especially if you spent any time on DS9 or Drozana Station. I am also sure Crytpic has just been ignoring the multitude of reports against this, while trying to come up with a solution that doesn't include banning players. So I have come up with the solution. No one need get banned and the problem gets solved.

And the solution is very simple.

Just make any PvE non-combat zone, like Risa, and disable all Captain and Trait abilities. The problem gets solved, no one gets banned, and everyone but those using those ability for this are happy. The abilities can be used inside the missions for those planets and starbases that have them. Like Qo'nos, DS9, ESD, and Drozana. Just in the non-mission version the abilities are locked out, just like Risa.

And there you have it.
    A
    Simple
    Easy
    Solution

tumblr_lyl9wnjInp1qj16rvo1_500.gif
  • nickodaemusnickodaemus Member Posts: 711 Arc User
    Turn off general chat, then:

1. Report
    2. Ignore
    3. Change instance
    4. Resume grinding

Problems reduced 99%.
    stop harrassing me in game blink. all im am trying to do is enjoy my time on risa.

btw how do you join the goon squad?
  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    Truthfully, I rarely get harassed ingame. Or I just don't notice if it happens. *Shrug* I'm barely aware of the people who jump around like their feet are on fire or something. Let them enjoy it. I enjoy simply hanging around sometimes and just people-watch.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
    Thanks Druk.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • chozoelder2ndchozoelder2nd Member Posts: 440 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    echatty wrote: »
    I'm barely aware of the people who jump around like their feet are on fire or something. Let them enjoy it.

I'm one of those people that jumps nearly everywhere I go. The thought of having it be annoying to someone didn't even cross my mind.
    SP9Pu.gif
    echatty wrote: »
    I'm barely aware of the people who jump around like their feet are on fire or something. Let them enjoy it.

I'm one of those people that jumps everywhere I go. The thought of having it be annoying to someone didn't even cross my mind.

If you enjoy jumping to your destinations, there's nothing wrong with it. I've been known to jump around once in awhile. It's a game. Not real life. Everything is pixielated. If some people want to ogle a bunch of pixels, that isn't hurting anyone. If someone decides to beam into a place wearing those Elachi bomb-thingies and kill some NPCs and throw others to the ground, get up, dust yourself off and go somewhere else to do business.

There isn't anything that's happened in the social zones that's worth all the drama I'm seeing here. I admit that the subspace party ball bombing of Spock's statue during his memorial did annoy me, but that was just me. The devs did what they thought was right in putting a 'fence' around it to keep the party balls at a distance. So yeah, they do listen sometimes and take action.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
  • farranorfarranor Member Posts: 559 Arc User

Its no different from wearing a blue uniform, knowing that someone out there just hates blue uniforms.

To put it another way, the irrational hatred of some other person doesnt give you a reason to change your behavior to accomodate them.

Blue uniform haters need to learn to deal with it, to accept the fact that they cannot and should not control everyone around them and be able to dictate what other people can and can't do.

Disco ball/ party horn haters need to do the exact same thing.

No one was lied to about STO. It's a MMO, its going to have other people in it. If you can't deal with the mere existence of other people who have different preferences than you do, you need to take a long hard look at whether any multiplayer game is really something you're going to enjoy at all.

There is a difference between doing something that you know someone else hates, and only doing it to spite them. The use of smokescreen et al. is equivalent to getting a bunch of people with blue uniforms, making a "Blue Uniform Day," and following that blue-uniform-hater around, making sure that all they can see on their screen is blue uniforms.

You need to think about the difference between accident and malice. The latter is not okay.

I don't think I've ever personally been harassed in-game (other than the occasional rude tell I need to ignore, but I'm sure that's common, and it's easily resolved), but if the harassment is done in a coordinated fashion on a large scale, in a way that can't be hidden by any setting, that's a serious problem, even if it affects people who aren't me. That sort of behavior is unjustifiable and indefensible.
  • nickodaemusnickodaemus Member Posts: 711 Arc User
    Bounce away, Pepe Lepew.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNl9ksUI-bU

Everytime I see some goofy bouncing dufus, it actually makes me laugh because I think "WHAT a freakin' idiot." The first time the thought struck me, the stupid accent hit me as well, and I couldn't stop laughing.
This discussion has been closed.