test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Would your STO ship have marines?

There seems to always be this argument about whether Starfleet was a military organization.

As I see it, these are naval vessels and Starfleet is a giant space navy. Enterprise establishes the MACO but subsequent TV and movies have our ships guarded by red shirt fodder/security. Again, I believe there would be a mix like Reed and the MACO.

I decided when STO first came out that I would have marines on my ship. I fly a SCI guy Intrepid. I figure it made sense since if we landed the ship, docked at spaceports, had some Away Team turn bad, I could... send in the Marines. Do you have Marines on your ship? Why?

Comments

• darakossdarakoss Member Posts: 850 Arc User
    I would actually like the TMP era armored security guards.
    i-dont-always-funny-meme.jpg
    original join date 2010

Member: Team Trekyards. Visit Trekyards today!
  • ktonof1aqktonof1aq Member Posts: 210 Arc User
    Those were cool with the helmets. A buddy and I recreated that look (somewhat) on the foundry using the Romulan helmets (that they wore in TOS to save money by not making extra pointed ears). Yeah, that would be cool.
    edited June 2016
    Centurions I hear make good space debris
    original join date 2010

• farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    I usually have a MACO and Omega Boff in their gear. So I can show they are there as part of the crew. I did add an Intelligence officer, but they have on the Section 31 outfit. I do that to show I have different divisions in my crew.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    I dunno about on the smaller ships but the larger ships certainly ought to have a naval infantry detachment. With a Klingon ship shouldn't the entire crew be considered to hold a secondary assignment as naval infantry? But the Skill ReVamp removed crew as a part of the ship. So is any land combat detachment assigned to any ship now in the game now considerdd head canon?
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    Armed boarding parties :).
  • khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
    My ship has a security force that joint trains with Federation Marines
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • kamuii2kamuii2 Member Posts: 231 Arc User
    Considering I play KDF my whole ship is full of combat ready marines. :)
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    For Starfleet vessels they should be MACOs.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • ioneonioneon Member Posts: 207 Arc User
    No. Starfleet is an organization based on exploration and peace, There would be no "marines" or otherwise dedicated military combatants with the exception of shipboard security. Use ENT as an example all you like, MACOs are earth military, and those were the days before the Federation existed. No single television show or movie has ever, repeat EVER, shown a dedicated military combat force serving on board a Federation vessel.

Where were the marines when Voyager got sucked into the Delta quadrant? Where was SEAL team 6 when the BORG boarded the Enterprise D? I hate to break it to you, they didn't exist.

Starfleet holds to it's ideals on being peaceful, and as such does not carry a contingent of warriors on board, sorry to break it to you.
  • kjwashingtonkjwashington Member Posts: 2,529 Arc User
    It should be pointed out that the MACOs in Enterprise weren't a standard thing for ships. The Enterprise didn't have them until they fought the Xindi. They instead seem to be a special elite operations group (Green Berets/Spetsnaz/etc.) that is kept in reserve for such dangerous campaigns where the ship's security won't be enough (like the Xindi arc). They don't seem to be something that's typically permanently attached to a ship.
    FaW%20meme_zpsbkzfjonz.jpg
    Support 90 degree arc limitation on BFaW! Save our ships from looking like flying disco balls of dumb!
    The question wasn't if Star Trek showed Marines or a dedicated fighting force....the question was does your ship have them?
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
    Just send out these mighty Warships with minimum wage private security guards.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
    Maybe that's why they were dying almost every episode
    Your pain runs deep.
  • thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,101 Arc User
    Yes. Then gimme the damn Ent Maco Outfit.
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • kjwashingtonkjwashington Member Posts: 2,529 Arc User
    khan5000 wrote: »
    The question wasn't if Star Trek showed Marines or a dedicated fighting force....the question was does your ship have them?

I was using my point to show that since they didn't in the show, it would be weird if your ship did.

That said, if any ships were to hold a permanent detachment of special forces, it would only be the largest ships (command cruisers, flagships, carriers etc.).
    FaW%20meme_zpsbkzfjonz.jpg
    Support 90 degree arc limitation on BFaW! Save our ships from looking like flying disco balls of dumb!
  • auckaaucka Member Posts: 38 Arc User
    Actually used to debate this with my friend back in high school, just after TNG came on the air. At the time we pretty much felt that a Starfleet starship shouldn't be carrying marines as a vessel of exploration.

But Enterprise made a compelling case for a ship carrying marines. At first, Archer wasn't too keen on the idea, but by season 4 he expressed the opinion that every ship should have MACOs on it.

Given the Dominion War in the canon, and all the various wars and brush fires in STO, I'd say it would probably be a good idea to have marines aboard. I guess you never can tell what's going to pop out of that next anomaly.
  • fmgtorres1979fmgtorres1979 Member Posts: 1,327 Arc User
    Whatever for? My fleet Admiral does the away missions with four Commanders and I have some seven other (Commanders). The five people team faced klingons, tholians, romulans, voth, borg, undine, cardassians, iconians and everything else. Why would I need marines? Not even spacines.
    ioneon wrote: »
    No. Starfleet is an organization based on exploration and peace, There would be no "marines" or otherwise dedicated military combatants with the exception of shipboard security. Use ENT as an example all you like, MACOs are earth military, and those were the days before the Federation existed. No single television show or movie has ever, repeat EVER, shown a dedicated military combat force serving on board a Federation vessel.

Where were the marines when Voyager got sucked into the Delta quadrant? Where was SEAL team 6 when the BORG boarded the Enterprise D? I hate to break it to you, they didn't exist.

Starfleet holds to it's ideals on being peaceful, and as such does not carry a contingent of warriors on board, sorry to break it to you.

Starfleet did have Marines in ST6. Colonel West.
    original join date 2010

Well if you are focused on people's ships then unless RPing it is a moot point. I don't RP.
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • ikonn#1068 ikonn Member Posts: 1,449 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    ST VI shows a scene in the galley where "security" entered there when Valeres fired off a phaser. They may not be "Marines" per se, but they would serve a similar function I'd think. One had the helmet and the one that Chekov talked to did not. Both had at least some armor pieces on.

It should slso be noted that Worf was the Security Chief on the Ent-D, so at least there was some sort of security detachment on board.
    -AoP- Warrior's Blood (KDF Armada) / -AoP- Qu' raD qulbo'Degh / -AoP- Project Phoenix
  • hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    Oh, I just love these headcanon arguments... :D

Yes, I like to think my ship has a detachment of MACOs or a Hazard Team on board for when the situation demands a superior tactical solution. THIS IS MY PERSONAL HEADCANON AND IT'S BETTER THAN YOURS NA NA NA NA BOO BOO! :p
  • nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    I just like how the love boat full of civilians and their families and that... thing, named Voyager are held up as examples that define the operation of the entirety of Star Fleet's vessels. Even when other captains have made it quite plain on screen they think Picard's Enterprise is weird and maybe not a good idea/experiment at all.
  • tigrovaya13akulatigrovaya13akula Member Posts: 151 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    If I had my way, EACH of my Starships would have a contingent of Republic Clone Troopers from the 501st Legion.

Also known as Vader's Fist. >:)

clonecommand1.jpg

56308442cd32ed41f0e805dd914514df.jpg

latest?cb=20081008131234

OR, even better yet, Militarized Culture Drones >:)>:)>:)

unaha_closp_culture_drone_by_verox11.jpg

dhoge_omsi___culture_drone_by_nimaiismetana-d6tecjb.png

khan5000 wrote: »
    And I answered no, Yours can have them all you want. I just gave my reason why mine doesn't have them.
    edited June 2016
    darakoss wrote: »
    Starfleet did have Marines in ST6. Colonel West.

Who, if I remember correctly, was not on serving on a ship when we saw him. ;)

• thekodanarmada#7342 thekodanarmada Member Posts: 1,631 Arc User
    OR, even better yet, Militarized Culture Drones >:)>:)>:)

unaha_closp_culture_drone_by_verox11.jpg

dhoge_omsi___culture_drone_by_nimaiismetana-d6tecjb.png

This only works if you are a state of the art player of games considering the use of weapons.
    DInb0Vo.gif[/url][/center]
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    Erm no. That's what the Security department is for. Research organisations don't have ground assault troops.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!