test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Alliance Exploration Initiative - Mission Building Challenge

2»

Comments

• duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    drogyn1701 wrote: »
    I don't mind if you guys tweak and proofread until then. We'll likely have to extend the voting period to have some now and some after downtime.

"...since when did Apex have a climactic space battle against mirror universe Dehnis (Emporer)?" :P
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • rangerryurangerryu Member Posts: 284 Arc User
    drogyn1701 wrote: »
    I don't mind if you guys tweak and proofread until then. We'll likely have to extend the voting period to have some now and some after downtime.

"...since when did Apex have a climactic space battle against mirror universe Dehnis (Emporer)?" :P

"it was there all along,it's not my fault you weren't paying attention!"

• gethralkin1gethralkin1 Member Posts: 108 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    Resubmitting my "Lightning in a Bottle" mission after a spawn point needed correcting and left the player dropping beneath the terrain surface. Did a little proofreading as well and fixed a couple of typos and effects that weren't displaying correctly.

EDIT: After some glitch that prevented the update from publishing to Holodeck, I republished and the mission is working correctly.

EDIT 2: Logitech spotted a missing respawn point on a map that very sorely needed it.
    Post edited by gethralkin1 on
  • gethralkin1gethralkin1 Member Posts: 108 Arc User
    Any word on when the voting is to start? And how long it will last?
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    Voting is currently on (started up shortly after Foundry missions became playable again) and the deadline to PM your vote to Drogyn is July 5th.

Here's a link to the voting thread with all the details.
    http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline#/discussion/1217239/aei-mission-challenge-voting-thread
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • drogyn1701drogyn1701 Member Posts: 3,606 Media Corps
    Everyone can go ahead and fix minor issues like a respawn point here and there, and especially mission blocking issues. other than that try not to do too much editing during the voting process.
    The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
  • dragonsbrethrendragonsbrethren Member Posts: 1,854 Arc User
    I just spawned underwater without a floater volume in Lightning in a Bottle. Do you have to drop and pick up a Foundry mission when it has been republished? I picked it up last night, but only started playing maybe a half hour ago?
  • djxprimedjxprime Member Posts: 522 Arc User
    I just spawned underwater without a floater volume in Lightning in a Bottle. Do you have to drop and pick up a Foundry mission when it has been republished? I picked it up last night, but only started playing maybe a half hour ago?

Unfortunately, yes. Otherwise you would still have the old version of that mission in your mission log/queue.
    Kkerp5u.jpg?1

"No matter where you go...there you are."
    Interesting, I just assumed the server would pull the most up to date mission data when I started it.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Yeah... but no. Apparently it's some sort of file copy procedure when you publish. Apparently it compiles, adds pathing, and then moves the compiled file to the main game. Each time makes a NEW mission version.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    Makes sense. I was having fun with the mission, I'll give it another go tomorrow.
  • paxfederaticapaxfederatica Member Posts: 1,496 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    khreg wrote: »
    Defense%20Mechanisms.png

Mission title: [AEI] Defense Mechanisms
    Handle: @NCC-89471
    Faction: FED, FED|ROM
    Level requirement: Any
    Mission Summary:
    Starbase Magellan requests the player's ship for an unorthodox first-contact mission - which turns out to be more than either the player or the planet's people bargained for. Meanwhile, a certain Rigelian stellar cartographer is offered a position at Magellan with AEI...

This was a top-notch adventure! A nice balancing of challenging combat in the right places to serve plot development (not for the sake of pew-pew) with nice mystery with tense atmosphere. My only ?? is why the inclusion of Helna was important to the story. I saw it as a bookending and really couldn't see a necessary link to the rest.

Otherwise, very well done and written nicely. Just a small glitch in the transporter room at missions end where my bridge crew kept snapping back to the pads. I got past this by simply rallying them in place nearby as they're not needed for the epilogue anyway.

Fun!!

Helna has been neglected by the Foundry community for quite awhile and I figured the AEI would be a good way to reintroduce her, and encourage other authors to start using her again. I even gave Havraha (Helna's creator) a heads-up on Twitter about the AEI in case he wanted to come back to the Foundry and nominate Helna for the senior Astrophysics position (the one now filled by Jenna Romaine), but he never did. So, this was the next best thing.

As for the transporter pad issue, I think I know what was causing that - the player and BOffs were spawning at Y = 0 while the top of the pad is at Y = 0.7. So, I just raised the spawn point up to Y = 0.75.