test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Thank you so much for the infinity lockbox

Finally I can afford stuff I've wanted for months and years. The shrieking of the market speculators is reaching the sky-palaces of the gods!

Pretty soon Cryptic's going to be able to introduce a new currency: player tears.

Comments

• daedalus304daedalus304 Member Posts: 1,049 Arc User
    wait....how will you be able to afford stuff?

at the very most, it just seems like the infinity lockbox might just double your chances, if that, to get what you want.

it's not like you're gonna have a HIGH chance of getting those "choice keys". it just means, that from now on, you'll be able to get the prize you want, if you land on the lucky key as you would any lockbox ship.
  • officerbatman81officerbatman81 Member Posts: 2,761 Arc User
    Well.....i just checked the exchange for a popular coveted item and it is now very cheap by comparison to what it was a few weeks ago.

Not saying what it is because i dont want to eff with the market.
  • spacehermitspacehermit Member Posts: 355 Arc User
    Likewise. I just purchased a popular coveted item at half the price it was two days ago. Even if the price drops further tomorrow - I'm still happy.
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    The Plasmonic Leech dropped 50M overnight.. so yeah.

Sucks for me, I had one in my bank that I bought at 60M to flip later. Oh well, easy come.. easy go. :)
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • thekodanarmada#7342 thekodanarmada Member Posts: 1,631 Arc User
    It's almost like a brand new market. Well implemented.
    DInb0Vo.gif[/url][/center]
  • sharpie65sharpie65 Member Posts: 679 Arc User
    The only problem is, when the Infinity boxes stop during the run of the next lockbox things may just shoot back up.
    MXeSfqV.jpg
  • szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    I'm genuinely surprised there's no outrage going on in the forums. I imagine plenty of people lost billions of EC in item value overnight. I lost maybe 100m, but all those ridicoulusly expensive items are no perfectly affortable. It's a good day ;)
  • lopequillopequil Member Posts: 1,226 Arc User
    @szim They're probably being drowned out by the cheers of the buyers. What, you're not going to be able to make 750 million EC from that rare drop? Cry me a river.
    Q9BWcdD.png
  • tessaravejgantessaravejgan Member Posts: 276
    I had some bound keys and opened 3 of them, got 2x 25k fleet cred booster and ferengi privateers doff pack (2 greens and 1 blue) + 25 lobi.
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    When I logged on a hour ago the Leech was 22mil, it's now 17.5mil. I think I'll wait until it hits 10mil.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • seriousdaveseriousdave Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    The infinity boxes are great, no more inventory overload during the box-rerun times. :)

Though the downside is I won't be able to make EC with xindi-II boxes anymore. Well, was hilarious while it lasted. :D
    artan42 wrote: »
    When I logged on a hour ago the Leech was 22mil, it's now 17.5mil. I think I'll wait until it hits 10mil.​​

Even though I bought one for profit, I'm still very happy to see this. I remember buying one for around that price about 2 or 3 years ago, never seen it anywhere near that price since.

I can still keep the one I bought in my bank and give it to my Temporal Recruit so it's all good. It will be interesting to see how much the price rebounds after the Infinity Box drop event is over. At this rate though, I don't think it will change much because there will be hundreds of them on the market by that point.

Again, cool with me. :)
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    I can still keep the one I bought in my bank and give it to my Temporal Recruit so it's all good.

It's levelless isn't it. I may do this as well.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • mosul33mosul33 Member Posts: 836 Arc User
    szim wrote: »
    I'm genuinely surprised there's no outrage going on in the forums. I imagine plenty of people lost billions of EC in item value overnight. I lost maybe 100m, but all those ridicoulusly expensive items are no perfectly affortable. It's a good day ;)

They most likely sulking in salty tears in the trade channels lol. Indeed this is a good day. This is the best lockbox and the players love it (no pun intended). Big Thanks to Cryptic for this. Its really a good move on their part.
  • mmps1mmps1 Member Posts: 381 Arc User
    Zen being drained, dil ex up, market value depressed and new shinnies just about to be released. Totes not a cynical way of wringing TOS for all it's worth and trying to get as many folks as possible to put their hands in their wallets. When it comes to cash stuff like lockboxes, they ain't doing things to make life easier.
    "Mr talks down to the peasants."
  • thekodanarmada#7342 thekodanarmada Member Posts: 1,631 Arc User
    mmps1 wrote: »
    Zen being drained, dil ex up, market value depressed and new shinnies just about to be released. Totes not a cynical way of wringing TOS for all it's worth and trying to get as many folks as possible to put their hands in their wallets. When it comes to cash stuff like lockboxes, they ain't doing things to make life easier.

And they say this game has no PvP. It's just happening on a totally different level.
    DInb0Vo.gif[/url][/center]
    mmps1 wrote: »

Cryptic is a business, they're here to make money.

No different from whatever company you work for. You cannot fault a business for attempting to make profit.
  • sharpie65sharpie65 Member Posts: 679 Arc User
    Post deleted.
    MXeSfqV.jpg

And they say this game has no PvP. It's just happening on a totally different level.

This made me laugh!
  • hyefatherhyefather Member Posts: 1,286 Arc User
    Finally I can afford stuff I've wanted for months and years. The shrieking of the market speculators is reaching the sky-palaces of the gods!

Pretty soon Cryptic's going to be able to introduce a new currency: player tears.

I can't figure out if your serious or being sarcastic. "New currency" Player tears. That doesn't sound to enthusiastic to me.

• capemike4capemike4 Member Posts: 394 Arc User
    Was looking last night...prices on the Wells Temporal ship were in free-fall, with a few dropping to under 200m...still WAY out of my price range, but a very nice development....
    When in doubt...Gravity Well TO THE FACE!! :D
  • snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    Kind of unusual. The infinity box itself seems like a pretty good move by Cryptic. Setting the economy effects aside, it opens up a more optimized way of continuing the chase for past items and ships by encouraging purchase of keys and opening of boxes.

As far as the economy goes? I'm really not much of an expert. My paltry sum of EC mostly comes from selling crafting mats and keys. I've only ever used the exchange economy to obtain stuff I want or need on a "need it now" basis. And I've not got a lot of experience with the dilithium exchange to offer any useful feedback.

Sorry. My gut feeling is that the infinity lockbox is overall a good thing for both the company and its customers, but it obviously is going to have a large impact on the exchange and its top users. I'm not sure if that's good or bad.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Sorry. My gut feeling is that the infinity lockbox is overall a good thing for both the company and its customers, but it obviously is going to have a large impact on the exchange and its top users. I'm not sure if that's good or bad.

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few?
    Though the infinity box might have a very drastic effect on lockbox doffs. Even if you get a doff thingy from infinty it's gonna be random so the chances of getting Graga Mal & Co will become abyssmal low. They'll probably be the new high end products on the exchange.
  • lordsteve1lordsteve1 Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    I think it's an excellent development in the game. It means the whales who've pinned the exchange down for years at the expense of a lot of players will finally have to face a different reality.
    And if it makes prices drop it adds some variety to builds again as nice toys can become attainable to the masses so they can experiment more and not have to sell their souls in EC to afford stuff
    I'm totally up for some price drops on a few intensive been eying up. Pitty I bought a LB ship last week before the prices crashed, but hey you win some you lose some. The future looks bright.
    SulMatuul.png
  • alpharaider47#7707 alpharaider47 Member Posts: 171 Arc User
    I'm hoping that the supply influx will extend to the new lockbox ships as well. I'm hoping that, should the kelvin stuff launch via lockbox, they will not be priced out of reach.
    sFfAcbR.jpg
    STO Beta Test and Launch Veteran
  • taylor1701dtaylor1701d Member Posts: 3,099 Arc User
    Quick question, do the new infinity boxes have higher drop rates ?
    I'm actually shocked the leech is down so much. It just doesn't seem proper after seeing it selling for 50+ million for years now, even seen them as high as 85 mil at one point not very long ago.
    This is crazy (so call me maybe?)

But if indeed the drop rates have increased...I'm pretty happy.
    Anything that puts a crimp in the goldfarmers leeching off a legitimate business is good news to me. Things were getting out of control price wise for the last long while in STO.

I might have to do some exchange shopping tonight.

Only concern I have is that the Dil Ex is at near 500 already, when TOS xpack releases it will be 500/1 guaranteed. Which for me is a non-issue, I never trade my precious dil for Z. I usually have no issues spending money for things I want (though lately nothing has interested me). It's just more power creep at this point, which hasn't been needed for the longest time.
    But I guess people like to buy power...
    Though I would look at this current exchange rate as a sign, too many players are farming their zen through dil exchange.
    I mean, that can't be a good thing for Cryptics bottom line.

I actually think if the infinity boxes are dropping more stuff then normal, its a sign that the company really wants people to use their wallets more, and is maybe in a bit of a financial jam...at least until the console releases...
    Just speculation on my part. But I know this year in particular, I've bought barely anything. And I've seen the same with several of my fleetmates who are big spenders.
    I think people have really clamped down on their wallets as of late. Pure speculation on my part. But I wonder if anyone else has noticed this same phenomenon ?
    [img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg
  • sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    I suspect the price right now is largely a selloff of perceived worthless stock.

In the long run I think Cryptic's goal is to put the focus entirely on the current/new box each time
    and make it even more expensive to get those items right away.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

edited June 2016
    Holy market crash batman! Just got 5 leeches for ~18 million each. :o
    wtf.jpg
  • fiberteksyfirfiberteksyfir Member Posts: 1,207 Arc User
    I feel like this is really another step for console implementation. I had mentioned (somewhere) i was curious how the console players will be handled in regards to previous lockboxes.. and this is definitely the answer. Either way yea, i lost a bit of ec myself here but it makes alts a little more viable now too if you ask me, it wont cost hundreds of millions of ec for me to outfit them anymore with some of this stuff (I figure lockbox related items with last nights prices would run closer to 100 mil now, probably less as time goes on). The downside is if you want less desireable stuff in the future it night not be as easily available because nobody will waste a key on it.