test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Found on the interwebs...The new Enterprise (spoiler alert!)

erhardgrunderhardgrund Member Posts: 167 Arc User
Not the clearest picture but thats all I could find. Looks different but not in a bad way imho.
cqMPF0I.jpg

And a quick spin around.
http://imgur.com/M3fIjzq

A friend told me there was a post credit scene where the ship had red bussards.

What do you think?
Cruisers ftw!

Comments

• Options
    lordgyorlordgyor Member Posts: 2,820 Arc User
    I think that's the retrofit of the JJprise not the new ship from the star trek TV show.
  • Options
    psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    I like the cylindrical nacelles. :)

Wait, there was a post-credits scene?!?
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • Options
    https://instagram.com/p/BIL-7qFh0Hw/?taken-by=bayard

This was posted in another topic. It IS the Enterprise 1701-A from ST:Beyond
    Cruisers ftw!
  • Options
    doubleohninedoubleohnine Member Posts: 818 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    I JUST got out of the theater, and I was in such awe off the movie, I didnt even notice the nacelle change. And now that I get a good look at it, I dont like it. This should have been the first Enterprise in 2009. The 2009 Enterprise has the sexier nacelles. This A is trying too hard to look like TOS nacelles, but it doesnt work being blue, and it doesnt work being the 3rd Enterprise we've seen in these reboots. Id rather have seen them try a new take on the thinner Shatner Enterprise A nacelles than see them go backwards in sexy design.

It sure hurt my Star Trek heart to watch the Enterprise ripped to shreds in this movie, destruction on a level we've never seen before. And since they did such a good job exposing the design's weak points, youd have thought they would have went straight to the B with a thicker neck. I think when they are done making movies with this cast, they'll show the new B at the end of the last movie. Interesting that they had saucer separation for the Enterprise too, something I dont ever being a technical feature in TOS, and it was sure never mentioned.
    Post edited by doubleohnine on
    STO: @AGNT009 Since Dec 2010
    Capt. Will Conquest of the U.S.S. Crusader
  • Options
    doubleohninedoubleohnine Member Posts: 818 Arc User
    Also, now looking at all the other designs, using this flatter TOS type bussard, connecting the pylons right at the front makes this new one look worse. It doesnt work. It worked on the original 2009 ship because the bussard and nacelle was forward swept. Now they are trying to have TOS nacelles, but they jacked up the pylon connection point.
    STO: @AGNT009 Since Dec 2010
    Capt. Will Conquest of the U.S.S. Crusader
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,367 Arc User
    lordgyor wrote: »
    I think that's the retrofit of the JJprise not the new ship from the star trek TV show.
    Yeah, now that we know the ship in the new series is USS Discovery...​​
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    I knew cashdragon would love the new ship. ;)

But to be honest, from your posts on the Kelvin timeline, I think they will never make anything you would like. Even if they made the ship just right, the story perfect and everything else, Im pretty convinced you would not like it.
    Well I guess the socalled nuTrek just isnt your thing.
    On the other hand I know how you feel, I never liked Voyager, I tried to like it, I just cant.
    Cruisers ftw!
  • Options
    lordinsanelordinsane Member Posts: 274 Arc User
    Interesting that they had saucer separation for the Enterprise too, something I dont ever being a technical feature in TOS, and it was sure never mentioned.
    Sorta. Nacelle separation was mentioned (as a risky manoeuvre for extreme emergencies, since then you'd be stuck without warp), and the writer's guide for TOS apparently mentioned saucer separation as a possibility, but obviously any actual canonical mention of it had to wait until TNG.
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    From the TOS episode "The Apple"...

Kirk talking to Scotty...

"...Discard the warp drive nacelles if you have to, and crack out of there with the main section, but get that ship out of there!"

I always thought the "main section" was the primary hull, thus the inference of hull separation.

As for the Nu-Enterprise-A,
    I like that they moved the neck back to the front of the secondary hull.
    And I bet that there's some kind of new tech that would help prevent hard projectiles from getting through the shields and hitting the hull again.
    B)
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    I knew cashdragon would love the new ship. ;)

But to be honest, from your posts on the Kelvin timeline, I think they will never make anything you would like. Even if they made the ship just right, the story perfect and everything else, Im pretty convinced you would not like it.
    Well I guess the socalled nuTrek just isnt your thing.
    On the other hand I know how you feel, I never liked Voyager, I tried to like it, I just cant.
    Dear Random Fan of me.

No, I said once if they had a better script, a better director who knew how Trek worked ( JJ admits proudly he had no idea ) and a touch up here and there on the ship ( get those fugly nacelles off the SHIP! ), I'd watch it again. It was all done wrong.

I am disappointed at that they didn't try to capture the essence of a great Sci-Fi.

Yours somewhat vaguely and somewhere over the rainbow.
    Crashbang. =3

P.S. I blew up your letter box for not liking Voyager. Ha ha, try to get mail now. dino4-20.gif​​

I kinda liked those JJprise nacelles , at least the shape and the details, i just found them to be oversized both in diameter and in lenght. And i would have prefered orange/red bussards.
    Considering the ship as a whole the secondary hull would have been nicer if it had a bigger diameter. Combined with smaller nacelles and a little more space between them the JJ prise would have been rather nice.
    I still think the lighting in most scenes didnt do the ship a favor as well.
    Having the model in sto to look at closely with more light to show some of the details help the ship quit a bit.
    It has grown on me quit a bit. It was the same for me with the excelsior. I didnt like it, now its one of my favorites.
    Thing is I loved TNG as a show, i liked most parts of DS9 and i even found some bits to like in Voyager and i found Enterprise to be okay for the most part.
    The spirit of old trek didnt survive very long. For me its rather dead since ST7 Generations.
    When it comes to ship design I never liked the TNG style. The movie era ships are still my favorits.
    The few TNG ships i realy like are the ambassador, the akira and the steamrunner. I still cant find any love for the Nebula, Intrepid or defiant. The sovereign was okay to me but it still bugs me that all those ships are lit up like chrismas trees.

As for the essence of trek as science fiction, thats pretty much hard to put into 90 to 120 minutes as a whole. I give the movies the benefit of the doubt in most cases. Its not easy to put morality stories, action , character development and humor into a movie as it is, let alone in the constrains of a given universe.
    In a TV series the characters just have more time to develop.
    That said I think the cast did a great job in the new movies. Even in STID most did a fine Job given the shallow story given to them.

However, to each his own i guess. I for one am glad they had the balls to start a freh, I just wich they would use their freedom and not retell the same stories. It is a differnet universe afterall.

Thing is I do care about the prime timeline, and I am much more concerned about them TRIBBLE it up than in the KT movies.
    Considering the ship they presented for Discovery , it does not look like i find new favorit ships in there. It is a trek design alright, but they choose the most basic and unimpressive one they could find amough the rejected designs imho.

We`ll see. I like the new 1701-A. By far not as much as i love the Constitution refit wich will always be my fav. But to me its an improvement over a design I`ve come to like over time.
    Cruisers ftw!
  • Options
    snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    No, I said once if they had a better script, a better director who knew how Trek worked ( JJ admits proudly he had no idea ) and a touch up here and there on the ship ( get those fugly nacelles off the SHIP! ), I'd watch it again. It was all done wrong.

That's pretty much exactly what they did with Beyond. New director. New script. Touch up on the ship.

All criteria met.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    And they did this
    enterprisebeyond.jpg

I find it rather good looking. Except the overhang of the saucer at the neck. Other than that i like it alot.
    But looks aside i wonder why they changed the design just to be destroyed 20 minutes into the movie.

Cruisers ftw!
  • Options
    yreodredyreodred Member Posts: 3,527 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    Not the clearest picture but thats all I could find. Looks different but not in a bad way imho.
    cqMPF0I.jpg

And a quick spin around.

What do you think?
    As much as i can see, they made the neck bigger (not higher), and also made the space between the nacelles bigger.
    I just hope the ship doesn't look to skeleton like because of that.

It's hard to see but i have the impression that the nacelles are a bit shorter than before. But it could be because of the bad point of view.

On the previous ship i liked the nacelles being closer together, but they should have made them a bit less heavy looking. The whole ship looks like it would fall apart.

The new one? I don't know.
    Tbh, i have given up hoping they will make a series/ movie with a Enterprise or other ship i actually like.
    So, whatever...
    Post edited by yreodred on
    "...'With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured...the first thought forbidden...the first freedom denied--chains us all irrevocably.' ... The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. I fear that today--" - (TNG) Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie

A tale of two Picards
    (also applies to Star Trek in general)
  • Options
    theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,986 Arc User
    cqMPF0I.jpg

And a quick spin around.

What do you think?

Only change I'd make to that design is to push back the pylons so they connect to the nacelles about a quarter of the way down instead of right near the bussard collecters
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
    • Options
      yreodredyreodred Member Posts: 3,527 Arc User
      edited July 2016
      And they did this
      enterprisebeyond.jpg

I find it rather good looking. Except the overhang of the saucer at the neck. Other than that i like it alot.
      But looks aside i wonder why they changed the design just to be destroyed 20 minutes into the movie.
      TBH, the new Pylon design make the ship look even less stable overall.
      I would have put the nacelles more to the front and a bit lower than before, maybe even lower than the Saucer itself. With heavy Nacelles like this, i bet it would look really good imo.
      (reducing the height of the Pylons about 50% and let them connect to the nacelles about where the cyan colored element is on the nacelles)

Honestly, i never liked how the neck and Saucer are connected with each other, the neck should be more to the rear. Having it connect so close to the center looks just bad imo.
      But the worst part is the engineering hull, especially the front part. I really hate it, to me it's the wrost part of the ship by far. It makes the ship look just awful from certain angles.
      I get that they deliberately gave the ship a certain "unstable" look to make some part look more pronounced, it could work but not if you overdo it, like they did.

Personally i would have scraped the whole design and came up with a new ship configuration, that is more pleasing to the eye.
      But don't get me wrong i like the individual parts itself, i just strongly dislike how they are arranged on the "old" JJ Ent and the "new" one.

"...'With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured...the first thought forbidden...the first freedom denied--chains us all irrevocably.' ... The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. I fear that today--" - (TNG) Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie

A tale of two Picards
      (also applies to Star Trek in general)
    • Options
      antonine3258antonine3258 Member Posts: 2,391 Arc User
      Seen some of the side-by-sides, I'm not sure the connection point for the nacelles is a big improvement, but I like the changes to the neck and the Bussard collectors.
      Fate - protects fools, small children, and ships named Enterprise Will Riker

Member Access Denied Armada!

My forum single-issue of rage: Make the Proton Experimental Weapon go for subsystem targetting!
    • Options
      hawku001xhawku001x Member Posts: 10,760 Arc User
      Seems very Primey. I would've committed to the over-the-top JJverse look and kept the nacelles like balloons. Nothing wrong with balloons in space.
    • Options
      holyknight22holyknight22 Member Posts: 174 Arc User
      They also changed the hull coloration from white to the Aztec pattern of the Constitution Refit.