test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

TNG era male Romulan hairstyles in a TOS ( flavored ) setting?

sernonserculionsernonserculion Member Posts: 749 Arc User
edited July 2016 in Romulan Discussion
The initial expansion mission ( for existing characters ), take you down in a Tal Shiar disguise, so you can be revealed a bit later and shoot the snot out of everyone. But the male hair styles are anachronistic. And even if there is some alternate timeline shenanigans going on, it crashes with that "TOS flavor" feeling. IMHO.

The rest of the disguise was nice though. Always said TOS Tal Shiar uniforms should be green. At least back to the point where it was said!

( Edited for language. )
Post edited by sernonserculion on

Comments

• Options
    kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    the male hairs in that mission almost exactly what we see them have on the TOS episode that introduced us to Romulans in the first place.... and considering that we're going BACK in time to do that mission.... of course the hair style is anachronistic... its SUPPOSED to be hair from that time not now.... The fact that somewhere some numbnuts decided all Romulans, except one female captain, have a single bowl from which all hair is cut for centuries unending is beside the point.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Mission: The Core of the Matter.

My male Romulan away team in disguise, had not the haircut from "Balance of Terror", which is more like a straight bang combed down, but rather sported the much later TNG era V-Shape.

Anachronism in this context, means a TNG fashion appearing in a TOS setting, very specifically. Google the "Evolution of Romulans" for a "historical" reference.

Important to note that this affect your own crew only. Not the "natives" as such.

( Edited for clarity. Also youtube seem to agree with me. So there is that. )
    Post edited by sernonserculion on
  • Options
    you might want to look at the Romulan hairstyle in the ENT episodes and notice their hair
  • Options
    you might want to look at the Romulan hairstyle in the ENT episodes and notice their hair

When the statement is to recreate a TOS themed feeling, then ENT is not by that standard, TOS. It is more like ENT, I dare say.
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    Simple. The Romulans in Balance of Terror were hair rebels who were banished for their disdain for the official state bowl :D.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    artan42 wrote: »
    Simple. The Romulans in Balance of Terror were hair rebels who were banished for their disdain for the official state bowl :D.​​

makes sense why they were sent on a suicidal mission

When the statement is to recreate a TOS themed feeling, then ENT is not by that standard, TOS. It is more like ENT, I dare say.
    You are missing the point... we have uniform bowl cuts in ENT, we have uniform bowl cuts in TNG and onward. This means the 2 episodes of TOS are the abberations and that the State Mandated Holy Bowl was not used. Tho Mark Leonard's Hair and his crew's hair were not terribly far off
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Well, I can't argue against the Holy Bowl Cut, and end up with something funny in my Romulan Ale, very accidentally of course. Know thy limits. :D

( Spulling. )
  • Options
    HOWEVER, the Away Team in disguise, is using a cracked bowl, not the standard-issue bowl...
  • Options
    archbetharchbeth Member Posts: 53 Arc User
    It's the Tal Shiar Military Cut, which is slightly different from the usual Regulation Military Cut?
  • Options
    I prefer the "holy bowl cut" but thats prolly more reasonable