test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Will Agents of Yesterday be the best expansion ever?

Comments

• breadandcircusesbreadandcircuses Member Posts: 2,355 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    In my estimation, Agents of Yesterday will be the second-best expansion ever, and as a player I will enjoy it. It is too heavily focused upon the faction that is already heavily focused upon, so I'll probably just end up making one TOSFed and calling it good. Then again, the same things that make Agents of Yesterday less appealing to me makes its assets better for Fed-primary players, so in the end it's simply a matter of preference. Of course, I will be making another character for Agents of Yesterday simply to enjoy it for what it is, though I do wish it could have been more. Still, it's not out yet, so it could be...

Legacy of Romulus, while requiring an ally mechanic, did actually create a most of what I'd consider a faction. We gained a good chunk of missions, exclusive powers/ships/species, the completion (at long last) of a proper level arc for the KDF, and more. There was real "meat" on that expansion, giving me a solid incentive to make quite a few more characters... and honestly, I really like making new characters to try different things with. With much of STO being focused on "endgame", Legacy of Romulus did a great job of giving us something different than Fed or KDF gameplay to try out (even when attached to either). It's pretty much the standard by which I judge the contents of any Expansion, and not just because it was the first Expansion released for STO.

Delta Rising was, for me, hobbled by progression issues; between constant roadblocks for all of my then level 50's actually trying to play the episode arc and the whole Tau Dewa Patrol fiasco (which I missed out on specifically because I was foolishly trying to get through the episode arc :tongue:)... I've never actually finished the episodes in Delta Rising. I couldn't level at a pace to run the episodes because I was actually trying to run the episodes, so I just went back to my old haunts and wrote it off. Seriously, I can't even run Bug Hunt because I can't be bothered to return to the Delta Quadrant anymore. As I mentioned earlier, I also like making new characters... so releasing pseudo-level 95 didn't really help my impression at the time, nor did the 5/2/2 breakdown of the initial release of T6 ships. Much of this has been addressed at this point, credit and :cookie: where due (though it'd be really nice to have a full Intel line for KDF/Rom captains), but the Expansion itself still ranks lowest of the three in my estimation.
    Ym9x9Ji.png
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    I do not like Geko ether.
    iconians wrote: »
    With each passing day I wonder if I stepped into an alternate reality. The Cubs win the world series. Donald Trump is President. Britain leaves the EU. STO gets a dedicated PvP season. Engineers are "out of control" in STO.​​
  • gradiigradii Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    ltminns wrote: »
    Similar to the Romulan Faction? You mean get a bunch of ships, 20+ Missions, a bunch of costumes, and then they forget about you forever more?

68918439.jpg

"He shall be my finest warrior, this generic man who was forced upon me.
    Like a badass I shall make him look, and in the furnace of war I shall forge him.
    he shall be of iron will and steely sinew.
    In great armour I shall clad him and with the mightiest weapons he shall be armed.
    He will be untouched by plague or disease; no sickness shall blight him.
    He shall have such tactics, strategies and machines that no foe will best him in battle.
    He is my answer to cryptic logic, he is the Defender of my Romulan Crew.
    He is Tovan Khev... and he shall know no fear."
  • aurigas7aurigas7 Member Posts: 488 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    After consulting my chrystal ball I can tell the following: I won't create a new alt just to grind all the reps again. And I wish I could shoot every bloody TRIBBLE showing up in a centuries old tin can for endgame content.
    Vorcha_forward.jpg
  • jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    As for the topic "Will Agents of Yesterday be the best expansion ever?" simple answer

No

The best expansion being LoR the worst DR this one? will fall flat on its face, as a cheap money grab as in cryptic and pwe cashing in on the 50th so making a "faction" geared towards the whales "the AoY pack".

so no not the best and might wind up being the worst
  • captsolcaptsol Member Posts: 921 Arc User
    hanover2 wrote: »
    Dear god, the pedantic, nitpicky nerd rage. I forget sometimes that I'm on a Trek board.

But with all that nerd rage how can you? ;)
  • shurkhemolightshurkhemolight Member Posts: 399 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    lianthelia wrote: »
    tom61sto wrote: »
    TOS a new faction? That's stretching the definition of faction. At 60 you're gonna be in the same ships and at the same homeworld as Fed is now, so no.

You mean level 10. :/

Shucks...you done beat me to it! lol
    It's the first expansion I've spent money on. So it's already the best expansion ever!

Yup...to many blind fool just tossing money at this no effort expansion because of 3 simple letter Tee Ohh Ess...even though this is probably the worst expansion by far when it comes to effort and content...BY FAR!

But hey...it's TOS and it has just about as many ships as it does missions added...but lets just blindly toss our money at the screen...because who cares about quality when I can fly my nostalgic 200 year old ships around.

The whole thing makes me roll my eyes, except for the T6 Temporal ships, even stretching the imagination 140yr old 23rd century ships shouldn't be able to take down anything we currently fight at cap level.

Cant wait to see these fossils taking out entire borg cube groups in one pass. B)

They should all be totally unplayable agains't those current enemies, and eaten alive.

• talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    Good expansion...yeah it's good, best ever...no. Though not indepth enough if you ask me.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    TOS a new faction? That's stretching the definition of faction. At 60 you're gonna be in the same ships and at the same homeworld as Fed is now, so no.

It's the first expansion I've spent money on. So it's already the best expansion ever!

Yup...to many blind fool just tossing money at this no effort expansion because of 3 simple letter Tee Ohh Ess...even though this is probably the worst expansion by far when it comes to effort and content...BY FAR!

But hey...it's TOS and it has just about as many ships as it does missions added...but lets just blindly toss our money at the screen...because who cares about quality when I can fly my nostalgic 200 year old ships around.

The whole thing makes me roll my eyes, except for the T6 Temporal ships, even stretching the imagination 140yr old 23rd century ships shouldn't be able to take down anything we currently fight at cap level.

Cant wait to see these fossils taking out entire borg cube groups in one pass. B)

They should all be totally unplayable agains't those current enemies, and eaten alive.

Wait, so you're prepared to be a-OK on believing you can not only fly Temporal ships from centuries in the future, but that your 25th century current ships can easily hold their own against those 27th century ships (and have done so in story content already in the game)?

But flip that around and put a temporal agency in charge of disguising your ship to LOOK 23rd century, and suddenly now you think it can't be done?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    My Xindi Narcine Dreadnough Carrier picks its teeth with Borg cubes and looks good doing it. :wink:
  • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    Honestly, it's going to be hard to top Legacy of Romulus as best expansion. Legacy of Romulus was inspired, Legacy of Romulus was made with passion and love. You could easily tell playing Legacy of Romulus that this was something Cryptic had wanted to do for a very long time.

More importantly, Legacy of Romulus gave us something that DR and AoY has failed to do. It gave us something new and we hadn't seen before.

Delta Rising on the other hand came off as an obligatory expansion. While there was some obvious passion and fervor with its development (similar to LoR), it always struck me as "the obligatory sequel that we had to do" rather than a labor of love.

But maybe my romulan bias is showing again.

I can say I would enjoy AoY a lot more if they had TOS-era Klingons and TOS-era Romulans, even if it was a half-assed attempt. But to me AoY seems more "inspired" than Delta Rising, and honestly seems to have some outside-the-box thinking that I think STO needs. Even if I'm not particularly ecstatic over AoY, I am cautiously optimistic it pulls in enough cash that an expansion more relevant to my interests will be underway, and will be done in a similar manner of LoR even if it fails to duplicate its success.

LoR: "OMG I finally get to fly a D'Deridex warbird and be a Romulan without using the alien generator!"

DR: "OMG I... get to pay $5 more for a ship I already have with a slightly different skin and bridge officer layout... ???"

AoY: "OMG I... get to have TOS-era stuff that I already got from my STO preorder DLC and the numerous missions already in the game that already has TOS-era stuff...??? And temporal ships that... I already have in the form of the Wells, Mobius, Paradox, Krenim ships...? But these are... different... ish? BUT OMG RAINBOWS"​​
    ExtxpTp.jpg
    azrael605 wrote: »
    Then shouldn't you be starting with all the people flying Xindi Ships? No worries though, I'll make 2 new characters to make up for you.

Sure ! And all those other lockbox abominations, too ! But since I can't send them home by pod-express, I guess I have to shrug it off and empty my glass once more.

Oh, and in case you bought one of those bundles: thanks for paying the hamsters.

Vorcha_forward.jpg
  • sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    Honestly, it's going to be hard to top Legacy of Romulus as best expansion. Legacy of Romulus was inspired, Legacy of Romulus was made with passion and love. You could easily tell playing Legacy of Romulus that this was something Cryptic had wanted to do for a very long time.

More importantly, Legacy of Romulus gave us something that DR and AoY has failed to do. It gave us something new and we hadn't seen before.

Delta Rising on the other hand came off as an obligatory expansion. While there was some obvious passion and fervor with its development (similar to LoR), it always struck me as "the obligatory sequel that we had to do" rather than a labor of love.

But maybe my romulan bias is showing again.

I can say I would enjoy AoY a lot more if they had TOS-era Klingons and TOS-era Romulans, even if it was a half-assed attempt. But to me AoY seems more "inspired" than Delta Rising, and honestly seems to have some outside-the-box thinking that I think STO needs. Even if I'm not particularly ecstatic over AoY, I am cautiously optimistic it pulls in enough cash that an expansion more relevant to my interests will be underway, and will be done in a similar manner of LoR even if it fails to duplicate its success.

LoR: "OMG I finally get to fly a D'Deridex warbird and be a Romulan without using the alien generator!"

DR: "OMG I... get to pay $5 more for a ship I already have with a slightly different skin and bridge officer layout... ???"

AoY: "OMG I... get to have TOS-era stuff that I already got from my STO preorder DLC and the numerous missions already in the game that already has TOS-era stuff...??? And temporal ships that... I already have in the form of the Wells, Mobius, Paradox, Krenim ships...? But these are... different... ish? BUT OMG RAINBOWS"​​

Hey, you will taste that rainbow and like it! ;)
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

Wait, so you're prepared to be a-OK on believing you can not only fly Temporal ships from centuries in the future, but that your 25th century current ships can easily hold their own against those 27th century ships (and have done so in story content already in the game)?

But flip that around and put a temporal agency in charge of disguising your ship to LOOK 23rd century, and suddenly now you think it can't be done?

yes i am prepeared to be ok with it, i didn't come up with this content, didn't suggest it, or anything else like it.

So yes again, im OK with it. however you want to look at it.

Do you have such a Bias against the Xindi, Andorian, and Vulcan ships already in the game? All designs even older than the TOS era.

See above, and it isn't bias, it's my opinion, just like you have one.

Ill say it again, they should be eaten alive.
    Oh and this is "not" an expansion, if existing characters are locked out of it.

And no, perks dont cut it, this is just Delta Recruit with a new coat of paint.

Anyway, Davey and some other folks will be tickled to fly their TOS ships, look for the silver linings i guess.

Have fun with your 140yr old classic rides.
  • snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    Oh and this is "not" an expansion, if existing characters are locked out of it.

Existing characters aren't locked out of it. They're just not part of the faction specific arc, in much the same way you can't take your Klingon through the glorious travails of being a Romulan farmer when your colony is attacked.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • captsolcaptsol Member Posts: 921 Arc User
    aurigas7 wrote: »
    After consulting my chrystal ball I can tell the following: I won't create a new alt just to grind all the reps again. And I wish I could shoot every bloody **** showing up in a centuries old tin can for endgame content.

Then shouldn't you be starting with all the people flying Xindi Ships? No worries though, I'll make 2 new characters to make up for you.

Hey, hey! To be fair the Primate Dread is totally new so we don't know how old it is. ;)
  • farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    LOR was good for what it brought. You have all kinds of new ships to work with. Most important was the story. That was a real in depth story and perhaps one of the best ones. It really set the bar with it comes to future expansions. Even the new Rep that came with it was excellent. As it progressed the story and allow you to explore the area around New Romulus.

DR comes in second for me. It was really good to see those groups from Voyager and to catch up with them to see how they was doing. The story was good as it got you caught up to speed and had you all over the place exploring and doing stuff. Most didn't like how they was "held" back on fast leveling. But I didn't mind it much. The side missions was good from the main arc. As it provided story to go with it. And made it look like time was allowed for the next plan of action or find new information. Instead of like here, now go, go, go. The grinding the levels at the end was getting rough, but I got a lot of DR points out of it. And made a lot of $ in EC and Dil. But this was only for the ones at Lv50 when DR hits. I got some lower alts that is like lv55 and they hadn't done the Dyson story arc.

As for AOY. We don't know fully what they are bringing out. They only told us bits and pieces. We got rumors there is only a few missions then your in the regular Arcs like the rest. Then we getting word that is only part of the story. This is why I'm on the fence. Its too early to see if it will be good or bad yet. I just want a good story that will take us from Lv1-60 and don't have to redo all those arcs. Only touch some of them along the way as to help out key events. And for the Reps have a story part to go with them to open them as well. It can be done this way so we don't have to redo all those arcs.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    I don't have a problem with 'old ships' being able to handle end game content myself, as long as it's established that these vessels have been retrofit with modern tech. Heck, even in cannon Star Trek Lore, the Excelsior class was in service over 100 years. Wasn't Sisko serving aboard a Miranda at Wolf 359? Starfleet is well known to retrofit and keep using 'old' ships, and to me it seems feasible.

I liken it to taking a hot rod from the 60's, putting fuel injection in it, adding Air Conditioning, a modern sound system, etc. No one would say that car couldn't hang with a new model, just needs some work to bring it ' up to date.' A star ship is something that's always struck me as having a very long period of service. If anything, the part I find 'unrealistic' is that in this game, Star Fleet comes out with a new ship every 2-3 months, but again.. it's something I have to just take with a grain of salt because the game has to make money and ships sell.

Ultimately, the content will determine the success or failure of AOY. It' success as an expansion will be determined by how much content is made available and how good that content is. DR had many problems, but at it's core it's biggest failing is still the story line content. DR failed in pretty much everything it set out to accomplish (except selling ships) but early look at AOY looks like they have learned from it. Personally, I'm looking forward to trying it.. though I'm not all that anxious to do all the rep stuff again and grinding fleet marks and stuff end game.. but one step at a time. :)
    Insert witty signature line here.
    I don't have a problem with 'old ships' being able to handle end game content myself, as long as it's established that these vessels have been retrofit with modern tech. Heck, even in cannon Star Trek Lore, the Excelsior class was in service over 100 years. Wasn't Sisko serving aboard a Miranda at Wolf 359? Starfleet is well known to retrofit and keep using 'old' ships, and to me it seems feasible.

I think the Saratoga was an Excelsior-class, but yeah. I also have no problems with old ships handling end game content. Even the NX-01 in-game is a replica that was built just because the SFCE wanted to see if it could be done. I also have no problems with an end-game Connie (my stance has always been it was a FCT issue, not because I particularly was against the idea).

If somebody wants to fly a T6 Work Bee, or a T6 Botany Bay made with 1990's technology, or a T6 NASA Space Shuttle, I say let them.

Hell, if Cryptic wants to make a Mercury capsule a Small Craft built with 2410-era technology, go for it. I think everybody should fly whatever they want.​​
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User

I think the Saratoga was an Excelsior-class, but yeah. I also have no problems with old ships handling end game content. Even the NX-01 in-game is a replica that was built just because the SFCE wanted to see if it could be done. I also have no problems with an end-game Connie (my stance has always been it was a FCT issue, not because I particularly was against the idea).

If somebody wants to fly a T6 Work Bee, or a T6 Botany Bay made with 1990's technology, or a T6 NASA Space Shuttle, I say let them.

Hell, if Cryptic wants to make a Mercury capsule a Small Craft built with 2410-era technology, go for it. I think everybody should fly whatever they want.​​

Nope, Saratoga was a Miranda. Here's the battle of WORF-359. You can clearly see it's a Miranda without the roll bar and a pair of phasers on the side of the pylons.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=sgAlog2eTEg
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
    talonxv wrote: »

Hell, if Cryptic wants to make a Mercury capsule a Small Craft built with 2410-era technology, go for it. I think everybody should fly whatever they want.

Nope, Saratoga was a Miranda. Here's the battle of WORF-359. You can clearly see it's a Miranda without the roll bar and a pair of phasers on the side of the pylons.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=sgAlog2eTEg

Oh hey, you're right. Guess I should have double checked with Memory Alpha.​​
    ExtxpTp.jpg
    Oh hey, you're right. Guess I should have double checked with Memory Alpha.​​

Guess you had the Lakota in mind, the Excelsior refit that fought the Defiant.

In the end all this time travelling can explain nearly everything. The T6 Connie is a disguised 23353th century ship with the appearance of a Connie ... ! Ya really !
    Concept in itself has hughe potential. As temporal agents we can fight in all major battles from all TV shows.
    Chintoca, Wolf 359 and so on.

There will be prolly some new mission content open to existing chars, too. Thats good, and I will definately play it for free. But I don't really see how this could encourage me to spend money on the game. I already have 3 Fed chars (one for each carerer)

Vorcha_forward.jpg
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    Either way, the Excelsior and the Miranda class are both prime examples of old ships still being able to handle the modern action.

In the end, I agree with Iconians, it's a feasable concept so if people want it.. I'm cool with them getting it. Personally, I want a shiny new 'modern' ship that looks sleek and impressive, so that's what I fly. If however, someone else would rather use an end game Miranda, Constitution, Excelsior, whatever.. it's cool with me. The big issue of course is PWE clearing it with CBS but that's another issue.

Personally, I'll take an end game Excelsior or Ambassador class over an Iconian/Undine/Voth/etc ship any day. It's silly to say that a 23rd century ship makes no sense, but I'm supposed to accept that Federation Officers would fly around in alien ships. But again, if people want to fly those.. then great. I just ignore them and go about my day.

In the end, they're not hurting me, so let them have what they want. Same with AOY, if people want to stay with 23rd century ships end game.. then great.. have fun.
    Insert witty signature line here.
    edited June 2016
    aurigas7 wrote: »
    Oh hey, you're right. Guess I should have double checked with Memory Alpha.

Guess you had the Lakota in mind, the Excelsior refit that fought the Defiant.

In the end all this time travelling can explain nearly everything. The T6 Connie is a disguised 23353th century ship with the appearance of a Connie ... ! Ya really !
    Concept in itself has hughe potential. As temporal agents we can fight in all major battles from all TV shows.
    Chintoca, Wolf 359 and so on.

There will be prolly some new mission content open to existing chars, too. Thats good, and I will definately play it for free. But I don't really see how this could encourage me to spend money on the game. I already have 3 Fed chars (one for each carerer)

I had to double-check. I was thinking of the Melbourne.​​
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    Ultimately, the content will determine the success or failure of AOY. It' success as an expansion will be determined by how much content is made available and how good that content is. DR had many problems, but at it's core it's biggest failing is still the story line content. DR failed in pretty much everything it set out to accomplish (except selling ships) but early look at AOY looks like they have learned from it. Personally, I'm looking forward to trying it.. though I'm not all that anxious to do all the rep stuff again and grinding fleet marks and stuff end game.. but one step at a time. :)
    I don't know what content you have in mind, but I think the story content of Delta Rising was good. The problem was the level walls that we ran into. We weren't used to it, and even if we were, it's just questionable to do it that way.

I don't know what goals you think it was trying to set that it didn't accomplish. It brought us to the Delta Quadrant and let us revisit lots of the places and species that Voyager visited, while also giving us an experience with the VOY crew itself. On top of that, it finally continued the Iconian story arc by plunging us in the Vaadwaur arc, tying the Iconian Arc even back to an unresolved TNG plot line. They even created an for the game unusually morally complex story arc element with the entire Kobali/Vaadwaur/Kim subplot.

I think they did pretty well in Delta rising. I think it wasn't as good as New Romulus, particularly because ultimately I personally don't want to go on sightseeing tours, nor am I a big VOY fan. But the expansion didn't set out to hit my taste and preferences. It was there for people that wanted to visit the Delta Quadrant and see what happened since VOY was there.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.