test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Should We Have a More Consistent Rollout of Content or Large Expansions

teknesiateknesia Member Posts: 860 Arc User
It occurred to me, with all the complaints that I've read about AoY and the comparisons to DR and LoR in reference to content that there is a slight problem when comparing them and that is that unlike DR and LoR, in the lead up to AoY, we've had a much more consistent stream of content. We had most of Future Proof already on the books and the Iconian War at our backs. Now, with LoR, I don't recall much of anything being added soon before LoR aside from an adventure zone and I feel as though that was a ways before we got to LoR. With DR, you had a total of 2 added episodes, Borg/Undine being revamped a tad, and some Klingon War content remastered.

Taking into account also that some of the resources are vested into the console side of things right now and adding that with the steady stream of content that we've been getting and AoY looks a little more reasonable in respect to Cryptic's typical output. So, with that being said:
edbf9204-c725-4dab-a35a-46626a4cb978.jpg

Should We Have a More Consistent Rollout of Content or Large Expansions 22 votes

A steady stream of content
59%
ikonn#1068garaks31dmtazrael605ricardo58crashdragonvelimattialaaiden089kekvinraiggex101101010asuran14wuffingaseu 13 votes
One big expac every 1-2 years
13%
kodachikunoofficerbatman81freightstopper 3 votes
Not Sure
27%
nikeixsnoggymack22bengahltaylor1701dthekodanarmada#7342baldrick8 6 votes

Comments

• Options
    baldrick8baldrick8 Member Posts: 100 Arc User
    Not Sure
    I can haz both?
  • Options
    bengahlbengahl Member Posts: 74 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    Not Sure
    Yes and No, i think.. some expansions need that 'hook' & what's being done now is a big chunk to get people started, and the rest will trickle in over time..

i can live with that.
  • Options
    asuran14asuran14 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    I honestly do prefer kind of a more Medium size expansion that comes out in either two or three parts spread out in the year, but than in between these story/expansion focused updates we get smaller filler episodes of content to keep players seeing a good roll out of content. To me one issue I seen is that the story an events of things like the Iconian war for instance get pushed out an completed too quickly, which diminishes the interests an over impact of the missions/story fo the expansion. Imagine if the story line that went from the beginning of delta expansion to the end of the Iconian war had been spread out more an developed more, with small story arcs that took us thru the delta quad witnessing the rise/actions of the Vaadwaur, the a slower reveal of the involvement of the survivors of the Iconians an then the Iconians themselves, and than finally culminating with actual shorter yet more numerous missions dealing with the Iconians. Even with the war with the Iconians taking up a year or more of content, as they also kept looking for "The other", before finally finishing with them targeting the main faction worlds over just earth.

It always seems like we are finishing a story arc or expansion, before it is even getting started moving onto a new expansion. Though i will say that I do feel if they could more directly monetize mission an such content, than it might get more time an resource time. Now I do not think that main-story arc missions should be c-store bound, but things like side-story arcs an sector/quad expansion mission packs could be.
  • Options
    ikonn#1068 ikonn Member Posts: 1,449 Arc User
    If they were to put out one expansion per year, for example, many players won't even do anything until it goes live. Once live, they'll blow through the content in a VERY short time and disappear until the next one.

At least with a trickle of content throughout the year, more people, IMO, will be playing... and Cryptic hopes, paying.
    -AoP- Warrior's Blood (KDF Armada) / -AoP- Qu' raD qulbo'Degh / -AoP- Project Phoenix
  • Options
    velimattialavelimattiala Member Posts: 111 Arc User
    Current system is fine. Steady content as featured episodes and couple of larger season set per year. Expansions whenever,
  • Options
    taylor1701dtaylor1701d Member Posts: 3,099 Arc User
    Not Sure
    I like getting a featured episode once every 2 months or so.
    I consider that fairly steady (with the usual events thrown in).

The big expansions can be really fun if done well. But, we expect a lot out of expansions, so when it doesn't go well, it feels like a major loss/waste of Dev time.

So not getting anything for 2 years, and then being disappointed is not a great way to keep players around.
    People will get bored with the content, and probably just leave for long periods at a time.

In the 2 months prior to AoY, I noticed (anecdotally) that the game seemed really, really quiet.
    Seems like its bustling with life again though. So I guess people really do just show up for the new seasons, and episodes, then go do something else until the next seasonal release.

Which is fine I guess, but it doesn't help Cryptics metrics.
    [img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg
  • Options
    where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    I am so far behind as it is already....I really don't care which way they do it.
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    sqwishedsqwished Member Posts: 1,475 Bug Hunter
    Personally I'd like to see more dedicated to fixing the bugs in game. But that's just my opinion.
    Oh, it's not broken? We can soon fix that!