test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Real factions have exclusive social zones

Fed = ESD
KDF = Qnos
Rom = Flotilla

It is only logical that the 23rd century ESD and galaxy map be opened for 23rd century captains.

Otherwise they're not a real faction...

Cmon make it so

Engage

Comments

• stobg2015stobg2015 Member Posts: 800 Arc User
    The RR does too have content beyond the point where you ally with UFP or KDF. There are more missions continuing the story.

So there's no hard reason why 23c-Starfleet can't have extra missions thrown in later on. The fact they're not already there is not a good sign, but it's not impossible.

From a character-centric point of view, once they become temporal agents in the 25th century and are considered dead or lost in the 23rd there's no real reason to go back. They can't step back into their old positions. For all intents and purposes, they're temporal agents posing as 25c-Federation Starfleet officers.

But looking at game mechanics they have a separate progression of episodes and they are not truly the same as the 2409 Federation characters most of us started with. In that respect, they are very much like the Fed-aligned Romulan characters.
    (The Guy Formerly And Still Known As Bluegeek)
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    From a game coding POV they're definitely a separate faction. Their species names are things like "23c Human" etc....

Also TOS boffs can't be used by other factions... at all.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    If you don't give me what I want, I'll kill a hostage *holds gun to faction recognition* I am not fooling around, I mean it!

I would love to be able to go back to the old ESD. It's completely irrelevant to me if that is deemed relevant to faction status or not. But I could see reasons why it's not possible -THere weren't a lot of 23rd century officers on ESD running around in 24th or 25th or whatever clothes. For now, old ESD is held safe in the "TOS" bubble. Once you open it up to people to characters from the future, it will look like... 25th century ESD, really.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,511 Arc User
    No True Scotsman could disagree with OP!
  • giovanniblasinigiovanniblasini Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    Why not just use the starbase that got sucked into the future?
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    I have always, and still do, consider Star Trek Online a '2 Faction' game.

The Feds and the KDF are the only real factions. No, they're not at war, so I agree it's a stretch to call them 'factions' more like Origins, but still.. they are the only 2 'full' factions. The story content is unique between the two of them, Romulans are a 'sub faction.' They have their own social zones and their own ships which is great, but beyond the opening content (which is great) they eventually follow either the Fed or KDF story line.

AOY is in no way a Faction. As much as I enjoy the AOY content, they're not a faction. They're a Federation character with a different tutorial. While I'm cool with this, I always have and always will support more separation of the Romulans from their allied faction. I don't mean war necessarily, or even conflict.. just more content unique to them alone.
    Insert witty signature line here.
    If you don't give me what I want, I'll kill a hostage *holds gun to faction recognition* I am not fooling around, I mean it!

I would love to be able to go back to the old ESD. It's completely irrelevant to me if that is deemed relevant to faction status or not. But I could see reasons why it's not possible -THere weren't a lot of 23rd century officers on ESD running around in 24th or 25th or whatever clothes. For now, old ESD is held safe in the "TOS" bubble. Once you open it up to people to characters from the future, it will look like... 25th century ESD, really.
    They could set it up so that the game code sees the two as separate social zones even if they're copies of the same map.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • potencethe1stpotencethe1st Member Posts: 257 Arc User
    The OP was sort of tongue in cheek and quite a few red herrings have been thrown up.

Fact: each other faction has an exclusive social zone.

I didn't mention anything about missions.

Fact: I'd love for the 23c to have its own social zone we can go to at end game too.
  • vampeiyrevampeiyre Member Posts: 633 Arc User
    Real adults don't whine about matters such as these.
    "I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am."
  • saladinbobsaladinbob Member Posts: 116 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    I agree about factions being more of an origin story these days. With the story, for me the writers fell into exactly the same trap as the writers of TNG's Best of Both Worlds by creating an adversary so ridiculously overpowered it created problems for them moving forward, and in this game's case, resulting in the only conclusion possible - peace. The only other alternative was complete and utter subjugation and clearly that's not a model for a successful game.

So moving forward with the story, they're going to need to come up with a new antagonist. Either an entirely new race or a resurgent existing one. Perhaps the Borg or Dominion or Kelvans (those guys from Andromeda) for example. The last one would be interesting, and being a throwback to TOS, fits in with the 50th anniversary. Either that or go back to the original model of an Alpha/Beta quadrant war which really would be horribly contrived and feel like a step backwards.

The Na'kuhl/Sphere builders don't really fit that well, and whilst it's neat how it ties several episodes from a couple of series together, it's biggest problem is the fact the conclusion to their story lies in Enterprise. I like those stories but they feel more like ongoing events than new chapters in the continuing TNG Universe's story.

I really hope they resolve this problem because I was deeply disappointed in AOY, feeling it was more an attempt to cash in on the 50th anniversary rather than further the story in any meaningful way. Don't misunderstand, I like the limited stories we have in the 23rd Century but as has been pointed out, it's just the Fed Faction with a different tutorial. Personally I think it would have been more fun to do a Trials and Tribulations type episide, with Fed characters being sent back in time to the 23rd Century rather than attempt to masquerade the missions under the guise of a new faction which we clearly all know it's not.

Hopefully we will see a resumption of the 25th Century timeline in the next expansion. My hope is the Gamma Quadrant being opened up like the Delta Quadrant was in Delta Rising.
    Post edited by saladinbob on
    The OP was sort of tongue in cheek and quite a few red herrings have been thrown up.

Fact: I'd love for the 23c to have its own social zone we can go to at end game too.
    Technically, TOS DOES have a unique social zone, but you can't go back after a certain story event.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • yreodredyreodred Member Posts: 3,527 Arc User

You don't have to actually go BACK to the old (23rd. Century) ESD, or change existing ESD for AoY characters. We don't need a actual 23rd century ESD, what we need is a 23rd century themed social hub or starbase.
    Just have that lost station from the episode "tangled Webs" emerge in the 25th century. Heck there are social hubs everywhere, even non faction ones, like the dyson sphere(s), so why none for AoY characters?!?
    Of course it wouldn't change anything in the AoY characters status as Tempporal agents, but it would us give some connection to 23rd century and some reason to buy/use TOS equipment, ships and uniforms. Maybe even make 23rd century BOFFs possible.
    "...'With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured...the first thought forbidden...the first freedom denied--chains us all irrevocably.' ... The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. I fear that today--" - (TNG) Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie

A tale of two Picards
    (also applies to Star Trek in general)
    The solution for a social zone for AoY characters is to do one of three things, and any of them would work:

1. Reimagine the 'Captain's Table' as a full social hub with NPC's of various times and timelines hanging out. Open it up to anyone who's completed a time travel arc, not just Veterans.

2. Build a 'New Khitomer' social zone as a full social hub with NPC's of various times and timelines hanging out. Open it up to anyone who's completed a time travel arc.

3. Put a temporal portal in Drozana Station. Take the 23C Drozana map as the basis for a full social hub reachable through the temporal portal. Open it up to anyone who's completed a time travel arc.
  • redeyedravenredeyedraven Member Posts: 1,297 Arc User
    stobg2015 wrote: »
    1. Reimagine the 'Captain's Table' as a full social hub with NPC's of various times and timelines hanging out. Open it up to anyone who's completed a time travel arc, not just Veterans.

As long as the CT is part of the LTS and of its advertizing I don't see Cryptic touching it and making it available to everyone (though I'd really not mind them dropping that from LTS entirely).
  • mithrosnomoremithrosnomore Member Posts: 390 Arc User
    edited July 2016

If that is the definition, that a "real" faction must have an exclusive social zone, then arguably only Romulans are a real faction.

A Fed-aligned Romulan can go to ESD, yes?
    A Klink-aligned Romulan can go to Quonos, yes?

So that means that neither the federation or Kilingons are "real" factions by your definition.

At least the 23c characters have an exclusive social hub until they leave that timeline. That gives them more claim than the Feds or Klinks by your standard.
  • cidjackcidjack Member Posts: 2,017 Arc User
    Quick someone wave a magical wand.
    Armada: Multiplying fleet projects in need of dilithium by 13."
    95bced8038c91ec6f880d510e6fd302f366a776c4c5761e5f7931d491667a45e.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator
  • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    I'm starting to suspect that "real" factions are a lot like "real" Star Trek fans. The definition is whatever it is you want it to be.​​
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • rosetyler51rosetyler51 Member Posts: 1,631 Arc User
    iconians wrote: »
    I'm starting to suspect that "real" factions are a lot like "real" Star Trek fans. The definition is whatever it is you want it to be.​​

A whole lotta this and even if the TOS faction did get it I'm sure we would see a goal post hit warp 9
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    iconians wrote: »

Its like I never left

GwaoHAD.png
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    We need to stop thinking of the KDF, NRR and 23C-UFP as factions, but rather just different origin stories for characters. there is no point in FACTIONS, as they were originally presented when it was the UFP vas KDF. The war between those factions is officially over, and the NRR and 23C-UFP simply let us create a new character with an alternative back story which leads right into the pre-existing content we've already been through. Yeah, the Romulans got to choose a side un the UFP-KDF war, which got rendered moot with the conclusion of the Iconian War.

Now, as far as forward-going content is concerned, Let me quote Khan Singh: "We are all one big happy fleet!"

Legacy of Romulus and Agents of Yesterday now just give us an alternative point of entry in the story we're all very familiar with. There is no official NRR content beyond the point where we choose UFP or KDF. And I do not see there being anymore 23C-UFP content beyond the point where our 23C character comes to the 25C era.

The sooner we all realize this, the better. The 23C-UFP is as much a faction as the NRR is... As in, it isn't really a faction at all.
    True, none of them are really factions in the storyline. This happens long before the conclusion of the Iconian War, at the point when the last faction-specific missions end and all the factions end up being in 100% cooperation about everything.

After that, the factions are just a set of pointless restrictions on what toys you're allowed to play with. What clothes you're allowed to wear. Which social zones you're allowed to visit. Who you're allowed to team with. Unfortunately, those restrictions still define the factions long after all meaningful and interesting aspects of them have been joined into the Alpha Quadrant Alliance.

Most players will not recognize the factions as origin stories to a non-factional story that we're playing as the Alliance, because the game mechanics continue to enforce the factions as separate and even hostile, contrary to all plot developments.
  • bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    Fed = ESD
    KDF = Qnos
    Rom = Flotilla

It is only logical that the 23rd century ESD and galaxy map be opened for 23rd century captains.

Otherwise they're not a real faction...

Cmon make it so

Engage

you missed Rom = new Rom command as a romulan only social area.
    We need to stop thinking of the KDF, NRR and 23C-UFP as factions, but rather just different origin stories for characters. there is no point in FACTIONS, as they were originally presented when it was the UFP vas KDF. The war between those factions is officially over, and the NRR and 23C-UFP simply let us create a new character with an alternative back story which leads right into the pre-existing content we've already been through. Yeah, the Romulans got to choose a side un the UFP-KDF war, which got rendered moot with the conclusion of the Iconian War.

Now, as far as forward-going content is concerned, Let me quote Khan Singh: "We are all one big happy fleet!"

Legacy of Romulus and Agents of Yesterday now just give us an alternative point of entry in the story we're all very familiar with. There is no official NRR content beyond the point where we choose UFP or KDF. And I do not see there being anymore 23C-UFP content beyond the point where our 23C character comes to the 25C era.

The sooner we all realize this, the better. The 23C-UFP is as much a faction as the NRR is... As in, it isn't really a faction at all.

all very well but don't forget it was not the players who first referred to ToS as a faction.
    the problem is as a faction there is not enough unique ToS missions, not enough free ToS only ships for levelling and most importantly no ToS only social area.
    basically all of the things most players look for in a faction.
    The RR does too have content beyond the point where you ally with UFP or KDF. There are more missions continuing the story.

So there's no hard reason why 23c-Starfleet can't have extra missions thrown in later on. The fact they're not already there is not a good sign, but it's not impossible.

From a character-centric point of view, once they become temporal agents in the 25th century and are considered dead or lost in the 23rd there's no real reason to go back. They can't step back into their old positions. For all intents and purposes, they're temporal agents posing as 25c-Federation Starfleet officers.

But looking at game mechanics they have a separate progression of episodes and they are not truly the same as the 2409 Federation characters most of us started with. In that respect, they are very much like the Fed-aligned Romulan characters.

sure they have more content but it is for all factions not just the ToS faction, it has already been stated by cryptic that there are no plans to ever release any more ToS only missions.

sure I don't agree that ToS characters should be able to access 23c maps but theres nothing stopping cryptic putting a secret ToS base in the 25c sector map, hidden from any other then ToS characters.
    From a game coding POV they're definitely a separate faction. Their species names are things like "23c Human" etc....

Also TOS boffs can't be used by other factions... at all.

who cares what the game POV is its the players POV that matters and I believe most players would say they don't see ToS characters as a faction, just a different starting story for a fed character at best.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• gradiigradii Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User

As long as they go back to a point in time before they "died" that's completely irrelevant.

"He shall be my finest warrior, this generic man who was forced upon me.
    Like a badass I shall make him look, and in the furnace of war I shall forge him.
    he shall be of iron will and steely sinew.
    In great armour I shall clad him and with the mightiest weapons he shall be armed.
    He will be untouched by plague or disease; no sickness shall blight him.
    He shall have such tactics, strategies and machines that no foe will best him in battle.
    He is my answer to cryptic logic, he is the Defender of my Romulan Crew.
    He is Tovan Khev... and he shall know no fear."
  • bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    yreodred wrote: »

You don't have to actually go BACK to the old (23rd. Century) ESD, or change existing ESD for AoY characters. We don't need a actual 23rd century ESD, what we need is a 23rd century themed social hub or starbase.
    Just have that lost station from the episode "tangled Webs" emerge in the 25th century. Heck there are social hubs everywhere, even non faction ones, like the dyson sphere(s), so why none for AoY characters?!?
    Of course it wouldn't change anything in the AoY characters status as Tempporal agents, but it would us give some connection to 23rd century and some reason to buy/use TOS equipment, ships and uniforms. Maybe even make 23rd century BOFFs possible.

good idea I would vote for this if I had a vote, it would also tie up what happened to that station quite nicely.
    it would also go a long way to making the ToS feel like more of a faction.
    Post edited by bobbydazlers on

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• freightstopperfreightstopper Member Posts: 232 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    The only reason the Fed / KDF war was ended was laziness in both content creation and story-telling as well as bias on the part of the Head Dev.

As for ToS being a faction, maybe from a coding point-of-view, from a player point-of-view its a tutorial, lasting all of six missions, tied to a recruitment event for six weeks (notice the recurring trend of sixes here?) and then you get dumped into the same string of missions as a non-AoY character would after the other Fed tutorial.

Also if you take a long look you can see that the base for AoY was simply copied from LoR, as an example -

You can't enter Sol space without an ESD controller telling you how to dock, just like the Romulan characters have to.
    You're suppose to be a Federation character, why would you need some ESD peon telling you how to dock every time you enter Sol space!
    You also don't get the ESD tour and tutorial missions either, just like the Fed-aligned Romulans don't.

They took more time to make AoY then they did LoR, they have a bigger Dev team too, so why does this 'expansion' come off feeling rushed and partly finished?

Did they really think not letting AoY characters go back to 23c ESD to get more kit modules, Boff manuals, ship equipment, ship weapons, ground weapons, Bridge Officers, etc was a good idea?
    Or is it more likely that despite all the time they took to do this 'expansion' they just ran out of time to implement, what feels like, large sections of it?

The sudden change from 23c to 25c is rather jarring too, not to mention you're then expected to change your uniform 'to blend in' grab a 'new, better' ship and head off to start slogging your way through all the episodes and missions.

There's no period of adjustment, no helping hand from anyone to get you use to the 'new' ESD.

There's an entire sector map and the ESD map that once you've done the 'battle of Caleb IV' you CAN NEVER GO BACK TO!

What a complete waste of time and effort making those maps and all the NPCs, items, tooltips etc.

It's like buying a new car, spending more money getting it tuned and then letting it rust in a garage.
  • yreodredyreodred Member Posts: 3,527 Arc User
    yreodred wrote: »

good idea I would vote for this if I had a vote, it would also tie up what happened to that station quite nicely.
    it would also go a long way to making the ToS feel like more of a faction.
    I agree.
    The only thing that reminds the player on 23rd century is the transporter effect and some FX.
    Which is totally out of place from the perspective of a temporal agent, btw. So to me, nothing makes really sense or fits together in AoY.

Btw:
    I just noticed, that i wrote that the station was lost in "tangled Webs" while it was actually the Episode "painful omens". sorry for that.

"...'With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured...the first thought forbidden...the first freedom denied--chains us all irrevocably.' ... The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. I fear that today--" - (TNG) Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie

A tale of two Picards
    (also applies to Star Trek in general)
  • sinn74sinn74 Member Posts: 1,149 Arc User
    They're FEDs, they have ESD. They just also have a bonus social zone in the tutorial.
    It's definitely not fair to call the Devs lazy just because the TOS Zone doesn't have all the bells and whistles people want or because its purpose is limited and it becomes inaccessible after a certain point.

I'm sure that the Devs wanted to do more, but they had a deadline and priorities to meet.

When you start itemizing everything they delivered and what they're working on ( console), you realize it's quite a lot.
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,360 Arc User

If that is the definition, that a "real" faction must have an exclusive social zone, then arguably only Romulans are a real faction.

A Fed-aligned Romulan can go to ESD, yes?
    A Klink-aligned Romulan can go to Quonos, yes?

So that means that neither the federation or Kilingons are "real" factions by your definition.

At least the 23c characters have an exclusive social hub until they leave that timeline. That gives them more claim than the Feds or Klinks by your standard.
    I was popping in to make this exact point. The Romulan Republic is the only group in the game with an "exclusive" social zone; therefore, by the OP's reasoning, the RR is the only "real faction" there is.​​
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png