test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Just say yes/no to more JJverse

jtoon74jtoon74 Member Posts: 409 Arc User
Clues in the title although I will expand a little on the poll questions to try to give a brtoader choice, I'm a firm no, I read somewhere that geko said it could happen if enough players want it, interestingly enough i'm fairly sure enough players want a Cardassian/Gamma quadrant EXpansion but that ain't happening soon.

Just say yes/no to more JJverse 188 votes

Full JJverse interaction, I.E. story arcs in the alternate universe and intereacgtion with more porimary characters from the movies
37% 71 votes
Partial interaction with only the odd mission or a single story arc set in JJverse
23% 45 votes
NO!
22% 42 votes
Not bothered either way.
15% 30 votes

Comments

• artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    You mean the Kelvin Timeline or the Alternate Reality. CBS has given it a name.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    I like the JJ movies, but I voted partial because a full expansion worth of content would seem out of place, and would really only work if we were "stranded" in the JJ-verse and trying to find a way back to the prime universe.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
    azrael605 wrote: »
    Like Artan said, it's the Kelvin Timeline.

I like the movies, but it'll always be the JJ-verse to me, just has a better ring to it than Kelvin Timeline IMHO. Just like the aliens from fluidic space will always be Species 8472, the word "Undine" is not in my vocabulary.
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    fastandfuriousverse jjcrapverse faketrek fanfilmsthatbreakthenewguidelines! fratpartyinspace!!
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• alpharaider47#7707 alpharaider47 Member Posts: 171 Arc User
    I enjoy the Kelvin Timeline almost as much as TOS, so I'm all for more content. I think that it would provide a rich storytelling environment that could be isolated from the 'Prime" timeline to appease those who are not as excited for it. I think it provides a great opportunity to explore the different crews and ships from the Kelvin Timeline, and explore how they would have responded had they been placed in similar situations as their prime counterparts. Almost like Into Darkness was a mirror of Wrath of Khan, perhaps other stories could be explored.
    sFfAcbR.jpg
    STO Beta Test and Launch Veteran
  • themetalstickmanthemetalstickman Member Posts: 1,010 Arc User
    I think STO should remain mostly in the Prime universe. That being said, I also would like some minor Kelvin Timeline integration.
    Og12TbC.jpg

Your father was captain of a starship for twelve minutes. He saved 800 lives, including your mother's, and yours.

I dare you to do better.
  • scarlingscarling Member Posts: 708 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    fastandfuriousverse jjcrapverse faketrek fanfilmsthatbreakthenewguidelines! fratpartyinspace!!

For someone who calls themselves Sheldon, you've turned into a very insufferable jerk.... o wait.
  • sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    scarling wrote: »

For someone who calls themselves Sheldon, you've turned into a very insufferable jerk.... o wait.

I've been want to mention something about crawling and rocks and back under to you. So...
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• sinn74sinn74 Member Posts: 1,149 Arc User
    fratpartyinspace!!

I would pay to watch a movie with this as a title.
  • puckerbrushpuckerbrush Member Posts: 117 Arc User
    I would like to see a Galaxy Quest crossover.
    M6SiKbG.gif
    Please spay and neuter your Caitians
  • snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    jtoon74 wrote: »
    I read somewhere that geko said it could happen if enough players want it,

Are you sure about that? Usually the fan response to anything like this is "CBS said no." And we just move on from that. Here you are suggesting Geko directly contradicts the narrative that players put forth regarding crazy ideas.

Anyways, I'm voting a full on yes! The movies and the new TV series are the present and future of Star Trek. I fully support this game embracing the NOW and the SOON TO COME of Star Trek. It's time for us all to accept the new and move on out of the past. STO has enough of the past shows to scratch that itch. Let's see what else is out there for the future of Trek!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Difference with Undine is that was dreamed up by Cryptic, Kelvin Timeline is official per CBS and the term originated with the Okudas as part of their revision of the Trek Encyclopedia.

Doesn't change the fact that I just don't like that name. I think it's more the use of the word Timeline, I prefer the word Universe since we refer to old trek as the Prime Universe. The word universe also makes it clear that both can exist simultaneously, whereas the word timeline can potentiality imply that old trek was erased from the timeline, like how X-Men 1-3 were erased by Days of Future Past.

I could probably compromise and use the term Kelvin Universe when I myself refer to it. I'll have to give it some more thought.
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • captsolcaptsol Member Posts: 921 Arc User
    I'd like to see some level of full interaction at some point, it'd certainly give us more to do and a whole new, mostly untouched universe to explore. I'm also happy with partial interaction. I don't ever see it overshadowing the Prime Universe due to CBS, license and everything else so I'm also quite happy with whatever else we get from that timeline, too. The way I see it, STO is meant to be Star Trek for everyone so everybody should get some piece of what they enjoy about it. More Trek can't be bad.
  • alcyoneserenealcyoneserene Member Posts: 2,412 Arc User
    Voted "Partial interaction" since this game isn't just for Star Trek fans exclusively but also tries to appeal to MMO Sci Fi fans and so I'd like to think they can pull it off okay, so I can have my Star Trek while others can have their JJ Star Trek too.

Oddly enough my biggest problem relates to the MMO Sci Fi fan perspective since I'm not liking the gameplay, at least not at end game as it stands, while the Trek experience is still there somewhat if one uses a heavy dose of imagination and role play, and considering exploration is supposed to be in development.
    Y945Yzx.jpg
    Devs: Provide the option to Turn OFF full screen flashes from enemy ship explosions
    · ♥ · ◦.¸¸. ◦'¯`·. (Ɏ) V A N U _ S O V E R E I G N T Y (Ɏ) .·´¯'◦.¸¸. ◦ · ♡ ·
    «» \▼/ T E R R A N ¦ R E P U B L I C \▼/ «»
    ﴾﴿ ₪ṩ ||| N A N I T E S Y S T E M S : B L A C K | O P S ||| ₪ṩ ﴾﴿
    I'm happy to use Kelvin Timeline from an in universe perspective because that's probably how Daniels would refer to it. For from an outside reality I prefer The Alternate Reality. It's a three word title that abreviates to a three letter word begining with T in the same manner as TOS, TAS, & TNG. It's also slightly more accurate as it refers to a reality not a timeline but I don't really see much difference between the two.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

• angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    Yes I would like more i would like the whole game to this oh god have you ssen the vengeance its so awesome omg lol i want more kelvin timeline it is the best trek i love it lol​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
    I knew you'd come around eventually. Welcome to the AR Targ. We have cookies with lense flare.

#TASforSTO

• angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    Yes i take a cookie oh look it blew up in my face look at the lensflare haha lol oh how awesome is the vengeance so shooty look at all the edges oh its so cool lol now i finally get that khan line lol​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    Difference with Undine is that was dreamed up by Cryptic, Kelvin Timeline is official per CBS and the term originated with the Okudas as part of their revision of the Trek Encyclopedia.

Doesn't change the fact that I just don't like that name. I think it's more the use of the word Timeline, I prefer the word Universe since we refer to old trek as the Prime Universe. The word universe also makes it clear that both can exist simultaneously, whereas the word timeline can potentiality imply that old trek was erased from the timeline, like how X-Men 1-3 were erased by Days of Future Past.

I could probably compromise and use the term Kelvin Universe when I myself refer to it. I'll have to give it some more thought.
    You still attach to much meaning to the word universe or timeline.

Strictly speaking: "The Universe is all of time and space and its contents." That meas there can't be two, because then there would be space and time outside the Universe, which violates the very definition of the world. Universe means there can be only one. That there can be multiple timelines however is not unusual - the timeline for the murder of John F. Kennedy looks different than the timeline of the introduction of airbags in cars. "A timeline is a way of displaying a list of events in chronological order, sometimes described as a project artifact."

The naming scheme will not affec whether authors will write stories about the post Dominion War DS9 or the post Vulcan destruction Starfleet, or whether movies or TV shows get made about it.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • captsolcaptsol Member Posts: 921 Arc User
    angrytarg wrote: »
    Yes i take a cookie oh look it blew up in my face look at the lensflare haha lol oh how awesome is the vengeance so shooty look at all the edges oh its so cool lol now i finally get that khan line lol​​

Damnit, Targ! Never get cookies near lensflares!
  • heavensrunheavensrun Member Posts: 215 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    artan42 wrote: »

Yeah, and before they did, the fans had given it a nickname, and the nickname is not going anywhere.

As for the OP, Man, I don't have anything against putting Kelvin stuff in for fans of the new films, any more than I have issues with them putting in the Daedalus or any of the other ships for fans of the old shows, or the Excel for fans of the old films, or the galaxy for TNG people, or whatever, but It does kinda burn that we get these and not a T6 Exeter, when the Exeter is a modern ship from the prime universe. We can refit a Daedalus so that it can fight Iconians, but an Exeter? Clearly that would be madness.
  • nyniknynik Member Posts: 1,626 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    I voted 'NO!' - though I'm not exactly out of my seat shouting aloud or anything.

I simply want to have more prime-universe centric 'adventures' in this game. In my view, we already have an over-abundance of time-travel, mirror universe and otherwise 'tangential' story paths.

I think the Kelvin Timeline is good, it its own right, but I had really hoped to explore the prime-universe in STO.
  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    Not bothered either way by it.

I'll play what they put out and enjoy it for what it is, entertainment.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • gradiigradii Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    I think STO should remain mostly in the Prime universe. That being said, I also would like some minor Kelvin Timeline integration.

Agreed, STO is rooted in the prime universe and should stay that way. A few lens flares here and there perhaps for laughs.

"He shall be my finest warrior, this generic man who was forced upon me.
    Like a badass I shall make him look, and in the furnace of war I shall forge him.
    he shall be of iron will and steely sinew.
    In great armour I shall clad him and with the mightiest weapons he shall be armed.
    He will be untouched by plague or disease; no sickness shall blight him.
    He shall have such tactics, strategies and machines that no foe will best him in battle.
    He is my answer to cryptic logic, he is the Defender of my Romulan Crew.
    He is Tovan Khev... and he shall know no fear."
  • captainoblivouscaptainoblivous Member Posts: 2,284 Arc User
    artan42 wrote: »

Oh deary deary me, people will call it what they will, diktats from above or no. Besides, JJverse or JJprise just rolls off the tongue much more easily than "AR verse" or "Kelvinprise" (the latter of which was already used for a bridge commander mod which build a JJprise out of Kelvin parts :P)
    I need a beer.

• captainchaos66captainchaos66 Member Posts: 409 Arc User
    So far they've said there is one mission that introduces the Kelvin Timeline, and they plan on doing more. I personal don't mind either way. The Kelvin Timeline is here,, its not going anywhere, and it opens up some interesting possibilities for the direction of STO to go. Last thing I want to see happen is the game get stale and uninteresting, so yeah, bring on the Kelvin Timeline goodies, or don't.. /shrug
    Fleet Admiral In charge of Bacon
    Fighting 5th Attack Squadron
    The Devils Henchman
  • ssbn655ssbn655 Member Posts: 1,894 Arc User
    I can live with partial AT stuff. But If they are going to add a lot more AT or whatever you want to call it then it should be spun off into it's own stand alone game. Star Trek to me and millions of others over the last 50 years has meant the universe and timeline of TOS, TNG, DS9, Voy, and love it or hate it Ent. Seriously It's not the ALT Enterprise hanging in the Boeing Milestones of Flight Hall after all...
  • ssbn655ssbn655 Member Posts: 1,894 Arc User
    reyan01 wrote: »
    I'd like to see an occasional visit to/from the KU.

I don't however think that we or they should be able to come and go to/from the KU as we please. We already have STO's ridiculous interpretation of the Mirror Universe for that.

^ 100%