test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

~Really only 4 boring species for TOS faction?!?!

123457»

Comments

• tilarium1979tilarium1979 Member Posts: 567 Arc User
    I'd have bought Caitians if I could have made one in AoY.
  • delliboydelliboy Member Posts: 288 Arc User
    Two of my toons will be humans. I already created a science officer and I will be creating a tac shortly and a Vulcan Engineer my humans are going to be twins and will share my last name Garrett and ironically I decided to make them Admiral Garrett's grandchildren
  • kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    No alien species = fail to me. The alien option gives us so much more flexibility.

Seriously, any reason why alien is not an option?!?!?

as was stated many times by the devs, they decided that if it wasn't on TV in the 60s it wasn't TOS enough for the AoY expansion.
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    No alien species = fail to me. The alien option gives us so much more flexibility.

as was stated many times by the devs, they decided that if it wasn't on TV in the 60s it wasn't TOS enough for the AoY expansion.

Like all those Starfleet Tellarites running around on-screen in the 60s.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • nickcastletonnickcastleton Member Posts: 1,212 Arc User

And that is a poor excuse the exp should celebrate the history of star trek not just the original series lack of a big budget is believed to be a reason for lack of aliens in the original series on the enterprise.
    0bzJyzP.gif

"It appears we have lost our sex appeal, captain."- Tuvok
  • nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    nikeix wrote: »
    You don't do a TOS themed expansion to attract movie folks, and believe it or not you don't do it to appease the pent up nostalgia-lust of your existing players. You do it because out there in the big wide world beyond STO there's an anniversary coming up that's reminding millions of people "Oh yeah, I loved that show when I was a kid."

Be clear: NO ONE ON THESE BOARDS IS THE TARGET AUDIENCE.

They've laced it with other goodies to keep us amused, but the core objective here is new player acquisition and all decisions were made in that light. They are specifically positioning themselves to show up at Star Trek Las Vegas and do their little circus act for TOS fans who are not already STO fans... a category that for the most part DOES NOT include fans who know a goddamn thing about the series beyond what they saw on the small screen and who don't give a flying targ's severed buttocks about 14 other races that are canonically part of the Federation at that time. Not the point. Never was. Never will be.

Its a hunt for completely NEW players, and because profession and race are some of the only BINDING AND UNCHANGABLE decisions you make in the entire game, and at the mechanical level they're tied to a whole slew of traits and effects that are totally opaque and mysterious to a new fan you do not overload their decision making process. You don't ever want a new player second guessing themselves and wondering if they botched a critical decision only seconds into play. 4 races is actually a little on the high side - three choices in a blind, binding array is the industry norm for very deeply rooted reasons of human psychology and you can see that fact in how many classes we have in STO - THREE.

Humans and Vulcans were in. There was no third choice that would complete a logical set, but by adding both Andorians and Tellarites... Behold - the 4 founders of the Federation. Write a blog and ship it!

Honest, I can say it again if you'd like.

• angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User

Wow. I suppose it must have been the tails making me think catgirl because I could have sworn they had feline ears and other tidbits like your stock anime neko-chan. Clearly I was misremembering.

For some weird reason a lot of people do. But there's literally nothing feline about them. Nothing. The tails also look more like monkey tails if you're honest.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
    edited July 2016
    So just wanted to put this out there. In addition to the 4 we have, there are ALOT of federation member worlds by 2270. These are just a few samples. Most of them, the date isn't certain as it comes from non-canon sources. The only canon one are the Coridan who joined at the Conference of Babel which we saw in TOS.

Caitian -2181(L)
    Deltan - 2223(L)
    Bolian - mid-23rd century(L)
    Coridan - 2268
    Risian - 2249(L)

The reason I selected those as my sample is because they are all do-able within the game without Cryptic having to do to much work (except the Coridan). As an interesting aside:

Betazoid - 2273(L)

And that was about 10 minutes of research, and as I said, the models are all do-able with very little effort. There was no reason why they should have limited themselves to races seen often in TOS. The show had a small budget which was said to have been the reason why we only saw races that needed little makeup (excluding Tellerites) and also why we never saw the original Enterprise land on a planet's surface or separate it's saucer. Yes, it could actually do both of those but because of budget reasons we never saw it.
  • officerbatman81officerbatman81 Member Posts: 2,761 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    Ive actually been wanting a playable Risian!
    Physically its similar to a human, except different skin tone options, the forehead mark.
    Id be curious about an exclusive Risian trait.

Lets do that one!
    And just did the mission with Babel and so now I stand corrected. All of the races I've listed above, including the Coridan, were all possible for character selection. They could have even put in Coridan, Risian and Deltan as playable and BOff characters. Hell, put them in the C-Store if you must but it's possible to have given them to us. Lazy gits.
  • thevampinatorthevampinator Member Posts: 637 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    They could give tos faction, Aenar, normal fed Aenar and romulan republic faction Aenar.
    Basically Aenar are a subtype of Andorian. You had one working for the romulans in an ent episode which interduced them, and also there is aenar that clearly have been working in starfleet, So both feds, and romulans should get this race.
    Serbian also being added as a republic race. They do have ties with the romulan republic in some ways I think. Which is why this should be given for the republic.
    Basically, its best not to complain about having only four races when the roms need more races. Both should receive more playable races over time.
    Also the aenar could be added as a unlock for fed and rom. In the zen store. They already got the race, but its a bridge officer. They have a lot of them at the starfleet academy. So Yes Aenar needs to be added as playable.

• nickcastletonnickcastleton Member Posts: 1,212 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    They could give tos faction, Aenar, normal fed Aenar and romulan republic faction Aenar.
    Basically Aenar are a subtype of Andorian. You had one working for the romulans in an ent episode which interduced them, and also there is aenar that clearly have been working in starfleet, So both feds, and romulans should get this race.
    Serbian also being added as a republic race. They do have ties with the romulan republic in some ways I think. Which is why this should be given for the republic.
    Basically, its best not to complain about having only four races when the roms need more races. Both should receive more playable races over time.
    Also the aenar could be added as a unlock for fed and rom. In the zen store. They already got the race, but its a bridge officer. They have a lot of them at the starfleet academy. So Yes Aenar needs to be added as playable.

while i agree romulans dont have much races at least you can make an alien which does give you some flexibility AOY is just bad.
    0bzJyzP.gif

"It appears we have lost our sex appeal, captain."- Tuvok
  • jtoon74jtoon74 Member Posts: 409 Arc User
    sleel43 wrote: »
    Qu'elle Suprise. The Founding Members being the only races available shortly after the founding. Will wonders never cease.

It set over 100 years after enterprise you would think there would be a couple more options
  • thevampinatorthevampinator Member Posts: 637 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    jtoon74 wrote: »
    sleel43 wrote: »
    Qu'elle Suprise. The Founding Members being the only races available shortly after the founding. Will wonders never cease.

It set over 100 years after enterprise you would think there would be a couple more options

I can imagine several speices even exotic aliens joining the federation, through out those one hundred years. Well what they gave was the main four. But they should have added the Aenar as playable, not only that but give the romulan faction the abilty to make Aenar, Romulan republic captains. I do want to see them add Aenar as playable, or add the blind eyes option to alien gen.

They could give tos, feds, Klingon not only a spy that betrayed the empire, but one that desided its best to remain with the federation.
    Romulan spy, But end up being forced down the path of remaining with the federation, because of betrayal. They could add in intersting storylines with this. This would make romulans and klingons playable for the tos faction. But the tos faction klingons would still have the augiment virus. But would be able to have the option to cure it later on if they wanted too. Well they could use Jj Trek for insperation. There is several different types of aliens seen in it. These aliens could be federation members. They have options, and there is many things they could do.
  • gradiigradii Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    gradii wrote: »
    jexsamx wrote: »
    You and me both. I rather doubt they'll leave us without a new Lifer species. There's a chance, yes, but it would run counter to established pattern.

What I fear is the implementation. They seem rather set on the Federation Quadrinity, so part of me is thinking a new lifer race may be made but only available for the other three factions. Which would be silly, but somehow rings as not entirely impossible.
    I'm hoping for Violaceans... they're basically purple people and visually distinctive.
    do they have ears? Vezkarians are purple and lack ears. much better.
    Were Vezkarians seen in TOS? I know Violaceans are part of STO already. You meet them at the Babel Conference.

Nah Vezkarians I made up myself.

"He shall be my finest warrior, this generic man who was forced upon me.
    Like a badass I shall make him look, and in the furnace of war I shall forge him.
    he shall be of iron will and steely sinew.
    In great armour I shall clad him and with the mightiest weapons he shall be armed.
    He will be untouched by plague or disease; no sickness shall blight him.
    He shall have such tactics, strategies and machines that no foe will best him in battle.
    He is my answer to cryptic logic, he is the Defender of my Romulan Crew.
    He is Tovan Khev... and he shall know no fear."
  • gradiigradii Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    OK how did these broken forums... nevermind disregard this post.

"He shall be my finest warrior, this generic man who was forced upon me.
    Like a badass I shall make him look, and in the furnace of war I shall forge him.
    he shall be of iron will and steely sinew.
    In great armour I shall clad him and with the mightiest weapons he shall be armed.
    He will be untouched by plague or disease; no sickness shall blight him.
    He shall have such tactics, strategies and machines that no foe will best him in battle.
    He is my answer to cryptic logic, he is the Defender of my Romulan Crew.
    He is Tovan Khev... and he shall know no fear."
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    a

while i agree romulans dont have much races at least you can make an alien which does give you some flexibility AOY is just bad.

All you need is Alien.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Are we still going on about the Aenar? The regular Federation Faction can't make a Captain of them, they are simply a one Character, one-time (purchase) Bridge Officer!!!

As far as the Romulan's using them, the one we saw in Enterprise was being used under duress. Not a great case for use on a normal basis. See above anyway.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
    Why would they add playable species to the Romulan Republic (or the Klingons, sense they were mentioned too) in AoY when it's focused on TOS Federation?