test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Da big *NEW TREK TV SHOW* thread!

Comments

• rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,008 Community Moderator
    risian4 wrote: »
    Is this about the new series?

I agree with one of the comments on that Tweet: it has a Klingon look to it. I wonder if that means anything...

She looks to be based on an old concept for an Enterprise.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • marcusdkanemarcusdkane Member Posts: 7,439 Arc User
    lordgyor wrote: »
    http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/USS_Discovery

Could this be the ship they're refering too, or is the same name be just a trick of Chance.

We know the ship is the USS Discovery of the Discovery Class, but is it the same USS Discovery that Data spoke about in TNG?

No we don't, the article specifically said 'unknown class' ;) I suspect the name is purely coincidental to the one Data spoke of, and I'd suspect a homage to the NASA shuttle, and maybe an indication of the tone of the series (perhaps focussing on discovery and exploration, and first contact scenarios B) )
  • khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
    The ship looks like one of the concept enterprises for TMP
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    Interesting..

I actually can't decide rather I really like that ship or if I totally hate it. :)

It does definitely look like a hybrid Fed-Klingon design which would be.. strange.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    If Cryptic puts this in game, they will have found a way to get me to play my klink ... that monstrosity desperately needs to be hit with every torpedo the Empire has available ...

Glad it's a prime universe show though!
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,386 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    "The video you have requested is not available for your geographic region"... Yippee...

At least, I can still see it on Twitter. And yeah, looks like a Fed/Klingon hybrid ship, and not really the best of kind, in my opinion.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    Finally, after many years, the time has come for us to once again get our Star Trek fix in the form of TRIBBLE.

I mean Star Trek Discovery, duh.

JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • mhall85mhall85 Member Posts: 2,852 Arc User1
    Fuller confirmed the show will be in the PRIME timeline, but would not say WHEN in that timeline...
    d87926bd02aaa4eb12e2bb0fbc1f7061.jpg
  • bernatkbernatk Member Posts: 1,089 Bug Hunter
    NCC-1031, so it will play probably between ENT and TOS, pre-kelvin timeline.

Watch the twitter about moar info...
    Tck7dQ2.jpg
    Dahar Master Mary Sue                                               Fleet Admiral Bloody Mary
    edited July 2016
    mhall85 wrote: »
    Fuller confirmed the show will be in the PRIME timeline, but would not say WHEN in that timeline...

Based on the registry number, I'm thinking sometime between enterprise and TOS.

That ship desperately needs to be used for target practice though ... and people said the JJ-Prise was ugly ...
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • jkwrangler2010jkwrangler2010 Member Posts: 263 Arc User
    Looks like they took the design from the cancelled Star Trek:Planet of the Titans movie and the cancelled Phase II series.

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Constitution_class_model_(refit)#.22Phase_II.22_model
    The only thing uglier than that ... thing ... is the Fed Dyson ship
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • jasecurtisjasecurtis Member Posts: 67 Arc User
    Well, it's taken the prize for Ugliest Federation Ship from the Arbiter so that's something...
    qGPf6Iq.jpg?1
  • lordgyorlordgyor Member Posts: 2,820 Arc User
    I hope its not between Enterpise and TOS, that's too far back in time.
    As long as you play a Klink I'll take it.
  • where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    Hmmm....easy target...and a lot of area to get hit.

It can't be a tactical ship...

U.S.S Discovery...would that be a science ship of some sort?
    Is this show going to be about exploring, or what?
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    NazDNUl.jpg

New Star Trek series? Guess that means new hatred for new things. This thread is already well underway.​​
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • sarreoussarreous Member Posts: 336 Arc User
    it should not be taken as an indication of how the final product will look.

Like hell it had better not be!
  • jovianusjovianus Member Posts: 88 Arc User
    Now I understand CBS new fan film killing IP requirements, they don't want people to realize that the new series is a low budget cash grab.

I'm not even talking about the design of the ship, that entire cg sequence looks like something done for a fan film, not a major television studio.
    "Finally, after many years, the time has come for us to once again get our Star Trek fix in the form of TRIBBLE.

I mean Star Trek Discovery, duh."

I didn't notice that, very funny, LMFAO.

TRIBBLE: Star Trek Discovery or TRIBBLE: Sexually Transmitted Disease.
    iconians wrote: »
    NazDNUl.jpg

New Star Trek series? Guess that means new hatred for new things. This thread is already well underway.​​

I took lessons from all the JJ-prise haters :)
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • gradiigradii Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    jasecurtis wrote: »
    Well, it's taken the prize for Ugliest Federation Ship from the Arbiter so that's something...

Only thing ugly about the arbiter is the.. ok ARBITER is ugly. Avenger is not, which is why I always use avenger skins on my arbiter.

"He shall be my finest warrior, this generic man who was forced upon me.
    Like a badass I shall make him look, and in the furnace of war I shall forge him.
    he shall be of iron will and steely sinew.
    In great armour I shall clad him and with the mightiest weapons he shall be armed.
    He will be untouched by plague or disease; no sickness shall blight him.
    He shall have such tactics, strategies and machines that no foe will best him in battle.
    He is my answer to cryptic logic, he is the Defender of my Romulan Crew.
    He is Tovan Khev... and he shall know no fear."
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    They went for the concept art of the Star Trek: Phase II enterpirse that never happened
    Phase_II_Enterprise.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starship_Enterprise#/media/File:Phase_II_Enterprise.jpg
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starship_Enterprise

Such a butt ugly looking ship.

I kind of hope the show is along the same lines as Red Dwarf because there is no way I can take it seriously with one of the ugliest looking space ships I've ever seen
  • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    iconians wrote: »
    NazDNUl.jpg

New Star Trek series? Guess that means new hatred for new things. This thread is already well underway.

I took lessons from all the JJ-prise haters :)

Well, now that people are coming to terms with the Kelvin Timeline, we can all focus our efforts into hating Star Trek Discovery.

Hating new things we haven't seen before is what Star Trek is all about.​​
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • sarreoussarreous Member Posts: 336 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    Me no like.

Seriously, if they do this, why?!
    The deflector looks like Phase 2, but the ship as a whole looks more like a cross between a Starfleet ship and a Klingon ship.
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,360 Arc User
    bernatk wrote: »
    NCC-1031, so it will play probably between ENT and TOS, pre-kelvin timeline.
    I was intrigued by that registry number as well. The font on the hull, however, looks to be more similar to the font used in the 24th century (not sure if that actually means anything).

If it has to be a prequel series, I suppose I should take some comfort in the fact that it's not yet another previously-unknown Enterprise.

And yes, I remember seeing that McQuarrie design in an article in Starlog, back in my misspent youth. Glad they didn't make the saucer section as relatively tiny as McQuarrie did.​​
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • phenomenaut01phenomenaut01 Member Posts: 714 Arc User
    The music is a riff on the Klingon theme, so take that with the decidedly hybrid look (Federation saucer with Klingon hull and a mix of both for the nacelles) I'm wondering what that all means.

Really expected them to announce the cast today. They have to start shooting fairly soon to meet the release date, so it has to be somewhat cast by now.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Arc User
    What unbelievably atrocious buttt ugly looking space ship
  • nickcastletonnickcastleton Member Posts: 1,212 Arc User
    looks more origional timeline so yay
    design however is not my favorite makes the Deep Space Science Vessel look sexy
    0bzJyzP.gif

"It appears we have lost our sex appeal, captain."- Tuvok
This discussion has been closed.