test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Graphical Updates

Comments

• mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    They are bringing graphics down to the lowest common denominator, Consoles.
    No, I am fairly certain that you did not get it. At all. It's like you didn't even read the blog post.

Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,165 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    No, I am fairly certain that you did not get it. At all. It's like you didn't even read the blog post.
    Like others on here I found the after shots look far worse, pale, washed out and just overall look worse. Its not the first time they did a so called upgrade that make the graphics much worse. Hopefully its better in motion but I don't have much faith after Sector space was massively downgraded graphically on the last so called last upgrade. Also the Agents of Yesterday has more graphics downgrades like the grain effect which ruins the look of the game and hurts some peoples eyes along with making everything fuzzy. Depth of Field is so overpowering the shuttle directly in front of me was blurred and out of focus.
    Post edited by pottsey5g on
    edited June 2016
    daveyny wrote: »
    Are these effects/lights already in place with the new TOS Episodes on TRIBBLE?
    B)
    Some of the new graphics are and they look terrible, it was so bad I had to stop playing Agents of Yesterday. There are a lot of threads and posts complaining about it, even bug reports as its that bad. Others spend ages going though the graphics settings trying to figure out what's wrong.
  • jcswwjcsww Member Posts: 6,789 Arc User
    pottsey5g wrote: »
    Like others on here I found the after shots look far worse, pale, washed out and just overall look worse. Its not the first time they did a so called upgrade that make the graphics much worse. Hopefully its better in motion but I don't have much faith after Sector space was massively downgraded graphically on the last so called last upgrade. Also the Agents of Yesterday has more graphics downgrades like the grain effect which ruins the look of the game and hurts some peoples eyes along with making everything fuzzy. Depth of Field is so overpowering the shuttle directly in front of me was blurred and out of focus.

I have to agree with the Agents of Yesterday content on Tribble and especially about the shuttle, which also bothered me quite a bit.
  • superfoxyplushsuperfoxyplush Member Posts: 87 Arc User
    Will we have to update our graphics cards with the update?

Not really. The Desktop Equivalent to an XB1 or PS4 is an AMD 7870 or GTX 660. Which are approx 3 - 4 generations 'old' ( Released 2012 ) so everyone -should- be alright.
    B)
    Some of the new graphics are and they look terrible, it was so bad I had to stop playing Agents of Yesterday. There are a lot of threads and posts complaining about it, even bug reports as its that bad. Others spend ages going though the graphics settings trying to figure out what's wrong.

I thought something like this would happen when they mentioned "film grain" .. anyway, I think it's sad that they spend 6 years of doing very little and then we get a major "Update" when console release comes along. Not that they couldn't have used the money to actually bring KDF upto fed spec so consoles had equal choice of factions instead of living the same circle of "No one plays KDF so we don't make things for the faction, so no one plays the faction" instead it's the graphics, which aren't all that terrible to start with. Although from the weekly screenshots I often wonder "Do people really play the game in that dark setting" because my brightness looks more like the after shot than the before. Graphically is isn't impressing, especially when the art direction of the ships and the constant TOS-themed stuff coming out isn't pulling me to be buying.
    edited June 2016
    B)
    AFAIK, the effect you see on Tribble has nothing to do with the graphics overhaul, and only to do with the Film Grain effect they apply to the TOS maps.
    pottsey5g wrote:
    However, if you read the article:
    In part one of this series I talked about the graphical updates we’re making to Star Trek Online as we bring the game to PS4 and Xbox One. Deferred shading gives us the ability to place many more lights than we previously could. Light probes add a subtle yet powerful level of realism to the environments by adding bounced light and more accurate reflections. Now, I’d like to tell you a little about how we’re making those improvements, and show you some of the results.
    More light sources or more accurate reflections does not imply lowered standards.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
    edited June 2016
    B)
    AFAIK, the effect you see on Tribble has nothing to do with the graphics overhaul, and only to do with the Film Grain effect they apply to the TOS maps.
    pottsey5g wrote:
    In part one of this series I talked about the graphical updates we’re making to Star Trek Online as we bring the game to PS4 and Xbox One. Deferred shading gives us the ability to place many more lights than we previously could. Light probes add a subtle yet powerful level of realism to the environments by adding bounced light and more accurate reflections. Now, I’d like to tell you a little about how we’re making those improvements, and show you some of the results.
    More light sources or more accurate reflections does not imply lowered standards.
    But the screenshots and Tribble content do imply a lowering of standards. They might be adding new features but so far those new features look worse then the old features. Just look on Tribble at how blurred and fuzzy everything is or take a look at all the washed out after screenshots that look worse then the before screenshots. Or look at the last upgrade sector space which downgraded all the nebula, sun and planet graphics.
    edited June 2016
    EDIT: Double Post.
    edited June 2016
    B)
    pottsey5g wrote:
    But the screenshots and Tribble content do imply a lowering of standards. They might be adding new features but so far those new features look worse then the old features. Just look on Tribble at how blurred and fuzzy everything is or take a look at all the washed out after screenshots that look worse then the before screenshots. Or look at the last upgrade sector space which downgraded all the nebula, sun and planet graphics.

As far as I know, the timeline looks like this.
    1) Agents of Yesterday on PC
    2) Console Launch with graphical updates
    3) Graphical updates for PC.

The graphics update is not on Tribble. What you see on Tribble is the film grain effect, which Cryptic is using to give the TOS era a more authentic "old-school" look. Or at least which they are trying to use for that, obviously some people just think it's a bad effect. (But even if it's a bad effect, it's an effect that actually requires graphics power, it's not lowering standards. I believe people found that they can disable the effect - if they turn down certain graphical settings that are required to create the artificial film grain.).
    Beyond that, of course, they try to mimic the TOS feel, which means the maps tend to have less detail than we are used to.
    edited June 2016
    B)
    pottsey5g wrote:

The graphics update is not on Tribble. What you see on Tribble is the film grain effect, which Cryptic is using to give the TOS era a more authentic "old-school" look. Or at least which they are trying to use for that, obviously some people just think it's a bad effect. (But even if it's a bad effect, it's an effect that actually requires graphics power, it's not lowering standards. I believe people found that they can disable the effect - if they turn down certain graphical settings that are required to create the artificial film grain.).
    Beyond that, of course, they try to mimic the TOS feel, which means the maps tend to have less detail than we are used to.
    It is very much lowering standards as they are adding in a effect that's not in the high quality versions of TOS
    and its an effect that lowers image quality. I don't accept turning down the graphics to fix poor graphics as a sensible solution. Or to put it another way TOS HD did everything they would to remove gain as its bad but STO it going out of its way to make the graphics worse.

Its more then just the gain effect. What about all the blurred objects and out of focus objects? For example the shuttle point blank in front of you in the first mission is blurred. What about all the after screenshots that show worse washed out graphics? Far to many objects are out of focus as they have randomly placed Depth of field in places it doesn't belong.
  • fruitvendor12fruitvendor12 Member Posts: 615 Arc User

Sure I did. What I see on the screenshots looks worse than what we have now. I've allowed that once I see it in game maybe it will be better. Right now my eyes disagree with my reading comprehension.
  • breadandcircusesbreadandcircuses Member Posts: 2,355 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    B)
    pottsey5g wrote:

It is very much lowering standards as they are adding in a effect that's not in the high quality versions of TOS
    and its an effect that lowers image quality. I don't accept turning down the graphics to fix poor graphics as a sensible solution. Or to put it another way TOS HD did everything they would to remove gain as its bad but STO it going out of its way to make the graphics worse.

Its more then just the gain effect. What about all the blurred objects and out of focus objects? For example the shuttle point blank in front of you in the first mission is blurred. What about all the after screenshots that show worse washed out graphics? Far to many objects are out of focus as they have randomly placed Depth of field in places it doesn't belong.

Out of curiousity, has anyone taken a look at the rest of the game as it stands on Tribble? I know everyone is focused on looking at AoY, but iirc that won't be on console as of launch... so comparing current TOS-inspired imagery isn't a good comparison of the more "modern" content in the rest of STO. Of course, I'm asking because I'm not a Gold Member... and therefore cannot provide feedback or opinions on Tribble beyond the vids I've seen (which actually looked pretty good given the aesthetic they were aiming for, mission bugs aside). Are any of the graphics updates that we've seen in blogs even live on Tribble yet?

In any case, though, I thought AoY was supposed to look different from the rest of STO...?
    Ym9x9Ji.png
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    I do not like Geko ether.
    iconians wrote: »
    With each passing day I wonder if I stepped into an alternate reality. The Cubs win the world series. Donald Trump is President. Britain leaves the EU. STO gets a dedicated PvP season. Engineers are "out of control" in STO.​​
  • jcswwjcsww Member Posts: 6,789 Arc User
    B)
    pottsey5g wrote:

Out of curiousity, has anyone taken a look at the rest of the game as it stands on Tribble? I know everyone is focused on looking at AoY, but iirc that won't be on console as of launch... so comparing current TOS-inspired imagery isn't a good comparison of the more "modern" content in the rest of STO. Of course, I'm asking because I'm not a Gold Member... and therefore cannot provide feedback or opinions on Tribble beyond the vids I've seen (which actually looked pretty good given the aesthetic they were aiming for, mission bugs aside). Are any of the graphics updates that we've seen in blogs even live on Tribble yet?

In any case, though, I thought AoY was supposed to look different from the rest of STO...?

I am hoping for a TOS version of ESD but that is probably expecting way too much. I will head over that way the next time I am on Tribble though to see. The TOS Drozana is already in the game so that shouldn't be too hard for them to port out as a social zone.
  • jarenriccarjarenriccar Member Posts: 248 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    B)
    pottsey5g wrote:

its not supposed to look like TOS HD. its supposed to look like what it looked in the 60s. when it looked bad. but whats bad now was cutting edge back then. there's no nostalgia factor for an HD remake.

not saying this is a good thing or not, just pointing it out.

27507930894_3855d74146_o.jpg

• vorwodavorwoda Member Posts: 694 Arc User
    Now if I could just find a B&W monochrome monitor in a resolution the game supports, that would REALLY rock!
    edited June 2016
    B)
    pottsey5g wrote:

its not supposed to look like TOS HD. its supposed to look like what it looked in the 60s. when it looked bad. but whats bad now was cutting edge back then. there's no nostalgia factor for an HD remake.

not saying this is a good thing or not, just pointing it out.
    I disagree for most of us here there is more nostalgia for the better quality reruns. The majority of STO gamers where not even alive back then or too young to remember how bad it was. The majority of gamer TOS fans grow up on better quality TOS reruns. The average STO player is not in there 60’s but much younger.

It’s not just the grain that doesn’t even look authentic like it did in 60’s. It’s all the graphic problems like the blurred objects, out of focus objects added with the fuzziness that ruins the game on the tribble version.

vorwoda wrote: »
    Now if I could just find a B&W monochrome monitor in a resolution the game supports, that would REALLY rock!
    I am sure there are programs that can remove colors. Some kind of monitor profile perhaps? Some settings with your graphics card?
    Here is something to get you started: http://superuser.com/questions/157340/how-to-make-my-display-grayscale
  • vorwodavorwoda Member Posts: 694 Arc User
    vorwoda wrote: »
    I am sure there are programs that can remove colors. Some kind of monitor profile perhaps? Some settings with your graphics card?
    Here is something to get you started: http://superuser.com/questions/157340/how-to-make-my-display-grayscale

I actually meant that humourously, Archchancellor. But thank you for that link - I may try it for real!
  • cptskeeterukcptskeeteruk Member Posts: 559 Arc User
    I dont want the new lighting as it doesnt look nice (to me) so i hope there will be a toggle for it because usually with deferred lighting you cannot use FSAA which i would prefer over this new lighting which tbh isnt much of a upgrade truth be told.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I dont want the new lighting as it doesnt look nice (to me) so i hope there will be a toggle for it because usually with deferred lighting you cannot use FSAA which i would prefer over this new lighting which tbh isnt much of a upgrade truth be told.
    Despite the amount of people saying it looks worse they don't seem to want to listen :(
  • oblomofoblomof Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    Just saw the newest previous/after image with the same cheap trick: Making the "previous" picture much darker to give a wrong impression how much better the "after" picture would be. Sorry but if the new lighting would really be so much better you would not need to use such tricks.

All I can see is that the new lighting removes the intense colors out of STO. It is surely a question of taste if someone likes the intense, even sometimes psychedelic color scheme of STO, but I like it. And if I want it brighter I just have to increase gamma (what I do).

Sorry, but you can't significantly pimp an old engine with some tinkering at the lighting. For me it's a deterioration and a waste of dev time.
    oblomof wrote: »
    Sorry, but you can't significantly pimp an old engine with some tinkering at the lighting. For me it's a deterioration and a waste of dev time.
    It can be done as other games and even other MMO's have done it. Eve Online for example is massively different graphically now then when it first came out. Eve is older then STO and has been upgraded to look better then STO, not as good a game as STO though.

• alexsanderitaalexsanderita Member Posts: 214 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    Will we have to update our graphics cards with the update?

Not really. The Desktop Equivalent to an XB1 or PS4 is an AMD 7870 or GTX 660. Which are approx 3 - 4 generations 'old' ( Released 2012 ) so everyone -should- be alright.

Released in 2012 doesnt' mean everyone has it now. In 2012 it was the new big thing.

It may or may not be the minimum they install on a pc today, but sure not everyone bought his/hers this year.

I bought my notebook 2 years ago in 2014, mid-high end, and it came with a AMD 7600 series over a HD 4000 base.

Not a gaming machine, but enough to run STO better than the previous computer I had, which only had the HD 4000.

You see, if what you say it's true they changed the hardware requirements up by several generations and told nothing.

If I had a gaming machine I'd probably playing Fallout 4 like everyone else.

I happen to like the after pictures more than the before ones and would be waiting to try it out if I wasn't worried about the possibility the game will stop working unless I dumb it down to Playstation 1 graphics.

SO a nice word from the devs about what exactly are the system requirements with the new additions coming this year would be welcome.
    I still dream from time to time about using the Gateway to doff off-game in spare minutes as we were told
  • antonine3258antonine3258 Member Posts: 2,391 Arc User
    I really like the most recent before-and-after, the lighting cast with the force-fields looks really good compared to the previous diffuse blue everywhere.
    Fate - protects fools, small children, and ships named Enterprise Will Riker

Member Access Denied Armada!

My forum single-issue of rage: Make the Proton Experimental Weapon go for subsystem targetting!
    I really like the most recent before-and-after, the lighting cast with the force-fields looks really good compared to the previous diffuse blue everywhere.
    For a change some of the lighting was better but it was the same problem as on tribble where objects that should not be blurred and out of focus are. For examples the lights at the near the top are all blurred in the after shot, looking much worse.
  • sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    the lighting is clearly better, but in my opinion the light is too yellow (even for the light coming from the sun) :)
    Post edited by sennahcherib on
  • kittykaboomboomkittykaboomboom Member Posts: 52 Arc User
    I'll have a look, when the game eventually let's me in.
    It's still doing the . patch...........................................................................................................................loading..............................................................time out
    all it shows is
    force verify
    reset router
    repeat several times CPU, memory and disk in use but Internet goes down to 6kps

now it's added
    95% loaded..... game client has stopped working, do you wish to check for a solution
    in the bugs section, there's a lot of people with these problems.
    just patched, now can't get in... again.
    so back to CO, which at least loads.​​
  • bioixibioixi Member Posts: 764 Arc User
    JJ Abrams called, he wants his ultra-bright lamps back.
    Another Weekly Before And After and another after shot that looks far worse than the before shot :(
  • saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,385 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    While he likes a dark, moody environment, he always felt that it was just a little too dark before.
    Sorry, but not this time.
    They seriously need to redo some parts of the lighting FX of the monitors, because it's waaaaaaay too bright. I don't mind seeing new and better light effects, but I do mind getting my retinas damaged and suffering from headaches due to an excess of artificial light.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1