test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

I wonder if hanger pets will ever get fixed, curious about your thoughts.

honestly, i cannot remember the last time hanger pets worked right at all, except for when they launched the revamped system, i remember back then that hanger pets would recall and dock correctly, they would engage torpedoes and small craft if i set them to Intercept, and they would generally do as i told them.
for the longest time now, they just ignore my orders, i launch them, they fly off to attack my target, i tell them to recall and dock, they ignore me and continue to attack, i tell them to only intercept, defend, attack, they don't seem to care, they completely ignore my orders, this is not dependant on the ship either, they do it with all my ships.
can i get some thoughts on this? i miss playing my Carrier...
Maintaining peace through overwhelming firepower.

Comments

• lordgyorlordgyor Member Posts: 2,820 Arc User
    Maybe with the next carrier they release.
  • burstorionburstorion Member Posts: 1,750 Arc User
    lordgyor wrote: »
    Maybe with the next -fed- carrier they release.

Fixed that for ya​​
  • plaztikman64plaztikman64 Member Posts: 725 Arc User
    Yeah this is in fact pretty annoying, my romulan drones don't follow at full impulse and refuse to dock as well. What's the point in leveling them up when they vanish all the time anyway, as soon as they're out of range?
  • imadude3imadude3 Member Posts: 825 Arc User
    Yeah this is in fact pretty annoying, my romulan drones don't follow at full impulse and refuse to dock as well. What's the point in leveling them up when they vanish all the time anyway, as soon as they're out of range?

im guessing you are using a Scimitar, but if you are using the T'laru, i feel truly sorry for you, i used to envy anyone who got that ship, but now that i got a reminder of the broken mechanics (i got the Tarantula a few days ago, she has frigates) i suddenly do not want the ship anymore.
  • saber1973asaber1973a Member Posts: 1,224 Arc User
    I don't think the T'Laru can use Drone Ship Hangars... i thought they were reserved only for Scimitar variants (also T6 Scimitars)
    and yes, the current state of Hangar Pets (also separated saucers, chevrons and other such - but they don't even try to look like you can order them) makes them more annoying than usefull.
    Still, once they attack enemy, they draw some fire, so you don't get hit with focused fire from all anemies on map...
  • imadude3imadude3 Member Posts: 825 Arc User
    saber1973a wrote: »
    I don't think the T'Laru can use Drone Ship Hangars... i thought they were reserved only for Scimitar variants (also T6 Scimitars)
    and yes, the current state of Hangar Pets (also separated saucers, chevrons and other such - but they don't even try to look like you can order them) makes them more annoying than usefull.
    Still, once they attack enemy, they draw some fire, so you don't get hit with focused fire from all anemies on map...

nah, i saw a T'laru spit out drones yesterday.
  • asuran14asuran14 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    Yeah it is terrible, most of all with how many carriers have been put out recently compared to the before hand. To me it would make sense if they worked on a hanger-pet/carrier update that would fix, as well as implement some fo the really good suggestions that have been put forth by those that use the system, since than there might be more interest an profit in releasing these types of ships.
  • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    Hangar Bays are overrated with weapons you can't control.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • saber1973asaber1973a Member Posts: 1,224 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    Yes, but this game is (i think) American, and USA military for long has public stance, how fighter carriers are best warships on any waters and how fighters are best (and most economical) weapons against other ships,
    hey, i don't even know if USA got any battleships still active?
  • plaztikman64plaztikman64 Member Posts: 725 Arc User
    @imadude3 aye, using 4 elite drones on a T'laru :), and they hand out a lot of damage @warmaker001b
  • redeyedravenredeyedraven Member Posts: 1,297 Arc User
    ruinthefun wrote: »
    The AI simply cannot keep up with agile targets like Borg Generators, Transformers, and Gateways, which all manage to regularly outmaneuver your pets and get out from under their guns. Trying to keep up with something as fast as a Cube is simply a hopeless task for them.

Umm... introducing the Starbase-type Hangar-pets then?
  • nateham101#2745 nateham101 Member Posts: 420 Arc User
    I have many different carriers, including the Jupiter, the Scimitar, Tholian Recluse, Tholian Tarantula and a few others. The pets on all of those hangar bay equipped ships do not function properly at all. I have just stopped casting the pets when in combat. They have the visual appearance of using full impulse, but I quickly leave them in the dust and they despawn. They also ignore all of my hangar commands as well. Personally, I think they broke them awhile back and have no clue how to fix it. :-(
    1Wlp6QH.gif
  • redeyedravenredeyedraven Member Posts: 1,297 Arc User
    I have many different carriers, including the Jupiter, the Scimitar, Tholian Recluse, Tholian Tarantula and a few others. The pets on all of those hangar bay equipped ships do not function properly at all. I have just stopped casting the pets when in combat. They have the visual appearance of using full impulse, but I quickly leave them in the dust and they despawn. They also ignore all of my hangar commands as well. Personally, I think they broke them awhile back and have no clue how to fix it. :-(

For me, they do basically follow orders - they are getting very random when it comes to the return-oder though. Usually one or two fighters manage to dock, the others decide to not land for some reason.
    And they're usually not smart enough to avoid explosions.
  • eltecheltech Member Posts: 146 Arc User
    The frigate pets seem to be totally fubar'd, but the Epoch fighters seem to behave themselves most of the time, even docking in a reasonable timeframe.​​
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    I couldn't care less about ordering them, but it's real shame they've still not managed to make them do full impulse properly.
  • talientalien Member Posts: 712 Arc User
    They worked great for one update, then went back to being questionable use. Heck, cryptic even fixed them flying into warp core breaches and dying but that promptly got broken again with the next update too.

I'm enjoying the Sarr Theln on my temporal recruit character, but it's a pain in the TRIBBLE having to stop and fiddle around to get my pets to dock before moving to the next objective in a STF, or saving time and leaving some rank 4 or 5 frigates behind.
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,501 Arc User
    talien wrote: »
    They worked great for one update, then went back to being questionable use. Heck, cryptic even fixed them flying into warp core breaches and dying but that promptly got broken again with the next update too.

I'm enjoying the Sarr Theln on my temporal recruit character, but it's a pain in the **** having to stop and fiddle around to get my pets to dock before moving to the next objective in a STF, or saving time and leaving some rank 4 or 5 frigates behind.

Exactly. There was a thread here and a couple of patch notes covering full impulse where they made some changes, but I also just switched to the Sarr Theln today after finishing the Breen arc and getting the Breen space set (except warp core, can't get that until I unlock the Winter store for my TOS captain :( ).

Once again, I see the frigate "full impulse" is slightly less than half throttle, sigh. Recall does seem to work, but I haven't tried intercept.

Carriers are fun for me, but these bugs take away some of that fun :(
  • asuran14asuran14 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User

An honestly this is so true of an issue that is prevalent with this type of play. We have very much a extremely simple Ui to control our hanger/separation pets, which is terrible when you take into account how much you sacrifice for these Ai controlled weapon platforms. If you add in that the fact you can't boost the output/performance of the pets via console like you could with other weapons or abilities it is compounded. To me the carrier/hanger/separation pet using ships are proto-pet class like, and with a little work would be amazing to use as a new playstyle for those that enjoy such playstyles.

I wish we could gain a choice in either taking a more directly micro-management style thru a updated Ui that might be abit more like the ground boff Ui in someways, which might give us access to turning the hanger/separation pet's weapons an abilities onto auto or manual fire (as well as the movement combats too), but also with the choice of leaving such things up to the Ai for those that do not wish to micro-manage the pets.

Also in the case of the lack of console support for improving your pets it would be nice to see some consoles that are geared more towards improving these, which could be adapted from the several generic buffing consoles we have that are quite less used. These could be smaller versions of the normal engineering/tactical/science consoles that split the buff between the main ship an the hanger/separation pets, allowing you to make your pets more impressive by sacrificing some of your main ship's own power an defense to improve them.

I do agree it would be nice to see some of the lingering issues an buffs be addressed by the devs, while seeing if they actually like the idea of improving an expanding on the idea of the hanger/separation pet using ships into a new playstyle.
  • tenkaritenkari Member Posts: 2,906 Arc User
    the only problem i have with my carrier pets is they dont activate full impulse. they dock when i command them to. i run a mirror vo'quv with advanced BOP's, a Jem dread with advanced jem fighters, and jupiters with advanced callistos. havent tried my narcine in a while. Even my HEC's perigines work for me.
  • timonicustimonicus Member Posts: 89 Arc User
    Most of my pets don't go to full impulse, tbh i never use any commands, i just let them attack whatever im shooting at which is usually borg cube or something. Obviously. I fly a narcine and a jem dread, both with frigates, for me the hanger bays are extra dps, still have 7 weapons firing, the frigates add extra to that, they alsp draw fire although my jem dread isnt too squishy. Cannon pets are annoying as they dont seem to use the cannons so miss out there.
  • anarisaanarisa Member Posts: 54 Arc User
    My stupid epoch fighters never listen to anything I command them to do and they run into warp core breaches like moths to a flame. Also let's not forget that coordinated protocols haven't worked on the majority of hangar pets since ever. I've seen them work on romulan drone ships and on other things I launch out like command ships and when you call the pirates for help they use coordinated protocols but none of the hangar pets ever do.
    NF5ObqL.jpg
  • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    asuran14 wrote: »

An honestly this is so true of an issue that is prevalent with this type of play. We have very much a extremely simple Ui to control our hanger/separation pets, which is terrible when you take into account how much you sacrifice for these Ai controlled weapon platforms. If you add in that the fact you can't boost the output/performance of the pets via console like you could with other weapons or abilities it is compounded. To me the carrier/hanger/separation pet using ships are proto-pet class like, and with a little work would be amazing to use as a new playstyle for those that enjoy such playstyles.

I wish we could gain a choice in either taking a more directly micro-management style thru a updated Ui that might be abit more like the ground boff Ui in someways, which might give us access to turning the hanger/separation pet's weapons an abilities onto auto or manual fire (as well as the movement combats too), but also with the choice of leaving such things up to the Ai for those that do not wish to micro-manage the pets.

Also in the case of the lack of console support for improving your pets it would be nice to see some consoles that are geared more towards improving these, which could be adapted from the several generic buffing consoles we have that are quite less used. These could be smaller versions of the normal engineering/tactical/science consoles that split the buff between the main ship an the hanger/separation pets, allowing you to make your pets more impressive by sacrificing some of your main ship's own power an defense to improve them.

I do agree it would be nice to see some of the lingering issues an buffs be addressed by the devs, while seeing if they actually like the idea of improving an expanding on the idea of the hanger/separation pet using ships into a new playstyle.

On top of that:

It's frustrating because I used to be a real hardcore user of 2-hangar bay ships for both PVE and PVE. But after years of hangar unit nerfs (I still remember the Orion Enslaver Contraband Nerf) and Broken hangar unit AI, I've had enough of it. Frigates in particular are the worst, especially the ones with a penchant for narrow arc weapons. Stuff like the BOPs can never get their DHCs and torpedoes lined up right once past the initial attack run. Only their turrets are firing. This limits the options of actually viable hangar units to only the ones that are fast maneuvering or rely on wide arc weapons.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • tousseautousseau Member Posts: 1,484 Arc User
    As far as pets flying into warp core breaches... i have noticed that Tractor Beam Repulsors will target breaches.
    Could it be an issue with the breach itself, being flagged as a legal target as far as the ai is concerned?
  • lordgyorlordgyor Member Posts: 2,820 Arc User
    For now they need to widen the pets cannon arcs like they widened the arc of Channeled Deconstruction 1 from a 180 to 360 on the epoch fighters.

And give every pet scratch the paint which would deal with warpcore breaches.

One tip I find that if I send my pets to attack another target as soon as the current target dies, they'll usually get away from the core breach in time.
  • breadandcircusesbreadandcircuses Member Posts: 2,355 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    Remember right after Delta Rising, when hangar pets got the same hitpoint and damage boost as NPC's? That was a special time for carriers...

...and now they amount to non-Upgradable weapons that may or may not be within range of the enemy. It can be a fun mechanic when they behave themselves, but they don't often seem to do so for very long after launch. I also kind of miss the old mechanics, too, where you could re-launch fresh hangar pets to replace current ones; that allowed you to clear out damaged pets, deploy the replacements within range of the enemy, and didn't require building "stars" to make the pets effective (this was pre-DR, so they performed more reasonably against the NPC's of the time). The current "stars" system just tends to make the AI issues more noticable, since pets are persistent... meaning they are persistently non-responsive. :tongue:

These days, hangar pets are more of a bit of added flavor to a ship than a defining characteristic. There are a few exceptions, where a given frigate is especially well-designed, but by and large they just don't behave themselves well enough for carriers to rely on. For Sci Carriers in particular, I'd instead favor the Eternal for the Sensor Analysis and Secondary Deflector; those can boost your Sci capabilities nicely, and fighter/runabout sized hangar pets tend to do a better job of keeping up than frigates anyway.
    Ym9x9Ji.png
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    I do not like Geko ether.
    iconians wrote: »
    With each passing day I wonder if I stepped into an alternate reality. The Cubs win the world series. Donald Trump is President. Britain leaves the EU. STO gets a dedicated PvP season. Engineers are "out of control" in STO.​​
  • themetalstickmanthemetalstickman Member Posts: 1,010 Arc User
    My Elite Kelvin Timeline Assault Drones are behaving themselves for the most part. But yeah, my frigate and runabout pets are totally borked.
    Og12TbC.jpg

Your father was captain of a starship for twelve minutes. He saved 800 lives, including your mother's, and yours.

I dare you to do better.
  • talientalien Member Posts: 712 Arc User
    anarisa wrote: »
    My stupid epoch fighters never listen to anything I command them to do and they run into warp core breaches like moths to a flame. Also let's not forget that coordinated protocols haven't worked on the majority of hangar pets since ever. I've seen them work on romulan drone ships and on other things I launch out like command ships and when you call the pirates for help they use coordinated protocols but none of the hangar pets ever do.

I had completely forgotten about coordination protocols not working for hangar pets. They work on other players and mission generated or item spawned AI allies, but do nothing for your own pets. Wasn't the main point of coordination protocols to be a buff for hangar pets?

I remember back when they'd keep up at full impulse, how do so many things manage to get broken constantly, then broken again and again right after they get fixed?
  • timonicustimonicus Member Posts: 89 Arc User
    Kind of related question but if my pets already have beam overload and cannon rapid fire, do i need to get the coordinated assault trait from the alita?