test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Feeling a little disappointing in this expansion.

2»

Comments

• qziqzaqziqza Member Posts: 1,044 Arc User
    im not sure what is worse.. the lack content available for an apparent expansion, or the lacklustre quality of something that it is meant to be celebrating the 50th anniversary?!

this seems to be a very poor offering indeed, it comes nowhere close to LoR or Delta, and try as i might, aside from some pretty TOS era ship art, there really is little to find worthy of great praise for what should be an epic expansion.

if the intention was to attract new players.. what exactly are they offering that is more appealing than what we already had? and if the intention was to appeal to us older players and vets, are we held in that low esteem, that they really couldn't be arsed to provide us with something better than this half baked, cut and paste copy of delta recruits, with an alternative fed tutorial that limits starting options instead of expanding them?​​
    tYld1gu.gif?1
    TOS style icons used with the kind permission of irvinis.deviantart.com ©2013-2015
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    warr182 wrote: »
    You guys going to fix it so i can put my Wells and Mobius consoles on the new times ships ???? I feel very let down you guys did launch with all time consoles being able to interchangable ,13000 zen is alot for new time ships and throwing away my other old time ships and consoles for them is alot to ask ,,,, I want the upgrade to new teir 6 time without lossing my old consoles and lobie chrno set . It's not to much to expect ,They are all time ships..And fan boy quit takeing trolling if we never tell them whats wrong they wont fix it

That's not something they are going to "fix", it says in the patch notes that it is by design.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • ken0359ken0359 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    Feeling a little disappointed with the expansion. I'am ok with the missions in 25th Century, but killing the player off in the 23rd Century only to come back in the 25th century? I would of left it and build missions around the 23rd century which would have been more enjoyable and different.
  • wargamer01wargamer01 Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    ken0359 wrote: »
    Feeling a little disappointed with the expansion. I'am ok with the missions in 25th Century, but killing the player off in the 23rd Century only to come back in the 25th century? I would of left it and build missions around the 23rd century which would have been more enjoyable and different.

^THis
  • macfellymacfelly Member Posts: 102 Arc User
    Basically they just renamed delta recruit, when you finish the 23rd century stuff the voice over literally says "You are now a delta recruit". The missions are "hey remember this episode? now you are in it, and we're just going to use wav files we found on some star trek site for the characters. Poor Walter, I don't know if its age or what but his heart was definitely not in it when he was reading his lines.
    Apparently not loyal enough :|
    -New mini-faction
    -New tutorial
    -New specialization
    -New reputation
    -New recruitment event
    -2 new queues
    -10 new story missions
    -A slew of new ships

Better then Delta Rising

Right now I'd say it's about even with DR, and LoR is top dog by a wide margin. 5-10 more missions, even if half of those were DR style patrols, and I'd be hailing AoY as the best update since launch day. Instead they decided to take the huge potential they had and only do the bare minimum.
    eaY7Xxu.png
    Right now I'd say it's about even with DR, and LoR is top dog by a wide margin. 5-10 more missions, even if half of those were DR style patrols, and I'd be hailing AoY as the best update since launch day. Instead they decided to take the huge potential they had and only do the bare minimum.
    The bare minimum would be having you go to 2409 right after the new tutorial.

The fact that they even bothered to make a small arc of ToS era missions, when ToS is probably the second hardest show to make missions for, besides ENT, due to the fact ToS was actually quite good at closing all of its narratives, except for like 5-6 episodes, and takes so far in the past that what little was left open would have logically closed long before the events of STO began, not to mention the fact that, in canon, everyone but Scotty is dead, actually shows a fair bit of creativity on Cryptic's part.

ENT having similar problems is likely why they decided to make AoY both ToS and ENT focused, time travel is basically the only way to make either show relevant and possible in the current STO time frame.

They could have just, you know, made a couple mosaics that were not follow-ups, like an Orion raid on some outpost or something. Or they could have just made some DR style patrol missions were you fight off some Klinks, Orions, Romulans, whatever.

As for cross-faction content, they could have had the Nakhul try to interfere with the Romulan War, the Dominion War, Wolf 359, the events of Undiscovered Country, or something from Voyager. I haven't played the cross-faction missions yet, waiting for the bonus xp to level my TOS and want to experience it with him first, but from what i've heard they completely missed all the extra opportunities they had with this to show things they otherwise can't.

I'm working on a TOS foundry mission right now that follows up on an episode of Enterprise, but after that I'm considering making a couple basic patrol missions or something for people that want to feel more like a TOS captain. I gotta say it's funny I care so much though since TOS is my least favorite Trek, lol.
    eaY7Xxu.png
    They could have just, you know, made a couple mosaics that were not follow-ups, like an Orion raid on some outpost or something. Or they could have just made some DR style patrol missions were you fight off some Klinks, Orions, Romulans, whatever.

As for cross-faction content, they could have had the Nakhul try to interfere with the Romulan War, the Dominion War, Wolf 359, the events of Undiscovered Country, or something from Voyager. I haven't played the cross-faction missions yet, waiting for the bonus xp to level my TOS and want to experience it with him first, but from what i've heard they completely missed all the extra opportunities they had with this to show things they otherwise can't.

I'm working on a TOS foundry mission right now that follows up on an episode of Enterprise, but after that I'm considering making a couple basic patrol missions or something for people that want to feel more like a TOS captain. I gotta say it's funny I care so much though since TOS is my least favorite Trek, lol.
    If they did that you would just be here complaining about how half the ToS content is nothing but patrol missions like people did for Delta Rising.

-The Dominion War, specifically the Breen's raid on Starfleet HQ, is featured in one of the missions.
    -Wolf 359 is part of State of Q, which we know is getting revamped at some point in the future.
    -The Romulan war has near zero information on it besides one battle, and the fact we flung nukes at the Roms from across the border.... theres nothing in lore to make a mission out of.
    All the suggestions you make are either in-game, coming back to the game, or make no sense.

I actually loved the patrol missions in DR and wish they'd make more of them for each season, the Iconian War in particular would have felt more like an actual war if they'd had some.

Forgot about Wolf 359 in state of q, was just throwing big events out there, but part of what makes the romulan war a big opportunity is that it WASN'T seen, so they could have done whatever they wanted, and since its a major event it would make sense for it to be a target for temporal interference. Another TNG era idea could be the Cardassian war that ended before the Cardassians were introduced.

Not everything has to be a direct follow-up to an episode.
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • delerouxdeleroux Member Posts: 478 Arc User
    Only a little? You're being generous.
  • warr182warr182 Member Posts: 49 Arc User
    Tell you guys what ...Fix it so my old consoles from my Wells and Mobius can go on the new temporal ships so i can upgrade to teir 6 without throwing away my old gear i spent money on... And i'll buy the 13000 zen temporal pack . I was going to buy that pack tell i noticed you cant put my old temporal consoles on the new temporal ships ,Have to say real let down.... So untill you change it , Ill will cost you my money , Thats if you guys still care .
  • nightkennightken Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    Tell you guys what ...Fix it so my old consoles from my Wells and Mobius can go on the new temporal ships so i can upgrade to teir 6 without throwing away my old gear i spent money on... And i'll buy the 13000 zen temporal pack . I was going to buy that pack tell i noticed you cant put my old temporal consoles on the new temporal ships ,Have to say real let down.... So untill you change it , Ill will cost you my money , Thats if you guys still care .

I hate to tell ya, but they never cared.

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.
  • jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User

Lets make this clear

1) Though your not buying, there is thousands of gullible players clamoring for it , and tossing their money to get the shinies

2) Why would they change something that is selling

3) Cryptic doesnt give a rats behind

It may not be what you want to hear , but its the truth of the matter
    I respect your honest insiteful feed back and i hope . They still care about their player base im still playing from game launch .I hope the temporal consoles not working on the new temporal ship is a stupid oversite . Would really feel back stabbed to know all lock box ships and gear will have a throw away date .Think thats a good reason to stop buying keys. But i wont buy 13000zen temporal pack tell they change it,They are all temporal ship s . We buy gear to use it not to throw away when next box comes .So please fix it. And then ill buy the pack if not well ,you wont get my money ,Have all the other ships i can use ... Prove you still care about your player base .
  • genemorphgenemorph Member Posts: 404 Arc User
    This expansion is about how to make as much money as possible while adding as little content as possible. So most of the expansion is make a new character to get new items + perks by playing through the same old storyline that has been there forever. But the worst thing is if you have the stomach for it you have to regrind almost everything again: all specs, all reputation, all admiralty, all equipment etc. I just don't find that to be fun. I would be more tolerable if spec, rep, admiralty and equipment were account bound (with an easy way to transfer between your characters). As it stands now the most of the content is only really interesting to new players who have never played the whole storyline before.
  • talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    I agree they could of done atleast a good 10 more episodes. Hell they could of done a TMP arc where we get to LTCMDR and we have to use the tier 2 Connie or the tier 2 TOS ship. Then if we managed to hit Commander while doing that arc, we could of just been given the tier 3 Ambassador early instead of at "Temporal Ambassador".

Could of easily knocked out 10-20 more episodes. But alas they did not. Cause I would of had us drop into the timeline sometime AFTER the Nimbus III TRIBBLE arc. Maybe even after the Romulan arc.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • mmps1mmps1 Member Posts: 381 Arc User
    Grind for the grind gods, dil for the dil throne. Same as any other day really.
    "Mr talks down to the peasants."
  • redvengeredvenge Member Posts: 1,425 Arc User
    I respect your honest insiteful feed back and i hope . They still care about their player base im still playing from game launch .I hope the temporal consoles not working on the new temporal ship is a stupid oversite . Would really feel back stabbed to know all lock box ships and gear will have a throw away date ...
    I feel you are being overly melodramatic here. All ships will eventually become obsolete. It's how Cryptic makes money. Selling us better-er ships.

The Paradox and the Annorax are perfectly fine T-6 ships that can equip all the Temporal Shenanigan's sets. When they introduce T-7 ships, you can bet there will be T-7 timeships that will pop out of lockboxes and reward packs (because time stuff sells).
    Ihave paradox and dont use it was looking forword to next temporal sci ship and the temporal raider . I like the sci dps side of it , And my main ship for my tas is the Wells flys like a dream and with a strong feedback can clear out kerrat , So them not letting me carrie over my consoles in BS,there are all time ships...So before you saying im makeing to much over a ant hill , think about your work on your fav ship ,than the possaible of upgradeing it with all your gear on a new ship,,,,,,Then sorry you cant ..why ,,who cares .. buy our new stuff quick ,before its out dated ,so you can buy next ,,,