test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[PODCAST] Tribbles in Ecstasy Take 221: "Sunny Dispositions" (w/Giveaways)

midniteshadow7midniteshadow7 Member Posts: 787 Arc User
Tribbles in Ecstasy Take 221: "Sunny Dispositions" has warped on to Holosuite Media, you can download and stream it from:
Tribbles221.png

Another week full of discussions on Star Trek Online, Star Trek Timelines and just general Star Trek!

The topics discussed this week are:
  • Star Trek Online,
  • Star Trek Timelines (2:20:43),
  • Star Trek News (2:23:47),
  • Unoffcial Productions (2:41:50),
  • and lots more!

Our community questions this week are:
1. In Start Trek Online, do you think time should be spent to allow all maps to be more "exploratory"?
2. What are you looking forward to purchasing on Risa this year and do you want the Event Ship?
3. What are YOUR Star Trek memories?

Please reply to this post with any feedback you have about any topic we've covered or even about the show in general, we'd love to hear what our listeners have to say. And feedback to us now and be entered in to a prize draw to get yourself a Star Trek Online Legacy of Romulus Starter Pack, Zen and Lockbox keys. Rules are here: http://holosuitemedia.com/tiefeedbackgiveaways2016/ - Just reply to this post to enter.

Please help friend of the show and fellow Star Trek Online player and podcaster Mav with donations to support his recovery with his current health situation here: http://www.gofundme.com/tomsrecovery.

LLAP

Comments

• sunseahlsunseahl Member Posts: 827 Arc User
    For those that complain I literally say "literally" too much... this EPs for you!​​
    Member of the "Disenchanted"
    We don't want what the Feds have. We want the equivalent. We want fairer treatment. Concern, desire, greed to some extent, and passionate belief that the enough people would buy KDF items to make it worth Cryptic's while.
  • chozoelder2ndchozoelder2nd Member Posts: 440 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    Oh hey, in the 4 years that I've been playing someone other than one single person finally got that my @handle is a Metroid reference.

mr9V7.gif

1.) I love exploration. It's one of the reasons why my favorite video game franchise is Metroid. But all the maps? No. That would be a colossal undertaking. I have to side with midniteshadow7. I don't think it matters if whether or not people were "taught" into getting used to a linear behavior. I think midnite is right when he says a majority of players just aren't into it. I also don't think it would be beneficial for the game. Do I think it would be nice? Of course I do. I stopped caring about the dps numbers a long time ago. So more exploration and a break from the combat would be a plus for me. If we're talking about another New Romulus sort of map with lots of things to do and explore to earn marks or whatever kind of rewards, and it comes out for a future expansion, then that's fine. I can see something like that happening again. However, if you're asking to change all the maps (or even at least half of them) to be as large and/or as interactive as New Romulus, then you're asking for the moon. The amount of time and manpower that would take is just unfeasible. You are also asking the devs to prioritize exploration over combat, which isn't as popular. I am on the side that wants to see the game carry on and survive, not die within a year.

2.) I'm looking forward to getting swimwear for my upcoming AoY female Andorian. I've never had a female toon as I always choose male whenever a game gives me a gender choice. After a male fed, male kdf, male rom, and male delta recruit, I want to mix things up a little and go for female this time. As for my existing toons, just the female hula Gorn shirt for my Gorn. How can I not? Look at the beauty. The grace.

https://youtu.be/Fu8BGFmfBeY?t=1m42s
    BAYONETTA WHO?

Shhhh... it's ok. Just admit it. You're getting a little interspecies fever. Embrace it.

Yes. I will be getting the Vorgon ship. After looking at the stats, I was impressed. It's similar to the t6 Manticore (LTS ship). Another admiralty card for my kdf and rom couldn't hurt since I don't own a lot of ships on them. It's also looks pretty slick. I'm down with the aesthetics.

3.) Oh cool, another one.

Well, let's see. I did remember going to Star Trek: The Experience while my family and I were in Vegas on vacation.
    memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Trek:_The_Experience

I was young at the time so it definitely wasn't the same experience that my dad had. I was mostly going "Wowwww" at the large Galaxy class model that hanged overhead. My dad on the other hand basically reverted to a tiny child on Christmas. Being on the bridge of the Enterprise-D, drinking Romulan Ale at the bar served by a Ferengi bartender, visiting the gift shop to get souvenirs, all of it made it his Disneyland. My sister, my mom, and me all pretty much gave each other smiles and nods, acknowledging how much this meant for him. I'm still really saddened that it was closed down. I wish I could've gone after I was deep into Trek instead of only a little. Though I'm grateful that at the very least I managed to go unlike most fans who never had the chance.
    Post edited by chozoelder2nd on
    SP9Pu.gif
  • sunseahlsunseahl Member Posts: 827 Arc User
    I love me some Samus. You're welcome chozo! ^-^​​
    Member of the "Disenchanted"
    We don't want what the Feds have. We want the equivalent. We want fairer treatment. Concern, desire, greed to some extent, and passionate belief that the enough people would buy KDF items to make it worth Cryptic's while.
  • alex1geralex1ger Member Posts: 141 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    Howdy, tribbles.

Community questions:

1.) Let's face it, that train has left the station a long time ago.
    Besides, I mentioned before that about every other MMO has a larger dev team than STO. I mean, remember when WildStar fired 60 or 70 people? Yeah, that should tell you something about the size of STO's dev team.
    Apart from that, how exactly would you make the maps more "exploratory"?
    Do you just make them big and hide an easter egg somewhere out in the wilderness?
    Do you actually sprinkle "treasures" over the maps that players can find and loot?
    How much incentive do players need to go explore?
    How do you intend to keep the map interesting after they explored it once?

It is definitely an interesting idea and STO really needs some form of exploration content, but what kind of exploration content can Cryptic deliver?
    Then again, they have enough time and money to make the upcoming expansion oh-so-immersive and they will supposedly be swimming in money once the console versions go live, so immersion for everybody! (that means more KDF and ROM stuff, but also more exploration, more diplomacy and less 23rd century garbage scows in 2410!)

2.) Well, I usually buy new clothes (I'm a bit of a collector, have I mentioned that before?) for my main char, if there are any. I will never wear that BDSM stuff, uhm, I mean those retro swimsuits but I could if I wanted to...
    I also always get the new ship, just to have it. Account-unlocks and potentially useful ship mastery traits for the win. Oh and let's not forget the associated admiralty cards.

That reminds me... when Cryptic discontinued the Risian ships and introduced the Ferengi Nandi, didn't they give an explanation along the lines of... Risian ships are not exactly canon, but Ferengi ships are, so we'll go with something more canon now? (I wish I could find that blurp, does someone... anyone else remember them saying this?)
    How canon are Vorgon ships?

By the way, since we're talking about Risa and since Cryptic will be swimming in money when the console versions launch...
    When do we get our pet storage? I would love to buy the caracals and maybe a few other pets, but I refuse to "waste" paid-for inventory or bank slots on them.

3.) Well, we went over that question last week, so... uhm... let's mix it up a bit.
    See, I enjoy fantasy, like Lord of the Rings or Star Wars (Yes, Star Wars is space fantasy, NOT science-fiction.), but sometimes I want more than this background noise.

I like science-fiction that puts an emphasis on science. I want it to be plausible.
    My suspension of disbelief "can" accept "dinosaurs with friggin' lazors on their heads", because the Voth supposedly had dinosaur ancestors. Now, make no mistake, I probably would have changed a few of the details here and there, but in general, I can accept this stuff.
    I cannot accept the plot canyons during the Iconian War and the Temporal War or those (supposedly) 26th century ships that can use 23rd century skins.

I like the inclusiveness in Star Trek (even though it's not always as inclusive as it's supposed to be...).
    And then I remember "klingon gate" or "TRIBBLE gate" (This "L word" gets censored? Really?) or however you wanna call it and I ask myself: Do those people even like Star Trek?

I like the optimistic, hopeful message behind Star Trek because I'm a misanthrope.