test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[PODCAST] The Foundry Roundtable Episode 137: Exploration Exasperation

drogyn1701drogyn1701 Member Posts: 3,606 Media Corps
edited June 2016 in Starfleet Media Corps
Welcome to the Foundry Roundtable, a weekly podcast dedicated to Foundry missions, mission building and other UGC issues starring Foundry authors Drogyn1701, Markhawkman, DuncanIdaho and Greendragoon.

Watch on Youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKPniXXFy-I

Listen on Soundcloud

Subscribe on iTunes

NEWS

Agents of Yesterday announcements, including a release date
Alliance Exploration Initiative Deadline and start of voting
Taco confirms working on a new batch of assets.
ZeroniousRex also working on getting a map from an unreleased AoY mission
Neverwinter Foundry offline

IN THE FOUNDRY

Dragoon shows a map he's having issues with; seeks a fresh look
Duncan has been working on his future Numbus for SSF
Mark has been tinkering with a false exterior to be viewed from an interior map

DISCUSSION

The team helps Dragoon brainstorm with his map
What we plan to do during downtime
Challenge of coming up with ideas for exploration missions
Future Foundry Challenges
Advertising your Foundry mission

NEW FOUNDRY MISSIONS

Welcome to the Milky Way by CouncilSpectre

COMMUNITY QUESTION

What classic Star Trek video games can we learn from in making Foundry missions?

We livestream on Wednesdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable with episodes launching the following Monday.

New to the Foundry? Check out our new-author tutorial series, Foundational Foundry:

If you have a topic you'd like to see us cover, have a mission you want promoted, or would like to be a guest-host, e-mail us at FoundryRoundtable@live.com or follow us on Twitter: @FoundryRoundtab
The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable

Comments

• duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    I'm still hitting a wall on this week's community question. My list of played Star Trek games is as follows (excluding STO, naturally.)

Elite Force
    Armada (1 and 2)
    Starfleet Command (1 and 3)
    Legacy

The strategy games encourage a thoughtful approach to combat obviously. Think about selection, deployment, and how combat is varied between scenarios. Main point though may be how those scenarios are setup. The combat wasn't just a glue that held together story points but the primary attraction in those games. It had to be justified but without elaborate narratives of the sort we favor in the Foundry.

Lesson there isn't "stop writing, more shooting!" but probably to put a little thought in making a given shoot-em-up strategically compelling for its own sake (in addition to where it fits into the narrative). Repelling an attack, fine. Repelling an attack on this particular dilithium refinery because it would have significant implications for business in the sector, better.
    Post edited by duncanidaho11 on
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    I've played some of the command games a little.

I wrote a mod for Space Empires 5 to make it Star Trek themed.

Command doesn't have a lot of story. SE5 has no in-game story at all. It's a 4x game and sometimes players write stories to go with the game they're playing. That's a lot of fun, especially in multiplayer because you don't really know what's going to happen next. :)

What does any of this have to do with Foundry? not much. :/ Although the writing approach when chronicling your exploits in SE5 is pretty neat. Basically... there is no planning, you take a starting premise and build on it a step at a time... a bit like mad libs but less random.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg