What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Infinity Lock Box

Comments

• Options
    doggpatchdoggpatch Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    stobg2015 wrote: »
    Would any of these include items such as the Tuffli or Suliban Cell Ship?

Doubtful. Those were not lockbox items but rather part of Duty Officer Pack promotions. Though I won't complain if those end up in an Infinity Lockbox too.

Overall, I welcome this new lockbox mechanic. I've got a lot of older ones cluttering up my inventory just in case I ever wanted to open them.

I do hope they (the Infinity boxes) stack higher than 20?

DAAAAAAAA...I received my tuffi from a lock box long ago ....
  • Options
    tilarium1979tilarium1979 Member Posts: 567 Arc User
    They did have a promotion a while back where you could get a Tuffi or a Cellship from a lockbox in addition to it's regular prizes.
  • Options
    nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    Just because you don't like the boxes and think they are worthless doesn't mean that everyone else does. I enjoy them (not just in this game but every game I play that has something similar).

Its not a case of "like". I had a fabulous run opening 32 infinity boxes today. The new ones are GREAT. People are only looking to selling their stockpiles off en mass because they've done the math and the old boxes ARE worthless - as a function of tangible fact, not opinion - compared to the infinity boxes and they expect the exchange to be crawling with rich idiots who can't see the same thing themselves.

Watch the dumping closely - people will be doing it all week while nobody is buying old boxes because the new boxes are coming into the environment like rain, which will give plenty of time for the "old box market" to utterly bottom out before anyone even thinks of looking at it as a buyer.

• Options
    tilarium1979tilarium1979 Member Posts: 567 Arc User
    nikeix wrote: »
    Just because you don't like the boxes and think they are worthless doesn't mean that everyone else does. I enjoy them (not just in this game but every game I play that has something similar).

Its not a case of "like". I had a fabulous run opening 32 infinity boxes today. The new ones are GREAT. People are only looking to selling their stockpiles off en mass because they've done the math and the old boxes ARE worthless - as a function of tangible fact, not opinion - compared to the infinity boxes and they expect the exchange to be crawling with rich idiots who can't see the same thing themselves.

Watch the dumping closely - people will be doing it all week while nobody is buying old boxes because the new boxes are coming into the environment like rain, which will give plenty of time for the "old box market" to utterly bottom out before anyone even thinks of looking at it as a buyer.

Ah ok. I thought you meant all boxes suck, the old ones and the new Infinity one. You're right, as a box reseller I've been watching the exchange closely and sighing as I watch it get flooded with the old boxes for dirt cheap compared to what they used to sell at. I'm half expecting the new box to get nerfed big time with how well they are dropping items.
  • Options
    jamo3jamo3 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    Personally I feel the downgraded Infinity Lock boxes are totally ridiculous, only containing old gear and has now made all old lock boxes obsolete, Stupid decision to make this change, exchange prices will get better but the price of keys is utterly ridiculous and very unique items like Inspirational Leader will become just a normal item like everything else, the challenge to build up your ec or dil for trade to zen or buy from exchange will become obsolete as most items including Lock box ships will be available to a player who hasn't even reached Lvl 50, 1 big plus for me is I will save a lot of money on sto as this has pushed me towards the decision, which is mentioned over and over in forum that I will no longer worry about opening them, or buying keys. Love the game but some very poor decision making by developers to introduce this change specifically.
  • Options
    sharpie65sharpie65 Member Posts: 679 Arc User
    jamo3 wrote: »
    Personally I feel the downgraded Infinity Lock boxes are totally ridiculous, only containing old gear and has now made all old lock boxes obsolete, Stupid decision to make this change, exchange prices will get better but the price of keys is utterly ridiculous and very unique items like Inspirational Leader will become just a normal item like everything else, the challenge to build up your ec or dil for trade to zen or buy from exchange will become obsolete as most items including Lock box ships will be available to a player who hasn't even reached Lvl 50, 1 big plus for me is I will save a lot of money on sto as this has pushed me towards the decision, which is mentioned over and over in forum that I will no longer worry about opening them, or buying keys. Love the game but some very poor decision making by developers to introduce this change specifically.

It's a much needed change that's dealing with power creep in an innovative way: make everything from previous boxes available with a decent drop rate, and you have a partial solution. It's also making the EC market more affordable for the filthy casuals among us, especially in regards to high-end items like Inspirational Leader, like rank 1 Kemocite-laced Weaponry.
    MXeSfqV.jpg
  • Options
    shevetshevet Member Posts: 1,667 Arc User
    I for one welcome our new inventory-decluttering overlords.
    8b6YIel.png?1
  • Options
    mosul33mosul33 Member Posts: 836 Arc User
    Great chancebox. A very good decission on Cryptic's part. Kudos to them. Its the best lockbox and the players love it (for real, no pun intended).
  • Options
    frtoasterfrtoaster Member Posts: 3,352 Arc User
    I could not find any mention of the "Research & Development Pack" in the in-game description of the Infinity Lock Box, so either I skimmed the description too quickly, the in-game description is wrong, or the table in the announcement is wrong. Also not listed in the in-game description are the "Fleet Support Duty Officer Pack" and the "Reinforcements Duty Officer Pack".
    Waiting for a programmer ...
    qVpg1km.png
  • Options
    stobg2015stobg2015 Member Posts: 800 Arc User
    I will still hang on to some of my old lockboxes one way or the other, unless they retire them and forcibly convert them all over to Infinity boxes.

Why?

Well, okay. First of all, there's the missing starship trait thing.

Second, DO's are still random so if I want specific DO's from discontinued packs I'll still have a better chance of getting them from specific lockboxes. If they overhaul the DO packs so I can get the ones I want, I'll revisit that decision.

The same holds true for any of the other 'lesser' prizes that will still be randomized.

Third, the infinity boxes haven't been around long enough for anyone to figure out the prize distribution odds. For all we know, they're worse and you're more likely to get junk... even if it is potentially junk that you might actually want.

Yes, if you're playing 'lockbox lotto' and hoping for a specific ship, the Infinity box wins hands down. But I wouldn't be too quick to throw away all those old lockboxes if you have room to store them. Use the opportunity to cut ones out of your inventory that really aren't useful to you and keep the ones that just might enable you to be selective about what you open. I can think of a few of them that I won't care about. I can think of some others that I might pick up cheap on the exchange...
    (The Guy Formerly And Still Known As Bluegeek)
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Anecdotal evidence suggests the odds are better.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options

The odds are better for what? Doesn't it depend on what you're trying to get? After all, the probabilities still have to sum to 1.
    qVpg1km.png
  • Options
    stobg2015stobg2015 Member Posts: 800 Arc User

Yeah, I'm not saying they aren't. I'm saying that we might want to let certain well-to-do types do what they do and test it before we start throwing out all the old boxes.
    (The Guy Formerly And Still Known As Bluegeek)
  • Options
    kronin#4685 kronin Member Posts: 325 Arc User
    What is the highest price of keys that anyone has seen on the exchange before this event? When the transition from Mirror Incursion boxes to Nah'kuhl boxes happened, keys didn't get anywhere near this expensive.
    Anyone who doesn't want their old boxes can feel free to mail them to me. :)
  • Options
    awlaforgeawlaforge Member Posts: 235 Arc User
    frtoaster wrote: »
    I could not find any mention of the "Research & Development Pack" in the in-game description of the Infinity Lock Box, so either I skimmed the description too quickly, the in-game description is wrong, or the table in the announcement is wrong. Also not listed in the in-game description are the "Fleet Support Duty Officer Pack" and the "Reinforcements Duty Officer Pack".

They still drop in the lock box. I got one. Still trying to do better than the "T5 Secondary ship". <sigh>
  • Options
    awlaforge wrote: »

They still drop in the lock box. I got one. Still trying to do better than the "T5 Secondary ship". <sigh>

Sorry, what did you get? the "Research & Development Pack", "Fleet Support Duty Officer Pack", or "Reinforcements Duty Officer Pack"?
    qVpg1km.png
  • Options
    sgtfloydpepper#7911 sgtfloydpepper Member Posts: 1,111 Arc User
    I hope they continue with this pattern of adding more choice with future lockboxes, cuz the Infinity box is definately a hit in my books. :)
    1xe027q.png
  • Options
    cuchulainn74cuchulainn74 Member Posts: 831 Arc User
    I think the huge escalation in Exchange key prices alone speaks for the success of this change. Massive QoL improvement!
    Fleet Admiral CuChulainn - U.S.S. Aegis KT Intel Dreadnought Cruiser
    vGdvFsX.jpg

• Options
    grishimgrishim Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    Yay, one lockbox to rule them all, while the dilithium market falls to ruin! Seems cryptic will not be happy until the STO dilithium exchange resembles Neverwinter and Champions markets. Sad indeed. Can only hope that the console pigeons will come online and increase the demand for dilithium to drive the exchange back down to reasonable levels again.
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    grishim wrote: »
    Yay, one lockbox to rule them all, while the dilithium market falls to ruin! Seems cryptic will not be happy until the STO dilithium exchange resembles Neverwinter and Champions markets. Sad indeed. Can only hope that the console pigeons will come online and increase the demand for dilithium to drive the exchange back down to reasonable levels again.

That's never going to happen.

The PC and Console Players won't be connected.
    B)
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    grishimgrishim Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    > @daveyny said:
    > grishim wrote: »
    >
    > Yay, one lockbox to rule them all, while the dilithium market falls to ruin! Seems cryptic will not be happy until the STO dilithium exchange resembles Neverwinter and Champions markets. Sad indeed. Can only hope that the console pigeons will come online and increase the demand for dilithium to drive the exchange back down to reasonable levels again.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > That's never going to happen.
    >
    > The PC and Console Players won't be connected.
    > B)

Ewwww, bummer :(
  • Options
    Now if only the server would stop DC'ing every hour like has since they're last "backend maintenance" 3 weeks ago... >_>
    1xe027q.png
  • Options
    lopequillopequil Member Posts: 1,226 Arc User
    @crypticspartan#0627 Is it too late to make the prize packs bound to account?
    Q9BWcdD.png
  • Options
    alexvio1alexvio1 Member Posts: 389 Arc User
    The prize packs should be unbounded for more easy sell of ships on the exchange.
  • Options
    waywardwandererwaywardwanderer Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    awlaforge wrote: »

Sorry, what did you get? the "Research & Development Pack", "Fleet Support Duty Officer Pack", or "Reinforcements Duty Officer Pack"?

I've gotten both R&D and Reinforcements in my latest Infinity box openings.

Edit: After this, I opened 9 more boxes. I got 2 weapon packs, 2 R&D packs, 1 Temporal Research Assignment (Unspecified), 1 750 Rep Mark pool, 1 Delta Expedition Kits pack, 1 Gamma Quadrant Duty Officer Cadre, and 1 Voth Seperatist Officers (which has description text for Elachi Survivors pack, oddly). So it looks like a lot of the more common drops don't give you a choice, but the more rare and desirable ones do. If you're looking for a specific duty officer pack or kit pack from an earlier box, that may mean lower odds of it dropping as opposed to similar packs from other boxes.
    Post edited by waywardwanderer on
  • Options
    plaztikman64plaztikman64 Member Posts: 725 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    Best lockbox ever if you'd ask me, ship prices are in free fall mode, same for all the other "best" items, grab em while it lasts! ;)

Edit: except of course, for those "best" items which are not included as of yet...
  • Options
    thegreathibikithegreathibiki Member Posts: 98 Arc User
    I see a problem. Everything is character bound. So even though I have t5 ship boxes that I would love to put on other toons I cannot because they are stuck on the one character that has all of them.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    I see a problem. Everything is character bound. So even though I have t5 ship boxes that I would love to put on other toons I cannot because they are stuck on the one character that has all of them.

Once you choose an item from the box, it's no longer bound. so, you can choose which T5 ship box you want and transfer it to your other character.
    1xe027q.png
  • Options
    thegreathibikithegreathibiki Member Posts: 98 Arc User

Once you choose an item from the box, it's no longer bound. so, you can choose which T5 ship box you want and transfer it to your other character.
    VERY good to know.