test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Will Agents of Yesterday be the best expansion ever?

1235»

Comments

• hugin1205hugin1205 Member Posts: 489 Arc User
    I tried to test it on tribble.
    For a week or two I only got "your Version doesn't match" - but game refused to patch.
    Then finally I logged on, made a new character. After less than 5 minutes the Body was Underground, only the head above and I was stuck in shooter mode - hitting "B" had no effect, so I couldn'T even type "/ stuck". I figured I'll wait till the Bugs will make the holo Server :innocent:

12 of my 17 toons are KDF side (including Romulans) - so it won'T be a GREAT Expansion for me. And no Expansion will beat the Romulan one - unless it's playable Cardassians :smiley:
    That said: I don't think it's horrible or anything. It'll bring some new Content, ships, missions,....so it'll be allright.
    18 characters
    KDF: 2 tacs, 2 engs, 3 scis
    KDF Roms: 3 tacs, 1 eng, 1 scis
    FED: 2 tacs, 1 eng, 2 scis
    TOS: 1 tac
    all on T5 rep (up to temporal)
    all have mastered Intel tree (and some more specs Points)
    highest DPS: 60.982
  • generalbannon07generalbannon07 Member Posts: 41 Arc User
    I haven't tested it on tribble, but I have the strong feeling that this expansion will TRIBBLE up the last bit of immersion on every social zone and queue with chars and ships floating around from 3 or more different centuries.
    t643t0.jpg

Original join date: Jul 2008
  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,913 Arc User
    I haven't had much of a problem with any of the expansions. I play the content as it comes out and take it as-is, as long as there aren't any game-breaking bugs in it.

Some of my toons haven't even been through the Idiot War yet, or DR. I have ten toons (one about to be deleted). Only one or two have done everything to date and are just chilling on Risa right now. Well, they're all (except the one slated for deletion) chilling and I do the events with whichever one I feel like playing at any given time.

I look forward to AoY and will be making a TOS character, like I made a DR character (who, strangely enough, hasn't been through DR yet, but she will be.)

I'm also one of the ones who usually flies around in the alien ships, mostly because I just can't afford the c-store ships except once in awhile, and then I have to pick and choose carefully, because it will be another great while before I would be able to buy another.

I put aside most everything when I see people in non-ST ships. We fly what we like, and there isn't anything wrong with it. It's a game, games are for distractions and escaping from the real world occasionally. I'm also one who spends an awful lot of time playing it, because I enjoy it, warts and all. It does no good to complain about things that I myself find trivial. I just take the new stuff as it comes.

Like another has said (azrael) "I haven't been upset about any of the expansions yet. Don't much care about dumb forum histrionics over nothing." This one small post said it all for me. While some things have been annoying, it hasn't been so annoying that I would come here and endlessly complain about it over several threads and call people names if they disagreed with me.

What I mostly do here on the forums is try to help others who have questions. No question is dumb if the asker doesn't know the answer to it. Even if they could get the answer by going to the wiki or searching for a thread that might have already been started on the subject.

All in all, I have enjoyed most all the content this game offers. But I'm more easy to please than most.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    To me the immersion issue with alien ships around ESD isn't that there are aliens ships there - its one of the trade hubs of the entire galaxy and it ought to be an incredibly cosmopolitan place in my head-canon. Its the sad meta knowledge that the captains and crews of those ships don't have the freedom to represent that same variety of cultures. But head-canon at least lets me pave over some of those gaps and crevices with the idea that I'm looking at a vibrant interstellar civilization and not the tyranny of root beer.
  • shurkhemolightshurkhemolight Member Posts: 399 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    azrael605 wrote: »
    Oh and this is "not" an expansion, if existing characters are locked out of it.

Existing characters aren't locked out of it. They're just not part of the faction specific arc, in much the same way you can't take your Klingon through the glorious travails of being a Romulan farmer when your colony is attacked.

Do i have to roll another toon to play the content?, while i dont play my main?, yea thats what i thought.

Never understood the concept of a "Main", I don't have one. I have 15 characters currently, I switch between them depending on my mood, I have characters from all careers and all factions.

I dont buy gold based on any concept defined as "main", shes my favorite toon, other people say "main".

I guess i dont understand it either, i also switch based on mood or just status of development, i have 7 chars.
    Maybe "prefered" or "favorite" is better, i dont know, you tell me lol.

• shurkhemolightshurkhemolight Member Posts: 399 Arc User
    captsol wrote: »
    Oh and this is "not" an expansion, if existing characters are locked out of it.

Existing characters aren't locked out of it. They're just not part of the faction specific arc, in much the same way you can't take your Klingon through the glorious travails of being a Romulan farmer when your colony is attacked.

Do i have to roll another toon to play the content?, while i dont play my main?, yea thats what i thought.

If you want to play the TOS content, yes, but not if you want to play the shared content that comes after the TOS content.

So it is still an expansion, thanks for clearing that up for me.

• hyefatherhyefather Member Posts: 1,286 Arc User
    TBH, it wouldn't take much to make it the best Expansion ever and compared to the hate I keep reading about the others, A tribble that farted torpedo's would make players love it.
  • hyefatherhyefather Member Posts: 1,286 Arc User
    Looking back on it I enjoyed most of Delta Rising. I know some people were angry with the delays between missions 55-60 level but I had no issues there.

What killed it was the bloated bags of mostly HP in the advanced queues. This was designed to force upgrade purchases - zen to dil. When that dream finally dies YEARS later I can say that DR was very nice. I enjoyed seeing some old friends.

AOY will fall like the led balloon when TOS fanatics get dumped into the 25th century after 1 hour of gameplay. It's going to make DR look like LOR.

You know what? If cryptic would have just added all those Dealta rising episodes without calling it a expansion. It would have been well appreciated, but they threw a price tag on it and added a few ships. It sort of felt like a deception in a strange way. I think cryptic should just keep adding episodes in bundles to make people feel like cryptic really is trying to make thier game great and just sell ships in packages without saying there adding the episodes because everyone gets those for free. When you give something away first then say its part of an expansion it confuses some people into thinking there getting more when they buy the exp. package. Just tell it like it is and I think people will overall like STO better.

• teknesiateknesia Member Posts: 860 Arc User
    So, we're getting new stuff. A new tutorial and insight into the general story of the game. We're getting a new class of ships and a new specialization. And it's all worth trolling Cryptic over?

This is like reading a forum from previous lottery jackpot winners about having to pay the taxes.
    edbf9204-c725-4dab-a35a-46626a4cb978.jpg
  • bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    hyefather wrote: »
    Looking back on it I enjoyed most of Delta Rising. I know some people were angry with the delays between missions 55-60 level but I had no issues there.

What killed it was the bloated bags of mostly HP in the advanced queues. This was designed to force upgrade purchases - zen to dil. When that dream finally dies YEARS later I can say that DR was very nice. I enjoyed seeing some old friends.

AOY will fall like the led balloon when TOS fanatics get dumped into the 25th century after 1 hour of gameplay. It's going to make DR look like LOR.

You know what? If cryptic would have just added all those Dealta rising episodes without calling it a expansion. It would have been well appreciated, but they threw a price tag on it and added a few ships. It sort of felt like a deception in a strange way. I think cryptic should just keep adding episodes in bundles to make people feel like cryptic really is trying to make thier game great and just sell ships in packages without saying there adding the episodes because everyone gets those for free. When you give something away first then say its part of an expansion it confuses some people into thinking there getting more when they buy the exp. package. Just tell it like it is and I think people will overall like STO better.

to be fair there is only a price tag if you buy the ships, other then that its free to play, I just wonder how much more of an uproar there would have been if you had to pay just to access the ToS missions.

although I think it is a vast exaggeration calling ToS a new faction and in fact calling the whole thing an expansion is as well if you disregard how they class these things you cant complain much about the free addition of new content, IMO I would be much more angry if I had purchased the ship pack though.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• alpharaider47#7707 alpharaider47 Member Posts: 171 Arc User
    If they let us buy all of the Kelvin stuff, it will be the most money they've made on an expansion! :smiley:
    sFfAcbR.jpg
    STO Beta Test and Launch Veteran
    That's right. You don't have to spend one red penny on this game. You can trade dilithium that costs nothing but time to grind into zen that someone else paid for, you can do Arc quests that, again, cost nothing but a bit of time to do, to get a bit more zen. let it build up and then make your purchases.

Yeah, some have already pointed out that someone else had to spend money to get the zen that's traded in the dilithium exchange. That was their choice. And if you're willing to accept the exchange rate, you trade your dil for that.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    I generally dislike TOS, but I was rather hyped to play through a full, Romulan sized TOS arc as part of the brand new TOS faction. Turns out I was either misled, or outright lied to ... so ... yep!

Agents of Yesterday is the best expansion ever and the players love it!
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
    edited June 2016
    echatty wrote: »
    That's right. You don't have to spend one red penny on this game. You can trade dilithium that costs nothing but time to grind into zen that someone else paid for, you can do Arc quests that, again, cost nothing but a bit of time to do, to get a bit more zen. let it build up and then make your purchases.

Yeah, some have already pointed out that someone else had to spend money to get the zen that's traded in the dilithium exchange. That was their choice. And if you're willing to accept the exchange rate, you trade your dil for that.

or you could choose to buy nothing from the c-store at all and just use all of your dilithium for upgrading, fleet projects if you have any left to fill and any of the many other things you can use dilithium for.
    you certainly don't have to buy c-store items unless you want to and most importantly you don't have to pay for content whether it be in the next big expansion or not.

for me it doesn't matter one way or the other if the ToS expansion is the best as long as the content is free, of course it would be good for the game overall if the expansion was something special but the devs chose to go with this mediocre offering so MEH!

• sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User

for me it doesn't matter one way or the other if the ToS expansion is the best as long as the content is free, of course it would be good for the game overall if the expansion was something special but the devs chose to go with this mediocre offering so MEH!

That's the real problem and disappointment. They had a huge opportunity here for the grand slam. Instead they bunted. Just give us a reasonable amount of TOS missions. I dunno - 15. And give us a temporally shielded TOS base of operations to visit. Tada! slam dunk homerun hat trick.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

edited June 2016

That's the real problem and disappointment. They had a huge opportunity here for the grand slam. Instead they bunted. Just give us a reasonable amount of TOS missions. I dunno - 15. And give us a temporally shielded TOS base of operations to visit. Tada! slam dunk homerun hat trick.

totally agree but that's their choice, if they choose to rush a thing out so its only mediocre or spend a little longer as they could easily have done as the official anniversary of star trek is not till September 8th and give us a grand slam that's up to them.

• darakossdarakoss Member Posts: 850 Arc User
    I generally dislike TOS, but I was rather hyped to play through a full, Romulan sized TOS arc as part of the brand new TOS faction. Turns out I was either misled, or outright lied to ... so ... yep!

Agents of Yesterday is the best expansion ever and the players love it!

Yep. The series that started it all got beat out by a bunch of peacenik Romulans.
    i-dont-always-funny-meme.jpg
    original join date 2010

Member: Team Trekyards. Visit Trekyards today!
  • snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    I haven't tested it on tribble, but I have the strong feeling that this expansion will **** up the last bit of immersion on every social zone and queue with chars and ships floating around from 3 or more different centuries.

There already are ships floating around from 3 or more different centuries. I mean, like Xindi ships, and T'Varos and Constellation class ships.

But really I want to ask a far more important question ... how did your immersion not break when Undine lockbox ships came out and humans, klingons and the like were then able to pilot bio-ships? That's some backpedaling and rationalization I really need to hear, even moreso in light of your immersion being so much more delicate when ship age is in play.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • thetaninethetanine Member Posts: 1,367 Arc User
    TOS Is Always The Best Expansion Ever ! !

AND

TNG Is Over . . . and OUT ! !

If you don't believe that, just google it. CBS and Paramount don't want to confuse NEW FANS with anything outside of the NEW STAR TREK.

GOOGLE IT ! !
    STAR TREK
    lD8xc9e.png

or you could choose to buy nothing from the c-store at all and just use all of your dilithium for upgrading, fleet projects if you have any left to fill and any of the many other things you can use dilithium for.
    you certainly don't have to buy c-store items unless you want to and most importantly you don't have to pay for content whether it be in the next big expansion or not.

You are right there. And there are c-store things I'd like to have, but which are prohibitive (for me) to just up and buy the zen for. So I try to save it up.

I do like that the content is not locked behind a paywall, like I've heard is the case for some other online games.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
  • nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    With the revelation that Cryptic and Paramount have gotten in sync and Cryptic can now dip their bucket in the Kelvin Timeline well now and in the future... yeah. Pretty much a winner for me.
  • teknesiateknesia Member Posts: 860 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    This is annoying. Delta Rising got a lot of flack and some of it well deserved because it introduced the t6 line and unlike the t5 there was no freebies (good move on Cryptic's part really), temporarily reduced dil from missions, set up level walls so that the content couldn't be accessed as readily as I think a lot of people would have liked and to boot the devs reacted really, really poorly. Geko said it was the best expansion ever and players loved it proving that he was at the moment tone deaf to the community and the EP was so arrogant at the time to even make a forum post called "THE EP SPEAKS" about why he was punishing players for exploiting a way to quicker get around the leveling that they had devised. This same punishment ended up messing over a lot of people who had nothing to do with it and soured a lot of folks.

What in the hell does AoY have to do with any of this? It's a new and awesome tutorial, brand new content, and a new quasi-faction. Did Geko perhaps oversate the case this time? Probably (but I don't know because I haven't played it yet). But really, the guy was talking off the cuff on an interview and if you want devs to continue to try and reach out to community based pod casts and to do interviews and interact with us, then calm the hell down. They do it on their own time and if all we ever do is bash them for having foot in the mouth every now and then, I can guarantee you what they won't be doing anymore which will lead to more of an insular environment at Cryptic and give us more TRIBBLE like the fore-mentioned DR debacles.

Crying about it just because some of you feel entitled to have a certain story a certain way or a faction a certain way that you don't even have to pay for in the slightest... again it's like a jackpot lotto winner that whines on and on about having to pay the taxes. You're still getting it for virtually nothing so we may as well chill out, shut up and wait to see how it unfolds. There's a line somewhere imbetween being mildly disappointed with something and acting like a TRIBBLE.
    edbf9204-c725-4dab-a35a-46626a4cb978.jpg
  • azniadeetazniadeet Member Posts: 1,871 Arc User
    azrael605 wrote: »
    When Geko made that quote he had just been looking at sales figures for DR launch day, biggest sales day they had ever had in STO, so he had every reason to say it. As for the spec exploit (because that is what it was no matter what anyone says), never caused me anything other than amusement.

The problem was that not every victim of the spec-nerf used the exploit.

• snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    Even cooler than that, is the reveal that the Encyclopedia's being revised!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]