test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Science Captain inquiring about increasing DPS and survivability with a T6 Fleet Jupiter Carrier

imkainimkain Member Posts: 56 Arc User
I am interested in increasing my DPS and increasing my survivability with my T6 Fleet Jupiter Carrier. I will post my build from STO Academy. Please note that it is not 100% completed, but I did put my skill tree and space gear in there. I am not concerned with away missions, just space missions.

http://skillplanner.stoacademy.com/a86156534d8410a8d6421b23205f4b54

Any and all help would definitely be appreciated. I am looking to possibly invest in the Iconian Resistance space set...and perhaps look into the new Temporal Defense space set that will be introduced when the new content launches.

I want to stick with the Tetryon beams, due to their innate ability to strip shields off of my targets faster than other beam weapons. I do not believe my crit chance is high enough to warrant the use of Antiproton beam weapons.

Let me know your opinions please.

Comments

• Options
    lordsteve1lordsteve1 Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    Note: this is a very rough guide, but should be pretty decent for most advanced. And remember, just fly what you want and to hell with what people think. Don't worry about DPS.

You've got a lot of points down the science tree there so you've got the science ultimate, probability manipulation.

Also, as this is a science heavy ship with 4 sci consoles i'd aim for much more sci focus and drop some of the less useful consoles you've got.
    So dump the emitter array and shield amplifier, you really don't need those once you get into what i'm going to suggest. Also maybe drop the fleet coordination consoles, unless you find it to be really useful for the hanger pets. Often the gimmick consoles from ships are not really worth it, you could get more bang for your buck elsewhere.
    Basically run this ship as a massive science ship, which is what it really is, and have the two hanger bays as a bonus.

Essentially what i'd do it load up as many consoles to boost one of the major science skills as high as you can (Exotic Particle Generator, Drain-X, Control-X). Me personally i'd go for EPG. Slot as much as you possible can to boost it sky high, with this ship you should be able to get it over 300 easily.
    Get to the fleet R&D holding and buy some of the consoles on offer, you can even double up on mods with these so you can really ramp up that skill level. These come in two varieties, giving bonus exotic damage from the use of either exotic of healing boff powers.
    Get yourself an exotic particle field exciter, go for the mod to match the skill you want to boost. This will boost the skill plus also your shield HP's also.

Then slot some abilities and weapons that really take advantage of this skill. So Grav well, Destabilized Resonance Beam, Tractor Beam/Repulsors(?), and for weapons the Particle Emission Torp.

Now fill up any other slots with an assortment of gear and set bonus pieces that synergize with your science magic:

1) Delta weapons 3pc- Isokinetic cannon, does massive damage with high EPG, awesome 1 min cooldown, 100% shield bypass. Also the console boosts shields and the torp is epic good fun.
    2) Quantum phase 3pc - Quantum destabilizing beam, massive damage again, debuff target over time.
    3) Terran weapons 2pc - (torp + console) boost to torp damage plus the console speeds up cooldowns on torps.
    4) Adapted Maco 2pc - shield + engine, boost to torp damage.
    5) Ultra Rare Solanae deflector array - +50 EPG, the highest you can get from any deflector.

I know you like those tetryon beams etc but they really don't do much. The proc is only 2.5% so never base a build on something so tiny. Plus, the big kicker here, they might knock of some extra shield HP's but even 1% of a shield facing will stop those torps doing any meaningful damage.

Now the fun begins, you've got a ship with should be fully laden with torps, has a crazy high EPG skill, has hanger pets for more added damage, and should have pretty high shield survival due to the shield mastery.
    Hit probability manipulation, buff up everything, drop a GW3 on the enemy and fire off the DRB, and a spread of PEP torps. Also have some pets that spam torps as well (such as elite scorpions) and watch the explosions and crits.
    Don't worry about the enemy shields - you'll kill them inside their shields:
    • those PEP torps will set them on fire and cook them inside their shields, whilst also knocking out their engines.
    • The isokinetic cannon will totally ignore their shields and potentially one-shot anything up to and including a Borg Cube.
    • Grav well will cause merry hell with them by pining them in one place and be doing direct to hull kinetic damage.
    • DRB will be doing shield bypassing damage and debuffing them for all you other damage sources

SulMatuul.png
  • Options
    Thanks for this information. I really appreciate it.
  • Options
    jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    Let's start with your science consoles...

Move the Fleet Coordination Matrix console into your Engineering slot. If you want to keep the Temporal Disentanglement Suite for it's combination of abilities then okay. You should slot in two Exotic Particle Generators of the highest quality and mark level that you can. The last slot should be for an Exotic Particle Field Exciter as mentioned by lordsteve1. You can only install one such console but it will improve your exotic damage, increase your shield capacity, and when you heal you shields it also temporarily add power to your weapons.

That is before you take into consideration the modifier an Ultra Rare / Epic version will come with. The [EPG] mod is the best since that increases your exotic damage, but they are very expensive selling for at least 70m EC to 80m EC on the Exchange. More if you want Epic Mark XIV. The best one to get if you are poor is one that comes with [CtrlX] which improves the pull of Gravity Well.

Engineering consoles....

Well the Fleet Coordination Matrix console should be moved there if you really want to use. You do not need an excessive number of Neutronium Alloy consoles since defensive consoles have diminishing effect the more of them you stack. I would drop one of the Neutronium to make space for the Matrix. I recommend the following for the remaining 3 engineering slots... assuming you can afford to purchase them.

- Conductive RCS Console with [ResAll]. This improves your turn rate so that your ship is more maneuverable. Using healing abilities will reduce damage to shield and further improve your turn rate temporarily. The [ResAll] improves your defenses against both energy and kinetic damage; similar to Neutronium Alloy. An Ultra Rare Mk XII will improve your turn rate by 42.5% an Epic Mk XIV variant will improve your turn rate by 50%. Higher mark level and quality also increases damage resistance. Just last night I saw several Ultra Rare Conductive RCS Console Mk XIV [ResAll] selling for 13m EC - 14m EC; that is cheap. Although I already have one for all my captains, I purchased two of them so that I can upgrade them to Epic and relist them for a much higher price.

- EPS Flow Regulator - These are pretty cheap; I think 300k - 400k EC for a very rare Mk XII version. These things improve your power transfer rate. That is important especially when firing energy weapons as it helps your ship build up power levels. The faster your energy power level can recover the more damage your energy weapons will do. Some high DPS players stack two of these consoles.

- Quantum Phase Converter - Move that from your Tactical Console.

Tactical Consoles...

This is pretty simple. Fill up with the best Tetryon Pulse Generators you can buy.

Weapons...

Swap out the Transphasic Torpedo for the Particle Emissions Plasma (PEP) Torpedo that can be purchased from the Exchange. Upon impact the PEP releases a plasma cloud that causes exotic damage for 6 seconds and completely bypass shields. You got Exotic Particle Generator consoles, might as well use a weapon that can take advantage of them.

I would actually experiment with your weapons load out by having two Tetryon Beam Arrays and one torpedo in your forward arc. In the rear I would drop the turret in favor of a crafted omni-directional Tetryon beam array purchased from the Exchange. I would also experiment by dropping the Kinetic Cutting Beam in favor of PEP torpedo. The Conductive RCS console I recommended should help make an aft torpedo more viable.

Your skills seems to need a bit of a revamp. For example, you have no points invested in energy weapons training which would boost the damage of your beam weapons. You have 27 points allocated to science abilities, from the looks of it you do not seem to have any points devoted to enhancing the ultimate ability you unlocked, Probability Manipulation, which sets critical chance to 50% for 15 seconds. That's great, but if you only used 26 points, then you could have selected Probability Window which increases the duration to 30 seconds.

Based on what I have read, Drain Infection does not seem to be very effective so one point could be saved there to be devoted to Probability Window. Points from Shield Regen are better devoted to Scientific Readiness which lowers the cooldown time of science abilities. Shield Mastery is enough I think; points devoted to Shield Absorption and Shield Reflection are better used for something Energy Weapons Training.

The problem with going for ultimate abilities is that you need to devote 24 out of 46 points just to unlock them and then additional points to select the "ultimate modifiers" like Probability Window. That doesn't leave you much wiggle room to devote points to Engineering and Tactical abilities, especially if you are devote skill for hanger pets instead of the ship itself.
  • Options
    After reading the suggestions you two have provided me I have performed the following changes in terms of traits, as well as space gear on my ship. Check it out. I have been enjoying the Quantum Phase set. I have been grinding out Dilithium and Iconian Marks/Iconian Probes in order to obtain the Iconian 5-piece set.

Keep in mind I have not started the projects to get the Iconian gear, as I have heard the Temporal reputation space gear is supposed to be really awesome for Science vessels.

Let me know your thoughts. So far I have nice survivability and really nice DPS. I will need to use SCM to confirm this evening.
  • Options
    With the new content coming from today's patch I believe we will see a definitive change for my ship, as well as possibly other Science Captains and Science Vessels due to the new Temporal reputation rewards, as well as the new Temporal primary skill system.

I believe that utilizing Temporal as a primary and Command as a secondary would be better than using Temporal and Strategist. I also may redo my skill points again and instead of giving my pets a 10% bonus to damage, I may take the 100% reduction in threat generation while not threatening to decrease the amount of aggro I am occasionally taking from the those who are tanking in the STFs I have been participating in.

Do any others agree with this new stance/approach?

I am open to opinions and please converse.
  • Options
    antonine3258antonine3258 Member Posts: 2,391 Arc User
    Strategist is really about threat mechanics - command is usually about torpedo/energy weapon synergy, so you'll see some increased effectiveness from torps, and science ships work well there, lets you feed more energy to aux.
    Fate - protects fools, small children, and ships named Enterprise Will Riker

Member Access Denied Armada!

My forum single-issue of rage: Make the Proton Experimental Weapon go for subsystem targetting!
  • Options
    Strategist is really about threat mechanics - command is usually about torpedo/energy weapon synergy, so you'll see some increased effectiveness from torps, and science ships work well there, lets you feed more energy to aux.

Thanks for this information. I have actually seen this change and am very appreciative of the gains in Auxiliary.
  • Options
    So I have been working with the new content and have seen that using Command and Temporal specialization is a really good synergy for my T6 Fleet Jupiter Class Carrier.

I would like to state that I changed out my Space Reputation traits to increase my survivability and turn rate. STOAcademy link will show off what I am using, however, their talent system does not reflect that I have selected all of the pieces to the Probability Matrix (which is the Science Ultimate move).

Latest build.

I think, at this point, I am fine tuning my build to show others how wondrous the Jupiter Class Carrier is for Federation Captains. I do know that the Carrier can equip Dual Heavy Cannons, but you would have to seriously up the turn rate in order to make them worthwhile. I intend on replacing one of the rear Phaser Beam Arrays (the non-set one) with the crafted Omni-Directional Phaser Beam Array, to increase the amount of forward firing weapons on the ship.

For gear grind, I intend to obtain the entire 5 pc Iconian Resistance set first...and then with this set equipped, tackle the Temporal STFs to increase the Temporal Reputation and then obtain the Temporal Space set for my ship.

So far so good in terms of incoming hull healing, shield healing, shield resistances, and hull resistances.

If you see any flaws please feel free to comment.
  • Options
    Here is my latest build and it works out great.

• Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    If you're looking to experiment a bit with your bridge officer power selection:
    Try Override Subsystem Safeties and Ionic Turbelence instead (or in addition) to Kinetic Magnet.

You've the trait that allows your pets to gain Transport Warhead I if you use either an Intel or a Tractor Beam, so you might also try to use Tractor Beam instead of Tachyon Beam. (Though it's not a trait I would use in the first place - but you can take only the traits you actually have, not you'd wish you had. ;) )
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    Indeed. I am still experimenting, but I think I found a decent build at the moment. Was able to hit 40k DPS in the Advanced Crystalline Catastrophe STF...so I am very happy at the moment.
  • Options
    Updated the build so everyone can reference the new gear: