test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Stuck at the loading screen

I just set up a new laptop and installed STO. I can get to the loading screen and the game stalls there. Cannot proceed past the screen. Tried verifying files. Tried uninstalling and reinstalling and I got the game to work once. When I went back to it I got stuck on the loading screen again. Any ideas on where to go from here would be appreciated.

Comments

• jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    I would just let run and see what happens.

I get this problem maybe two or three times a year. The game seems to simply hang, but after leaving it alone for 30 - 45 minutes the game eventually loads and the problem is gone for maybe 5 or 6 months.
  • predconpredcon Member Posts: 478 Arc User
    I'm getting the issue just now, too. This comes after a week of a plague of SNRs and DCs.
  • gholendhorgholendhor Member Posts: 447 Arc User
    Okay,a question.Does it stall on the Cryptic loading screen or the Agents Of Yesterday Screen.The Cryptic screen sometimes does stall for a score of seconds,then self corrects.If it stalls on the AOY screen,here's a few things to try.Open launcher,select options on the upper right.uncheck on demand patching.Then add the following code to command line.

-d3d11Enable 0

If this does get the game to load fully,a few more tweaks in options might stabilize the game further.Switching on Reduced File Sharing,setting you video memory limit, and your frame rate.even lowering graphics levels.

This helped me when I would crash at the load screen.Can't guarantee that it will fix your problem but doesn't hurt to give it a try
  • nefarius2nefarius2 Member Posts: 107 Arc User
    gholendhor wrote: »
    Okay,a question.Does it stall on the Cryptic loading screen or the Agents Of Yesterday Screen.The Cryptic screen sometimes does stall for a score of seconds,then self corrects.If it stalls on the AOY screen,here's a few things to try.Open launcher,select options on the upper right.uncheck on demand patching.Then add the following code to command line.

-d3d11Enable 0

If this does get the game to load fully,a few more tweaks in options might stabilize the game further.Switching on Reduced File Sharing,setting you video memory limit, and your frame rate.even lowering graphics levels.

This helped me when I would crash at the load screen.Can't guarantee that it will fix your problem but doesn't hurt to give it a try

Thanks for the replies everyone. Gholendhor, i tried the first suggestion you gave me and it worked. Will i have to keep the setting as is with demand patching unchecked or should this problem correct itself going forward?
  • gholendhorgholendhor Member Posts: 447 Arc User
    If it works, keep it.
    Thanks again for the advise, so far so good.
  • jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    Does your laptop have an Radeon graphics chip?

STO has a problem with Radeon GPUs and Directx 11 for some reason. The "d3d11Enable 0" command basically forces STO to run using Directx 9.
    I spoke too soon I think the patch must have screwed it up again.
  • awolzabrakawolzabrak Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    I'm having the same issue. Goes past the Cryptic load screen to the AoY load screen. And STAYS there.
    Haven't tried the 45 min wait time or the command line yet - will later today. But please keep us informed if it - or anything else - works :)
  • carlos1147carlos1147 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Hi all, I have the same issue. I've recently purchased a laptop and I have been having this same issue. The AoY loading screen simply 'hangs' I raised a ticket with the support teams and they have a known issue. I have a i7 processor at 5700 and NVIDIA GXT970M GPU plenty of RAM both internal and on the dedicated GPU - the support team have said this to me. "The laptop you have uses a dual-video chip setup, and that seems to be causing a conflict with how our games detect your hardware. Engineering hasn't found a true fix for the dual-chip laptop issue, though we may have found a workaround. The Launcher, which is a Java program, detects the Intel card as the primary because that card is running at the time, and not the 3D card. Apparently, there is a way in the video card settings to manually add individual programs to the list of things to run using the 3D card. Try looking for this setting and adding Java.exe as one of the programs that needs to be run on the 3D card, then reinstall the game and see if that helps out with this issue." I have not been able to add Java.exe to the NVIDIA control panel. This is also the same issue on my PC I don't believe has a dual-video chip setup.
  • teaiusteaius Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    I'm having the same issue. Just installed the game yesterday in my new laptop (i7 6700 GTX960M). Yesterday worked fine after patching 13 Gb, I did an ISA and exit. Today I'm stuck in the AoY screen. The network activity is low, doesn't look like it is downloading or patching any data.
  • carlos1147carlos1147 Member Posts: 2 New User
    I had a further update from the support team. Although this seems like a small issue it is a big undertaking to fix this. It would mean essentially having to use a different programming language from the ground up - basically it's not something they will fix and those that now can't play it it's tough that's what I got from their message reading between the lines as it wer
  • awolzabrakawolzabrak Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    Actually, I went jaguar's suggestion and let it run. When I hit the AoY screen, I walked away for a good 30-45 min. When I came back, I was able to load back into the game no issues :smiley:
  • teaiusteaius Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    What is supposed the gameclient is doing in those 30-45 mins.? silently patching? Some kind of progress indicator would be appreciated then.
  • captan2er0captan2er0 Member Posts: 835 Arc User
    I've had this issue the last few years to no luck having a work around.

Complete reinstall works once, then it's back to the load screen of doomsday for over an hour, them I'm fine until the next patch. Then it's back to square one and load screen of doomsday.

I have a laptop with i7-3520M processor and integrated Intel graphics.
    Signature%20Base%203%20copy.png?psid=1
  • saintpyro554saintpyro554 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    I have the same issue where it gets stuck on the AOY screen after the cryptic load screen, I found that it loads fine in safe mode and then I am able to crank all the graphics back up and play normally. it is just annoying to have to start in safe mode all the time and turn everything up afterwards.
  • wesgunder1wesgunder1 Member Posts: 40 Arc User
    yep, but good luck to anyone trying to get help from Perfectworld support on this!

score card is
    3 times they tried to close my ticket without answering my queastions
    1 time try to tell me my drivers are out of date when according to the DxDiag file I sent them they are not!
    Now I suspect the next time they answer will be to argue with me rather then looking at the issue at hand!
    typical support!
  • sniper1187sniper1187 Member Posts: 251 Arc User
    Buddy of mine said go into advanced options, turn ON>> reducing file streaming, problem should stop
    "Nuke the entire site from orbit--it's the only way to be sure"
  • meinland#1533 meinland Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    I have a problem now with the launcher, it takes too long to load and engage the game, then a long character loading ending with a "cannot log into world server." Meh this is getting annoying now been trying for 2 hours...
  • jaronstewartjaronstewart Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    I'm having a problem where my launcher just says connecting. After it logs me in, it just sits there and says connecting in the little bar. I played yesterday no problem and haven't made any changes whatsoever.
  • lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    Had forgotten about this damn bug. Had to reset my laptop recently and installed fresh. Got stuck after I hiked my video settings, closed the program, and tried opening again.

-d3d11Enable 0 <- Lifesaver
  • lopequillopequil Member Posts: 1,226 Arc User
    lucho80 wrote: »
    Had forgotten about this damn bug. Had to reset my laptop recently and installed fresh. Got stuck after I hiked my video settings, closed the program, and tried opening again.

-d3d11Enable 0 <- Lifesaver
    This doesn't fix the crashing problem for me. The alt-tab brightness yes, but I feel like I've replaced one bug with an even more troublesome one.
    Q9BWcdD.png
  • sikungfungulsikungfungul Member Posts: 1 New User
    getting the saaaaaaame thing. game freezes on the agents of yesterday display, on the enterprise viewer - looking loading screen, after the cryptic screen.

if I alt tab back to desktop, then left click the game icon in the taskbar, i'll get an error code & the game will crash, talking about a direct x full screen error, send the error report ad nauseam, so many times.

I created a ticket.

hopefully the -d3d11Enable 0 fix helps, thanks.
  • rossclansforce1rossclansforce1 Member Posts: 400 Arc User
    It is getting tough keeping positive about this issue. It keeps coming up repeatedly. Some people got windows 10 to work with just the right equipment. It is beyond that now. WIndows 7 is having issues. Is this getting resolved? It would be nice to know if it is all AMD based video cards affected. New drivers and old drivers doesn't matter for me at this point. None of them work anymore.
    [img]>:)[/img]

Click to Join armadafleet.org/
  • neaaveronneaaveron Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    im having the same issues, again. last year i had an desktop pc with amd chipset and dx11 just would refuse to load the game.
    now im having a laptop with nvidia 860m and again dx11 just refuses loading past the aoy screen.
    i even tried it on my brothers desktop with one nvidia titan and strangely the dx11 did the same.
    on all three machines i can run dx9 pretty fine on max settings and all that jam.

the same issues were present in neverwinter too.

since the new lighning changes are coming up for sto and im getting a feeling those will be dx11 only, i would relly love to see this issue resolved. :(