test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Story So Far Part 1

lordgyorlordgyor Member Posts: 2,820 Arc User
Interesting, but I'm curious as to what this is leading up to.

Comments

• Options
    kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    Well there are a couple of immediate and obvious answers...

1)They're doing it because they just dropped a major expansion and (presumably) just got a major influx of new players.
    2)They're about to lead into the next major arc, since we've now played out 'future proof' and shat on "The Envoy's" party
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    "They're about to lead into the next major arc, since we've now played out 'future proof' and shat on "The Envoy's" party."

Interesting.
    Post edited by lordgyor on
  • Options
    sylveriareldensylveriarelden Member Posts: 531 Arc User
    I'm actually curious about it myself.

Hoping it means they're taking a more "universal" view of the storylines and will be giving some more attention to the neglected factions (since they even bothered to mention them) storylines now.

Or perhaps it's just a lead-in to dropping the faction system completely and now it's all "Starfleet Online".

Time will tell, I suppose.
    It's not you- it's me. I just need my space.

Being critical doesn't take skill. Being constructively critical- which is providing alternative solutions or suggestions to a demonstrated problem, however, does.
  • Options
    iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    Sounds to me like it's just a re-cap of the story for new/returning players in AoY to get caught up on why we're TRIBBLE around with the timeline some more.​​
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    Hoping it means they're taking a more "universal" view of the storylines and will be giving some more attention to the neglected factions (since they even bothered to mention them) storylines now.
    That would imply there is anything to continue, when, in fact, the only actual plot hook left open from wither the Roms or the Klinks is the implication that the Hur'q were behind the Fek'ihri.

Besides that, all the other plotlines are closed.

you didn't actually pay much attention to the plots did you? plenty of holes left
  • Options
    tousseautousseau Member Posts: 1,484 Arc User
    Prepare for KT Kahn to invade the Cryptic timeline... 0.o?
  • Options
    iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    tousseau wrote: »
    Prepare for KT Kahn to invade the Cryptic timeline... 0.o?

WE SHOULD HAVE LET HIM SLEEP​​
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    thomaselkinsthomaselkins Member Posts: 575 Arc User
    you didn't actually pay much attention to the plots did you? plenty of holes left
    No, there really isn't, not unless you try to artificially force holes were none are.

Besides the Hur'q stuff, and the leftovers from AoY, which still isnt technically over yet, theres really no any holes in the plot left open.

I would love to hear some examples of supposed holes though, so I can systematically remove such a false notion that there are any.

I think it would be easy to keep developing this game. There is only a tiny fraction of the Delta Quadrant explored and they could always expand on that. There were races mentioned in Voyager that we never got to see, so Cryptic can take some creative liberty and develop them. There are also other canon species in the Delta Quadrant which have yet to be added to the game.
    We have yet to visit the Gamma Quadrant in detail either. I figured the game was setting up for it, since we know New Khitomer is in the Gamma Quadrant. Considering how important it is in the future, it would be interesting for us to chart it for the first time in the present.

Potential holes which have yet to be explored include T'Ket. She's still out there and refused to give up her desire for vengeance. I'm sure we have not seen the last of her. Sela is also still out there, since she managed to slip away at the end of the war. We have no clue as to whether or not she would still be an enemy, but is it ever a good idea to let Sela out of our sight for too long? During the Dominion attack on Facility 4028, James Fadi Mehra managed to escape. He's a human Augment who leads "The Children of Khan". It's probably best to assume he's a threat.

If I'm not mistaken, Mirror Leeta is still out there. She was one of the few enemies at the end of the Temporal War to survive and retreat. I doubt the Terran Empire has stopped being a threat. I always wondered how the Undine were going to play a role in the future. The sentient bioship believed that together we would be stronger and it took Cooper. It said Cooper was going to be re-purposed, but the Undine never did assist in the conflict against the Iconians. So what exactly are they doing? I believe we'll be seeing the Undine again.

You mentioned the Hur'q already and I believe it was theorized that they had a connection to the Iconians. They never appeared during the war itself, but if T'Ket is still out there then she could have the Hur'q at her disposal. It's also worth mentioning that there was an active Iconian Gateway network in the Andromeda galaxy. Perhaps T'Ket has returned there to plot her next move? After the Gamma Quadrant is added to the Milky Way, we could always take a trip to Andromeda. This opens up all kinds of exploration opportunities, as well as conflicts with whatever civilizations live there. We've already met the Kelvan species, so making official contact with their government would be interesting.

I wouldn't give up on this game yet.
  • Options
    trejgontrejgon Member Posts: 323 Arc User
    I'd guess undine are doing whatever they were doing before they felt attacked by us [via iconian meddling but still]

also thomaslekins you have totally ignored out that somtaawkhar was talking about Klingon/romulan plotlines plotholes - and you went up with unfinished businesses of SHARED plotline as an arument to him, how lot of plotholes are there

The_Science_Channel_Signature_Gen_2_-_Elenortirie_xSmall.png
  • Options
    lordinsanelordinsane Member Posts: 274 Arc User
    There is a plot gap in the Romulan storyline, I suppose, but the rough outline can be intuited out anyway. I suppose one could also argue that the Romulan Civil War isn't entirely resolved (not only is Sela out there and still has loyalists, but we know the remaining Tal Shiar maintains a military of some strength) and has very strong ties to the Romulan plotline even if huge chunks of it are shared. But of the things that are purely non-shared, yeah, the Fek'Ihri-Hur'q connection is the only one that comes to mind.
  • Options
    farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    To help some catch up. Possible recap or something yet to come
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • Options
    The things mentioned aren't plot holes, they're plot HOOKS. The story they were planning on telling for the Feklri was resolved, the Klingons & they're Orion, Lethean, Trill, Ferasan, Gorn, Nausicaan, and Talaxian allies won.

But they left an interesting plot hook for future adventures with the Hur'q DNA and the same is true of Sela and various plots, she's still a hook, but ever plotline she's been in has been resolved, but she is capable of making fresh mischief, same with Admiral Leeta.
  • Options
    snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    lordgyor wrote: »

I have it on super secret authority that this is just a reaction to all of the postings recently involving forum goers' unique headcanon. Crytpic is trying to reinforce the idea that in STO, their headcanon trumps the collective playerbase headcanon. It got lost along the way with everyone believing their own genius through the foundry. This is their way of saying "HEY! Your imagination is cool and all and I'm a let you finish, but ... here's the ACTUAL story so far for REAL and TRUE STO fans."

#yourheadcanonmatters #notreally
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    gradiigradii Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    lordgyor wrote: »

I have it on super secret authority that this is just a reaction to all of the postings recently involving forum goers' unique headcanon. Crytpic is trying to reinforce the idea that in STO, their headcanon trumps the collective playerbase headcanon. It got lost along the way with everyone believing their own genius through the foundry. This is their way of saying "HEY! Your imagination is cool and all and I'm a let you finish, but ... here's the ACTUAL story so far for REAL and TRUE STO fans."

#yourheadcanonmatters #notreally

And for you republic haters out there the story so far includes the Romulan Republic.

"He shall be my finest warrior, this generic man who was forced upon me.
    Like a badass I shall make him look, and in the furnace of war I shall forge him.
    he shall be of iron will and steely sinew.
    In great armour I shall clad him and with the mightiest weapons he shall be armed.
    He will be untouched by plague or disease; no sickness shall blight him.
    He shall have such tactics, strategies and machines that no foe will best him in battle.
    He is my answer to cryptic logic, he is the Defender of my Romulan Crew.
    He is Tovan Khev... and he shall know no fear."
  • Options
    zerokillcf2011zerokillcf2011 Member Posts: 545 Arc User
    What about The Guardian? and/or whoever made him......orrrrrrrr......the Q? Just saying, "Cannon" super-races that haven't done anything yet and fit the "ancient" bill mentioned in that blog. We know at least the Q can be......quirky, and don't mind killing mortals. And The Guardian....heck, they can do whatever they want with him/his creators. Who the heck cares though!? They WILL release another season/story arc....we all WILL play it....there will be complaints and hurrays......and at the end of the day, most of us will keep on plugging away at it.
  • Options
    gradiigradii Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    The problem with the Guardian and the Q is that NOTHING WE CAN EVER DO will stop them. NOTHING.

They don't make good villains becuase they are ALL POWERFUL.

"He shall be my finest warrior, this generic man who was forced upon me.
    Like a badass I shall make him look, and in the furnace of war I shall forge him.
    he shall be of iron will and steely sinew.
    In great armour I shall clad him and with the mightiest weapons he shall be armed.
    He will be untouched by plague or disease; no sickness shall blight him.
    He shall have such tactics, strategies and machines that no foe will best him in battle.
    He is my answer to cryptic logic, he is the Defender of my Romulan Crew.
    He is Tovan Khev... and he shall know no fear."
  • Options
    ashrod63ashrod63 Member Posts: 384 Arc User
    That would imply there is anything to continue, when, in fact, the only actual plot hook left open from wither the Roms or the Klinks is the implication that the Hur'q were behind the Fek'ihri.

Besides that, all the other plotlines are closed.

Just a pet peeve of mine, but plot holes are where the writers screws up and contradicts themselves in such a way that no rational in-universe explanation can be found to explain it.

There's plenty of options to explore, the Terrans are still around as is Sela and her Dominion allies. We've also got the ultra powerful Borg floating around (although given how the plot has gone those ultra powerful Borg are actually just the ones we saw in the TV shows whereas the game ones were dealing with were inferior).
  • Options
    -Actually, the section of the Delta Quad we explore is slightly over half of the Delta quad Voyager explored. Its not that much because voyager only went in a straight line, so Cryptic only has a straight line to work with. There really isn't that much left to show TBH.

But that's my point. We've only been to what Voyager had already explored. It's time to go outside of that area and start cataloging the rest of the Delta Quadrant they weren't able to. Technically it could be said that our dealings with the Vaadwaur aren't over. We might have ended our conflict with them originally when we discovered they were being controlled by the Iconians, but what happens to them now? They're still a militaristic people who once ruled a large section of the Delta Quadrant. I can't imagine they just quietly walk away.

This doesn't mean we have to necessarily be in conflict with them either, I'd just like to return to the Delta Quadrant and find out how things are going post-Iconian War. The Voth are another group worth exploring after they tucked their tails between their legs and retreated. Are we still in conflict or can we make real peace? I say we go and find out.
    -T'Ket is just THERE. She exists only to provide an explanation as to why the Iconian PVE queues still function, but without her other 10 Iconians to back her up, shes just become something of an annoyance, not able to do much of anything beyond petty attacks. I doubt she will become anything more then that. Cryptic already told their Iconian story, and outside of a brief mention in a Klingon side post mission debriefing, no one seems to care that T'ket is still around.

I don't think that's how PvE works. Playing a PvE mission is like playing a campaign mission: It only happens once in the canon and replays are just replays and nothing actually new. The Iconian PvE missions exist when we were at war with them. When you replay them, you're not continuing the fight against T'Ket, you're just replaying an old mission from that war. T'Ket herself is still out there and she can return whenever they want to bring her back.
    -James Fadi Mehra was going to be part of a now cut Children of Khan featured series/STF. They MIGHT revisit it at some point in the future, but its unlikely..

A murderous criminal is still on the loose. It would be dumb to just forget about it, which means they could still come back to it when they wrap up the current conflict.
    -The Undine went back to the same thing they always did, which was ignore everything happening in normal space because they don't care about us. It's very unlikely IMO that the Undine will play any sort of role in future content, as they don't seem to have cared about the Iconian invasion at all.

We really don't know what they're up to. I wouldn't rule them out returning in the future. Personally I would like to know what the bioship meant when it said it would re-purpose Cooper.
    -The gateways in Andromeda mentioned were the gateways to the Iconian Dyson sphere in the Andromeda galaxy, which then moved to our galaxy at the beginning of the Iconian War. There is nothing to indicate we still have access to Andromeda at this point.

You can't know that for sure, no one can. The exact line in the game is "Gateways in Andromeda active!" It doesn't single out a specific installation, it just mentions the galaxy itself.
    -Sela isn't really a plot point herself, more like, she is part of the plot itself. Seka coming back is basically a guaranteed that I just consider already assumed by everyone.

Which could guarantee more stories to be told.
  • Options
    zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Member Posts: 14,769 Arc User
    Sometimes a recap is just a recap.
    freud-cigar.jpg?sfvrsn=0
    f5cc65bc8f3b91f963e328314df7c48d.jpg
    Sig? What sig? I don't see any sig.
  • Options
    skydawn13skydawn13 Member Posts: 2 New User
    sorry for asking this question, but how do i start a new topic? i cant seam to find a button to click on to start a new topic.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    No it is not. It is neither Cryptic's job or responsibility to make up new species to Star Trek lore, nor should you expect them to. They only parts of the Delta quad we will get are the parts from the TV show.

Which is interesting because they've created new species before, such as the Defari. I never said it was their job to keep doing this, but if they want to continue supporting the game then I don't believe it's impossible for them to create more species in the future. Even the canon species that they've had access too received quite a bit of original backstory from them in order to fit them into the game. The Elachi for example appeared on Enterprise once and we learned absolutely nothing about them in that episode. Cryptic was able to take what we did know and then add to that in order to flesh them out a lot more. They gave them more ship designs, created unique architecture for their species, fleshed out their military and gave them different types of units and then connected them to the Iconians. If they can do that, then surely they can flesh out other lesser known civilizations.

The Fen Domar for example are a canon species native to the Delta Quadrant. They encountered and battled the USS Voyager in an alternate timeline. Admiral Janeway would change the timeline and get the Voyager home faster than they should have been so this species has yet to be encountered. This is a species Cryptic could bring to life, if they wanted.
    We defeated them in combat, took out all their leaders, and stopped their invasion of the Koabli homeworld. We are told in Dust to Dust that the new leader, Eldix, isn't working with the Delta alliance, but they have otherwise backed off since the bluegill infestation was ended.

I'm aware of this, but that's no excuse for never talking to them ever again. We could always ask the Vaadwaur if they require any assistance. Major powers in the Delta Quadrant have suffered heavy losses and while the Delta Alliance exists, it doesn't mean they've brought peace to the quadrant. If they were to introduce a new threat to the region, such as the Fen Domar mentioned above, then they could challenge this Alliance and prove too much for them. This would easily bring us back into the story. Asking former enemies, like the Vaadwaur and Voth, for help could be interesting.

It's not that hard to come up with ideas like this. Just use your imagination.
    No, the Voth were summarily defeated by the Undine in the Dyson Sphere, and we have not been in conflict with them since then.

No what? I said the Voth had tucked their tails between their legs and ran away. I said it would be interesting to make contact with them again and see what they've been up too since then. The Voth weren't exterminated or anything so making contact with them again isn't impossible.
    Cryptic outright said themselves that was THE reason why T'ket remained hostile, to give explanation to the Iconian pve queues. Your personal headcanon does not overrule what Cryptic themselves have said on the issue.

When and where did they say this? You may want to provide some evidence because I'm not just going to take your word for it. How exactly would it give explanation for the queues anyway? They were added when the war began, not after. Descriptions for those maps don't make any direct reference to T'Ket attacking post-war, they only reference Iconions invading. Sounds like they take place during the war to me. All PvE maps are like that. Why else would some maps still include Federation vs the Klingon Empire when that war is also over?
    And yet they seemingly have, with no intention of going back to it. It happens a lot in large series like Star trek, with numerous similar instances from the TV Show.

Poor example. A lot of instances where the TV series never returned to explore an idea further have been picked up and explored by Star Trek Online. The majority of this entire game consists of unfinished story threads from the TV series. I don't see why you would assume they have no intention of revisiting something in their game just because they haven't done it yet. Perhaps they did stick him on the back burner for a while and don't have any immediate plans for him in the near future, but the fact that that thread remains unresolved means that they can come back to it whenever they feel they are ready to tell his story.
    Sure we do, they are up too what they said they would be up too, which is not attacking the species of normal space anymore. And since they are the only beings in fluidic space, that means they have left everyone alone as they were doing before.

This is an assumption, not fact. Tuvok and the Bioship specifically discussed unity and how the Iconians will destroy them because divided they are weak. The Bioship says that together we are strong and then tells Cooper it will re-purpose him for some reason. This is something that hasn't been developed further and I believe they could return to this if they desired.
    The Iconian computers in that mission were used to hint as future content, and we got Iconian content in the Andromeda galaxy when we visited their Dyson sphere there. There is nothing to suggest the Dyson sphere gateways weren't the ones in question, and making the assertion that they aren't is 100% fictitious bull.

Another assumption. You don't know this for sure. That line says "Gateways in Andromeda active" which means it could include other gateways throughout the galaxy. I say it's just vague enough to mean that Cryptic can explore it further if they choose.

I don't see why you seem so intent on being close minded on all of this.

• Options
    2. Because I am sick and tired of people like you constantly pushing these dumb, fanfictiony, ideas, based entirely around the premise of "well, since god didn't descend down from heaven and tell me himself that X plotline or story bit is 100% done and closed, it means there MUST be something else going on!" when, in reality, looking at the basic narrative structure of the game, one could tell it is over.

You hate people with imaginations? Seriously, if people didn't have a desire to continue the narrative then Star Trek would have died with TOS. What's wrong with looking at the little details and wanting to know if we'll ever revisit them?
    3. Cryptic said they wouldn't do something like the Defari again because of the massive community backlash over them DARING to add a new race to the lore.

"Cryptic said this!" "Cryptic said that!"

Sure, sure. I'll believe it when you post the Dev post where they said so.
    4. The Fen Domar/Elachi comparison is a false one. The Elachi actually APPEARED in the tv shows, so Cryptic had something to base their design off of. The Fen Domar did not, so Cryptic has nothing to go on, which is why no other "mentioned only" species in Star Trek canon has appeared in STO.

Except, you know, for that one species that did.
    5. The Vaadwaur and Voth don't want our help, so yeah, it makes sense we would have no reason to talk to them after leaving the Delta quadrant.

Yeah sure. Remember when the Romulans didn't want anything to do with the Federation and so they disappeared, never to be seen again? Oh wait, that didn't happen. Neither did the Klingons or Dominion never return. Just because we ended this current conflict with them, it does not mean we will never ever see them again. It would be incredibly asinine to think so.
    7. They confirmed it on the forums and twitter a long time ago. Like you can seriously ask any number of forum posters and they can confirm it.

I'm still waiting for a link to one of those forum or twitter posts.
    8. Just because they CAN doesn't mean they WILL or have a reason too, something you don't seem to grasp.

Oh I can grasp that just fine. I never once said they had to do anything, only that certain plot threads are open enough that they can return to them if they so choose. You on the other hand seem to think that they can't, simply because you say so.
    9. The Bioship re-purposes Cooper because he was trying to continue the fight with the Alliance even after it was proven the Alliance didn't do anything. Its point blank stated in the mission this is why Cooper is getting reassigned, he harbors some deep fear of a greater power, aka the Iconians, that makes him thing this war with the Alliance is preferable.

So we'll just close our minds and ignore the whole "Together we are strong" stuff? Sure, whatever.
    10. We know, we just haven't been spoonfed the information so you are doing everything in your feeble powers to weasel out of it so you can insert more headcanon into the game, stop it.

The only one inserting headcanon into anything is you. I've repeatedly said that these are story threads that Cryptic could reopen if they chose to. It's not headcanon that The Children of Khan are still out there, it's fact. Even if Cryptic doesn't have plans for them anytime soon, that doesn't change the fact they are still out there and useable for a future episode if or when Cryptic decides they are finally ready to tell that story.

I'm sorry, but I'm not close minded enough to assume the game is finished. There are lots of stories that can still be told. If there weren't then all of Star Trek, (or any franchise for that matter), would be dead and gone already.

• Options
    4. The Fen Domar/Elachi comparison is a false one. The Elachi actually APPEARED in the tv shows, so Cryptic had something to base their design off of. The Fen Domar did not, so Cryptic has nothing to go on, which is why no other "mentioned only" species in Star Trek canon has appeared in STO.

Umm actually there was a TNG episode where a sexy alien with a picard fetish and an advanced holo-emitter did take the form of Fek'lhr... we don't know that this was the actual form but worf had no problem callin it out.
  • Options

Umm actually there was a TNG episode where a sexy alien with a picard fetish and an advanced holo-emitter did take the form of Fek'lhr... we don't know that this was the actual form but worf had no problem callin it out.

That's Fek'lhr. I'm talking about the Fek'Ihri themselves. They were mentioned once and never seen until STO.