test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

story writing discussion

So, this thread is for sharing examples of story concepts that are interesting.

Devastation... well, she was literally created (by the Titans) to be a supervillain(more specifically to kill WW). Why is this so important? Well.... Wonder Woman dealt her a morale shattering defeat that literally changed who she was. Deva felt that she had to live the life the Titans chose for her because it's what she was. So WW used time travel to add some of her own blood to the mystical concoction used to create Deva. The idea was to give Deva the ability to choose her own destiny and not simply live the life the Titans chose for her(IE being a living weapon). Deva was utterly horrified when WW revealed this, and spent several years sulking instead of trying to kill WW.

how is this relevant for Foundry writing? Well moral victories need to be very carefully thought through. The writers there had carefully outlined what Deva's motives were. Changing what someone is made out of doesn't make for a compelling story unless you first establish what makes the change so drastic and important. In this case, Deva tried to kill WW repeatedly and WW responded by helping Deva. But also there's how her worst enemy is now her mother.... Thus the person she was born hating is now part of her.

So any examples you guys would like to share? :)
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
My character Tsin'xing
Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg

Comments

• theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,985 Arc User
    I've just got into writing mirror universe short stories, I tend to go grim dark in my story style.
    The main character Admiral Valdez is both ruthless and tactically brilliant in how he wins his battles
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
    • thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,100 Arc User
      I've just got into writing mirror universe short stories, I tend to go grim dark in my story style.
      The main character Admiral Valdez is both ruthless and tactically brilliant in how he wins his battles

I get the feeling this guy/gal is inspired by Grand Admiral Thrawn?

2gdi5w4mrudm.png
      Typhoon Class please!
    • theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,985 Arc User
      edited August 2016
      thay8472 wrote: »

I get the feeling this guy/gal is inspired by Grand Admiral Thrawn?

He's more or less based on great historical commanders, his tactical and strategic doctrine is that of ancient Chinese commander Sun Tzu and his ruthless side is based on the Hammer of the Scots, King Edward I of England.

He's not a schemer and has zero interest in politics and would rather let the rest of the admirals fight it out amongst themselves, he's nothing more than a loyal soldier with no interest in power

He's a military commander pure and simple, Leeta is on his kill list because she's nothing more than another traitor to deal with
      Post edited by theraven2378 on
      NMXb2ph.png
        "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
        -Lord Commander Solar Macharius