test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Build advice - re. stripping shields

ravenmorpheus2kravenmorpheus2k Member Posts: 103 Arc User
Hey all

As a returning player, having last played in November of 2014 according to some stuff I've seen in-game, I am not entirely satisfied with my Sovereign class build.

I've been fighting the Breen, and their big warships and I'm finding that my Sovereign build doesn't strip shields as quickly as I'd like.

At the moment it's armed with Mk XII blue polaron beam arrays with CRTDx2 modifiers. It's got 5 of them. Then I've got fore Quantum torpedo launchers and a rear proton torpedo launcher, all again MK XII.

My tactical consoles are green MKXII Polaron Phase modulators x3.

I'm not sure why I built it last time with polaron beams, probably as an attempt to build something to fight the Borg with, but what can I do (with as little EC/Dil as possible and preferably no Zen) to make this ship more of a shield stripper so that I can get those torpedoes in there?

TIA

Comments

• Options
    echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    In my experience, tetryon weapons strip shields better than polaron. Also, if you can upgrade to Mk XIV Very Rare instead of Rare and Uncommon, everything will do better. Ultra Rare and Epic are even better.

If your crafting is any good, craft some new stuff at Mk II VR, then upgrade.

If it isn't, tell me what you want and I'll craft the Mk II stuff. Jacob@echatty is my ingame crafter.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • Options
    iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    If you're in a Sovereign, you probably have the Engineering bridge officer abilities to spare, so I'd heavily consider getting one of the Endothermic Inhibitor Beam manuals from the Winter Event store (if you have the store unlocked). It requires 15 of each winter event currency, which honestly is not that expensive (relatively speaking), and they can be found on the Exchange.

At Rank III (Lieutenant Commander), it increases damage done to a target's shields by 30%, which, when combined with other effects (like Tetryon procs), destroys shields fairly handily, even at high level.​​
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    dareaudareau Member Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    echatty wrote: »
    In my experience, tetryon weapons strip shields better than polaron.

Agree with this statement. Polaron weapons are designed to generate a minor reduction in subsystem power across the board, while Tetryon weapons are designed to remove chunks of shields from all 4 facings per proc of their effect.

As such, Tetryons are the better shield strippers, but without the rest of the skills to back them up (like Tetryon beam in a Science slot, or the aforementioned endothermic beam), the overall effect will be relatively minor in the overall scheme of combat (to wit, I find that I need a full-on "drain" build to make my polarons become "effective" instead of just a mild nuisance, and the only time I really notice a tetryon drain effect is if there's a squadron of tetryon users in the STF, or I'm running an anti-shield build with anti-shield skills as well as anti-shield weapons.
    Detecting big-time "anti-old-school" bias here. NX? Lobi. TOS/TMP Connie? Super-promotion-box. (aka the two hardest ways to get ships) Excelsior & all 3 TNG "big hero" ships? C-Store. Please Equalize...

To rob a line: [quote: Mariemaia Kushrenada] Forum Posting is much like an endless waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever. However, opinions will change upon the reading of my post.[/quote]
  • Options
    nephitisnephitis Member Posts: 456 Arc User
    In addition to what has been said, I think you would be better off just using one single torpedo in the fore than three. Regular Quantum is fine but you can also get the Quantum Phase torpedo from a mission. Another option is buying an MK XII Kelvin Timeline Photon torpedo from the exchange or even the Particle Emission torpedo. Both of these are account-unlocks so you can use them on any character. It's a good investment.

That being said, go with 7 beam arrays of your choice and 1 torpedo launcher. Also, to maximize damage you can go with a full set of phasers and add the Quantum Phase set (beam array, torpedo and console) to the build. The extra console is not bound to a tactical slot so you would basically have 4 damage boosting consoles.

But... since you already have polaron weapons you can also get the Chronometric set from a mission which provides a beam array, an omni-beam array and a tactical bound console that boosts torpedo damage as well polaron damage. Using this set instead of the Quantum Phase set frees up that torpedo, allowing you to use any torpedo that you want like the Kelvin Timeline Photon torpedo or the Particle Emission torpedo... or any other torpedo of your choice.

• Options
    Ok thanks guys. I have no idea why I went for polaron beams, I think it was after reading threads here and taking advice on a decent anti-borg build.

I'll see if I can get some tetryon stuff instead.
  • Options
    antonine3258antonine3258 Member Posts: 2,391 Arc User
    Well, polaron has some advantages to energy drain - and if you drop power enough, their shields shut off. It's the same drain consoles though, but it's more of an indirect shield strip.
    Fate - protects fools, small children, and ships named Enterprise Will Riker

Member Access Denied Armada!

My forum single-issue of rage: Make the Proton Experimental Weapon go for subsystem targetting!
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Just a thought but are phasers at level 56 (which my federation Kirk is) any good, I don't see them mentioned a lot?
  • Options
    jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    Welcome back...

A lot has changed since November 2014, though I am pretty sure you know that the level cap has been increased from level 50 to level 60. That means ships get tougher (stronger hull, stronger shield and weapons packs a punch) as you approach level 60. I generally do not notice any difference until I reach level 56.

Polaron weapons drain subsystem power, not shields directly. Additionally, based on what other players have experienced, enemy ships become more resistant to drain abilities as you approach level 60. For example, one player stated that he did not notice much of a difference against enemies when his science ship was using polaron weapons and 5 ultra rare Flow Capacitor consoles which augments drain. My science captains use polaron weapons, but mostly for the visual effects rather than the drain ability which I do not bother to augment with consoles.

As stated by others, tetyron weapons are used to explicitly drain shields. While the tetryon pulse generator consoles will increase the energy damage, you need to install flow capacitors into the science slot to improve your drain ability which would drain more shields.

Have you taken a look at your captain skill tree? It was overhauled a few months ago.
  • Options
    odinforever20000odinforever20000 Member Posts: 1,849 Arc User
    Soo...You will need to reach LVL 60..And Get teh Quantum phase mission set (Sunrise I think). The Quantum Phase Torpedo coupled with any torpedo spread and Drain consoles can strip the shields off most ships,it also heals your shields.The 3 piece can be nice as the Quantum beam is a subsystem drain/buff and you still have the phaser proc (so..you could go all phaser,alots of those in missions).

When you get a bit more invested the research consoles offer 2 mods (primary and secondary science points) for less than the Embassy consoles. Embassy ones have the Plasma explosion but cost a bit to aquire...

Heavy Polaron User here. I make use of the Drain Mechanic in PVP and PVE (-70 to 80 all subsystems proc is nothing to scoff at)
    Tho Ive gone to Polarised Disrputors for the debuff and Drain..

The_Science_Channel_Signature_Gen_2_-_Jacobs_xSmall.png

Rouge Sto Wiki Editor.

• Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    You're using energy weapons and wish to strip shields faster?

Polaron, Tetryon, Phaser, Anti-Proton, Plasma, Disruptor. It doesn't really matter. Pick one, stick to it.
    4 Quantum Torpedoes might simply be superfluous. Consider adding more beams instead. If you wish to stick to them, consider (re)running the mission "Sunrise" in the "Future Proof" arc and get the Quantum Phase Torpedo, ideally the entire set. The Torpedo has a shield drain effect on top of the usual quantum torpedo stats.

Have you maxed out your weapon power yet? Remember, the maximum value is not 100, it's 125, and on top of that there is overcapping (e.g. numerically boosts to your weapon power level would bring you over 125, but those points only help you staying at a high power level when you suffer energy drain - which you will if you have more than one energy weapon)
    Emergency Power to Weapons, various skill nodes in the skill tree, and plasma distribution manifolds and a variety of special consoles can boost your weapon power.

Are you using the Weapon System Efficiency Cruiser Command? You want that to lower the drain your weapons cause, thus maintaining a higher level of weapon power.

Then, add some damage buffs. BFAW is the gold standard, but there are others that also help, directly or indirectly. (Endothermic Inhibitor Beam was mentioned, Attack Pattern Omega buffs damage directly, Attack Pattern Beta only against the hull, test which works best

Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    The Nukara Space Set, along with the Nukara Weapon Set, was purpose made for shield stripping. Back this up with the AntiChroniton Weapon Set and you're good to go. You'll need a torp of some type. Not much point in ripping shields off if you cannot then lay into bare hull. I use either the Neutronic for AoE or the Quantum Phase because I just like how it looks ingame. The new Kelvin Timeline Torpedoes have a very fast reload time so I may try them out as well.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Unfortunately I don't seem to be able to start the Future Proof arc, not even Sunrise, all the buttons are greyed out, including the hail buttons.

Is it possible that I just haven't made it that far in the story missions? I last played before Future Proof was released. Or is it greyed out because I'm only level 56 and it requires you to be level 60?
  • Options
    odinforever20000odinforever20000 Member Posts: 1,849 Arc User
    Lvl 60 mission

The_Science_Channel_Signature_Gen_2_-_Jacobs_xSmall.png

Rouge Sto Wiki Editor.

• Options
    Thanks I double checked it after posting. Guess that'll have to wait for the moment.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Thanks for all the advice guys.

I just invested a million or so EC in 6 rare (blue) Mk XII Phaser Beam arrays with ctrdx2 and Phaser tactical consoles and...

...the big E E, sorry big Y E, is back!

I just did the Aiding Defari daily and I was making mincemeat of the Breen frigates and the Chel Grett's were a lot easier than they were with polaron beams...

All I need to do now is speed up my torpedo loading, increase their damage (be nice if I could do some damage with them but, especially for that final blow, but they don't seem to do a lot, the phasers do more of the work), speed up my ships turn rate and find a way of cancelling tractor beams (I always get caught in them!)...

I might replace my fore Quantum torpedo launcher with a dual phaser beam bank (preferably omni directional if possible) seeing as the torpedoes don't seem to do much, the other one I have is one of those transphasic ones' the Breen use at Mk XII with 40% shield penetration.

Wish they had broadside firing torpedo launchers - I spend most of my time broadside...
  • Options
    nephitisnephitis Member Posts: 456 Arc User
    All I need to do now is speed up my torpedo loading, increase their damage (be nice if I could do some damage with them but, especially for that final blow, but they don't seem to do a lot, the phasers do more of the work), speed up my ships turn rate and find a way of cancelling tractor beams (I always get caught in them!)...

The Quantum Phase torpedo is a great at shield stripping and it can also do considerable damage when the shields are down. However, while it is faster than most torpedos it cannot match the Kelvin Photon torpedo in terms of both travel speed and reload. If you are already good at keeping the enemy's shields down then the Kelvin torpedo may be a better option. Its faster travel speed allows it to reach its targets before the shields go back up... and if those shields do go back up you quickly get another chance thanks to the shorter cooldown.

If you still find it hard to do considerable damage with these two torpedos then the Particle Emission torpedo is your best option among these three torpedos. Yes, it is slower but it does considerable damage to the target whether its shields are up or not. The plasma clouds the torpedo leaves behind slows down faster targets for you as well, making it easier for you to plan your next move.

Going full beams is fine but you will find that you can still do considerably more damage with a torpedo and combination of Fire at Will + Torpedo Spread or Beam Overload + Torpedo Yield.

• Options
    timonicustimonicus Member Posts: 89 Arc User
    You can use the quantum phase set which is from a mission, it strips shields and gives them to you, tetryon is the other good thing to go for, you get a decent set from the nukara rep and the marks are easy to get from cca, sticky web console adds tetryon damage and is cheap on the exchange
  • Options
    jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    There's also the Piercing Tetryon weapons (dual cannons and dual beam banks only) from the "Installation 18" mission that is part of the Wasteland story arc on Nimbus III.

They are rare weapons (blue) and in addition to the 2.5% chance to drain shields, there also a 2.5% chance for 50% of attack to ignore shields. Meaning if the weapons does 400 points of damage, 200 points will bypass the shields and hit the hull. Of the remaining 200 points only 5% (for resilient shields) or 10% (all other shields) will hit the hull if shields are up.