test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Has STO jumped the shark?

Comments

• hyefatherhyefather Member Posts: 1,286 Arc User
    farmallm wrote: »
    They added the JJ stuff for that group of fans. I don't like JJ stuff, but you need something for all fans. So far the AOY tutorial has been really good! Been a while since I had this much fun.

Maybe not the JJ stuff but that New Romulan Carrier is OP. That is a good design.

• iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    STO has jumped the shark several times now, by my reckoning. Every time Cryptic somehow manages to jump the shark even more than they did the last time they jumped the shark.

Yet here we are, still going strong.

It's almost as if people don't know what they're talking about.​​
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • hippiejonhippiejon Member Posts: 1,581 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    I did... and you just breezed over it. But if you want more:

Raising quality and lowering prices to match said quality would make more money. (initial point)

And yet their target audience continues to buy the many quality items they do put out. And once again I ask you ... WHY should they lower their prices when the intended market clearly supports the current pricing scheme ?

Selling things directly, rather than in lock boxes, would make more money because more people would buy what they wanted, rather than just having the few people with disposable income spending more than average players for so many keys.

If you really believe that direct sales through the C-Store and having everything be account unlocks (as all C-Store items are) will magically make them more money then the lockbox model, you are truly deluding yourself.
    Fixing many (MANY) of the issues plaguing this game (bug wise) would allow people to return, or add word of mouth value. Games that focus on keeping the game proper make more money than games who only keep things running at all.

So you are saying that they never fix any bugs. Shall I link every single post of patch notes for the last 6 months? a year ?
    Bugs get worked on, and often fixed. Just because your personal pet peeve bug hasn't made the top of the list yet doesn't mean that they are not fixing bugs on a regular basis.
    Cross platform play would allow new players and old players to intermingle, making the game seem more lively as the new players funnel in from consoles. Currently though, to be honest, I'm not sure if this will be a thing in game or not, but a larger populace from crossplay makes the game seem alive rather than emptier servers looking dead from so few players. Dead games usually make less money.

It has been explained by the Devs in multiple areas now that Cross Platform play is not happening and why. It takes many extra weeks to get approval and vetting by console providers. What we are seeing in the game now, will not be on consoles for weeks.
    It is not possible to be running the game at different code branches on different platforms. When you solve that problem, get back to us.
    Return to focus on customization. Being able to customize your ship and character are a huge plus in this game. I really feel that they should return to this, adding more options and items to the zen store. Costumes and weapon skins would be nice, ship visuals would be fun, since they're not adding those to as many things any more (romulan navy set, I'm looking at you...). New races would be bigger if the game were nicer. Personally, I'm playing my guy like an Augment, so having the ability to make that his actual race would be nice. Less restrictions in the tailor would make sets more valuable, things like that. I'll even go a step further and add:

This argument comes to , Waaaaaaa the race I want to play isn't available as a Player Race. Because of that I will ignore the incredible amount of customization already in the game and whine about the fact that there is none. Claiming the tailor has poor customization. ? Again deluding yourself
    More to do in your ship. Ships would be way easier of a decision to buy if there were more ship to them. Customizable interiors, more interaction and reason to enter your ship, visual reflections inside your ship that match the outside (Borg, Aegis, Maco, etc). The more valuable the ship is, the more people will buy it. Don't just reskin a ship, toss in a different console modifier and call it a day. Yes, Bridges can be nice, but I want a ship. The ships in star trek are characters all to themselves in most cases. People want that, and would be willing to pay for that experience... you know... a star trek experience.

Do you know why Bottle shows were done? It's called budget. They didn't have huge budgets in the TV Shows, and often those budgets would be "saved" for the big WOW moments. Bottle shows on ships were done to save money. STO being a videogame can play with amazing effects and enviroments, so they .... shocking ... do.
    Customizable interiors are a great idea, let us know when you solve the problem then of how to have a mission (like you seem to want) set aboard a ship. You contradict yourself. Your very idea of customizing and making the interior cool makes the idea of having missions aboard a ship impossible. Logic much ?
    Put out a kickstarter-esque feature detailing specifically what the money goes to. Make it a poll, so people could literally Vote with their wallets. This serves two functions: show the devs what people want and directly fund said feature. When a feature is fully funded, it's removed from the list and developed, leaving other features on the list to keep earning money.

Because of course, the fan base of the game will magically agree on things. Also , gosh didn't the new Federation carrier recently get made exactly the way you propose? Community voted on it, and it was created and put into the C-Store (Gasp not a Lockbox , but don't they put everything in lockboxes? At least according to you.)
    Depending on the community to drive development priorities is the worst idea I have ever heard.
    Balance the %#$@^!$!#^ game. Pay to win is a thing here. The more you pay, the better builds you can get. Most of the top builds are using parts and traits and consoles from lockboxes and such. Balancing the game better would keep people from leaving because they can't keep up at times. People don't want to pay for a game they can't keep up in. They leave, so unless the consoles are going cross play, why bother? Keeping things more balanced and uniform would keep people from leaving and encourage spending simply because less people are leaving the game.

Pay to win ? What exactly are people "winning" ? All the episodes are playable and impossible to lose. Completely competitive builds are being used right now using nothing but what anyone can get without spending a penny. If you are having trouble with that there are great resources to find "budget builds". Just because you (apparently) are not willing to go look for them, isn't Cryptic's problem. That's you just being lazy and wanting things handed to you.
    Quit charging us for the same thing we already bought. I bought the Caitians, but when Cryptic asked that I buy them again for the KDF side, I just laughed and said no. Ships are the same. I wouldn't pay $30 real money for a single ship. I wouldn't pay $30 for three slightly different versions of that same ship, but it would be more tempting. I certainly wouldn't pay that three times over for the same ship on all three factions. If buying a ship gave me the variants for the factions, It would be a way more worthwhile buy. Charging people up to 9 times for a single ship is a jerk move. Charging a little more for a single ship with three variants across all factions? Great move. The bundles are okay, but still too costly for how little people actually use out of it.

Just because YOU wouldn't pay for it, as many wouldn't (myself included) doesn't mean that there are not a large number of players who will. Again, WHY should they forgo revenue streams that make them a great deal of profit? (You know, that thing businesses are supposed to do)
    Quit selling updated versions of the ship I just bought. Knowing that a ship will be outdated, nerfed, or have the fleet version or T+ versions, which will also get the fleet version, really just makes me not want to buy ships at all. Period. Why buy what becomes less valuable a short time later?

Again, this is a "waaaa I can't afford it" argument. "Just makes ME not want to buy ships at all." So what? Obviously, there are a large number of people who do want to buy the updates and upgrades, or they wouldn't still be doing it. You are again advocating that they not make money they are capable of making because the intended market obviously supports it.
    Make subscribing worth while. So far... it doesn't really seem like it is. Maybe $15 in the C-store, and you can buy all of the gold member benefits, in terms of storage and cash limits and such, so why pay $15 a month?

Oh I don't know. Being in the top of the queue line when there is a wait is a damned nice benefit in my book. The veteran rewards gained through either time subscribing or buying the Lifetime are actually really nice. And there is the whole helping to support the game that lets me have lots of fun playing in the Star Trek Universe thing.
    More weapon types. Plenty of people would pay for more weapon types. D'k tahgs would almost be a must for KDF players, more so, if you were buying combat styles rather than just a weapon skin. Concept art showed some great designs for a grenade launcher. Keep the prices low and the weapons unique enough and people would buy that. Not every one, but enough.

What's "enough"? You use the D'ktahg as your example. Look, I love my KDF characters, but I am more than willing to admit that the amount of people who play KDF is a VERY small percentage of the player base. Why should they devote development and man hours to something that will never be "enough" to even pay for the time invested? That's just bad business, and a really dumb idea for a business with the job of making money.
    These are just a few suggestions, out of the many that people have listed on the forums. The Best thing about the Star Trek IP is that people LOVE it. People already love things Star Trek, so they will buy things and pay money for things Star Trek related. It doesn't take much to do that, so why people feel the need to do it in ways that don't generate faith among the fans, or that just alienate them, really don't make much sense.

Just because a very vocal minority on the forums feels "alienated" or having lost "faith" doesn't mean that the majority of the player base feels that way. There seem to be a large number of fans who don't feel that way. You feel alienated and have lost faith. You however , do not speak for the majority.
    I understand that PWE wants more money for less cost. That's how business works unfortunately. Cutting quality and player base is a bad way to do that. Cheap cash grabs are no match for content so good you have to get it. Nickle and dime tactics really negate the feel of Star Trek. Yes, you can grind for things, but with all of the issues listed and the multitude unlisted, what's the point? This game has already taken such a departure from Star Trek that it really just loses any respectability. As a Star Fleet captain (or Admiral), I really shouldn't have genocide, resource hording, or out right murder on my list of things I frequently do. Maybe Cryptic should re-evaluate the game and it's business model a bit to make up for the faults of the game?

Again. Your opinion. If the majority actually felt the same way, you can be damned sure that Cryptic would be adjusting things.
    Moving the game to consoles is a great move, but really, how many people on console are going to pay $30 for a single ship? How many people on console are going to pay that multiple times?

Probably a whole lot more than you think. But , please tell us how you have predicted the future? You might be right, the console port of the game might be a colossal failure. Then again, it might be a roaring success. Guess we will just have to wait and see what the reality is, and (at least smart people) not give your future telling abilities any real credit. We live in reality, not in totally baseless predictions of what might happen.
    This is the kind of thing people expect from bad mobile games, not Big IP licensed MMOs, yet just look at poor STO and even SWTOR. Their really just hurting themselves as much as the fans.

Really ? I don't feel hurt. Anyone else here feel hurt ? You seem to state your OPINION as if it were fact.
    Great thing about opinions is that we are all entitled to have them.

But the fact I see is that your ideas would have the company bleeding money, and we would never have actually seen expansion #3, let alone the 6th anniversary of the game. 3 expansions and (according to interviews) 2 more in the planning stages. 6 years of the game , with no real end in sight (despite what the doomsayers might have us believe).

Truly sorry that you don't enjoy what many of us see as a good , sometimes excellent Star Trek game. One I can play with my friends and meet other people who love Star Trek through. But , the idea of them catering to a vocal minority of complainers and doomsayers simply makes no sense to me at all.

But Thank you for outlining some of your ideas. My favorite really is the myth that somehow C-Store sales would make more than the lockbox system. That really gave me a good laugh.

• zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Member Posts: 14,762 Arc User
    I, for one, welcome our shark overlords.
    tdy_or_shark_150723.today-inline-vid-featured-desktop.jpg

f5cc65bc8f3b91f963e328314df7c48d.jpg
    Sig? What sig? I don't see any sig.
  • jabofneurospinejabofneurospine Member Posts: 61 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    As much as I'd like to say no... There are in fact dinosaurs with face mounted laser cannons in the game. (technically antiproton beams) So yes, probably. But it isn't a recent occurrence.

Edit: Still fun though, so does it really matter? There's plenty of absurd things in star trek, I've always felt it added to the charm.
    Post edited by jabofneurospine on
  • grazyc2#7847 grazyc2 Member Posts: 1,988 Arc User
    If so, when?

For me personally, I think this game had done it a long time ago, leaving me resolved to never give Cryptic any money ever again, though CO and NWO also played into that decision. Between lockboxes, the T6 and T6 Fleet ships, the drop in customization of characters/ships, and a few other things, I felt this happened before the Romulan "Expansion", but this new content just seems like a new low. Surprisingly, the VO from the show is really unsettling for me, but it just seems like the game has dropped even further. The quality (for me personally) just seems to be rather poor for the new ground missions at least. It's Not just me, is it?

I'm curious to hear other people's Moment of shark jumping stories, as well as finding out why people still think it has yet to do so.

We playing a very poor game thanks to you, you that gives no money you that decide the game is bad so thanks for that now we have a poor game ... LOLZZZ But be serious yeah it's a bit cheap I thought to have better VO. Game play is so so, it has not the wow factor. and where is the bank the exchange and all that stuff. I think they released it because they needed the money or something like that.. The least they could do is a captain Kirk in action.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Coffee: the finest organic suspension ever devised. It's got me through the worst of the last three years. I beat the Borg with it."
  • kurumimorishitakurumimorishita Member Posts: 1,410 Arc User
    STO sharks are canon.
    meV1IPB.jpg
    "We might get pretty singed at that range, but not as singed as they're going to get. Engage."
    - Captain Six of Nine aka Ashley "Don't Call Me Ash" Campbell
    q4F10XV.jpg
    ALWAYS OUTNUMBERED, NEVER OUTGUNNED
  • burstorionburstorion Member Posts: 1,750 Arc User
    I, for one, welcome our shark overlords.
    tdy_or_shark_150723.today-inline-vid-featured-desktop.jpg

I watched that movie once....best waste of a saturday night ever (besides trolling JJ Trek haters by telling them aoy was going to make normal starfleet become JJ starfleet due to dimensional merging by the na'khul/krenim/tholian alliance to explain why sto is so combat orientated and mocking up 'evidence' for it XD)

For sto, its more like jumping the cannibal tribble :p
  • thelordofshadesthelordofshades Member Posts: 258 Arc User
    Selling things directly, rather than in lock boxes, would make more money because more people would buy what they wanted, rather than just having the few people with disposable income spending more than average players for so many keys.
    It's a niche f2p MMO with a limited playerbase. I very much doubt that they have peak daily online above 10-20k on average and a number of unique user logins per month above 200-300k (including those, who log in less 5 times per month).
    A majority of this narrow target audience or either not paying at all or paying less than 5$ per month (your average consumer wastes more on alcohol/cigarettes/cinema and other so called "real life" (tm) entertainments). (Thus transferring to p2p model about which some like to whine would kill it almost instantly).
    In such conditions the lack of incentive for considerable expenses will seriously diminish the game's cash flow. And the limited offer of desirable items through lockboxes and lobi store is exactly the thing, which provides such incentive.

• snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    No, there is no t6 TOS connie, it hasn't jumped the shark.

There is a T6 Daedalus running around. And hot damn it's sexy, powerful and chock full of Borg Cube killing goodness!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • reiklingraiderreiklingraider Member Posts: 209 Arc User
    jaguarskx wrote: »
    There's sharks in space?

Of course there is. I named my new Vorgon ship the U.S.S. Mud Shark. :p

There's sharks in space?

UvRecahm.jpg

Candygram... landshark...​​
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • alcyoneserenealcyoneserene Member Posts: 2,412 Arc User
    Unchecked power creep since DR expansion which altered the game drastically and has thrown off the finer balance that existed prior in team play, ship classes, mission difficulty, along with pulling the plug on any hope for open PvP.
    Y945Yzx.jpg
    Devs: Provide the option to Turn OFF full screen flashes from enemy ship explosions
    · ♥ · ◦.¸¸. ◦'¯`·. (Ɏ) V A N U _ S O V E R E I G N T Y (Ɏ) .·´¯'◦.¸¸. ◦ · ♡ ·
    «» \▼/ T E R R A N ¦ R E P U B L I C \▼/ «»
    ﴾﴿ ₪ṩ ||| N A N I T E S Y S T E M S : B L A C K | O P S ||| ₪ṩ ﴾﴿
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    For starters... why do you feel the new ground missions are low quality?

Between the VO from the old shows (covered in another thread), I'm also having a large amount of issues with animations and movement. The new VO is bad, the interiors are still way too big, it seems poorly written at the start, it seems like a lot of things are taking too long to load (my clothes being one) on a system which handles GTAV on ultra with no issue. I just have not been impressed by anything Ground wise, minus maybe, the ship wreck on the first mission. Though that was not impressed, but more of an "oh, cool" moment.

I can't see where you're coming from at all.

Old VO is a very small price to pay for getting the (for whatever reason) unavailable cast in the game (ex. DeForest), the new VO is pretty darn good (Chris Doohan did a fine job with Scotty, technically and artistically, and I'd rank Matt Winston's performance in STO above the original Daniels), the animations have taken a step forward from past missions, interior scaling isn't particularly relevant (it's much less pronounced than the original FED interiors and there's a damn good "for gampelay" argument behind it anyway), the writing is MMO top notch (the player character has a strong arc as told through solid individual episodes), the art and detail in the new missions is astounding (specifically look for the detail, that's where this expansion lives), and I don't have a clue about what you mean by problematic clothing load times.

In short, some kind of clarification would be helpful to see where you're coming from.

Whether or not it grabs you is a separate question (I think you need to have some involvement with your character, otherwise you can simplify it as Daniels sending you on disconnected errands across a 70's TV show), but I don't think you can say this stuff wasn't well put together.
    Post edited by duncanidaho11 on
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
    iconians wrote: »
    There's sharks in space?

UvRecahm.jpg

Candygram... landshark...​​

For the uninitiated.

nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/landshark/2832305

iconians wrote: »
    There's sharks in space?

UvRecahm.jpg

Candygram... landshark...

For the uninitiated.

nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/landshark/2832305

... but we are initiated...​​
    ExtxpTp.jpg
    STO sharks are canon.
    meV1IPB.jpg

Glad to see admiralnat's Doomsday Shark is still out there. :p
  • shurkhemolightshurkhemolight Member Posts: 399 Arc User
    If so, when?

For me personally, I think this game had done it a long time ago, leaving me resolved to never give Cryptic any money ever again, though CO and NWO also played into that decision. Between lockboxes, the T6 and T6 Fleet ships, the drop in customization of characters/ships, and a few other things, I felt this happened before the Romulan "Expansion", but this new content just seems like a new low. Surprisingly, the VO from the show is really unsettling for me, but it just seems like the game has dropped even further. The quality (for me personally) just seems to be rather poor for the new ground missions at least. It's Not just me, is it?

I'm curious to hear other people's Moment of shark jumping stories, as well as finding out why people still think it has yet to do so.

Love these posts, since release the wife and i have pumped around 2k in cash into STO.

Since release of the dozens of tickets both of us have submitted "one" has ever been answered, and that was mine stating i had a problem spending cash on Zen, lol, fixed in less than 12 hrs.

You honestly think if we have gotten nothing but stone cold deaf ears for 2k invested that PWE/Cryptic gives a rip about anyone who says they dont or wont spend money on the game?. B)

• kurumimorishitakurumimorishita Member Posts: 1,410 Arc User
    STO sharks are canon.
    meV1IPB.jpg

Glad to see admiralnat's Doomsday Shark is still out there. :p

Hehe.. yup.. it's just too epic to not be shown every once in a while! ;)
    "We might get pretty singed at that range, but not as singed as they're going to get. Engage."
    - Captain Six of Nine aka Ashley "Don't Call Me Ash" Campbell
    q4F10XV.jpg
    ALWAYS OUTNUMBERED, NEVER OUTGUNNED
    Do we have these yet?
    Costume_ZedBrightlander_Shark-bot6_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_463984671.jpg~original
  • orondisorondis Member Posts: 1,447 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    F2P

It saved the game, but in the process it made it something much less. The Borg STF's were gutted and ruined (and removed one of the few times STO story was actually interesting). Skill was replaced by P2W. PvP went on a downward spiral, starting with the changes to tact team and the inclusion of field generators.
    Previously Alendiak
    Daizen - Lvl 60 Tactical - Eclipse
    Selia - Lvl 60 Tactical - Eclipse
    edited July 2016
    orondis wrote: »
    F2P

It saved the game, but in the process it made it something much less. The Borg STF's were gutted and ruined (and removed one of the few times STO story was actually interesting). Skill was replaced by P2W. PvP went on a downward spiral, starting with the changes to tact team and the inclusion of field generators.

Im not calling you out here, but i would truly like to know where the facts are proving the game was on it's deathbed and needed F2P to "save" it.

The "only" reason STO survives today is because it is the "only" trek mmo online worth playing for trek fans, as far as i am concerned that was the case P2P or F2P.

The reason it was changed to F2P imo was to milk the cow, and as a convenient excuse to continue the poor quality of maintenance while doing so.

I do not buy this F2P saved STO.

Gaming in general had a brief heyday period of P2P when games were a lot less buggy and much better maintained.

This F2P model TRIBBLE has been around long enough now that gamers have been "conditioned" to the new quality norm.

F2P model financial models and microsale cash shops put gaming quality in a slow steady decline.

• mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    F2P

Im not calling you out here, but i would truly like to know where the facts are proving the game was on it's deathbed and needed F2P to "save" it.
    I am not sure F2P alone was what saved STO. I think a significant part of that also goes to PWE directly, which invested in the game, not just to buy it from Atari, but also to give it the resources it needed to grow or at least stabilize under F2P.

The game would have stayed with Atari if it had not gone F2P, and I can't see how it could have survived that. Or how Atari would have survived that.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • teknesiateknesia Member Posts: 860 Arc User
    F2P

I am not sure F2P alone was what saved STO. I think a significant part of that also goes to PWE directly, which invested in the game, not just to buy it from Atari, but also to give it the resources it needed to grow or at least stabilize under F2P.

The game would have stayed with Atari if it had not gone F2P, and I can't see how it could have survived that. Or how Atari would have survived that.

Exactly. I don't know why people get all nostalgic for the Atari days aside from the lockbox ships. To put things into context, when Atari was still running the show, we went most of a spring, a full summer, a fall, and half of winter without any new context to speak of. I don't agree with everything that has happened since then and I did like Dstahl as a EP in the sense that he communicated really well(or too well, since people still found a way to cry about that) and really pushed out some of my all time favorite content in the game.
    He also did work on LoR and the Sphere though and both were under PWE and both are amazing and pushed STO further.

As you said, f2p might not've saved it. It's impossible to tell. PWE's investment into the game sure as hell did though.
    edbf9204-c725-4dab-a35a-46626a4cb978.jpg
    edited July 2016
    teknesia wrote: »
    F2P

Exactly. I don't know why people get all nostalgic for the Atari days aside from the lockbox ships. To put things into context, when Atari was still running the show, we went most of a spring, a full summer, a fall, and half of winter without any new context to speak of. I don't agree with everything that has happened since then and I did like Dstahl as a EP in the sense that he communicated really well(or too well, since people still found a way to cry about that) and really pushed out some of my all time favorite content in the game.
    He also did work on LoR and the Sphere though and both were under PWE and both are amazing and pushed STO further.

As you said, f2p might not've saved it. It's impossible to tell. PWE's investment into the game sure as hell did though.

A) I am not nostalgic for the "Atari days", thats an exageration, mmos were better before (in other mmos) and after the Atari days, refering to the console lol , and before the f2p craze.

B) I am not nostalgic for STO to go p2p, that ship has sailed, they dug the hole, they live in it now.

edited July 2016
    F2P

Im not going to debate what ifs with you or tek, people dont provide proof that f2p saved STO, im sure in my opinion that people who say it did are pulling it out of their hats.

Trekkies with "nowhere" else to go saved STO, thats my take on it.

If another trek game competed with STO tomorrow with better quality maint. STO would be history quickly, been that way since it was launched.

This game survives because PWE/Cryptic have a monopoly on the IP in mmo gaming.