test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Temporal Probes Don't Show Up On Tricorders?

Why?

Is it supposed to be fun to search for them because it's not.

Comments

• thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,545 Arc User
    They are not difficult to find. Requires patience however. If I cannot find one right off the bat, I press the <M> key. Once I am on the map, I move my cursor over each of the white dots. One of them will be the probe.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,643 Arc User
    Reddit - list of locations

https://www.reddit.com/r/sto/comments/4ro6d0/temporal_orb_locations_minor_exploration_puzzle/

Most maps are fine, but the big ones like Kuva'magh and Doomsday Weapon are anti-fun on toast without this list.
  • thlaylierahthlaylierah Member Posts: 2,987 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    Thank You for the link.

Why would they not link them to the Tricorder scan?

I'm pretty sure the Delta recruit nodes were locatable by Tricorder.
    Perhaps they meant to, and ran out of time. Perhaps some designer thought it wasn't need after looking at the small maps where you can't help but walk right past them. Unless a dev confesses, we'll never know.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    They appear to be coded as NPCs and not objects. The Tricorder has NEVER been able to scan for NPCs. The easy way to find them is to look for white dots on the map.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • farranorfarranor Member Posts: 559 Arc User
    They are not difficult to find. Requires patience however. If I cannot find one right off the bat, I press the <M> key. Once I am on the map, I move my cursor over each of the white dots. One of them will be the probe.

Are you just copy-pasting this and spamming it in all the threads complaining about this terrible system? Your little system for finding a probe only works if you're already on top of it. The problem arises when the probe is not nearby and is merely "somewhere on the map" - or, in some cases that the game tells you absolutely nothing about, not on the map at all.
  • thlaylierahthlaylierah Member Posts: 2,987 Arc User
    Why would they suddenly decide to code the temporal probes as NPCs?

If it's so they can deliver those little games well they are not fun either.

They should have just plugged them into the Delta Recruit nodes that were already there.
  • kjwashingtonkjwashington Member Posts: 2,529 Arc User
    They appear to be coded as NPCs and not objects. The Tricorder has NEVER been able to scan for NPCs. The easy way to find them is to look for white dots on the map.

Except in Kuva'magh, where scanning leads you to the injured npcs that you can heal for an accolade.
    FaW%20meme_zpsbkzfjonz.jpg
    Support 90 degree arc limitation on BFaW! Save our ships from looking like flying disco balls of dumb!
  • nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    No, they don't. You actually get some benefit from swiveling the camera to look around and occasionally trotting over to the corners to see if anything is there.

It's suspiciously like exploration.
  • shockwave85shockwave85 Member Posts: 1,040 Arc User

Except in Kuva'magh, where scanning leads you to the injured npcs that you can heal for an accolade.

Because those injured people aren't NPCs, they're an object. The difference between an NPC and an object in terms of the game is that you just interact with objects by hitting F, but you can "talk" to NPCs. That dialog can be actual talking, or you can use the dialog to have a console provide information, or do an interactive puzzle, or whatever you want. Foundry authors frequently create an NPC, then have them wear the "costume" of a console so you can have an interactive "conversation" with it. Delta probes were just an interact that would trigger a popup, but Temporal probes are actually interactive with a minigame and multiple dialog choices, so they have to technically be an NPC.

Maybe a better way for Cryptic to handle this would've been to have the actual probe you're looking for be an object, and when you interact on that object it triggers an invisible NPC to spawn that you could then "talk" to and complete the objective. You already have to do two steps anyway since you first have to scan the chronal distortion, then talk to the probe. It almost makes me think it was done on purpose to make it more challenging, but on a big open map it's just frustrating.
    ssog-maco-sig.jpg
    farranor wrote: »

Are you just copy-pasting this and spamming it in all the threads complaining about this terrible system? Your little system for finding a probe only works if you're already on top of it. The problem arises when the probe is not nearby and is merely "somewhere on the map" - or, in some cases that the game tells you absolutely nothing about, not on the map at all.
    "nearby" on ground maps seems to be anywhere within 100 feet of the player. Space maps? 30km

That's not the same as "already on top of it".
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,446 Arc User
    nikeix wrote: »
    No, they don't. You actually get some benefit from swiveling the camera to look around and occasionally trotting over to the corners to see if anything is there.

It's suspiciously like exploration.
    "We want more exploration! And some puzzles that aren't just 'shoot someone'!"

"Okay, here's a thing where you have to explore the map and then solve a puzzle to get the reward. And sometimes you have to fight someone, but not that often."

"AAAH! Why can't I just use the tricorder to find things for me and then shoot them open instead of solving some dumb puzzle?"​​
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    edited July 2016
    Part of my frustration with Kuva'magh is I didn't know what was supposed to happen with the probes. Maybe I skipped an in-game tutorial where the writers explained to me that I needed to manually search every inch of the large map because probes were cloaked from scans? Or did the devs drop the ball on this?

Without knowing that I went through twice going everywhere reasonable without finding it. Both times it was NOT near any: enemy group, spacial charge, injured colonist, crate, resource node. I guessed it failed to spawn from a game bug, like Hassan the Undying's ship sometimes never appears at the end of the Nimbus arc.

I finally found it on the third attempt.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,572 Arc User
    Why would a Tricorder scan or Sensor Scan in space show you anything remotely like what you are looking for? Looking for Common Materials, then yeah it's great. Looking for friendly or enemy ships or anything remotely related to objectives, forget it.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
    ltminns wrote: »
    Why would a Tricorder scan or Sensor Scan in space show you anything remotely like what you are looking for? Looking for Common Materials, then yeah it's great. Looking for friendly or enemy ships or anything remotely related to objectives, forget it.

Scans can find a crate with banana pancakes in it. Scans can find consoles you need to click on. You are a Temporal Agent, so why wouldn't you carry a Temporal Tricorder? You definitely have non-standard tools if you can unshield and decrypt the probes.

• zellkarrathzellkarrath Member Posts: 182 Arc User
    Maybe these temporal probes are designed to be difficult to detect? After all if tricorders could locate them then they would be pretty bad surveillance equipment.
  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,916 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    I haven't had a great deal of trouble finding the probes. I apparently passed over the one in Night of the Comet, as it wasn't flashing in my temporal list when I checked. Since I was going to replay it anyway for another one of the old weapons, I did so and stumbled over it on my round through the station. The only one I really had to search out was Kuvah'Magh, but I eventually found it too.

And the puzzles to unlock them aren't terribly difficult either. But I'm a puzzle-lover, so that makes it easier.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
    Night of the comet is stupidly easy. It's in the corner of one of the rooms where you fight Devidians. I can see how you'd miss it if you forgot to look for it though.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,545 Arc User
    farranor wrote: »

Was trying to help. No need to get so worked up over this. But I can take a hint. Next time you need some help with something - go ask someone else. If you are not capable of using the tools within the game correctly to successfuly accomplish something this simple, then STO may not be the game for you. If the complexities of moving yourself around the map and investigating the things which apear in sensor range are more than you can bear or they try your patience to the point where you snap like this in public, then again, STO may not be the game for you.

But do not dispair! There are lots of games on the InterWebs which might be just the ticket. I suggest you rush right out to your Facebook page and check out the offering from those fine purveyors of InterWebs entertainment known as Zynga. I am quite sure there are one or more of their titles where you can sit in front of the keyboard in sloth like splendor without having to do a single thing other than mashing the space bar a few times a minute.

Again, I was just trying to help by offering a solution to the most vexing problem currently known to Mankind
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,916 Arc User
    Night of the comet is stupidly easy. It's in the corner of one of the rooms where you fight Devidians. I can see how you'd miss it if you forgot to look for it though.

Yeah, I think I thought I found it and interacted with it. Or something else to that effect. When I went back it was actually in the middle of one of the rooms full of Devidians. No missing it that time.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D