test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Klingon Culture

siotaylorsiotaylor Member Posts: 296 Arc User
I dunno why it's been missed so far... well, I guess I do really but...

My partner and I have been using the recent Netflix release to watch Star Trek. Tbh, I have started with TOS, she didnt... but we both watched TAS to start...

So, at I think the end of TNG-S1 (correct me if I'm wrong but it doesn't matter), Worf has his anniversary of ascension a thing with pain sticks.

Now we live in the UK... in Cambridge actually, but more of that later... but we're European at heart, and we have a lot of French friends, and so whenever we hear the word pain, we get a double meaning.

Now I have this idea stuck in my head of a queue of adolescent Klingons queuing outside a patisserie, all ready to order a metre long baguette to poke each other with...

Probably while nomming on black pudding and quaffing Bulls Blood wine...

Or am I just being silly?

Comments

• artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    Having Klingon eating black pudding is amusing all by itself.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • sarreoussarreous Member Posts: 336 Arc User
    I could see this becoming a thing...
  • theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,985 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    What, the black pudding?​​

It's like a sausage but made with pig blood and fat, a delicacy from the North of England
    I have it in my fortnightly fried breakfast (I'm from the North West of England)
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
    • jtoon74jtoon74 Member Posts: 409 Arc User
      What, the black pudding?​​

It's like a sausage but made with pig blood and fat, a delicacy from the North of England
      I have it in my fortnightly fried breakfast (I'm from the North West of England)

Black puddinf isn't has nice as it used to be where I live (Sutton-in-Ashfield, Notts.), they use to many oats/barley, when you fry it goes all grainy, it used to be smoothe when fried, plus you have that trend over the last 2 decades where they make everything spicey.

I blame frigging curry eaters, if I want spicey food I will eat spicey food, cornish pasties, shepards pie and black pudding should not be spicey.
      What, the black pudding?

It's what we in the North eat for Breakfast, Dinner, and Tea.​​
      JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
      'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
      'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
      '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

• thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
      edited July 2016
      I was stationed in Germany during the Eighties as part of the US Army. Some of the things I miss most about Europe are the beer and the food. Went everywhere, tried at least a sample of every food I could. I have on occasion looked up receipes for some of the dishes I discovered there and tried to make them over here. They turned out okay but they just did not have quite the same zing about them.

But then again, I cannot walk into a gasthaus am der kaiserstrasse at 6 in the morning and order shrimp and grits, either. I also once got an entire class of elementary kids in trouble for encouraging them to eat pizza with their hands instead of a fork.

EDIT: And most of you would not believe just how weak and unsatisfying the tea is here in the Colonies,either. It is a tue horror story. Spent two weeks on leave in the UK and got to looking forward to my cuppa, lol.
      A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
    • theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,985 Arc User
      artan42 wrote: »
      What, the black pudding?

It's what we in the North eat for Breakfast, Dinner, and Tea.​​

Really good source of iron as well dietary wise
      NMXb2ph.png
        "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
        -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
      • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
        EDIT: And most of you would not believe just how weak and unsatisfying the tea is here in the Colonies,either. It is a tue horror story. Spent two weeks on leave in the UK and got to looking forward to my cuppa, lol.

Where I live (North Carolina) it's sweet tea, often with enough sugar in it to make your fillings dance a jig. I always have them water it down with unsweet tea when I order it, or add lemonade to make it an Arnold Palmer. But yeah, it's weak stuff; if I want real strong tea I have to brew it myself. Fortunately most of the grocery stores have Twinings or PG Tips, or you can get really nice stuff if you go to Whole Foods or a local organic grocery.
        "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
        — Sabaton, "Great War"
        VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
      • marcusdkanemarcusdkane Member Posts: 7,439 Arc User
        starswordc wrote: »

Where I live (North Carolina) it's sweet tea, often with enough sugar in it to make your fillings dance a jig. I always have them water it down with unsweet tea when I order it, or add lemonade to make it an Arnold Palmer. But yeah, it's weak stuff; if I want real strong tea I have to brew it myself. Fortunately most of the grocery stores have Twinings or PG Tips, or you can get really nice stuff if you go to Whole Foods or a local organic grocery.
        Twinings do some nice teas, and PG Tips is a really nice tea... Picard introduced me to Earl Grey, but being a philistine, I still have it with milk and sugar... I also like Assam tea (again with milk and sugar) B)
        What, the black pudding?

What, the black pudding?

It's what we in the North eat for Breakfast, Dinner, and Tea.

I have English parents, believe me I know what it is and how it smells, I was just..........never mind. dino4-21.gif​​

I've reread what you put, I thought it was bad grammar is all. With 'the' instead of 'is'.

#TASforSTO

• thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
        I live in Mississippi, so I grew up with sweet iced tea. But most people do put far too much sugar in sweet iced tea. I try to make mine where the sweet is an afterthought.

Closest Whole Foods to me is about an hour away. Went there and was surprised by the high cost of everything. Found out one of the nicknames for the place is "Whole Paycheck", lol. I can see why.

Some joker opened something called "The English Pub" awhiles back here. No dartbord. Wrong kind of football on the telly. No proper fish and chips. And there was ketchup on the tables instead of vinegar.

Worst of all? The place served Guiness Export. Out of bottles. The horror. ;)
        A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
        That sounds truely horrible. Surely the point of oppening a foreign experience establishment is to serve an authentic foreign experience.

What does Fish and Chips even involve in America? Is it a fish served with crinkle cut salt and vinegar processed potato slices? Is it served with oversalted 'fries'? Haddock? Beer batter? Dripping?

#TASforSTO

• starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
        edited July 2016
        That sounds truely horrible. Surely the point of oppening a foreign experience establishment is to serve an authentic foreign experience.

What does Fish and Chips even involve in America? Is it a fish served with crinkle cut salt and vinegar processed potato slices? Is it served with oversalted 'fries'? Haddock? Beer batter? Dripping?

Well, I don't know offhand what you Brits use (I honestly only remember about two meals from the one time I went to the UK, and one of them was an Indian place in Teddington). Sometimes it's breaded and fried, but the better places use beer batter (preferably local craft brews, especially if you go to a brewpub like Carolina Brewery or Top of the Hill). But it's nearly always what we Yanks call "French fries", though at the good places they're usually big hand-cut ones at least.
        "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
        — Sabaton, "Great War"
        VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/