test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Alliance Exploration Initiative - Mission Building Challenge

drogyn1701drogyn1701 Member Posts: 3,606 Media Corps
NipG4VI.png

Hello and welcome to the Alliance Exploration Initiative mission building challenge, sponsored by the Foundry Roundtable.

From the date of this post, authors will have 5 weeks to create their missions, after which there will be 3 weeks for the community to play through and cast their vote for the winner. The winner will be determined by a majority vote.

The mission creation deadline is 5 p.m. (U.S. Pacific Time) Friday, June 17. The voting deadline is 5 p.m. Tuesday, July 5.

Challenge Topic:

For this Foundry challenge, create a mission about exploration! Seek out new worlds and new civilizations in a previously unexplored part of the galaxy. There are only two other requirements:
  • Add [AEI] in front of your mission title to denote that it is part of the Alliance Exploration Initiative mission series. This allows players to easily search for the series’ missions.
  • Start the mission at the Archer System in the Narendra Sector of the Beta Quadrant.

In keeping with the theme of this challenge, the Foundry community has helped create a new starbase, Starbase Magellan, to serve as a central hub for all these new exploration missions. Located in the Archer System, Starbase Magellan is a joint project of the Federation-Klingon-Romulan Alliance to explore the far reaches of the Beta Quadrant.

*Authors are free to use this space station in their missions or not as they choose. It is not a requirement.*

Resources to build the maps and characters for Starbase Magellan are available HERE

A lore blog detailing the story of Starbase Magellan is available HERE

Prizes to be announced at a later date.

Rules:

Please make sure to adhere to the Foundry EULA and the rules below.

Authors must add their mission to the official Mission Thread including the following information.

Mission Title:
Your @Handle:
Faction:
Level Requirement:
Mission Summary:

The above needs to be filled out completely by the due date/ time for your mission to be considered, and your mission must be published in-game at such time to be considered -- unfortunately, any mission that cannot be found in-game by the time the voting starts will be removed from this entry thread.

If you are unable to push the "publish" button at this time due to timezones/ work schedules, please wait until the latest possible moment before this day/time. Also, if you need to publish your mission to test things, that is fine too, but please make sure to unpublish after testing is complete.

Rules of the challenge:
  • The challenge will run for 8 weeks total, 5 to build the missions and 3 for the community to play and vote. If there is any unscheduled lengthy downtime during the challenge, the deadlines will be extended by the appropriate time.
  • There are no right or wrong stories to tell, as long as the mission is about exploration in some way.
  • Since there has been a long build up to this challenge, we will be more lenient on ideas and work done prior to the start date. However, In the spirit of the competition, we hope that you are doing the majority of the work within the 5-week challenge period.
  • Missions should take 30-45 minutes for a player to complete, in order to make sure players can play through all the missions in a reasonable amount of time.
  • Once the mission is published, it should not be withdrawn, even temporarily. The only exception to this would be if for some reason players are saying they can't complete it and you need to fix something so they can. If you find spelling mistakes, feel free to fix them only after the competition ends. In general, we want all the voters to be considering the same version of your mission.
  • Voting: when the 5-week build period ends, a voting thread will be posted with the information on all submitted missions. When you have played through the missions and selected your favorite, send a forum PM to @drogyn1701. This will serve as your official vote. Limit 1 vote per person.
  • In the event of a tie, @duncanidaho11’s cat has been chosen as the impartial tie-breaking judge.
  • You may leave a review on each mission you play if you wish, but it is not required.

A few other important reminders:
  • Please heed the Foundry's EULA when submitting your entry! This applies to any mission made in the foundry. THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT!
  • Each author may only have one entry, no matter how many accounts they have.
  • We'll have three threads: One to discuss the entries (this one), one to submit entries, and one later with the official entries list for voting.

The Alliance Exploration Initiative is an ongoing mission series. Missions may be created for this exploration series at any time after the challenge has concluded. Authors will be free to use the resources provided here to continue making great exploration missions for players to experience. Several missions have already been published for the project. Check them out by searching for [AEI] or visiting the Archer System.
The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
Post edited by drogyn1701 on

Comments

• captainhunter1captainhunter1 Member Posts: 1,626 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    And so it begins....

WOOT! o:)

(space reserved for mission details - EDIT: oops, looks like that info goes HERE )
    Post edited by captainhunter1 on
  • zionus0zionus0 Member Posts: 395 Arc User
    will SBM be open to representatives or crews of smaller powers wishing to partake in the undertaking, or sorely the three main powers?
    Why do I still play and put money into STO?
    The Foundry, and my love of Star Trek
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    zionus0 wrote: »
    will SBM be open to representatives or crews of smaller powers wishing to partake in the undertaking, or sorely the three main powers?

As far as I understand it, it's an open project with main contributions from the three powers. Other species can be involved to, its probably just advisable not to make them key players in the construction and operation of Starbase.

For example, in Trident the mission starts with Starfleet, the Dyson Joint Command, and the Cooperative working together to access a subspace domain. For the most part this expedition was actually a DJC operation, but they're getting help from the other two named factions (with it being clear that this is how this particular research project was setup, not the whole of SBM.)
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!

As far as I understand it, it's an open project with main contributions from the three powers. Other species can be involved to, its probably just advisable not to make them key players in the construction and operation of Starbase.

For example, in Trident the mission starts with Starfleet, the Dyson Joint Command, and the Cooperative working together to access a subspace domain. For the most part this expedition was actually a DJC operation, but they're getting help from the other two named factions (with it being clear that this is how this particular research project was setup, not the whole of SBM.)

Thanks; so a diplomat should be alright for what I have in mind... Now to see if I have the skills to accomplish building it on time.
  • drogyn1701drogyn1701 Member Posts: 3,606 Media Corps
    Yeah I think there's a lot of room to explore what other governments besides the Big Three would want to be involved, and what their motivations might be. Not everyone might want to undertake exploration for altruistic goals.
    The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
    drogyn1701 wrote: »
    Yeah I think there's a lot of room to explore what other governments besides the Big Three would want to be involved, and what their motivations might be. Not everyone might want to undertake exploration for altruistic goals.

Example: Voth. :tongue:

(Though I am tempted to see what the Heirarchy could be up to as well.)
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
    Would anyone really be comfortable with the Hierarchy and some other Delta quadrant species even getting in the Alpha or Beta Quadrants? Would certainly makie for some intresting discussions about interstellar law- not to mention political relations.
    edited May 2016
    Would anyone really be comfortable with the Hierarchy and some other Delta quadrant species even getting in the Alpha or Beta Quadrants? Would certainly makie for some intresting discussions about interstellar law- not to mention political relations.

They have in STO, DQ ships were among those in defending Earth in the mission "Midnight." Dyson gateways still exist and there's bound to be a few adventure types looking for new opportunities on both sides (as AQ/BQ powers initially tried to do with the Gamma Quadrant in DS9.)

How they get involved with Magellan is an interesting discussion. It's out of the way but it's a lower-scale project that the main 3 powers may not be entirely able to support. So here comes the Heirarchy, Cooperative, Benthans, Kobali, Talaxians, or what have you with a helping hand, which could lead to further, and more significant, cooperation down the road. Even if the faction doesn't have a vested interest in this region of space, there's political opportunities given that it is an Alliance project.

The one piece of advice is probably not to rule anything completely out. You're not required to follow along with the specific plot points someone else lays down, but it's going to be a lot less complicated to navigate through this anthology of missions if very strongly divisive backstory elements are avoided as much as possible.
    edited May 2016
    I added this to the SSF thread but it seemed relevant to what we're up to here too. It's a short story primer for two of my AEI characters, Ch'that and Haasra, as they setup on Starbase Magellan. It's definitely just characterization and not a required part of even using either. But if you're looking for how to handle their personalities it could be fun to look over. :P
    “Not there!” Haasra called.

The case hesitated briefly before determinately completing its journey. Ch'that kicked it aside and turned to face the good doctor.

“I'm not a porter.”
    “But you'd make a good one,” Haasra said earnestly. “See that case over there?”

Ch'that said nothing.

“Break whatever's inside it.”

Ch'that said nothing, but the tone was different. She walked over to the container and read the label.

“Starfleet medical supplies: pediatric. Handle with care.”
    “Should say 'Starfleet Intel: if you write everything down and place it inside it would save us a whole lot of bother.'”

Ch'that inspected the contents. They included several tricorders, hyposprays, and a variety of bright fluffy plushed toys. It was inside these that she found the recording devices.

Ch'that threw them aside, “Is this a joke?”
    “Parting gift, I think. They had at least three people watching me since I left Iffar,” Haasra replied.
    “And they let you into the D.J.C.?”
    “It showed I was serious.”
    “A serious cook.”
    “Cook, tour guide, taxi driver, mechanic, body guard, cleaner, midwife.”

Ch'that's tail slashed the air.

Haasra smiled, “just making sure you were paying attention."
    “Where does 'Doctor' fit in?”
    “Old past, the kind that never leaves you.” Haasra reached for a small case. “You know what this is?”
    Ch'that resigned herself to one of the few unpacked chairs, “Not yet.”
    “It's a security service medal, Ibi. When it was given to me I was working as a geneticist.” Haasra thought for a moment. “Actually it would be more fair to say I was THE geneticist on Iffar. Lot of responsibility, lot of technical work to do. Setting up out here's kind of a sabbatical.”
    “And the other stuff was...” Ch'that pried.
    “Something came up, you know how the unexpected can be. A shiny new thing glitters in a dull world. You pounce and suddenly there's a wealth of possibilities you hadn't considered before.”

Haasra relented under Ch'that's cold stare.

“Some people cloned my daughter and I had to make sure everything turned out alright.”
    “Did it?”
    “It's not for me to say.” Haasra took a seat on one of the biobeds. After a moment he said, “You think Captain Mercer will notice if we setup a smoker in here?”
    “A what?”
    “A device for preparing meat food by the application of combustive heat.”
    “I would think...”
    “Remember he's human. The closest most of his species gets to special preparations is a replicator sub-menu or a patronizing cafe.”
    “We'll manage it. Do you have schematics?”
    “I have the parts in the blue container over there,” Haasra pointed.

The two set to work. An hour later, damage damage control teams reported that they were able to save most of the supplies from the fire.
    Post edited by duncanidaho11 on
    Remember, anyone making a mission, please make a post in the mission thread HERE
    Just to be clear what the status of Apex is, I am officially notifying the official thread that my official AEI challenge mission is officially submitted for official official inspection. :p
    This is your friendly reminder that the deadline for the mission challenge is Friday, June 17. Please have your mission published by 5 p.m. U.S. Pacific Time.
  • thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,100 Arc User
    Dude, I'll be honest ... I'm struggling with this one. I'm going with the concept 'Exploration is just content I haven't done yet.' Every time I get a good idea, I push it aside for one reason or another. Which idea (below) would you guys prefer to see / play ?

However these are three ideas I've had popping up in my head for awhile. I think I could give you something descent by June 17th for one of them.

A ) Mol'Rihan Mission.. this would basically be a Pre-Iconian War Mol'Rihan that would have you exploring the Dewan ruins on New Romulus ... maybe discover what S'Rissa was trying ... or will be trying to desperately find.

B ) Time / Mirror Mission ... Recruited by some other idiot from the future, you are sent to the Mirror Universe's version of Magellen to do something. While in the Mirror Universe, you discover the Future Terran Empire is aware of what your doing and you would discover the Galactic Union / Federation is/was responsible for sending Kirk to the Mirror Universe which ultimately led to the fall of the Terran Empire thus revealing the Federation started the war with the Terran Empire.

C ) Hirogen / New Race Mission
    Hirogen are hunting 'Race X.' Race X would be doing something the Federation would frown upon, thus forcing the player to make a choice...

1) Leave the Hirogen to deal with Race X. Which could lead to problems later on.

2) Help Race X. Which will violate the prime directive because whatever Race X are doing ... is bad ... and we the Federation ... don't like that, cos we're the good guys ... or so we say.
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    C3: Help the Hirogen blow them up :p
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    edited June 2016
    Hirogen sounds promising. One angle might be to make race X a hunter of space whales. Then either choice ends with "nature taking its course."
    Will we be permited to submit entries to the anthology after the challenge deadline?
    I don't think I'll be able to finish in time due to the trouble I'm having with SBM interior ( I've ensued snap to grid is off so I can't find the problem.. Really I just need the transporter room, office, and the door (it would be locked becasue of an "atmospher malfunction" and the walls of the lounge for this scene). As well as my full time work schedule changing.

My idea was:
    ...to go with a rescue mission (which would involve marooned Molindrans (a race I created), and a Starfleet crew having abandoned ships in far orbit of what is actually a giant lifeform which resembles a living planet with humanoid red and white "blood cells". Eventually my script has the player use a "transporter" to go to the core of the planet and make direct contact with it's brain to ask to leave and give assurance that they have no hostile intentions.
    edited June 2016
    Yup, it's an ongoing thing. A few of us for example are tinkering with a few ideas for a 5 part AEI series which won't get started in the major building phase for a while. :)

The one thing I'll say for the SBM interior is that the room platform isn't always set to what you think it is (ex. the floor you walk on.) If you're having trouble getting something to the correct height, default to zero altitude and tinker until it's just right.
  • khregkhreg Member Posts: 379 Arc User
    Mission title: Apex [AEI]
    Handle: @Gorgonops
    Faction: FED, FED|ROM
    Level requirement: 31+
    Mission Summary:
    An ancient vessel has been discovered in outer reaches of the Archer System. Dark and adrift, it hides its secrets well. However the Alliance already suspects the ship's creators, an ancient race now feared across the galaxy.

Has an Iconian relic really been found on the doorstep of Starbase Magellan, or this another's harbinger? There is only one way to find out, though the path into the unknown may lead far beyond all expectations.

CjB5-ayUYAApwxE.jpg

Like "Eons" before it (although not necessarily a sequel) this is a super-cerebral story that will overwhelm you with its vastness of detail. Superbly crafted, but not for those who need to be spoon-fed the plot (and I admit, when I'm playing at 11pm after wrestling a overtired toddler to bed sometimes that's what I need).

Extremely well written.
  • khregkhreg Member Posts: 379 Arc User
    Defense%20Mechanisms.png

Mission title: [AEI] Defense Mechanisms
    Handle: @NCC-89471
    Faction: FED, FED|ROM
    Level requirement: Any
    Mission Summary:
    Starbase Magellan requests the player's ship for an unorthodox first-contact mission - which turns out to be more than either the player or the planet's people bargained for. Meanwhile, a certain Rigelian stellar cartographer is offered a position at Magellan with AEI...

This was a top-notch adventure! A nice balancing of challenging combat in the right places to serve plot development (not for the sake of pew-pew) with nice mystery with tense atmosphere. My only ?? is why the inclusion of Helna was important to the story. I saw it as a bookending and really couldn't see a necessary link to the rest.

Otherwise, very well done and written nicely. Just a small glitch in the transporter room at missions end where my bridge crew kept snapping back to the pads. I got past this by simply rallying them in place nearby as they're not needed for the epilogue anyway.

Fun!!
    Reminder that the deadline for mission submissions for the contest is this Friday. Make sure to add your mission to the list here

So far I have missions from gorgonops, dragonsbrethren, markhawkman, pax federatica, captain hunter and starfarertheta.

I'm moving up the voting deadline by a couple days since we now have a release date for AoY, which we reasonably assume will come with some downtime. Everyone will now have from 5 p.m. (U.S. Pacific Time) Friday, June 17 to 5 p.m. Tuesday, July 5, to send me a PM with their vote. I'll be advertising this elsewhere as well.
  • djxprimedjxprime Member Posts: 522 Arc User
    We may have a new problem. None of us have been able to accept any Foundry missions today since this latest patch. That's including the missions on the review tab or the Top 3. Whenever you select "Accept" for a mission, it doesn't show up in the Mission Tracker or the In-Progress Tab.

There's a thread in the Foundry Bug section here.
    Kkerp5u.jpg?1

"No matter where you go...there you are."
    I saw that. If this persists more than a day or two I will extend the voting deadline. Unfortunately we'd have to finish voting after downtime, which isn't ideal, but we'll do whatever we have to do to give people enough time to play the missions.
  • gethralkin1gethralkin1 Member Posts: 108 Arc User
    I have been hearing reports that Foundry is glitching and that missions are not showing up after publishing, and some that are are not able to accept the mission. I posted mine at about 4:30PST and it's still not showing up. Should only take about 30-45 minutes. Can an submission extension be granted?
    Yeah I'm going to check the missions to see that they are all published soon, since you posted yours before the deadline I'll make sure you get in. Plus, with this glitch where people can't accept missions, i'm not ready to make a big voting announcement, so you have some time to make sure it gets up. I know the devs are aware of that bug and hopefully are working on it.
    edited June 2016
    Yeah, my mission is published, but it's not letting me play it to test it. I can bring up the prompt and click accept, but nothing happens. No mission appears in the "In Progress" tab and nothing at the Archer system shows up to start it.

By the way, the only way I could find my mission was in the Review tab of the Foundry on Holodeck. Couldn't search for it any other way until someone on the StarbaseUGC chat said Foundry was having issues and suggest that tip.
    Capt.PFDennis - Today at 7:38 PM
    nope. Foundry missions are offline
    An extension would be welcome.
    Your mission will normally start out in the review tab, don't worry about that. But it seems at the moment nobody is able to play missions. I don't know when we'll hear back about this, but obviously I won't start anything until people can actually play.
    edited June 2016
    drogyn1701 wrote: »
    Your mission will normally start out in the review tab, don't worry about that. But it seems at the moment nobody is able to play missions. I don't know when we'll hear back about this, but obviously I won't start anything until people can actually play.

Thanks. Would be nice to get a good test run done to make sure it's working right. There's only so much I can do in the Foundry editor.

My mission requires EV suits in a couple of maps, and optional Floaters on one map, both of which Foundry characters can't get.

Ok we are missing two missions from the eight we have entered: @dragonsbrethren and @markhawkman

Obviously we have some leeway since there is that bug with accepting, so you have some time.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    I just got mine finished. I managed to have a separate power outage and internet outage today. O_o'
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    Cool, we have them all up now. As soon as the bug gets fixed, we'll open up for voting. I don't mind if you guys tweak and proofread until then. We'll likely have to extend the voting period to have some now and some after downtime.