test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Boycott the DIL exchange!

Comments

• ssbn655ssbn655 Member Posts: 1,894 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    I agree there needs to be a worthwhile Dilth sponge. It kind of sucks when your fleet has maxed everything out and has nothing really worthwhile to dump dilth into. R+D projects help but once you have everything to Epic well you are stuck again with nothing worth dumping dilth into. And while we are at it lets be honest some Rep gear that could soak up excess Dilth just isn't worth it.
  • bernatkbernatk Member Posts: 1,089 Bug Hunter
    ssbn655 wrote: »
    While it really doesn't hurt me one way or another there are a precentage of players that this defintely hurts. Not everyone can dump a large sum of cash for things in this game by no fault of thiers but from limits on thier budget due to family or economic situations in real life. The only realistic way they can get some items is thorugh the Dilith Exchange. These crazy prices are really hurting players like these who want to get better but are stymied by practices of some people out to get every EC or Dilth they can get there hands on.

If we're going with a utilitarian argument, there are far more players benefiting from being able to sell at these prices.

And we all know the saying: the needs of the few outweigh the needs of the many.
    Tck7dQ2.jpg
    Dahar Master Mary Sue                                               Fleet Admiral Bloody Mary
  • risian4risian4 Member Posts: 3,711 Arc User
    While it really doesn't hurt me one way or another there are a precentage of players that this defintely hurts. Not everyone can dump a large sum of cash for things in this game by no fault of thiers but from limits on thier budget due to family or economic situations in real life. The only realistic way they can get some items is thorugh the Dilith Exchange. These crazy prices are really hurting players like these who want to get better but are stymied by practices of some people out to get every EC or Dilth they can get there hands on.

Actually these are very good times for people who depend on EC. As for getting better: that's mostly done through upgrading, which costs dilithium.

There's plenty of free ships that are also pretty good, one can be obtained right now. Really, the only reason why one would need Zen, is for C-store ships and maybe some services or items like upgrade tokens (and even those can be obtained through the Exchange). C-store ships then, are not that expensive.

I highly doubt there are many people in the game who really depend on the dilithium exchange. In fact, as this game is not a basic need, no one really depends on it. Of course there are people who want to obtain things in the game nevertheless, but that has nothing to do with 'being in need' of something.

• hanover2hanover2 Member Posts: 1,053 Arc User
    Boycott whiny turds who claim entitlement to a favorable exchange rate!
  • ssbn655ssbn655 Member Posts: 1,894 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    risian4 wrote: »

Actually these are very good times for people who depend on EC. As for getting better: that's mostly done through upgrading, which costs dilithium.

There's plenty of free ships that are also pretty good, one can be obtained right now. Really, the only reason why one would need Zen, is for C-store ships and maybe some services or items like upgrade tokens (and even those can be obtained through the Exchange). C-store ships then, are not that expensive.

I highly doubt there are many people in the game who really depend on the dilithium exchange. In fact, as this game is not a basic need, no one really depends on it. Of course there are people who want to obtain things in the game nevertheless, but that has nothing to do with 'being in need' of something.
    Well by get better maybe I should have said acquire the T-6 ships which can give you an edge in some situations or acquire the upgrade tokens for T-5U.
    True about the EC situation but lets be frank somethings there are stupidly jacked up.
  • zorander6zorander6 Member Posts: 130 Arc User
    I won't buy zen with dilithium till the price drops but that's more because I don't have the time to bother grinding that much dilithium. At current rates I'd need almost 40 million DIL to buy what I want or 650$, neither of which I have (and yes I do have a full time job with benefits before you tell me to get a job, I also make decent money however I also have medical bills, utility bills, and other items that are higher on the priority list.) I have spent money on the game in the past as well, not much granted but what I felt I could afford at the time. I may also in the future but other things have priority.

A dil sink would be very nice but it has to be something that the people who have no job other than farming dil can sink it into. Till then don't expect anything to change IMO.
    risian4 wrote: »

Well by get better maybe I should have said acquire the T-6 ships which can give you an edge in some situations or acquire the upgrade tokens for T-5U.
    True about the EC situation but lets be frank somethings there are stupidly jacked up.

Except some starship traits, T6 ships are not really necessary. I fly Vestas and Kumari's on half of my toons (admittedly, with a lot of T6 traits active). It's really all about the gear, and upgrading gear has just become a lot easier if you even have a small amount of Zen to sell.
    zorander6 wrote: »
    I won't buy zen with dilithium till the price drops but that's more because I don't have the time to bother grinding that much dilithium. At current rates I'd need almost 40 million DIL to buy what I want or 650$, neither of which I have (and yes I do have a full time job with benefits before you tell me to get a job, I also make decent money however I also have medical bills, utility bills, and other items that are higher on the priority list.) I have spent money on the game in the past as well, not much granted but what I felt I could afford at the time. I may also in the future but other things have priority.

A dil sink would be very nice but it has to be something that the people who have no job other than farming dil can sink it into. Till then don't expect anything to change IMO.

$650? Yeah, that's quite a lot. But honestly, that's about half the C-store in terms of ships. The amount of things you'd need that much money for will (and IMO should) never be cheap.
  • bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    boycotting the exchange sounds like a good idea on the face of it but what will happen if the exchange rate drops to what you consider to be a fair price, players who have been holding onto their dilithium will have loads more of it to dump on the exchange and this will just result in the rate shooting up again very quickly.
    this might be good for the lucky few who were the first to hit the exchange with dilithium but for most by the time they realise what is happening the rate will be back to where it is now.

to the OP who asked where will it end? the answer is simple, 500-1 the maximum exchange rate cap.

all you can do is keep holding onto your dilithium until there is a significant dilithium sink in the game that makes dilithium more desirable and forces the rate back down, the problem is you are likely to hit the dilithium owned cap long before this ever happens unless you find something you want to spend your dilithium on yourself.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• lazarus51166lazarus51166 Member Posts: 646 Arc User
    Well considering its player driven

Except for when it isn't. Devs manipulated the exchange multiple times posing as players and admitted to it eventually. Why wouldn't they do the same with the dilithium exchange if they thought it would lead to making more money on zen?
    I heard some people say it was even below 100/1 at some points

114 is as low as I can remember seeing it
  • solafide420solafide420 Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    Great job people, all you had to do is stop paying high prices for a few days, but instead you buy more, now zen is 490+ a dil...the trolls, and others who charge those high prices come on, troll the thread, you people fall for it, gets worse, what a smart community...Zen sale, best time to boycott, not 3 weeks ago it was under 300 dil per zen, but you let the trolls and con-artists win..I tried, could have been different, trolls win, congratz...dumb community, stupid, stupid,stupid
    questerius wrote: »
    OP i can appreciate the sentiment and i am anything but happy with the extremely high dilithium exchange rates.
    Having said that, there are several topics about this already and this one serves no purpose other than to clutter the forum.

Judging from the great responses, I would say this isn't clutter at all..just a suggestion, and I do appreciate the feedback, but if you think a post is clutter, then just move on, and I don't really see anything calling for the right cure, a boycott, pure and simple..Thanks!

Heres another great response, "you" boycott it.

My 500 zen stip every month has already capped out two characters in upgrades.

I couldn't care less what you do with your stip, or if you don't get one.

By all means carry on with your political campaign.

Good for you, you must be a really cool dude, flying around in your pixel ship, not caring, getting your monthly stipend, wow, what a cool dude
    Funny thing is, I have plenty of Zen and plenty of dil, just wanted to see if the community, for once, could do something worthwile...these forums are infected with trolls, why I never post, and this post was a royal waste of time because, what did one person respond? Political agenda? Lol, wtg people, you are beyond help
  • saber1973asaber1973a Member Posts: 1,224 Arc User
    People - be happy that we got Dil exchange... after all in most F2P games premium currency is only for hard cash...
    The ignorance is too damnn high... and no, I'm not referring to those who buy Zen.

What part of 'you can't influence the behaviour of the entire market and all who participate in it' didn't you get? Do you realise that entire states failed while trying to do (controlling free or partly free markets) what you are doing now? Do you also realise that entire branches of science are dedicated to learning about customer behaviour and how to influence it? And that almost all of them conclude that people are selfish, own utility optimising actors?

I'm not sure why you even thought that you would succeed, where so many others have failed. You're trying to change human nature and influencing a system for which no better alternative has been developed yet.

But whatever, multiple people have been telling you just that and you chose to ignore them. But please, keep on raging about how 'dumb' (I thought you wouldn't call people names?) this community is. It's getting really funny. And a bit sad tbh.
  • kekvinkekvin Member Posts: 633 Arc User
    Im glad i sold all my dill at 418. Its almost at the cap now
  • texarion#1034 texarion Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    A boycott will never work due to one obvious and simple to explain reason. There are huge numbers of playrs out there with vast amounts of Dilithium who will continue to pay whatever the current price is no matter how high it goes. TJRHV
    ][=''d be buying up Zen myself. Spend a few million Dilithium on Zen so I'm not at the cap, play some more and once I reach the cap, buy some more Zen.

There is one, and only one way to force the market to drop and since you (the OP) seem to be so adamant about forcing it to drop, I am sure we will all be watching to see if you take action and do the only thing that will make it drop. It is quite simple and will cause the market to drop just as fast as it climbed.

All you have to do is dump a huge amount of Zen on the market at the level you think it should be at. Done ! ! !

A bit more explanation just in case the simple version didn't make sense. If you want the market to be at say 200/1, then you dump a lot of Zen on the market at 200/1. The market is now exactly where you want it. When that Zen runs low, keep dumping more.

Actually this will not stabilize the market at 200/1, it will cause the market to drop below 200/1 as the players who truly need Dilithium "right now" will always be dumping Zen on the market at a lower price than the current rates.

Meanwhile most of the rest of us will do what we always do, treat the game economy the same as real life economy. If something we desire costs more than we want to pay, we just don't buy it.
  • starmanjstarmanj Member Posts: 714 Arc User
    Boycotting would eventually dive the market down and more Dil sinks for now I am Boycotting
  • bengahlbengahl Member Posts: 74 Arc User
    it's a market and the value fluctuates, right now it's roughly 470/480 dil per zen. i'd say it's settling down a smidge by now.
  • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    We impose order on the chaos of market evolution.

You buy Zen because we allow it, and you will pay dilithium because we demand it.​​
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • texarion#1034 texarion Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    Lol, technically a huge amount of us are boycotting......by not buying until the price drops down to what we are willing to pay. We just aren't trying to force/coerce others into doing the same only paying what we are willing to pay.

• bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    Well considering its player driven

Except for when it isn't. Devs manipulated the exchange multiple times posing as players and admitted to it eventually. Why wouldn't they do the same with the dilithium exchange if they thought it would lead to making more money on zen?

problem is with your theory cryptic are liable to make far less money when the exchange rate is high as buyers will have to spend far less zen to gain the dilithium they want then they would if the exchange rate was lower.
    subsequently it would be greatly in cryptics favour to keep the exchange rate lower by finding a worthwhile dil sink to add to the game, perhaps its just the case that they are all out of ideas to achieve this goal.

the fact is simply there are more ways then ever to earn dilithium and very little in the way of dilithium sinks to take that dilithium back out of the game again, this just leads to a imbalance in the supply and demand due to the glut of available dilithium that pushes the dilithium to zen rate ever higher.

the only ways for cryptic to make a change would be to either find an efective dilithium sink or to vastly hamper the creation of dilithium by reducing the rewards or lowering the refine rate neither of which they are likely to do.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    I'm going to transfer a million over to my new Agent to get her started. At least it's something to do.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• shurkhemolightshurkhemolight Member Posts: 399 Arc User
    OP i can appreciate the sentiment and i am anything but happy with the extremely high dilithium exchange rates.
    Having said that, there are several topics about this already and this one serves no purpose other than to clutter the forum.

Judging from the great responses, I would say this isn't clutter at all..just a suggestion, and I do appreciate the feedback, but if you think a post is clutter, then just move on, and I don't really see anything calling for the right cure, a boycott, pure and simple..Thanks!

Good for you, you must be a really cool dude, flying around in your pixel ship, not caring, getting your monthly stipend, wow, what a cool dude

What are you woodstock vintage?, you ask for people to boycott then through around troll and cool when you dont like responses, ok.

• whamhammer1whamhammer1 Member Posts: 2,290 Arc User
    null

@solafide82 You do realize that you are the one sounding like a troll, and one throwing a royal temper tantrum at that.

Just because people dont do what you feel is "worthwhile", or think what you think makes them a "troll", or anything else for that matter.
  • cbrjwrrcbrjwrr Member Posts: 2,782 Arc User

A bit more explanation just in case the simple version didn't make sense. If you want the market to be at say 200/1, then you dump a lot of Zen on the market at 200/1. The market is now exactly where you want it. When that Zen runs low, keep dumping more.

And it would cost tens of thousands of dollars to do this, possibly hundreds of thousands if there is enough Dil floating around. But eventually it would work.
  • vegeta50024vegeta50024 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    Great job people, all you had to do is stop paying high prices for a few days, but instead you buy more, now zen is 490+ a dil...the trolls, and others who charge those high prices come on, troll the thread, you people fall for it, gets worse, what a smart community...Zen sale, best time to boycott, not 3 weeks ago it was under 300 dil per zen, but you let the trolls and con-artists win..I tried, could have been different, trolls win, congratz...dumb community, stupid, stupid,stupid

Unfortunately, the forum population makes up but a smaller percentage of the ingame community. Only way you're going to get people to stop purchasing is if you yelled it into every zone in game. that would take an army of people willing to do this with you.

TSC_Signature_Gen_4_-_Vegeta_Small.png
  • sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    in soviet russia exchange boycotts you
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• thekodanarmada#7342 thekodanarmada Member Posts: 1,631 Arc User

Unfortunately, the forum population makes up but a smaller percentage of the ingame community. Only way you're going to get people to stop purchasing is if you yelled it into every zone in game. that would take an army of people willing to do this with you.

Hint: spamming zone will be less effective than you think. You cannot compel the organization you would need to effect the change you seem to want.
    DInb0Vo.gif[/url][/center]
This discussion has been closed.