test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Will Agents of Yesterday be the best expansion ever?

Comments

• markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Delta Rising had some of the coolest missions in the game. visiting the Vaadwaur homeworld? EPIC!!!!
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    talonxv wrote: »
    iconians wrote: »
    I don't have a problem with 'old ships' being able to handle end game content myself, as long as it's established that these vessels have been retrofit with modern tech. Heck, even in cannon Star Trek Lore, the Excelsior class was in service over 100 years. Wasn't Sisko serving aboard a Miranda at Wolf 359? Starfleet is well known to retrofit and keep using 'old' ships, and to me it seems feasible.

I think the Saratoga was an Excelsior-class, but yeah. I also have no problems with old ships handling end game content. Even the NX-01 in-game is a replica that was built just because the SFCE wanted to see if it could be done. I also have no problems with an end-game Connie (my stance has always been it was a FCT issue, not because I particularly was against the idea).

If somebody wants to fly a T6 Work Bee, or a T6 Botany Bay made with 1990's technology, or a T6 NASA Space Shuttle, I say let them.

Hell, if Cryptic wants to make a Mercury capsule a Small Craft built with 2410-era technology, go for it. I think everybody should fly whatever they want.​​

Nope, Saratoga was a Miranda. Here's the battle of WORF-359. You can clearly see it's a Miranda without the roll bar and a pair of phasers on the side of the pylons.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=sgAlog2eTEg

Wait?

WORF-359... ??

WTF????
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    Ultimately, the content will determine the success or failure of AOY. It' success as an expansion will be determined by how much content is made available and how good that content is. DR had many problems, but at it's core it's biggest failing is still the story line content. DR failed in pretty much everything it set out to accomplish (except selling ships) but early look at AOY looks like they have learned from it. Personally, I'm looking forward to trying it.. though I'm not all that anxious to do all the rep stuff again and grinding fleet marks and stuff end game.. but one step at a time. :)
    I don't know what content you have in mind, but I think the story content of Delta Rising was good. The problem was the level walls that we ran into. We weren't used to it, and even if we were, it's just questionable to do it that way.

I don't know what goals you think it was trying to set that it didn't accomplish. It brought us to the Delta Quadrant and let us revisit lots of the places and species that Voyager visited, while also giving us an experience with the VOY crew itself. On top of that, it finally continued the Iconian story arc by plunging us in the Vaadwaur arc, tying the Iconian Arc even back to an unresolved TNG plot line. They even created an for the game unusually morally complex story arc element with the entire Kobali/Vaadwaur/Kim subplot.

I think they did pretty well in Delta rising. I think it wasn't as good as New Romulus, particularly because ultimately I personally don't want to go on sightseeing tours, nor am I a big VOY fan. But the expansion didn't set out to hit my taste and preferences. It was there for people that wanted to visit the Delta Quadrant and see what happened since VOY was there.

Well, we'll have to respectfully disagree there.. I honestly don't think I enjoyed one single mission in the Delta Arc. The over arching story was good (the reveal about the Solane, Elachi and the Parasite attachment to the Iconians) but most of the missions were just boring filler IMO. It's hard to explain, but none of them were actually fun. I'm not just talking about the silly Patrol missions, the actual story missions were just.. flat. Silly stuff like running around doing errands for Nelix Chef, constantly getting 'tricked' by the Hierarchy and their obvious plans that no rational person would fall for.. etc. Most of the missions I just wanted to get over with and done, but again.. it's matter of opinion. I think the only one I liked was 'All that's Left Behind' because it actually furthered the over arching story.

Most people I know who play STO hated the Delta Missions, but I won't try to claim that me and a small group of friends are an indication of the majority. The overall tone of the forums even now regarding DR missions are what lead me to believe that most did not enjoy them. Again though, hardly a scientific poll.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • shurkhemolightshurkhemolight Member Posts: 399 Arc User
    Oh and this is "not" an expansion, if existing characters are locked out of it.

Existing characters aren't locked out of it. They're just not part of the faction specific arc, in much the same way you can't take your Klingon through the glorious travails of being a Romulan farmer when your colony is attacked.

Do i have to roll another toon to play the content?, while i dont play my main?, yea thats what i thought.

• captsolcaptsol Member Posts: 921 Arc User

Existing characters aren't locked out of it. They're just not part of the faction specific arc, in much the same way you can't take your Klingon through the glorious travails of being a Romulan farmer when your colony is attacked.

Do i have to roll another toon to play the content?, while i dont play my main?, yea thats what i thought.

If you want to play the TOS content, yes, but not if you want to play the shared content that comes after the TOS content.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    azrael605 wrote: »
    Never understood the concept of a "Main", I don't have one. I have 15 characters currently, I switch between them depending on my mood, I have characters from all careers and all factions.
    Some people have characters they use primarily to collect resources... They don't really try to get them good gear. Their main on the other hand flies a gold-plated ship.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • captsolcaptsol Member Posts: 921 Arc User
    Never understood the concept of a "Main", I don't have one. I have 15 characters currently, I switch between them depending on my mood, I have characters from all careers and all factions.
    Some people have characters they use primarily to collect resources... They don't really try to get them good gear. Their main on the other hand flies a gold-plated ship.

But we can't fly the gold-plated ships! I've tried! All I can do is hang them on the wall of my Ready Room. ;)
  • bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User

I agree, I have 6 characters so far 3 mains fed, kdf, rom and 3 alt fed, kdf, rom.
    my 3 alts just have the basic stuff that I have picked up through levelling and many of the later missions I will not bother to play with them, much of the wealth they acquire is transferred to my mains, for the most part I only really use them in mini events like mirror so I can get the dilithium for my mains.
    my 3 mains have lots of upgraded gear and play all of the missions, of my 3 mains I have 1 favorited that I use for getting event ships and that is my fed.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• aurigas7aurigas7 Member Posts: 488 Arc User

Not everyone has the time or desire to play the game 24/7 or go for quantity over quality. I already have more chars than I can realisticly equip with endgame gear.

Content I can't play with my existing chars is absolutely useless to me.

Vorcha_forward.jpg
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    captsol wrote: »

But we can't fly the gold-plated ships! I've tried! All I can do is hang them on the wall of my Ready Room. ;)

I though the Ferengi Battleship was gold plated.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    daveyny wrote: »
    talonxv wrote: »
    iconians wrote: »
    I don't have a problem with 'old ships' being able to handle end game content myself, as long as it's established that these vessels have been retrofit with modern tech. Heck, even in cannon Star Trek Lore, the Excelsior class was in service over 100 years. Wasn't Sisko serving aboard a Miranda at Wolf 359? Starfleet is well known to retrofit and keep using 'old' ships, and to me it seems feasible.

I think the Saratoga was an Excelsior-class, but yeah. I also have no problems with old ships handling end game content. Even the NX-01 in-game is a replica that was built just because the SFCE wanted to see if it could be done. I also have no problems with an end-game Connie (my stance has always been it was a FCT issue, not because I particularly was against the idea).

If somebody wants to fly a T6 Work Bee, or a T6 Botany Bay made with 1990's technology, or a T6 NASA Space Shuttle, I say let them.

Hell, if Cryptic wants to make a Mercury capsule a Small Craft built with 2410-era technology, go for it. I think everybody should fly whatever they want.​​

Nope, Saratoga was a Miranda. Here's the battle of WORF-359. You can clearly see it's a Miranda without the roll bar and a pair of phasers on the side of the pylons.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=sgAlog2eTEg

Wait?

WORF-359... ??

WTF????

damn it fat fingered WOLF-359....grrr.....
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • highlord83highlord83 Member Posts: 229 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    I'm looking forward to AoY. Looks fun, and the ships look awesome.

Personally, I'd have rather gone back to TNG, just so I could see Picard weep bitter tears over the existence of a thoroughbred Federation battlecruiser, combat hardened crew, and the irrelevance of his precious Shakespeare in the training of 25th Century Starfleet soldiers and officers. But thats probably just me.
    "So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again."
    -Dedication plaque of the Federation Starship U.S.S. Merkava
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    highlord83 wrote: »
    I'm looking forward to AoY. Looks fun, and the ships look awesome.

Personally, I'd have rather gone back to TNG, just so I could see Picard weep bitter tears over the existence of a thoroughbred Federation battlecruiser, combat hardened crew, and the irrelevance of his precious Shakespeare in the training of 25th Century Starfleet soldiers and officers. But thats probably just me.

That can be next year with the 30th year anniversary of TNG. It is not like STO will be around for its 50th year anniversary.
  • nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    The nice thing about these kind of systems is all 6 of my captains have the ships, gear, and specialization points they deserve for the amount I'm willing to play and pay.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    Where do you think this game is going? We will be visiting the various Eras of Star Trek in the future. The Mechanism will be in place. The new Series is supposedly likewise - self contained Seasons bouncing about through various Eras of Star Trek, maybe between ST-TUC and TNG, etc. They however, will just be shows set there and not with any Temporal gimmicks.

My speculation.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    nikeix wrote: »
    The nice thing about these kind of systems is all 6 of my captains have the ships, gear, and specialization points they deserve for the amount I'm willing to play and pay.

Same here, I already have several T6 ships that I don't even fly. I have more ships then characters by far..

I'm perfectly content to just enjoy the new free content and take a pass on the new ships. I'll make a AOY Recruit, enjoy the story line and then either just delete them or throw them into one of the many ships I already own.

AOY is bringing a lot of stuff including new ships, reputation, specialization, etc. That's all great.. but the only part I'm really looking forward to is the story missions.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • aurigas7aurigas7 Member Posts: 488 Arc User
    When and where did I claim to play 24/7? Even if I wanted to I couldn't, I have a job, children, wife, etc. I average about 2-4 hours of playtime a day. As for the quality of my characters, not a single one has any equipment below Mk XII VR, most have several pieces at Mk XIV, and a couple have all of their gear at XIV.

Well, that's a lot more time than I can or want to spend playing a computer game. Currently I've got a few days off and the weather is TRIBBLE so I play a lot more. Usually I play a bit on weekends and maybe one or two other days of the week.

I finished the last CE event on just one char. To complete the current summer event will be a real challenge.

No need to goldplate everything, but at least one ship completely upgraded to mk XIV for every char is something I would like to achieve. And that will take quite some time.
    For my main I want ultra rare or better equipment, which is a major pain in the backside. (warpcore done, now weapons, ugh)

If they release Cardassians in two years I will be ready. ;)

Vorcha_forward.jpg
  • indyguycb77indyguycb77 Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    It better be all patrol missions. We have never had a expansion like that. Ohhh wait forgot about Delta Rising
  • scrooge69scrooge69 Member Posts: 1,108 Arc User
    FORGET it risa rising is already the best event ever and players love it
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • scrooge69scrooge69 Member Posts: 1,108 Arc User
    @azrael605 my main is EQed with all epic MK14 gear while my 10 other toons are not

way too expoensive so i focus on one
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • shurkhemolightshurkhemolight Member Posts: 399 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    Ultimately, the content will determine the success or failure of AOY. It' success as an expansion will be determined by how much content is made available and how good that content is. DR had many problems, but at it's core it's biggest failing is still the story line content. DR failed in pretty much everything it set out to accomplish (except selling ships) but early look at AOY looks like they have learned from it. Personally, I'm looking forward to trying it.. though I'm not all that anxious to do all the rep stuff again and grinding fleet marks and stuff end game.. but one step at a time. :)
    I don't know what content you have in mind, but I think the story content of Delta Rising was good. The problem was the level walls that we ran into. We weren't used to it, and even if we were, it's just questionable to do it that way.

I don't know what goals you think it was trying to set that it didn't accomplish. It brought us to the Delta Quadrant and let us revisit lots of the places and species that Voyager visited, while also giving us an experience with the VOY crew itself. On top of that, it finally continued the Iconian story arc by plunging us in the Vaadwaur arc, tying the Iconian Arc even back to an unresolved TNG plot line. They even created an for the game unusually morally complex story arc element with the entire Kobali/Vaadwaur/Kim subplot.

I think they did pretty well in Delta rising. I think it wasn't as good as New Romulus, particularly because ultimately I personally don't want to go on sightseeing tours, nor am I a big VOY fan. But the expansion didn't set out to hit my taste and preferences. It was there for people that wanted to visit the Delta Quadrant and see what happened since VOY was there.

Most of the people who complain about grind or leveling walls in this game have never played an MMO with any "real" grind in it, i dont even consider dilithium to be that much of a grind.

Gamers now want it all yesterday, i just want it to "work" not be bugged, something Cryptic cant seem to do or just doesn't care about, after 6+ yrs i dont ever expect to see this change.

I found the leveling walls to be worth nothing more than a shrug, in FF11 back in the day it took upwards of a year just to hit the level 75 cap, this game?, just a shrug.

Some know it all IT expert tried to tell me that game had bugs too, i am here to tell anyone that if it had a bug "all" 32 servers were talking about it, thats how insanely rare bugs in that game were.

• nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    I only played through the Delta plotline after my characters were already well past the leveling walls (and had fairly robust level 60 ships). Some of the ground missions were a bit tedious, and some of 2-of-38s hand-wringing nonsense got old, but mostly I enjoyed the view as I toured the region in style. I have a couple characters who go out and do one patrol or mission each day to collect the daily mark bonus. It's pretty leisurely.
  • sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    I only played through the Delta plotline after my characters were already well past the leveling walls (and had fairly robust level 60 ships). Some of the ground missions were a bit tedious, and some of 2-of-38s hand-wringing nonsense got old, but mostly I enjoyed the view as I toured the region in style. I have a couple characters who go out and do one patrol or mission each day to collect the daily mark bonus. It's pretty leisurely.

My main was the first through the Delta stuff and took the slow lane.... Man was that painful.

None of my other alts will be going through it, except maybe my AoY character if the rewards are good enough.
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    sunfrancks wrote: »

My main was the first through the Delta stuff and took the slow lane.... Man was that painful.

None of my other alts will be going through it, except maybe my AoY character if the rewards are good enough.
    Since the release of DR, a few things have changed. The level requirements have been lowered, the Admiralty system has been added - unless you skip a lot of the previous missions, you might find that a new character will encounter no level barriers anymore.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.