garaks31garaks31 Member Posts: 2,845 Arc User
edited June 2016 in Ten Forward
that was a nice balanced work
and with that what the alien probe can teach us

would make a nice tv show

Comments

• rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,973 Community Moderator
    edited June 2016
    While not quite as good as Independence Day...
    I'll give Resurgence a 7-8/10.

Had some pretty good nods to the original, and did expand the universe to show what those aliens were doing across the galaxy at least. The new fighter design could have been a newer model than what was seen in the original, so that's easilly explainable. Especially if these harvester groups are regularly isolated from each other for extended periods of time.

The only question that comes up now is if they had ships THAT FRAKKIN' BIG why did the first one that attacked Earth use the saucers?
    My guess... different class of ship, maybe meant for lower threat level planets like Earth.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    Was nervous cause this is one of the big movies I've been looking forward to this year and all the reviews I've seen have been terrible. Glad you two liked it, I'm hoping to see it this weekend myself.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
    Some say it bombed. Others will say its alright.
    I say... see for yourself and judge for yourself.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • garaks31garaks31 Member Posts: 2,845 Arc User
    seen Brent Spiner in so many scenes and as such a colorful character was also nice
  • thekodanarmada#7342 thekodanarmada Member Posts: 1,631 Arc User
    I will see it simply to support more science fiction franchises being out there. Also it's novel for sequels to show adapting technology gained from earlier movies' storylines.
    DInb0Vo.gif[/url][/center]
  • azniadeetazniadeet Member Posts: 1,871 Arc User
    The plot was overloaded and clumbsy.

But it was a fun movie. Very true to the original.
  • comrademococomrademoco Member Posts: 1,694 Bug Hunter
    edited July 2016
    I luve it
    6tviTDx.png

• evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    Alrighty, I saw it today (a very fitting day to see it, lol). Overall, I liked it, though I did feel like it was a lot crammed into one movie, and may have benefited from being split into two. There were a few things I didn't like about it, which I'll put in a spoiler tag, but I will say that now we have a point of reference for Riker's "Smooth as an android's bottom" line in Star Trek: Insurrection, lol.
    1) What happened to Connie, David's ex-wife that he was seemingly getting back with in the original? She's never mentioned once, which seemed odd.

2) At least one of the Casses should have been back, even if the role was relatively minor. Maybe the girl could have been David's assistant or something? Or maybe she could have replaced that guy that kept following him around?

3) The introduction of a second alien race, with suggestions of several others, is something I probably would have really liked ... if I hadn't already seen that in Falling Skies.

4) The President's role was so minor, and her demise so predictable, that you have to wonder why she was included at all.

5) I really didn't like the drilling to the earth's core thing ... it's only real purpose was to give a countdown timer for killing the Queen. Protecting the alien sphere, and the knowledge it contained, was big enough for the climax WITHOUT the whole "all life on earth will die in two minutes, you gotta kill it now" thing. The explanation from the first movie that they consume EVERY natural resource (not JUST the core) was much better IMHO. I mean, it was pretty obvious at the end of the original that the aliens were preparing to launch an all out invasion, why would they do that if the plasma drill ship was about to kill all life anyway? In fact, what was the point of destroying all the human cities if everyone was going to die anyway?

6) As I said above, this probably would have been better as two separate movies. The action could have been slowed down, individual characters could have received more screen time, and there could have been more world wide destruction, instead of just the atlantic ocean areas. The natural cutoff point would seem to have been immediately after the failed attack on the Queen.

7) President Whitmore's death, as dramatic as it was, ended up being pretty pointless, which greatly diminished the effect. Why didn't they use a drone for that anyway?

That's everything I can think of for now.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
    I'll give my ideas on each critique in a spoiler.
    1. Ok... you got me on that one. My guess... probably drifted apart again due to David's job.
    2. That is another good one. Honestly got nothing.
    3. I didn't follow all of Falling Skies. Kinda lost the mojo a bit for me. But the idea that the enemy aliens are fighting someone else was pretty cool.
    4. Dramatic effect maybe.
    5. The original mothership was much smaller than the second one. Maybe a different class. Even with a dead rock, there's resources you can collect, with the Molten Core being a major fuel source for the aliens. Everything else is probably gravy.
    6. It was pretty wall to wall action.
    7. I think that was a bit of the point. The Queen wasn't supposed to be that easy. And they couldn't use a drone because they lost their satellites, so no remote control capability whatsoever.

The main problem with the movie is "Armeggeddon Fatigue." So many recent movies involved destruction on a massive scale that IDR didn't really stand out as much as it could have.
  • rangerryurangerryu Member Posts: 284 Arc User
    Well my thoughts on the film are that it wasn't as good as the first one, Brent Spiner was just simply amazing in it but I felt the side stories were sort of pointless,still a good film though.