test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Has STO jumped the shark?

If so, when?

For me personally, I think this game had done it a long time ago, leaving me resolved to never give Cryptic any money ever again, though CO and NWO also played into that decision. Between lockboxes, the T6 and T6 Fleet ships, the drop in customization of characters/ships, and a few other things, I felt this happened before the Romulan "Expansion", but this new content just seems like a new low. Surprisingly, the VO from the show is really unsettling for me, but it just seems like the game has dropped even further. The quality (for me personally) just seems to be rather poor for the new ground missions at least. It's Not just me, is it?

I'm curious to hear other people's Moment of shark jumping stories, as well as finding out why people still think it has yet to do so.

Comments

• markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    For starters... why do you feel the new ground missions are low quality?
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    There's sharks in space?
  • lordgyorlordgyor Member Posts: 2,820 Arc User
    Sto doesn't jump the shark, it puts freaking lazer beams on them.
  • officerbatman81officerbatman81 Member Posts: 2,761 Arc User
    Yes it did.

I consider all this JJ Trek introduction a huge money grab. As a business they are compelled to, like moths to a flame.
  • hippiejonhippiejon Member Posts: 1,581 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    Honestly, I think STO has found its footing again after maybe some low points in the past. I couldn't be happier with this expansion.

I think IF they ever jumped the shark it might have been Dinosaurs with Lasers on their heads, but if the new content that dropped today is any indication .... This is a great time to be playing STO.

And A "money grab" @officerbatman81 ??? Tell us , how do you propose that a BUSINESS in the business of making money do that ? Please , tell us your amazing money making plans for the game .... I'd Love to hear them.
  • nickcastletonnickcastleton Member Posts: 1,212 Arc User
    Yes it did.

I consider all this JJ Trek introduction a huge money grab. As a business they are compelled to, like moths to a flame.

this ^^ there oversized overpowered (from what i hear anyway) and are there for nothing but money, its actually put me off playing untill the hype of them dies down.
    0bzJyzP.gif

"It appears we have lost our sex appeal, captain."- Tuvok
  • sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    Don't say sharks too many times, or Geko will want to put fricking laser beams onto their heads!
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• thekodanarmada#7342 thekodanarmada Member Posts: 1,631 Arc User
    lordgyor wrote: »

Sharks are clearly cannon-optimized.
    DInb0Vo.gif[/url][/center]
  • wraithshadow13wraithshadow13 Member Posts: 1,728 Arc User

Between the VO from the old shows (covered in another thread), I'm also having a large amount of issues with animations and movement. The new VO is bad, the interiors are still way too big, it seems poorly written at the start, it seems like a lot of things are taking too long to load (my clothes being one) on a system which handles GTAV on ultra with no issue. I just have not been impressed by anything Ground wise, minus maybe, the ship wreck on the first mission. Though that was not impressed, but more of an "oh, cool" moment.
    jaguarskx wrote: »
    There's sharks in space?

https://www.google.com/search?q=sharknado+space&espv=2&biw=1280&bih=637&tbm=isch&imgil=bpS6UWsBeAnGzM%3A%3B0WoaO7thHupv2M%3Bhttps%253A%252F%252Fwww.youtube.com%252Fwatch%253Fv%25253D5I4Sp35PAj8&source=iu&pf=m&fir=bpS6UWsBeAnGzM%3A%2C0WoaO7thHupv2M%2C_&usg=__6wWk3qp_tOiaIl9tN0Va2cSGWDE=&ved=0ahUKEwjKpfbr-t_NAhVP12MKHc9NCogQyjcIJw&ei=7o99V8r2MM-ujwPPm6nACA#tbm=isch&q=sharks+in+space
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    Do you remember when we got the Jem'Hadar ship? About then.

Happy Days everyone!
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
    I agree on the inclusion of the JJ trek stuff just being for money grabs. There are plenty of better ways to fund a game, and cheap gimmicky cash grabs are not the best way to go. Why alienate the fans of an IP for some money, when you could put out a better product for much more money? That's all they really do anymore, is cheap cash grabs rather than adding things of real substance. For me personally, nothing in the Zen store is worth the asking price, nor worth more than $10 for a single item. If they lowered prices to what things are actually worth, people would be more willing to buy them than spend a month grinding for ships and such. There is a huge difference between 'low quality/high price that few buy' to 'high quality/reasonable price that most people buy'. A lot of people have made great suggestions about better ways for this game to make money, and yet Cryptic stands it's ground with "Minimal effort, maximum pricing".

This is Star Trek. When done properly, people will just hand you money.
  • tousseautousseau Member Posts: 1,484 Arc User
    [quote="sunfrancks;12987373"]Don't say sharks too many times, or Geko will want to put fricking laser beams onto their heads![/quote]

*patching......*

I haven't logged in yet at this time.
  • hippiejonhippiejon Member Posts: 1,581 Arc User
    I agree on the inclusion of the JJ trek stuff just being for money grabs. There are plenty of better ways to fund a game, and cheap gimmicky cash grabs are not the best way to go. Why alienate the fans of an IP for some money, when you could put out a better product for much more money? That's all they really do anymore, is cheap cash grabs rather than adding things of real substance. For me personally, nothing in the Zen store is worth the asking price, nor worth more than $10 for a single item. If they lowered prices to what things are actually worth, people would be more willing to buy them than spend a month grinding for ships and such. There is a huge difference between 'low quality/high price that few buy' to 'high quality/reasonable price that most people buy'. A lot of people have made great suggestions about better ways for this game to make money, and yet Cryptic stands it's ground with "Minimal effort, maximum pricing".

Please elaborate on your ideas of how the company and game can make as much money as it currently does. Also tell us WHY they should lower the price of things when the market obviously supports the current pricing models.

At the present time , we are experiencing EXPANSION #3 and they show no signs of slowing down. Obviously they are making enough money that PWE (the parent company) is willing to allow them to continue doing what they are doing. (and doing well in my opinion). Read that again. Expansion #3.

If your money making ideas do not equal the capability for the game to reach Expansion #3 with more planned for the future, then I just have no choice but to say you are wrong.

You say " There are plenty of better ways to fund a game, and cheap gimmicky cash grabs" I challenge you to elaborate and prove you are correct and could make as much with your ideas as they do with theirs.

• talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    hippiejon wrote: »

Please elaborate on your ideas of how the company and game can make as much money as it currently does. Also tell us WHY they should lower the price of things when the market obviously supports the current pricing models.

At the present time , we are experiencing EXPANSION #3 and they show no signs of slowing down. Obviously they are making enough money that PWE (the parent company) is willing to allow them to continue doing what they are doing. (and doing well in my opinion). Read that again. Expansion #3.

If your money making ideas do not equal the capability for the game to reach Expansion #3 with more planned for the future, then I just have no choice but to say you are wrong.

You say " There are plenty of better ways to fund a game, and cheap gimmicky cash grabs" I challenge you to elaborate and prove you are correct and could make as much with your ideas as they do with theirs.

Oh no, they think Hyperbole will work just fine with baseless attacks and the line of "they can do better".
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,100 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    lordgyor wrote: »
    No, no, that's not Sharks, that's Dinosaurs. Dinosaurs with lasers..;)
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    They added the JJ stuff for that group of fans. I don't like JJ stuff, but you need something for all fans. So far the AOY tutorial has been really good! Been a while since I had this much fun.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • admrenlarreckadmrenlarreck Member Posts: 2,041 Arc User

Probably cause of the film grain. After all they were designed to look like an episode in 1960 on a mediocre tv.
    fayhers_starfleet.jpg

Fleet leader Nova Elite

Fleet Leader House of Nova elite
    @ren_larreck
  • delerouxdeleroux Member Posts: 478 Arc User
    STO Just made my KDF character fight and kill Klingons to save a Federation ship.
  • jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    Yes it did.

this ^^ there oversized overpowered (from what i hear anyway) and are there for nothing but money, its actually put me off playing untill the hype of them dies down.

Bah who cares bout those ships, im having the biggest Nerdgasm playing in the ToS era even if its just a visit, i liked how they pieced together the VO work of nimoy so spock could keep on living long and prospering.

Though the OP is right bout some of the TV shows voice sampling, at times sounds grainy and a little weird, the ground combat is fine love the old school feel to it.

i can see myself just making a toon not to advance but to hang in the ToS era , as far as the KT ships meh whatever not worried about it since they are in a box.
  • alund16alund16 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    frickin_lasers.jpg
  • aphelionmarauderaphelionmarauder Member Posts: 184 Arc User
    talonxv wrote: »

Oh no, they think Hyperbole will work just fine with baseless attacks and the line of "they can do better".

He makes an excellent point. Don't complain about issues, complain about them and present an ACTUAL solution.

Cryptic is amazing and all the work they are doing on STO is beautiful. Since I started around December 16th-18th 2014, I have loved EVER SINGLE THING they have done. Cryptic has made a game that people love, because it is an amazing Star Trek experience. If people ACTUALLY hated it, and if you think they are so screwed, then STO would be having sales and cranking out padding content in order to save itself. This is a full on 100% authentic all natural expansion of TOS content that benefits all factions (some WAY more than others).

Just enjoy the fruit you have in-front of you, cause when your below ground, you can't keep blowing up Iconians.​​
    Support the movement!
    Come stand with us in supporting Star Trek: The Animated Series content for STO! (It's canon!) #TASforSTO

Time travel and glass-cannon ships hurt my head and is NOT what Trek is about. Trek is exploration, becoming better as a species, and gaining scientific knowledge while holding on to the traditions that got us where were are.
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,985 Arc User
    More like jumped the galaxy
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
    • huskerklghuskerklg Member Posts: 561 Arc User
      So many just don't realize that without the money making, the game wouldn't likely be here.

They want everything handed to them for free, when in fact a lot is, like the expansion.
    • darkzenithukdarkzenithuk Member Posts: 57 Arc User
      huskerklg wrote: »
      So many just don't realize that without the money making, the game wouldn't likely be here.

They want everything handed to them for free, when in fact a lot is, like the expansion.

This.

We're lucky to have this game at all. I remember the first cancellation and liquidation of assets, not a good time to be a Star Trek fan, let me tell you. So yeah, all the moaning and sky is falling stuff really is a bit short sighted.
      Mortem a mundo, ortum republica, imperii ruina.
      edited July 2016

I did... and you just breezed over it. But if you want more:

Raising quality and lowering prices to match said quality would make more money. (initial point)

Selling things directly, rather than in lock boxes, would make more money because more people would buy what they wanted, rather than just having the few people with disposable income spending more than average players for so many keys.

Fixing many (MANY) of the issues plaguing this game (bug wise) would allow people to return, or add word of mouth value. Games that focus on keeping the game proper make more money than games who only keep things running at all.

Cross platform play would allow new players and old players to intermingle, making the game seem more lively as the new players funnel in from consoles. Currently though, to be honest, I'm not sure if this will be a thing in game or not, but a larger populace from crossplay makes the game seem alive rather than emptier servers looking dead from so few players. Dead games usually make less money.

Return to focus on customization. Being able to customize your ship and character are a huge plus in this game. I really feel that they should return to this, adding more options and items to the zen store. Costumes and weapon skins would be nice, ship visuals would be fun, since they're not adding those to as many things any more (romulan navy set, I'm looking at you...). New races would be bigger if the game were nicer. Personally, I'm playing my guy like an Augment, so having the ability to make that his actual race would be nice. Less restrictions in the tailor would make sets more valuable, things like that. I'll even go a step further and add:

More to do in your ship. Ships would be way easier of a decision to buy if there were more ship to them. Customizable interiors, more interaction and reason to enter your ship, visual reflections inside your ship that match the outside (Borg, Aegis, Maco, etc). The more valuable the ship is, the more people will buy it. Don't just reskin a ship, toss in a different console modifier and call it a day. Yes, Bridges can be nice, but I want a ship. The ships in star trek are characters all to themselves in most cases. People want that, and would be willing to pay for that experience... you know... a star trek experience.

Put out a kickstarter-esque feature detailing specifically what the money goes to. Make it a poll, so people could literally Vote with their wallets. This serves two functions: show the devs what people want and directly fund said feature. When a feature is fully funded, it's removed from the list and developed, leaving other features on the list to keep earning money.

Balance the %#$@^!$!#^ game. Pay to win is a thing here. The more you pay, the better builds you can get. Most of the top builds are using parts and traits and consoles from lockboxes and such. Balancing the game better would keep people from leaving because they can't keep up at times. People don't want to pay for a game they can't keep up in. They leave, so unless the consoles are going cross play, why bother? Keeping things more balanced and uniform would keep people from leaving and encourage spending simply because less people are leaving the game.

Quit charging us for the same thing we already bought. I bought the Caitians, but when Cryptic asked that I buy them again for the KDF side, I just laughed and said no. Ships are the same. I wouldn't pay $30 real money for a single ship. I wouldn't pay $30 for three slightly different versions of that same ship, but it would be more tempting. I certainly wouldn't pay that three times over for the same ship on all three factions. If buying a ship gave me the variants for the factions, It would be a way more worthwhile buy. Charging people up to 9 times for a single ship is a jerk move. Charging a little more for a single ship with three variants across all factions? Great move. The bundles are okay, but still too costly for how little people actually use out of it.

Quit selling updated versions of the ship I just bought. Knowing that a ship will be outdated, nerfed, or have the fleet version or T+ versions, which will also get the fleet version, really just makes me not want to buy ships at all. Period. Why buy what becomes less valuable a short time later?

Make subscribing worth while. So far... it doesn't really seem like it is. Maybe $15 in the C-store, and you can buy all of the gold member benefits, in terms of storage and cash limits and such, so why pay $15 a month?

More weapon types. Plenty of people would pay for more weapon types. D'k tahgs would almost be a must for KDF players, more so, if you were buying combat styles rather than just a weapon skin. Concept art showed some great designs for a grenade launcher. Keep the prices low and the weapons unique enough and people would buy that. Not every one, but enough.

These are just a few suggestions, out of the many that people have listed on the forums. The Best thing about the Star Trek IP is that people LOVE it. People already love things Star Trek, so they will buy things and pay money for things Star Trek related. It doesn't take much to do that, so why people feel the need to do it in ways that don't generate faith among the fans, or that just alienate them, really don't make much sense. I understand that PWE wants more money for less cost. That's how business works unfortunately. Cutting quality and player base is a bad way to do that. Cheap cash grabs are no match for content so good you have to get it. Nickle and dime tactics really negate the feel of Star Trek. Yes, you can grind for things, but with all of the issues listed and the multitude unlisted, what's the point? This game has already taken such a departure from Star Trek that it really just loses any respectability. As a Star Fleet captain (or Admiral), I really shouldn't have genocide, resource hording, or out right murder on my list of things I frequently do. Maybe Cryptic should re-evaluate the game and it's business model a bit to make up for the faults of the game?

Moving the game to consoles is a great move, but really, how many people on console are going to pay $30 for a single ship? How many people on console are going to pay that multiple times? This is the kind of thing people expect from bad mobile games, not Big IP licensed MMOs, yet just look at poor STO and even SWTOR. Their really just hurting themselves as much as the fans.
    • delerouxdeleroux Member Posts: 478 Arc User
      edited July 2016
      huskerklg wrote: »

Nonsensical drivel.

Gamers have been paying for games for decades. People have been paying for products, including entertainment, for centuries. Every single person who plays this game is playing it on a system that was bought, using electricity and internet that they pay for, in a home that they rent or own. No one has any issue with someone, or some company, exchanging their labor for money.

Put your post back in the trash where you found it.