test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Comments

• gjohnny1990gjohnny1990 Member Posts: 116 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    Totally agree, people that think these prices are fine are being silly. If they are going to charge that, then at the very, very least they have to be account wide.
  • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    He'll get over it.​​
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • rosetyler51rosetyler51 Member Posts: 1,631 Arc User
    giphy.gif
  • hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    Massaging an economy is done by small edits in many places; not ham fisting single solutions in the hopes of making a course change.

Cryptic seems to think this "economy thing" can be fixed overnight. It can't. This is just plain idiotic.
  • farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    Well many people been yelling for a Dil sink. There it is!

I would love the Maco for my AOY. However she is just started, and it will take me over a year to get up the Dil. Time will tell if I decide to go for it. Or in hopes they will lower the price.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
    hypl wrote: »
    Massaging an economy is done by small edits in many places; not ham fisting single solutions in the hopes of making a course change.

Cryptic seems to think this "economy thing" can be fixed overnight. It can't. This is just plain idiotic.

To be fair, I don't think this is an attempt at fixing it overnight so much as it is running an economical experiment to see what players are willing to shell out large amounts of dilithium for.

Depending on how the experiment goes, they're either going to stay the course (if the metrics say this is a popular thing), or they're going to rethink their strategy, which might include (but would not necessarily be limited to) lowering the dil prices on space barbie in the dil store.

This is the first time Cryptic has implemented this on such a scale, so this is new territory for them as much as it is for us.​​
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • bernatkbernatk Member Posts: 1,089 Bug Hunter
    giphy.gif

The Star princess. Anyways, wrong franchise...

Also it's 2 million dil not $50. Big difference. Very big.

Third, he will get over it.
    Tck7dQ2.jpg
    Dahar Master Mary Sue                                               Fleet Admiral Bloody Mary
    edited July 2016
    After reading his blog, I can safely say that Lootcritter should stick to posting opinions about stuff he knows about instead of proudly showing how little he knows about economics.

I don't read the Wall Street Journal looking for advice about Star Trek Online, so it stands to reason I'm not going to go to Lootcritter's blog to read about an informed opinion regarding the complicated nature of an MMO economy.

It was about 90% whine and 10% truthiness.​​
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • gradiigradii Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    farmallm wrote: »

There it is indeed. Now let's see who's actually stupid/stupidly rich enough to use it at those prices.

"He shall be my finest warrior, this generic man who was forced upon me.
    Like a badass I shall make him look, and in the furnace of war I shall forge him.
    he shall be of iron will and steely sinew.
    In great armour I shall clad him and with the mightiest weapons he shall be armed.
    He will be untouched by plague or disease; no sickness shall blight him.
    He shall have such tactics, strategies and machines that no foe will best him in battle.
    He is my answer to cryptic logic, he is the Defender of my Romulan Crew.
    He is Tovan Khev... and he shall know no fear."
  • monkeybone13monkeybone13 Member Posts: 4,640 Arc User
    edited July 2016

Uhhh, he said
    The new 23rd Century EV suit – that glitzy 1960’s tech – goes for 550 Zen. It actually does something and is account wide, albeit for Starfleet members only.

Correction: The 23c EV suit in the c-store is only account-wide if you bought the temporal pack. But.....you can only claim it once per character. If you want more for your boffs, or you accidentally discarded it, you have to buy the suit from the 'Items' tab by itself. And for people who don't own the temporal agent pack, they have to buy the suit 1 at a time, per character. For some reason the EV suit by itself in the 'Items' tab doesn't give any info on whether it's account-wide or a single purchase. But, the Fed and KDF EV suits that use to be in the c-store, which later became veteran rewards only, were single purchases in the c-store and not account-wide unlocks, so I'm assuming it's the same with the 23c EV suit.

Edit: Hey Lootcritter......tinfoil hat time? Tinfoil hat time. Yes.
  • neos472neos472 Member Posts: 580 Arc User
    iconians wrote: »
    hypl wrote: »

To be fair, I don't think this is an attempt at fixing it overnight so much as it is running an economical experiment to see what players are willing to shell out large amounts of dilithium for.

Depending on how the experiment goes, they're either going to stay the course (if the metrics say this is a popular thing), or they're going to rethink their strategy, which might include (but would not necessarily be limited to) lowering the dil prices on space barbie in the dil store.

This is the first time Cryptic has implemented this on such a scale, so this is new territory for them as much as it is for us.​​

i did not think of it as an experiment but a darn good possibility iconians while i for one hope prices come down this indeed a first and like Delta Rising will need some fine tuning before all is done and good
    manipulator of time and long time space traveler
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    gradii wrote: »
    farmallm wrote: »

There it is indeed. Now let's see who's actually stupid/stupidly rich enough to use it at those prices.
    Agreed. It'd be iffy as an account unlock at that price.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • dlmc85dlmc85 Member Posts: 145 Arc User
    Well, i think a few people are going to buy them. I don't think it's gonna affect a lot the exchange cause the price for selling zen and those who are looking to buy zen are not gonna withdraw (they are most likely f2players) their offers to buy a character unlock. Those who are likely going to buy are the whales out there sitting on piles of not very useful (to them) dil. IMHO.
  • aphelionmarauderaphelionmarauder Member Posts: 184 Arc User
    It was about 90% whine and 10% truthiness.

Sounds familiar... *cough cough* these forums *cough cough*

(Well, more like a 75% whine 25% truth ratio on here, but you know what I am getting at)​​
    Support the movement!
    Come stand with us in supporting Star Trek: The Animated Series content for STO! (It's canon!) #TASforSTO

Time travel and glass-cannon ships hurt my head and is NOT what Trek is about. Trek is exploration, becoming better as a species, and gaining scientific knowledge while holding on to the traditions that got us where were are.
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    It was about 90% whine and 10% truthiness.

Sounds familiar... *cough cough* these forums *cough cough*

(Well, more like a 75% whine 25% truth ratio on here, but you know what I am getting at)

Well, there's a difference between truth and truthiness.

Truthiness is something that feels right, so it must be true.

The 10% of that blog post that wasn't blatant whining was gut feeling, emotion-based logic, otherwise known as truthiness.​​
    ExtxpTp.jpg
    Nevermind what i wrote earlier, the exchange seems to be already crashing.
  • tousseautousseau Member Posts: 1,484 Arc User
    Oh?
    (At work... what's tge exchange at now?)
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,587 Arc User
    Not sure why the Lootcritter gets attacked, suddenly; especially since he's simply right: 2,000,000 Dilithium for a suit that's normally a typical giveaway item, is totally insane. Period.

And 2,000 Dil for a single, consumable battery?! Seems Cryptic has finally gone completely mental!
    3lsZz0w.jpg
    tousseau wrote: »
    Oh?
    (At work... what's tge exchange at now?)

It's 402 at the time of this posting. Admittedly, my expertise revolves around the EC market, so I don't keep regular track of the Dilex, but for the sake of understanding player spending habits, I'll be keeping a closer eye on it for the next few days. I fully expect to learn a few things.​​
    ExtxpTp.jpg
    edited July 2016
    dlmc85 wrote: »
    Nevermind what i wrote earlier, the exchange seems to be already crashing.

There was about 24mln in dilithium offering to buy at 400 about 8hrs ago and now it's gone. Half of them gone in the last 30 minutes, effect of the news i suppose.

Edited to clarify.
    Post edited by dlmc85 on
  • tousseautousseau Member Posts: 1,484 Arc User
    So... 221,650 Dil for an account wide costume...
  • salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    I want to start by saying that I think that this is more of a test run for Cryptic than anything else.

Now, when you think about it, the dilithium pricing isn't all that crazy. The proposed 2,000,000 dilithium price at a rough 400 dil per zen works out to $50. Now take the 200 Lobi Mirror Leeta Variants uniform (lots of outfits cost 200 lobi and ALL are character bound). 200 lobi at 5 lobi average per lock box/key = 40 keys. What does 40 keys cost? $45. So 2,000,000 dilithium isn't as crazy as you think. The only reason that people are "mad" is because 2,000,000 looks like such a high number. Yet few complain about 200 lobi outfits that are also character unlocks.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • xayssxayss Member Posts: 391 Arc User
    this is like another good example eva suit for 300 k of dilitium just for the color XD
    nexus.jpg

• dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    Saw patch notes. Had interest in items. Saw prices. Lost interest in items.
    These items in no way worth that much, especially for character bound.
  • aten66aten66 Member Posts: 654 Arc User
    I want to start by saying that I think that this is more of a test run for Cryptic than anything else.

Now, when you think about it, the dilithium pricing isn't all that crazy. The proposed 2,000,000 dilithium price at a rough 400 dil per zen works out to $50. Now take the 200 Lobi Mirror Leeta Variants uniform (lots of outfits cost 200 lobi and ALL are character bound). 200 lobi at 5 lobi average per lock box/key = 40 keys. What does 40 keys cost? $45. So 2,000,000 dilithium isn't as crazy as you think. The only reason that people are "mad" is because 2,000,000 looks like such a high number. Yet few complain about 200 lobi outfits that are also character unlocks.

You're also not taking into account that while, yes, someone on average would have to use ~40 keys to get enough Lobi, the item itself ( In this case Leeta's Hotpants) is not bound to character, and freely sellable on the exchange for the price of about 20-25 keys, on average and not accounting for massive flood of first day purchase.

People using this equation of Zen to Keys/Lobi vs. Dill is not taking into account the more flexible and easily earned EC, and isn't really making sense by ignoring that third currency.
  • askrayaskray Member Posts: 3,329 Arc User
    ...Welp, I need to get 2 million dilithium to get the outfit then.
    Yes, I'm that Askray@Batbayer in game. Yes, I still play. No, I don't care.
    Former Community Moderator, Former SSR DJ, Now Full time father to two kids, Husband, Retail Worker.
    Tiktok: @Askray Facebook: Askray113

• peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    Who cares about Lootcritter anyway?
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    aten66 wrote: »

You're also not taking into account that while, yes, someone on average would have to use ~40 keys to get enough Lobi, the item itself ( In this case Leeta's Hotpants) is not bound to character, and freely sellable on the exchange for the price of about 20-25 keys, on average and not accounting for massive flood of first day purchase.

People using this equation of Zen to Keys/Lobi vs. Dill is not taking into account the more flexible and easily earned EC, and isn't really making sense by ignoring that third currency.
    That's true too but the point at which the uniform was created, it still cost 200 lobi if was not on a lobi sale. Just because someone traded it for EC after that fact doesn't change the math at the point of creation.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • spacehermitspacehermit Member Posts: 355 Arc User
    Just being devil's advocate for a minute - it costs 2 million of a currency that is acquired in game free of charge so it's a little weird to say its 50 dollars or whatever. You could just as easily say that it's free. During the many recent discussions about the exchange rate a lot of people were boasting that they earned dilithium faster than they could spend it - so maybe it's not really that costly?