test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

What will it take to get YOU to play KDF?

Let's face it--Klingons are a rare breed in STO anymore. We all know the story writing is little more than "UGH UGH, HIS/HER HONOR WAS BESMIRCHED!" We all know the core issue here which is a writing one.

But what would it take to have you play a KDF character?

Be reasonable and creative in responses to the question. For instance, you're not going to get a T6 with epic inventory for every slot of the ship. No way would they do this. However, I could see this:

A really nice-looking cross-faction T5, so your main could use it also.
Rewards similar to Delta Recruits or Temporal Agents
One (and only one) epic item usable by all alts
Additional character slots (i.e. one for hitting level 30 and one for level 60)

What would it take to get you playing a Klingon?
One of the many Tellarite Goddesses of Beauty!

If there are posts here that do not appeal to you, or opinions you disagree with, the best way to deal with that is to resist the urge to add comments. Instead, engage with the content you like! Don't feed the trolls!

Comments

• potencethe1stpotencethe1st Member Posts: 257 Arc User
    Starship traits being account unlocks would be a good start. That will never happen though.

I'm heavily invested in the fed side with 30+ c store ships. I'm not going to repeat the last few years saving/grinding for KDF "muh honor" story.

Don't get me wrong I love some of their ships but it was already a struggle to convince myself to roll a 23c alt who can take advantage of my account bound gear, c store ships, and cash.

It's likely I'll never roll KDF outside of my lvl 12 for claiming free stuff I never plan on using.

The game is incredibly punishing to alt players.

Other games handle this so much better.
  • sylveriareldensylveriarelden Member Posts: 531 Arc User
    I think if they released a new KDF-specific expansion- something perhaps sparking off the war with Fed, etc. it would do well in re-establishing goodwill with not only existing KDF players, but also attract new ones- much like they've done with AOY recently.

Sure, they can throw Fed a bone alongside it- but it needs to be a really good expansive release that not only introduces a few new ships to help balance proportional offerings, but also a well developed storyline that ties in with everything else that exists currently. Perhaps the KDF is sick of being thrown to the wayside and being the pawns of Fed and wants honor and glory in battle with the Terran Empire, or perhaps they're eager to expand into new territory by conquering the timeline. Just a couple of ideas...

Anyway I don't think them releasing a few ships here and there is going to cut it at this point.
    It's not you- it's me. I just need my space.

Being critical doesn't take skill. Being constructively critical- which is providing alternative solutions or suggestions to a demonstrated problem, however, does.
  • thekodanarmada#7342 thekodanarmada Member Posts: 1,631 Arc User
    KDF is best F. Also our suits just plain look better.

CQQOc9a.png
    DInb0Vo.gif[/url][/center]
  • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    I already play KDF and Romulan more often than my Federation character. However, my suggestion is pretty simple.

Help cross-faction teaming out. The private queues were a step in the right direction but I'd really like it if I could just join a friend in any of the factions seamlessly and play with them. I'd probably play my KDF characters more often if I could easily play with my friends who play Starfleet.​​
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • berginsbergins Member Posts: 3,453 Arc User
    Two that would help in general now were already mentioned:

1. Cross Faction Teaming: If all my friends are playing Fed, if I want to team with them, so am I.
    2. Account Unlocks for Ship Traits: I'd play KDF to unlock traits, but there are also traits I can't easily get unless I am playing Fed.

One more thing, this one is based on what turned me off when I created my first KDF toon:

3. Revamp First City: It is hard to get around AND the overall "atmosphere" isn't just dark, it gives me a worse headache than the TOS "TV Grain" Filter.
    "Logic is a little tweeting bird chirping in a meadow. Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell BAD." - Spock
  • sinn74sinn74 Member Posts: 1,149 Arc User
    1. Post-50 cross-faction fleets. Tag every character to be able to team cross-faction after level 50. Or, tied to an accolade, achieved after completing [x] story arc. This also acts as a (much asked for) dil sink.

2. Some kind of event that actually encourages non-FED play. It doesn't even have to be a "Delta" kind of event. Even +xp for playing through the Klingon story arc.

I'd say a season dedicated to the KDF, but I know Hell hasn't frozen over yet. XD
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    What I'm going to say is unrealistic, and is never going to happen, however it's 100% honest.

The only way I will play my KDF toon more is if they remove Orions, Gorn, Aliengen, etc as KDF options, change all alien KDF NPCs to Klingons, and delete all references to non-Klingons serving in the KDF. I just can't stomach playing a faction that makes me cringe every other time I talk to an NPC, KDF should be Klingon and Klingon only. Things like an Orion talking about honor the way a Klingon would are far, far, FAR more immersion breaking than seeing Feds in command of Nakhul or Species 8472 ships.

Again, I know this will never happen.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • darkenviousdarkenvious Member Posts: 66 Arc User
    they should add more specific missions, more specific faction ships but don't put them in a lock box, make a KDF expansion like they did for legacy of romulus
  • cross821cross821 Member Posts: 185 Arc User
    I have a level 50 Klingon who i really aint touched in 4-5 years. I leveld him up when the KDF only had pvp to level with. They are temping me to bring him out of the dust with 23c stuff coming. Now maybe add a D5 and D7 23c ships(or skins)and i will play him more, they may have even add the ships tho i aint looked in years so no clue.
    azrael605 wrote: »
    I do believe Firzt City got a revamp with LoR launch when the KDF got full levelling.

It did. Much like ESD had a facelift as well.

I have to agree with some opinions as to First City still being somewhat confusing to navigate, etc. but ultimately, First City really isn't the "problem" with KDF and everyone knows it.

Neglect is the issue, here. The recent AOY release does *nothing* for KDF, it's all dedicated to Fed, much like most of the recent content that has been released. I'm definitely in favor of a KDF specific season expansion, and I think they could tie it into the new Mirror/Temporal storyline nicely- especially as a conquest goal or something. Perhaps they see the opportunity for not only battling the Terrans, but also perhaps changing the timeline so KDF is the victor for the future instead of Fed...

Being critical doesn't take skill. Being constructively critical- which is providing alternative solutions or suggestions to a demonstrated problem, however, does.
  • potencethe1stpotencethe1st Member Posts: 257 Arc User
    You guys asking for a KDF expac or even season are delusional.

That's never going to happen. We would more likely have the factions merged than have a non fed focused anything.

It's really about the money. Most players are fed. KDF focus = most players would miss out unless they abandon fed. Where as a merge = fed players get to stay fed and experience klinks.

Let's be realistic
  • delerouxdeleroux Member Posts: 478 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    I already play KDF.

I have a Fed character and Romulan that I basically don't touch. And I have an TOS character now that I'm only using to get account-wide bonuses, and then I'll never touch him again either.

The game has too much character-centric exclusivity, and requires too much character-specific investment for me to even entertain the idea of playing multiple characters, let alone multiple factions. Even if I thought every aspect of the game was amazing, I'd have difficulty finding the time, desire, or patience to bother. So, I imagine my disinterest with playing non-KDF characters is probably similar to the disinterest many have with playing KDF.

I already find the ship c-store prices to be generally overpriced for what they offer--I will only buy new ships during a discount event window of some kind. Then there's all the grinding--rep, doff, admiralty, crafting, etc. Doing all of this once over was tedious and uninteresting enough the first time through, forcing myself to do it all over again isn't something that appeals to me. Then there's leveling and missions--leveling isn't really difficult, but it is tedious. I've played through these episodes much more than I would have liked to already--I generally don't find them very entertaining overall, especially since I've been through them all several times over already, and several of them are downright akin to nails on a chalkboard by now. A new character also means stuff I have available on my main character is going to be missing--event ships that I can't get on that character, traits/abilities that I would have to buy a second time over, gear that I would have to grind/buy/upgrade yet again, tailor options, etc. and especially if it's a character of a different faction, that also means the ships I've acquired thus far--be they lockbox ships or c-store ships, won't be available--I'd have to buy new ships all over again. Just... no thanks.

It's just asking too much of me, quite frankly. I can't be bothered, nor can I justify that amount of reinvestment in a game that is barely retaining my attention as it is, by developers who don't seem to care, anyway.

So, until Cryptic gets over it's anti-KDF bias, I guess I'm just stuck being a second-class customer who is only worthy of general neglect, because I made the "horrible mistake" of playing and sticking with KDF back in the day, and over all this time, instead of just settling for Fed, naively thinking Cryptic would continue to give a damn.

I originally switched to KDF back in the day because I liked the theme, playstyle, community, and aesthetic better. I liked the BoPs and the distinct playstyle they once offered. I liked having a inherent connection with PvP as KDF--PvP used to be one of the only reasons I'd login to play. I liked the KDF armor and weapons. I liked grouping with KDF players and I liked to be on the KDF side of PvP--a group of cloaked BoPs providing a carrier with dogfighter support. Most of that is all irrelevant now. KDF community that once was has largely been driven away. Distinct KDF playstyles and idiosyncrasies have been appropriated for Feds. PvP is basically dead. Factional armor/weapons are largely a thing of a bygone era. Just about everything that was a draw for KDF in the past is no longer relevant any more. And on top of that, KDF just don't get the same level of attention, and haven't for quite some time.
    You guys asking for a KDF expac or even season are delusional.

That's never going to happen. We would more likely have the factions merged than have a non fed focused anything.

It's really about the money. Most players are fed. KDF focus = most players would miss out unless they abandon fed. Where as a merge = fed players get to stay fed and experience klinks.

Let's be realistic

1) We ARE being realistic.
    2) "most players would miss out unless they abandon fed." You mean, much like KDF has missed out with all the Fed content releases?

Disagree all you like... bottom line is people aren't going to give up on asking them to simply support what THEY introduced in the first place- which is multi-faction gameplay. If they didn't want to support it, it should have been introduced as "Starfleet Online".

How's that for "realistic"?

• mirai222mirai222 Member Posts: 337 Arc User
    I asked for some decent boot options for my non-Klingon KDF characters. It took a very long time, but I finally got them. I am happy to play my KDF characters these days.

Of course, they'll have to wait a little while, because I'm busy with my AoY characters.
    Personally, I've had way more fun on my KDF characters with AoY than I have on my Fed characters.

The Kelvin Timeline Klingon Uniforms were very much appreciated (although still waiting for a fix to the Blingon cranial jewelry, which seems fixed on Tribble), and the D4x Pilot Raider is my very first Pilot ship I've acquired, and the fact I was able to do so for EC makes AoY the best expansion for my KDF characters since LoR.

The constant moving parts on the D4x (like with the pilot maneuvers), combined with the sleek KT Klingon Bridge it comes with? I've had an absolute blast playing KDF, while my Temporal Agent is still somewhere around a Lt. Cmdr.​​
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • sinn74sinn74 Member Posts: 1,149 Arc User
    iconians wrote: »
    Personally, I've had way more fun on my KDF characters with AoY than I have on my Fed characters.

The Kelvin Timeline Klingon Uniforms were very much appreciated (although still waiting for a fix to the Blingon cranial jewelry, which seems fixed on Tribble), and the D4x Pilot Raider is my very first Pilot ship I've acquired, and the fact I was able to do so for EC makes AoY the best expansion for my KDF characters since LoR.

The constant moving parts on the D4x (like with the pilot maneuvers), combined with the sleek KT Klingon Bridge it comes with? I've had an absolute blast playing KDF, while my Temporal Agent is still somewhere around a Lt. Cmdr.​​

The D4x is probably the best ship work I've seen from Cryptic, even if the design isn't something one is into. I'll be grabbing one once they've gone down from around the 700m mark. I've used as many keys as I will on it. XD
  • gradiigradii Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    KDF is best F. Also our suits just plain look better.

CQQOc9a.png

Serious Mechwarrior stuff going on there.

"He shall be my finest warrior, this generic man who was forced upon me.
    Like a badass I shall make him look, and in the furnace of war I shall forge him.
    he shall be of iron will and steely sinew.
    In great armour I shall clad him and with the mightiest weapons he shall be armed.
    He will be untouched by plague or disease; no sickness shall blight him.
    He shall have such tactics, strategies and machines that no foe will best him in battle.
    He is my answer to cryptic logic, he is the Defender of my Romulan Crew.
    He is Tovan Khev... and he shall know no fear."
  • sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    I have two KDF characters, one Klingon Tac and one Romulan Tac.

Putting the same time into them as my Fed characters just isn't going to happen, as I just don't have the time.
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

What I'm going to say is unrealistic, and is never going to happen, however it's 100% honest.

The only way I will play my KDF toon more is if they remove Orions, Gorn, Aliengen, etc as KDF options, change all alien KDF NPCs to Klingons, and delete all references to non-Klingons serving in the KDF. I just can't stomach playing a faction that makes me cringe every other time I talk to an NPC, KDF should be Klingon and Klingon only. Things like an Orion talking about honor the way a Klingon would are far, far, FAR more immersion breaking than seeing Feds in command of Nakhul or Species 8472 ships.

LMFAO my orion does just that becuase its what makes her unique from the TRIBBLE orions everyone else seems to want to play.

No, she is a WARRIOR, her place is with the Klingons, not the orions, and she is PROUD of it.

Your wish for only klingons to be allowed as a KDF race disgusts and horrifies me. Not that I dont like Klingons, but I prefer to play how I choose to play with the race I choose to play and make up my own explaination.

Like a badass I shall make him look, and in the furnace of war I shall forge him.
    In great armour I shall clad him and with the mightiest weapons he shall be armed.
    He shall have such tactics, strategies and machines that no foe will best him in battle.
    sinn74 wrote: »
    iconians wrote: »

The constant moving parts on the D4x (like with the pilot maneuvers), combined with the sleek KT Klingon Bridge it comes with? I've had an absolute blast playing KDF, while my Temporal Agent is still somewhere around a Lt. Cmdr.

The D4x is probably the best ship work I've seen from Cryptic, even if the design isn't something one is into. I'll be grabbing one once they've gone down from around the 700m mark. I've used as many keys as I will on it. XD

I'd recommend it. A friend said it reminded her of a bird in flight -- because of the wings constantly moving up and down as Red Alert comes and goes, and the pilot maneuvers lets the wings move more organically.

I've never quite been a fan of T6 ships, but when I can drop some in-game monopoly money on it, I won't complain.

Plus it's from the JJ Abrams films, so it's already superior.​​
    ExtxpTp.jpg
    Funny, I've always viewed the KDF/Orion/Gorn, etc. alliance as a means for the KDF to amass numbers while they utilize them for their own agenda, anyway.

It doesn't disgust me in the slightest to have others want to join the same cause in order to achieve an objective we all share.

Funny, I've always viewed the KDF/Orion/Gorn, etc. alliance as a means for the KDF to amass numbers while they utilize them for their own agenda, anyway.

It doesn't disgust me in the slightest to have others want to join the same cause in order to achieve an objective we all share.

Also as for the honor bit, I always assume that cultures conquered/adopted by the klingon empire would adapt some of their culture. theres really nothing wrong with non klingons having a bit of klingon culture rub off on them now that they're part of the Empire.

• markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User

Heh, My thought was "add a cool race like Orions!"

:p Which happened years ago and was my second character actually.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • huskerklghuskerklg Member Posts: 561 Arc User
    Remove them as a "separate" opposition faction, so cross faction play is completely open with a few exceptions like ship availability.

Who am I kidding, even then, not interested.

And the idea that restarting the conflict and adding more PvP, a system that has completely failed in STO from lack of player interest already, somehow will revive the KDF faction is really not realistic.
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    gradii wrote: »

LMFAO my orion does just that becuase its what makes her unique from the **** orions everyone else seems to want to play.

No, she is a WARRIOR, her place is with the Klingons, not the orions, and she is PROUD of it.

Your wish for only klingons to be allowed as a KDF race disgusts and horrifies me. Not that I dont like Klingons, but I prefer to play how I choose to play with the race I choose to play and make up my own explaination.

And I respect your opinion, I was simply stating that I cannot bring myself to play a faction that I personally find to contain the most immersion breaking things in the entire game. I don't want to take anything away from anyone, what's here is here and I'll be sticking to my feds.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
    The klingons are conquerors. They annex and vassalize alien species under their Empire. The Gorn were conquered. The Orions swore fealty to the Empire. The Nausicaans were hired by the klingon war chest, the Letheans similarly so and were used to flush out undine infiltrators.

I understand if people prefer the KDF to just consist of Klingons, not something I agree with, and I admit seeing a Gorn wearing the Honor Guard armor (rather than a Klingon) takes some getting used to, but from a historical perspective, that's what all the mighty empires do. Conquer and integrate.​​
    ExtxpTp.jpg
    huskerklg wrote: »
    Remove them as a "separate" opposition faction, so cross faction play is completely open with a few exceptions like ship availability.

And the idea that restarting the conflict and adding more PvP, a system that has completely failed in STO from lack of player interest already, somehow will revive the KDF faction is really not realistic.

The goal isn't to "revive" the KDF faction with the restart of PvP- the goal is to expand the existing faction by giving it a reason to exist in the first place.

Means to an end- not the end itself.

huskerklg wrote: »

The goal isn't to "revive" the KDF faction with the restart of PvP- the goal is to expand the existing faction by giving it a reason to exist in the first place.

Means to an end- not the end itself.

I'd be happy if the teaming restrictions were simply removed. We're allies now and the war should really never have happened, but it had to for plot reasons.