Hello and welcome to the Alliance Exploration Initiative mission building challenge, sponsored by the Foundry Roundtable.
From the date of this post, authors will have 5 weeks to create their missions, after which there will be 3 weeks for the community to play through and cast their vote for the winner. The winner will be determined by a majority vote.
The mission creation deadline is 5 p.m. (U.S. Pacific Time) Friday, June 17. The voting deadline is 5 p.m. Tuesday, July 5.Challenge Topic:
For this Foundry challenge, create a mission about exploration!
Seek out new worlds and new civilizations in a previously unexplored part of the galaxy. There are only two other requirements:
- Add [AEI] in front of your mission title to denote that it is part of the Alliance Exploration Initiative mission series. This allows players to easily search for the series’ missions.
- Start the mission at the Archer System in the Narendra Sector of the Beta Quadrant.
In keeping with the theme of this challenge, the Foundry community has helped create a new starbase, Starbase Magellan, to serve as a central hub for all these new exploration missions. Located in the Archer System, Starbase Magellan is a joint project of the Federation-Klingon-Romulan Alliance to explore the far reaches of the Beta Quadrant.
*Authors are free to use this space station in their missions or not as they choose. It is not a requirement.*
Resources to build the maps and characters for Starbase Magellan are available HERE
A lore blog detailing the story of Starbase Magellan is available HEREPrizes to be announced at a later date.Rules:
Please make sure to adhere to the Foundry EULA and the rules below.
Authors must add their mission to the official Mission Thread
including the following information.Mission Title:
The above needs to be filled out completely by the due date/ time for your mission to be considered, and your mission must be published in-game at such time to be considered -- unfortunately, any mission that cannot be found in-game by the time the voting starts will be removed from this entry thread.
If you are unable to push the "publish" button at this time due to timezones/ work schedules, please wait until the latest possible moment before this day/time. Also, if you need to publish your mission to test things, that is fine too, but please make sure to unpublish after testing is complete.
Rules of the challenge:
- The challenge will run for 8 weeks total, 5 to build the missions and 3 for the community to play and vote. If there is any unscheduled lengthy downtime during the challenge, the deadlines will be extended by the appropriate time.
- There are no right or wrong stories to tell, as long as the mission is about exploration in some way.
- Since there has been a long build up to this challenge, we will be more lenient on ideas and work done prior to the start date. However, In the spirit of the competition, we hope that you are doing the majority of the work within the 5-week challenge period.
- Missions should take 30-45 minutes for a player to complete, in order to make sure players can play through all the missions in a reasonable amount of time.
- Once the mission is published, it should not be withdrawn, even temporarily. The only exception to this would be if for some reason players are saying they can't complete it and you need to fix something so they can. If you find spelling mistakes, feel free to fix them only after the competition ends. In general, we want all the voters to be considering the same version of your mission.
- Voting: when the 5-week build period ends, a voting thread will be posted with the information on all submitted missions. When you have played through the missions and selected your favorite, send a forum PM to @drogyn1701. This will serve as your official vote. Limit 1 vote per person.
- In the event of a tie, @duncanidaho11’s cat has been chosen as the impartial tie-breaking judge.
- You may leave a review on each mission you play if you wish, but it is not required.
A few other important reminders:
- Please heed the Foundry's EULA when submitting your entry! This applies to any mission made in the foundry. THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT!
- Each author may only have one entry, no matter how many accounts they have.
- We'll have three threads: One to discuss the entries (this one), one to submit entries, and one later with the official entries list for voting.
The Alliance Exploration Initiative is an ongoing mission series. Missions may be created for this exploration series at any time after the challenge has concluded. Authors will be free to use the resources provided here to continue making great exploration missions for players to experience. Several missions have already been published for the project. Check them out by searching for [AEI] or visiting the Archer System.