test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

what would it actually take for some people to stop defending cryptic?

Comments

• thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    You mean like Internet Checkers and tic-tac-toe? Awesome! It means I qualify!
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • reynoldsxdreynoldsxd Member Posts: 977 Arc User
    You could of course grow up and consider this:

The ToS missions were laden with nostalgia and very in style with what ToS was. The music is well done, the ambient soundworks are well done.
    Its full of little eastereggs, much like Delta rising was. It shows love went into the work.
    I had fun listening to the old sound clips, and because why not, i do not need someone else to try and rerecord nostalgia.

It was great to hear the Guys from Star Trek Continues.

I think the infinity lockbox has been a great thing, dumpign the prices of all those expensive things. The Kelvin themed lockbox also is nice, and the ships are well done and please many people who wanted them.

I have fun bringign a totally twinked char into the story again, she is alread vice admiral and has started the romulan arc just now.

So She is now rocking 2 boffs with undinee troll guns, 2 boffs with herald win staffs and herself carries the lolwut worthy khan gun. Having a blast.

Then there is the t6 Paladin battlecrusier which is even better than the arbiter for my purposes and fun to fly around.

All in all, cryptic has done much to remedy the problem Delta rising created and delivered decent content.

• bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    I don't agree that it is always the same players defending cryptic, there will always be a cross section of players who are not happy with a particular thing and there will be others who are happy, that is just a case of you cant please everyone all of the time, its not a case that the ones that are defending cryptic are always the same ones no matter what.
    for example there are certain things cryptic have done that a lot of players did not like where I thought was pretty cool or maybe didn't particularly like but at least I could understand cryptics reason for doing the thing and then there have been other things that cryptic has done that I totally disagreed with where there were other posters whole heartedly agreed with the things and defended cryptics reason for doing them.

providing that the majority of the game is fun to play and most of the things cryptic does I am happy with then I am happy to continue playing, if there was ever a time that everything cryptic did made me unhappy and I no longer enjoyed the game as a result then I would stop playing even if there was some players who were still mostly happy with the way things are.

I am sure if you could do a pole of every thing that has happened in sto you will find that there are always different things that all players either like or dislike, nobody can be 100% happy with the game and everything cryptic does and nobody can be 100% unhappy with the game and everything cryptic does and bother to keep playing.

two examples...
    many players thought adding dinosaurs with lasers was stupid and spoiled the game where I thought it was a pretty cool thing and thoroughly enjoyed the addition and said so on the forum.
    I thought charging zen to upgrade T5 ships to T5U was a totally unfair move on cryptics part and said so on the forum but many players defended cryptic on the matter (probably the same ones who were moaning about dinosaurs with lasers).

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• nadiezjanadiezja Member Posts: 629 Arc User
    Charge for content. Effectively charge for content by making actual story missions difficult enough that you need CStore or Lobi or lockbox stuff to play it. Endorse Donald Trump for President.

As long as the game remains what it is - in other words, actually free to play, all content, all the time - I'll offer suggestions and hopes for ways it could be better, but I won't really complain all that much.
  • farranorfarranor Member Posts: 559 Arc User
    Can someone direct me to where Cryptic called 23c a faction and AoY an expansion pack? It's cool content, and I really like the film grain effect, but there's barely an afternoon's worth of content.
  • cidjackcidjack Member Posts: 2,017 Arc User
    Unless someone has a real gripe and lays out their point of view without personal attacks against the developers and the company as whole is the day I will not ride in on my white horse and defend them. As this is the internet I will always be a white knight.
    Armada: Multiplying fleet projects in need of dilithium by 13."
    95bced8038c91ec6f880d510e6fd302f366a776c4c5761e5f7931d491667a45e.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,362 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    pulserazor wrote: »
    People will stop defending Cryptic when Cryptic stops cashing in on IP Titles and Niche Markets, and attempts to make a genuine game for genuine gamers.
    You might want to follow this link: No True Scotsman​​
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    WHAT WOULD IT ACTUALLY TAKE FOR SOME PEOPLE TO STOP DEFENDING CRYPTIC?

Simple...

Convince all the players who do not share your point of view to stop playing STO, or convince them to adopt your point of view.
  • tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    a73FFAF.png
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
  • taylor1701dtaylor1701d Member Posts: 3,099 Arc User
    OP, would you be satisfied if everyone held your opinion ? Would that make YOU stop complaining ? Seems like that is the only thing that would do the trick for you. LOL

I liked AoY arc (the environments were a beautiful trip into memory lane, ripped right from the screen of TOS). It was however a bit short, but.... who is to say they will "never" add to it ?
    There may be other episodes in the works for all we know....or they may be considering doing additional eps.. (I wouldn't object to that, I really liked partaking in some of the TOS iconic scenes.

Anyway, like the saying, You can't please everyone all the time.

But hey, OP; NO MAN'S SKY comes out Aug 9th... I'm sure you'll find happiness and satisfaction there. Or maybe not. You seem to like to complain about things, so I'm sure you'll find something (or someone) in NMS that doesn't sit well with your vision of what should be.

Oh well, some people are impossible to please.
    :mrgreen:

[img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg
  • crusader2007crusader2007 Member Posts: 1,803 Arc User
    You must be new around here..without going farther see the threads about Delta Rising and the disaster it brought when they nerfed the game to oblivion. Yet some people did not care...there is a different about being neutral but a lot more to take a stance for something unworthy. tiger-25.gif​​
    DUwNP.gif

• gradiigradii Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    If people would stop accusing or attacking cryptic, maybe people would stop defending it. :p

"He shall be my finest warrior, this generic man who was forced upon me.
    Like a badass I shall make him look, and in the furnace of war I shall forge him.
    he shall be of iron will and steely sinew.
    In great armour I shall clad him and with the mightiest weapons he shall be armed.
    He will be untouched by plague or disease; no sickness shall blight him.
    He shall have such tactics, strategies and machines that no foe will best him in battle.
    He is my answer to cryptic logic, he is the Defender of my Romulan Crew.
    He is Tovan Khev... and he shall know no fear."
  • sylveriareldensylveriarelden Member Posts: 531 Arc User
    There will always be disagreements. Until such time everyone is a carbon-copy of everyone else, people will offer varying opinions. Welcome to the real world. This is also why we'll never have "world peace", because as long as someone else wants what someone else has, you'll have conflicts.

As far as "defending" or "attacking" Cryptic, etc- I'd like to share a bit of my own perspective here. (something to ponder)

I've seen varying attitudes displayed on the forums over time, and it seems the game itself actually manifests varying degrees of emotion- and for me, I view that as Cryptic must be doing something right, to be able to reach to the base of customers (even prospective ones).

Do I agree with everything that's proposed or implemented? Of course not. There have been many things that are sticking points with me personally as well- but the reality here is they've done more right than they have wrong, the game has survived this long and didn't get shut down in the first year due to lack of revenue. I'll repeat what I always have- which is, as long as I'm enjoying this game I'll continue to play it, and when I stop enjoying it, I won't. I also live by a motto- which is, if you can do a better job- here's the keys, and good luck.

I've always loved Star Trek, from the time I was a kid, and this game is actually the closest implementation (minus the "space barbie" perspective) to it that we can currently enjoy.
    It's not you- it's me. I just need my space.

Being critical doesn't take skill. Being constructively critical- which is providing alternative solutions or suggestions to a demonstrated problem, however, does.
  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    I played the TOS content without throwing any money at Cryptic. I still have only four BOFF slots because I haven't leveled him to 20 yet. I haven't bought any pack that has been put out when new content is being put out.

I do buy zen on occasion when I need slots or inventory space or a few keys to open the myriad lockboxes I've managed to acquire.

I do want to buy a LTS, if they'll get up off their duffs and put on a sale so I can better afford it.

Otherwise, throwing money at the game? Only once in a blue moon or two. And I still manage to play through the content without problems, even in my T5-U ships.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    OP, what would it actually it take to get some people to post constructive criticism to the forums instead of childishly spewing bile at the screen?
  • themetalstickmanthemetalstickman Member Posts: 1,010 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    I know what it would take for me not to defend them. Them pulling the plug on STO.

As long as STO is around, I am fine with them. If STO dies, I won't have to deal with them anymore.

I see no problems with this arrangement.
    Og12TbC.jpg

Your father was captain of a starship for twelve minutes. He saved 800 lives, including your mother's, and yours.

I dare you to do better.
  • ccs46ccs46 Member Posts: 117 Arc User
    nikeix wrote: »
    What will it make for people to grasp there's more to a faction that mission count?

Or maybe to have that lightbulb moment that we stopped having separate missions for the three factions years ago and maybe expecting them to fritter away developer time on content that can only be run by a fraction of the player base isn't just unreasonable, it's outright STUPID.
    I completely agree.

Quick off topic thing: Where in STO is your signature taken?

• delerouxdeleroux Member Posts: 478 Arc User
    i have noticed that there are some people who seem to defend cryptic no matter what they do.

Nothing. They are simply incapable of being critical because they are far too biased, and I imagine many simply don't know any better. Much of what remains of this increasingly insular player population has far too much invested in this game--time, money, energy, irrational feels--to discard their tinted, filtered lenses, or to even acknowledge that they're wearing them.

There's a term for them that is used to describe a certain type of pro-wrestling fan--it's a term that comes from old carny lingo and practices. They're "marks." The carny staff would pick gullible, hapless dupes out of the crowd--people they could easily take advantage of--and they'd discreetly mark the back of their attire with white chalk to let the rest of the staff know this person was the mark--this person was one they could easily get away with scalping. Much of the remaining player-base are marks for Cryptic, and if that wasn't bad enough, many of those are also apologists.
  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    Way I see it. I enjoy playing the game as it is. I have very few issues with it and playing with mostly 'free' T6 ships with gear I swap over from other ships to avoid having to buy stuff.

I still have no problems going through content, having fun and not worrying about whether or not there's a Connie in one of my lockboxes.

I sometimes don't even play story missions, but just craft and play in the DSEs to while away time.

I suppose I've defended them on occasion, and been (figuratively) smacked about it. I just shrugged and continued on.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • delerouxdeleroux Member Posts: 478 Arc User
    azrael605 wrote: »
    @deleroux

Nice assumptions, all wrong of course. Just because someone does not agree with you does not mean they are incapable of being critical nor does it make them "marks" of any kind.

You also, I note, make unsubstantiated and flat out wrong assumptions and assertions about the size and personality of the STO playerbase, assumptions that if they were even in the same solar system as right would mean there would be no console launch coming, and the game would already have been shut down.

Exhibit A ^
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    Some of us don't actually like factions.

Some of us think the way TOSFed was done, as an origin story, is the best way. The way all the factions should be done.

At endgame, all a faction is is a list of things I'm not allowed to play with. Do not want.

Not because I'm "defending Cryptic," but because this really is the way I prefer things to be.
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    And some are incapable of enjoying Cryptic's work and giving them credit for what they get right. Complaint and imagined suffering brings them what passes for joy
    deleroux wrote: »
    azrael605 wrote: »
    @deleroux

Nice assumptions, all wrong of course. Just because someone does not agree with you does not mean they are incapable of being critical nor does it make them "marks" of any kind.

You also, I note, make unsubstantiated and flat out wrong assumptions and assertions about the size and personality of the STO playerbase, assumptions that if they were even in the same solar system as right would mean there would be no console launch coming, and the game would already have been shut down.

Exhibit A ^

"You're either with us or against us"

The world is black and white. If you do not hate all of Cryptic's endeavors you are a fool, a mark, suffering from Stockholm syndrome and probably not even living in your mom's basement! Why do you hate freedom?
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    Who The Hell Cares?

So some folks do and some folks don't...

Why does it matter to you?

You don't have to live or work with them, get over it.

smh
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • jbmonroejbmonroe Member Posts: 809 Arc User
    How is this train wreck not closed yet?
    boldly-watched.png