test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Which expansion do you think was STOs best?

evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
Which expansion do you think was STOs best?

I'm going with LoR, because the volume of new missions surpasses both DR and AoY. Since TOS characters only get 6 unique missions, I was expecting there to be at least 10 cross faction missions, but nope just 5. I'm not sure where I'd put it in relation to DR overall, but AoY is definitely the most disappointing expansion IMHO.
Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
eaY7Xxu.png

Which expansion do you think was STOs best? 99 votes

Legacy of Romulus
76%
nightkencoldnapalmsle1989darkenvioussarreousdaboholicaries73321r5e4w3q2reyan01hyplkjwashingtonkitsunesnoutnadiezjaswamariansheldonlcoopercoltonlandonwhere2r1dlmc85kodachikunocaptainpugwash1 76 votes
Delta Rising
4%
mustrumridcully0sharpie65scarlinglordgyor 4 votes
Agents of Yesterday
12%
tls1970justjoe12345123duncanidaho11garaks31jasecurtisrepetitiveepicpwstolemynamejbmonroepeterconnorfirstsnoggymack22redeyedravencodyfl 12 votes
All equally good
3%
artan42lighte007codyfl 3 votes
All equally disappointing
3%
jarfarusychosis99leceter 3 votes
Don't care
1%
maina 1 vote

Comments

• sharpie65sharpie65 Member Posts: 679 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    Delta Rising
    For the moment, I don't think it's particularly fair to include AoY in that poll. It being the newest expansion, we can't really say too much about it until the next season comes along.

As to why I think DR was the best, it came with a ton of new content - granted, there were people who complained that you couldn't burn through it like a serial on Netflix, but it meant those people were playing for longer than a couple of days before going back into hibernation. I had the misfortune of playing it through before the levelling was revised..it's a lot better now than it was on release.
    MXeSfqV.jpg
  • kekvinkekvin Member Posts: 633 Arc User
    Legacy of Romulus
    LOR mainly due the story content. But AOY is pretty close up there.
  • farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    Legacy of Romulus
    I went with LOR as it told a really great story. And it really captivate you as you did it. A lot of missions to do and you didn't have to do the full story arcs. DR would be my 2nd choice. I like how they did that story as well. The side missions was really nice as it help progress the story. And to "allow" time for more development on the main story. To make it look like they was looking into it. At least from the RP perspective. Lots of good missions as well. Lastly I would put AOY. It is supposed to be a Temporal Agent Recruit, but with the "New Faction" label. So in turn that mislead the player base. However I went from keeping the character to Lv10, to now leveling it up to around Lv50. In hopes they come out with a T6 Connie/Connie Refit. So they will be ready.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    Agents of Yesterday
    I went with the one that I spent money on for the pack.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    Legacy of Romulus
    I went with the one that I spent money on for the pack.

First one I've purchased the pack for too, but it doesn't change how disappointing I find the content. Even the pack is disappointing since the 31st century ships only have one material they can use.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • gradiigradii Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    Legacy of Romulus
    LOR still wins.

"He shall be my finest warrior, this generic man who was forced upon me.
    Like a badass I shall make him look, and in the furnace of war I shall forge him.
    he shall be of iron will and steely sinew.
    In great armour I shall clad him and with the mightiest weapons he shall be armed.
    He will be untouched by plague or disease; no sickness shall blight him.
    He shall have such tactics, strategies and machines that no foe will best him in battle.
    He is my answer to cryptic logic, he is the Defender of my Romulan Crew.
    He is Tovan Khev... and he shall know no fear."
  • delerouxdeleroux Member Posts: 478 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    Legacy of Romulus
    The bar is set pretty low, so LoR takes it quite easily. And it's not even close.
  • nadiezjanadiezja Member Posts: 629 Arc User
    Legacy of Romulus
    Romulus. I liked Delta Rising and enjoy Agents, but seriously. Romulus.
  • sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    Legacy of Romulus
    no need to ask, lol
  • lordgyorlordgyor Member Posts: 2,820 Arc User
    Delta Rising
    Romulus. Heck I only briefly dabble in the Romulan story line, but it was interesting.

But I really loved the Klingon story line.

So far this season I really like the 31st century ships, even if I have no idea how we got them plot wise.

Still most of my favourite stuff was seasonal, not expansion made, like the Dyson Sphere content, the Dominion Arc, the The Mirror universe missions, those ques were you defend your Fleet Star Base.
  • aedelric10aedelric10 Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    Legacy of Romulus
    LoR hands down the best, but AoY is very good, just not enough TOS missions.

They need to capture that LoR magic again, they should bite the bullet remake DS9 and get started on a Cardiassian faction for the next expansion. I really do not understand why they have been avoiding it for so many years.
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    Agents of Yesterday
    I like AOY best. There's not as much stuff but it does a lot more (probably because it's not just trying to pad out the run time, as were quite a few LoR missions [see. the re-purposed PVE's] and the DR patrol requirements.) The missions feel punchy, memorable, fun, and they did a lot to move the universe around. Characters were good, settings well chosen (ex. where else we went in Vorgon Conclusions), and I'm really looking forward to what they'll do next (which is rare for games these days, there seems to be creative depth at work).

I think continued involvement with the season leans very heavily on the Temporal Recruit system, but how that works very nicely compliments the TOS character. Here's someone with a very place in the galaxy and FED history, and to see the whole of STO from their point of view (otherwise, no rewards) is quite something.

Definitely, if we had an expansion more like LoR (more missions, but a hell of a lot more fluff) I wouldn't be enjoying things as much as I am. AOY is fantastic for where the game is now.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • dragnridrdragnridr Member Posts: 671 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    Legacy of Romulus
    As much as LoR was only half a faction, It was a great example of how factions are done. Granted, it could have had the rest of it completed, like the level 10-60 missions actually been created, as well as more KDF and Rommie ships. But it also included the missing KDF stuff.

Delta was just a big mess from the start and AoY is just a glorified tutorial and excuse to replay old missions again with no KDF or Rommie support.

But according to the devs, creating 3 full factions worth of story arcs and 3 versions of each ship for each faction is just too much work. So we can expect nothing but Fed stuff from here on out. Devs really didn't want KDF and Rommies anyway so they are now getting their wish.
  • jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    Legacy of Romulus
    AoY is still young and needs time to stretch its legs - not a single expansion or season release has ever been all at once, remember. A season/expansion lasts as long as until the next one drops, and can only be judged fairly and accurately once it's run is over. So comparing it at this stage is comparing it without all the information we need.

Having said that, LoR was hands down the best expansion. Love or hate the implementation, it gave us one of the most requesting things in STO's history - playable Romulans, with their own full set of leveling ships, a nice lineup of new missions, and something oft forgotten; expanded Klingon content, filling out some of its gaps as well. It was the last hurrah those factions would get, too, as ever since they've been nursing the teats of the Federation's vastly greater player popularity and barely subsisting, getting no real help from Cryptic.

So far AoY is the clear runner up. What it lacks in quantity even compared to DR it makes up for in quality. It'll never topple LoR, but the hierarchy is virtually non-debatable.
    Agents of Yesterday
    dragnridr wrote: »
    As much as LoR was only half a faction, It was a great example of how factions are done.

6 years of Forum experience has led me to believe that the only example of how a faction is done right in this game is the Federation faction.

Everything else falls short and there's thousands and thousands of threads stating the myriad ways the Klingons, Romulans and now Temp-Feds all fall short.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    Delta Rising
    I think Delta Rising. I wasn't a big fan of VOY (still not), but it had a neat plot. BUt more importantly was all the new stuff it brought to the game. Tier 6 ships were of course mostly something for Cryptic to make money, but they weren't lazy when they did create their Tier 6 retrofits. A lot of good designs there, with a new level of quality we haven't seen before.
    Specializations updated stale endgame considerably, with new things to learn, and most importantly perhaps new powers to use. And it lead to the Iconian War, which finally concluded a major story arc.

LOR was undoubtedly a great expansion, too - the Romulan story is probably the best written story in STO yet. I can totally understand why some see it as the best.

TOS has a fascinating amount of attention to detail, in replicating the TOS aesthetics, not just visually, but also the sounds. Playing a TOS character might still mean in the end playing a Fed character going through mostly the same missions - but hose new sound effects for the UI will stay for you forever.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    Legacy of Romulus
    I had to give it to LoR, because of the sheer volume of content and the quality of writing. We not only got a Romulan fraction, we got KDF as a FULL faction finally, and the writing quality in the episodes was higher in that expansion than anything since. I say that, despite absolutely hating what they did to Romulans and the Star Empire.

Thus far tho, there is almost as much I love about AoY as I did LoR, hell I even bought the $130 pack for this, which I didn't do for LoR sadly, to show the devs I thought this was a really great idea. Aside from not being able to turn off the migraine inducing film grain, and some complaints about TOS gear/BOFF skills. AoY is a really great expansion imo.
  • kjwashingtonkjwashington Member Posts: 2,529 Arc User
    Legacy of Romulus
    You guys are all wrong!!!! Delta Rising was the best expansion EVAR and the players LOVED it!!!!!!
    FaW%20meme_zpsbkzfjonz.jpg
    Support 90 degree arc limitation on BFaW! Save our ships from looking like flying disco balls of dumb!
    Agents of Yesterday
    You guys are all wrong!!!! Delta Rising was the best expansion EVAR and the players LOVED it!!!!!!

Burning Crusade was pretty good though too.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • redeyedravenredeyedraven Member Posts: 1,297 Arc User
    Agents of Yesterday
    For STO-Standards, AoY takes the cake. It's basically an expansion to the only "complete faction" the game TRULY offers.

Let's face it, though LoR has very strong content too, all it did was adding playable romulans - that were mostly turned into federation-proxies with Warbirds and singularity-cores...
  • megan2478megan2478 Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    Legacy of Romulus
    AOY was tempting, but it needs more stuffz. And tribbles. :)
  • hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    Legacy of Romulus
    LoR, where Cryptic did it...mostly right. :p
  • sernonserculionsernonserculion Member Posts: 749 Arc User
    Legacy of Romulus
    Voted for the meditation space they gave us. It is nice and quiet, most of the time. As is proper!
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    Legacy of Romulus
    Even though I really like AOY, I voted LoR.

AOY is great, but to me it doesn't really feel like an expansion. It feels more like a recruiting event in the style of the Delta Recruiting event. The content is good, but it's short, and really in the end, it's just an alternate way to start the Federation Story line.

LoR introduced an entirely new playable race/sub faction. AOY, while great, is really just a much cooler tutorial for Fed players.

Delta Rising, I'm just trying to forget.. I hated it all.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • fmgtorres1979fmgtorres1979 Member Posts: 1,327 Arc User
    Legacy of Romulus
    LoR - Romulans - D'Deridex Warbird

I like AoY but it's just too short.
  • fatman592fatman592 Member Posts: 1,207 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    Legacy of Romulus
    LoR by far. PvP was in its last great era, where the barrier to entry was pretty low with great balance between Kirks and Teams. Though Romulans were a fraction, it made sense since the Empire was fractured by the Hobus Nova. Power creep yes, but LoR powercreep seems like child's play now. And we got pretty large map to explore, with some fantastic artistic vision.

DR was a pure grindfest coupled with a strong cash grab - but at least we got access to the Delta Quadrant.

AoY has a pitiful amount of content built purely to fleece TOS fans who will log in for the event only. Good for the Devs, I'm sure we'll hear AoY was the most successful yet. Successful in making them money, sure, but in terms of fun, meh.

LoR was fun, it was the only one that was. Anyone voting otherwise is either blinded by nostalgia or is deeply invested in feeling pain (can't believe it censors that word lol).
    Agents of Yesterday
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • janus1975janus1975 Member Posts: 739 Arc User
    Legacy of Romulus
    Legacy of Romulus of course for the reasons others already mentioned. The reason I think it's fair to include Agents of Yesterday in the poll is because it sold a whole raft of TOS-era ships yet only included enough missions for those to be used in the first tier, plus, the TOS-era ships don't really fit into the 2410 universe (while LoR's Romulan-specific missions ran out early too, it still made sense to include Romulan ships for Romulans).

Imagine the promotion mission pep talk from Quinn "Yes, you're in the 24th century now but heck, you got planted here from 200 years ago so here you go, a literal museum piece to defend the galaxy with that'd make the Miranda look futuristic by comparison... try not to get killed, toodles!"
  • fatman592fatman592 Member Posts: 1,207 Arc User
    Legacy of Romulus

I'm referring to the temporal recruit event going on now. That's about how long it would take someone playing casually to reach 60. Though I'm sure most won't max out their characters.