test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[PODCAST] Tribbles in Ecstasy Take 227: One Step Beyond

midniteshadow7midniteshadow7 Member Posts: 787 Arc User
Tribbles in Ecstasy Take 227: One Step Beyond has warped on to Holosuite Media, you can download and stream it from:
Tribbles227.png

Before MidNiteShadow7 and Timberwolf discuss Star Trek Beyond after the show ends (2:27:58) they are joined by Dragon, Sunseahl and Katzu to go through this week’s news from Star Trek Online (0:02:00, 01:26:02 and 02:19:35), Star Trek Timelines (1:24:13), Conventions (1:40:37), Fan Productions (1:52:04) and whole lot more!!

Our community questions this week are:
1. Do you have any more thoughts on the Agents of Yesterday expansion?
2. Where would you like future seasons/expansions go in STO?
3. What did you think of Star Trek Beyond?
4. Are you going to Star Trek Las Vegas?

Please reply to this post with any feedback you have about any topic we've covered or even about the show in general, we'd love to hear what our listeners have to say. And feedback to us now and be entered in to a prize draw to get yourself a Star Trek Online Legacy of Romulus Starter Pack, Zen and Lockbox keys. Rules are here: http://holosuitemedia.com/tiefeedbackgiveaways2016/ - Just reply to this post to enter.

Please help friend of the show and fellow Star Trek Online player and podcaster Mav with donations to support his recovery with his current health situation here: http://www.gofundme.com/tomsrecovery.

LLAP

Comments

• chozoelder2ndchozoelder2nd Member Posts: 440 Arc User
    1.) I had the chance to play the new queues. I enjoyed them quite a lot. I had a similar experience that Midnite had when I first played The Battle of Procyon V. "Oh, that was... fast? Is this just a really good pug?" It's definitely a fun mission, and it's pretty cool how we get to see Enterprise-J. Definitely will be playing this queue often.

Days of Doom was a little confusing at first but I soon got the hang of it. It's a sort of mini reverse capture the flag, which I enjoy. Having actual teamwork during the part with the large warp core was definitely a refreshing moment. Variety is always a plus for me.

Miner Instabilities is another thumbs up. I didn't think we'd get a ground queue this season, but yay! I know it's not popular, but I still enjoy ground combat. I'm glad that it was TOS themed as well since I still wanted more TOS stuff after the initial 6 episodes for temp agents and Galordon Core. It quenched my thirst for more, albeit a little.

I also had the chance to play Terminal Expanse (the Kelvin Timeline episode). Don't worry, I won't spoil anything. It was a very nice reminder to see that they managed to get Joseph Gatt to reprise his role as 0718. I loved your performance Mr. Gatt ^^

One last note since this will probably be the last time we'll talk about AoY.

All I'll say is thank you, devs. Thank you so much for making this happen. Thank you for the Kelvin ships. Thank you Thomas for working so hard at making the Konnie look absolutely perfect. Even if no additional Kelvin Timeline stuff get put into the game and this is all we get, you still made this Trekkie oh so happy. I think I can recall being a newbie when the game went f2p, getting passed the tutorial, getting to ESD, and asking in Zone chat "So does this game have any JJ stuff?" Outside of a few replies talking about the RMC and the Hobus supernova, you can imagine the amount of vitriol that I got.

boo_this_man_half_baked.gif

Since then, I had fully embraced the "fact" that I would never get my wish granted... yet here we are. Hugs to all of you at Cryptic. Thank you.

Also, the lens flare that appears when petting the Kelvin tribble was the icing for me. I was smiling the whole time afterwards for so long that my cheeks started hurting.

2.) I would still love at least a third of an expansion to be dedicated to exploration... but that dream feels more or less dead. However, never say never. We finally got the Kelvin Timeline, so I'll still hold out hope for exploration. Other than that, there's not much I can think of besides the obvious one that Timber Wolf already pointed out, a Gamma Quadrant expansion. It's still up there in the Galaxy map, teasing us all. Then again, original content from Cryptic (as in completely original and not seen in any Trek media before) isn't something that everyone wants to warm up to. Players would probably still complain about it no matter how well or ill received it actually is. Either way, I still want it.

3.) I haven't seen it yet. Dragon, you don't have it nearly as bad as I do. I'm not going to be able to see it until September because that's when it releases where I am. Considering how obvious it is that I enjoyed the first two movies, I'm bummed out about it. I'm just going to have to be patient.

1823664.jpg

4.) Unfortunately, no. I can't afford to right now. Oh well.
    SP9Pu.gif
  • alex1geralex1ger Member Posts: 141 Arc User
    Less than 20,000 words? I'll try...

Feedback: Have you seen the (per character...) Wrath of Khan costumes (and their prices) in the dilithium store?
    @sunseahl Since you played EVE at some point in time, were you active when "monocle gate" happened? If I remember correctly, that was a somewhat comparable thing...
    And you were wrong. Those costumes are not the ARC-exclusive "Khan off-duty outfit". :p

Community questions:

1.) During the tutorial "Taurean affair", did anybody else want ensign Mears to join their bridge crew? For some reason she was way more endearing/interesting than ensign Tarsi.
    Unfortunately I'll have to mention a few more things that happen during the TOS-exclusive part...

I'll skip Edren...

The K13 mission: We're about to fight a Na'kuhl ship, but it got temporal shielding! Scotty has no clue what that is, but immediately comes up with a plan to disable it. And it works. Cryptic just used up all the suspension of disbelief I could muster up for the entire expansion...
    Btw. Temporal Ambassador made ships from the future look way more impressive...

I'll skip Babel...

During the tholian mission we fight more Na'kuhl but got less support compared to the K13 mission... And why does none of them have temporal shielding? Because it'll never be brought up again? Smooth, Cryptic.

And I'll skip Caleb... You have no idea how many notes I skipped and I still have so much to write...

When we get transported to the 25th century... Daniels tells us that we got a cover identity (Care to tell me something... anything about that, Daniels?) and that we should try to blend in.
    The first guy we meet on ESD tells us to put on a "proper" uniform because the admiral can be a stickler for rules. The tailor comments on our uniform. I did not change my uniform. I expected Admiral Quinn to get a line. Because "attention to detail" and "immersion". Quinn does not care at all. *shrug*

Now the rest of the story arc:

The first time we met Franklin Drake was originally during a cardassian arc mission that no longer exists. Why does this guy hail us and why do we listen to him?
    Btw. on two occasions during the klingon war a single Undine ship is shown to be such a serious threat to our junkyard ship, that we need a small fleet to defeat it. I guess the Na'kuhl really are the trash of the universe. -.-

This is getting out of hand, I'll skip a few more notes...

When you first meet commander Jarok during the romulan arc and when commander Achebe hails you for the 2800 arc, they mention how you fought the borg.
    The TOS feds haven't. If that was part of their cover identity, SOMEONE should have told them. I mean, I played the fed tutorial before, but a new player (you're trying to attract...) might not know what trip these people are on...

Some of the Delta Rising patrols still turn into a slideshow on my computer, but Cryptic knows about that (because people made threads about it after the launch of DR) and did absolutely nothing.

I still hate the Iconian "wanna-be" War and the Temporal War. The content team got so good at constructing an episode, but the writing just frustrates me. A lot of the issues I had with the Iconian skirmish could have been fixed with a little more attention to detail and a rewrite here and there. The temporal war on the other hand... kill it with fire!

2.) I already mentioned that I want... playable cardassians (species or half-faction like the romulans), the gamma quadrant, the rest of the delta quadrant, some exploration, some diplomacy, some character development, to tie up some loose ends...
    Apart from that, I want Cryptic to pay more attention to (story) details and to try and polish the game...

3.) Haven't watched it yet. Still not sure if I'll even watch it on the big screen.

4.) Nope. And just for giggles, I'm still not playing timelines. :p
  • sistericsisteric Member Posts: 768 Arc User
    The proper uniform comments. I find it funny that they are there, but it makes total sense why Quinn says nothing. There is a general order for Starfleet saying that each ship has the right to select the uniform their officers wear. Why would Quinn saying anything about an order he, mostly likely, signed into being?

But I do hate how Daniels just drops us in the 25th Century with out any briefing. Very poorly done. You would think that we would have a little briefing giving us the backstory of the federation and they can use a overview of the Fed tutorial as the "backstory" for your character. That would keep the writing the same for both sides for the rest of the story arcs.

Federation: Fleet Admiral Zombee (Alien Tactical)::Fleet Admiral Danic (Vulcan Science)::Fleet Admiral Daniel Kochheiser (Human Engineer)
    KDF: Dahar Master Kan (Borg Klingon Tactical)::Dahar Master Torc (Alien Science)::Dahar Master Sisteric (Gorn Engineer)
    RR-Fed: Citizen Sirroc (Romulan Science)::Fleet Admiral Grell (Alien Engineer)
    RR-KDF: Fleet Admiral Zemo (Reman Tactical)::Fleet Admiral Xinatek (Reman Science)::Fleet Admiral Bel (Alien Engineer)
    TOS-Fed: Fleet Admiral Katem (Andorian Tactical)::Lieutenant Commander Straad (Vulcan Engineer)
    Dom-Fed: Dan'Tar (Jem'Hadar Science)
    Dom-KDF: Kamtana'Solan (Jem'Hadar Science)

CoHost of Tribbles in Ecstasy (Zombee)
  • indysharkindyshark Member Posts: 1,543 Arc User
    1. Do you have any more thoughts on the Agents of Yesterday expansion? I really like it but wish it were longer. I hope they release more episodes
    2. Where would you like future seasons/expansions go in STO? The Cardassians and the Borg
    3. What did you think of Star Trek Beyond? I have not seen it yet.
    4. Are you going to Star Trek Las Vegas? No.

I really enjoy listening to your podcasts. I love it when you have a guest from STO. I have one suggestion. Sun complains too much. I prefer something more positive, not a TRIBBLE fest.
  • sunseahlsunseahl Member Posts: 827 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    alex1ger wrote: »
    Less than 20,000 words? I'll try...

Feedback: Have you seen the (per character...) Wrath of Khan costumes (and their prices) in the dilithium store?
    @sunseahl Since you played EVE at some point in time, were you active when "monocle gate" happened? If I remember correctly, that was a somewhat comparable thing...
    And you were wrong. Those costumes are not the ARC-exclusive "Khan off-duty outfit". :p

I noticed they weren't the Khan outfit...

As for EvE "Monocle Gate" was, essentially a subscription-based game's "Pay More to Win" scandal. CCP wanted to introduce premium currency cosmetics.... with stats.... Imagine if the Seven of Nine outfit came with +25 Particle Gens.... yea THAT was Monocle Gate. This is more a case of clothing locked behind a near premium currency instead of the premium currency....
    indyshark wrote: »
    I really enjoy listening to your podcasts. I love it when you have a guest from STO. I have one suggestion. Sun complains too much. I prefer something more positive, not a **** fest.

And we enjoy feedback for you! As for my complaining "too much" ... I honestly don't know what to say. You see, when you love a thing... like REALLY have a passion for it... you will fight tooth and nail to both defend and criticize the hell out of it because you KNOW it could be better than it is.

Member of the "Disenchanted"
    We don't want what the Feds have. We want the equivalent. We want fairer treatment. Concern, desire, greed to some extent, and passionate belief that the enough people would buy KDF items to make it worth Cryptic's while.
  • xylylxylyl Member Posts: 45 Arc User
    Response to community questions:

1. It was to me, overall, a refreshingly light romp. An intro for new players came to mind. As a hopelessly Romulan-focused player, I still found it to be a fun and enlightening experience nevertheless..
    2. There should be huge expanses of the gamma and delta quadrants to explore. The Iconian dyson sphere was a gateway to the Andromeda galaxy. This can all be accomplished WITHOUT time travel, by the way.
    3. Have yet to see it.
    4. Am not attending STLV.

Jolan'tru & cheers… RRF Captain Cybyl

Now for some tea and some down home Down Under Virinat Vegemite…
    Thus spake Admiral Cybyl:  Alea iacta est. Ibis redibis,numquam per bello peribis. Ergo, per aspera ad astra!
  • alfheimwandereralfheimwanderer Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    1. Do you have any more thoughts on the Agents of Yesterday expansion?

I liked what there was of it, but I would have liked to see a bit more unique TOS content, perhaps equivalent to that of the Romulan experience (enough to hit ~level 30). I understand the practical difficulties in making this a reality, given business concerns, but...it would have been nice to see.

2. Where would you like future seasons/expansions go in STO?

The Gamma Quadrant, with a focus on the Cardassians and their role post DS9. We've explored the Alpha and Beta Quadrants pretty extensively, and have touched on the Delta, with the Vaadwaur and Alliance conflict ongoing there, but there's been little on the Gamma - and with the Dominion showing up to help with the final battle of the Iconian Arc, it would be nice to see where that goes.

3. What did you think of Star Trek Beyond?

A fun movie that captured the feel of one of the TOS episodes quite well. Much better than Into Darkness - not that this is particularly a high bar to set. Loved the little in-jokes and references.

4. Are you going to Star Trek Las Vegas?

Sadly, no. I'm currently on the other side of the world, which makes it a bit prohibitive to travel to US-based events!