test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

New Star Trek show based in STO time period?

Comments

• Options
    snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    I highly doubt that this rumor is true as making a prequel severely limits your ability to get creative.

The time period after Generations and prior to Yesterday's Enterprise is essentially wide open and very unexplored in terms of how creative they can get. There's literally only a couple of things established. There's Khitomer. There's a conflict with the Tholians (as mentioned by Riker's dad). There's that peace negotiation Sarek was working on. And there's a conflict with the Cardassians. That's all of the major bits I can remember falling into that time period. And well, Picard on the Stargazer comes up too. So his encounter with what they didn't know was a Ferengi ship, and the creation of the Picard Maneuver. So there's a lot of room to set up a story in that time period.

What the rumor going about is, goes beyond that setting though. The rumor is that each season will be set in a different time period. It is rumored to be set up more like True Detective than the Star Trek we're used to. Where they can tell one season long narrative arc. Then in season two change casts and era completely.

The most exciting rumor I've heard is that just the first season is set in the Enterprise C "era" and that it may deal with the events leading up to Khitomer. And then they'd move on to something else entirely in season 2. New cast, different era, different everything.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    I highly doubt that this rumor is true as making a prequel severely limits your ability to get creative.

I PROMISE no one actually creative thinks that.

• Options
    kjwashingtonkjwashington Member Posts: 2,529 Arc User
    starkaos wrote: »
    I think that the best we can hope for is that the new show won't make STO less canon than it already is. If CBS wants to go that extra mile, and say have an Andorian lieutenant Va'Kel Shon on one of the ships that the show covers at whatever time period that Shon would have been a lieutenant (etc.), then that would be nice. But I doubt that they'll bother giving STO any shout-outs, confirming/denying our "soft" canon place.

Why would the new show make STO less canon than it already is? Star Trek believes in the multiverse theory so theoretically, any Star Trek fanfiction has happened.

Right now, STO is what's called "soft canon" this includes things like books, games, etc. that hard canon sources (T.V. series and particular movies) can overwrite if need be. As of right now, STO is pretty soft canon as no hard canon sources hint or nod at anything from STO being canon. If this were to happen, like my previous example of a Lieutenant Va'Kel Shon in the new series, that would make STO slightly less soft canon. If the new series were to take place during STO's time period and not mention any of the crazy things that happened these two years, that would make STO even more soft canon. Or they could just have it take place when STO would take place and say STO isn't canon. This would make STO the softest of canon (basically fanfic level).
    FaW%20meme_zpsbkzfjonz.jpg
    Support 90 degree arc limitation on BFaW! Save our ships from looking like flying disco balls of dumb!
  • Options
    officerbatman81officerbatman81 Member Posts: 2,761 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    @gradii @dbeiswenger
    To the two severely misinformed people who like to claim the Hobus supernova is canon. You are plum wrong. @gradii didnt even bother citing a rationale.
    @dbeiswenger memory alpha is a user contributed cite like wikipedia, that reference is not concrete. And seeing it happen on JJTrek does not make it Prime canon.
    There are two star treks apparently, prime universe CBS canon, and what you two appearently are liking more enough to like and honor in this conversation JJTrek Paramount owned stories.
    Post edited by officerbatman81 on
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    staq16staq16 Member Posts: 1,181 Arc User
    STO's early in-game background (the novel "Needs of the Many") already acknowledged the existence of the JJ-verse and Pocket Books' novel-verse timeline, so yeah - parallel realities it is.
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    edited June 2016
    gradii dbeiswenger
    To the two severely misinformed people who like to claim the Hobus supernova is canon. You are plum wrong. gradii didnt even bother citing a rationale.
    dbeiswenger memory alpha is a user contributed cite like wikipedia, that reference is not concrete. And seeing it happen on JJTrek does not make it Prime canon.
    There are two star treks apparently, prime universe CBS canon, and what you two appearently are liking more enough to like and honor in this conversation JJTrek Paramount owned stories.

You're half right. Memory Alpha is certainly not canon and all too often includes random c.rap from editors personal favourite non-canon sources dressed up as canon facts.
    But no, The AR films are canon and all the bits in the future (i.e. the bits prior to Spock and Nero falling back through time) are from the Prime Reality (as is technically the Kelvin bits and prior) from the other films and shows, CBS has confirmed that. CBS has creative control over all of STs canon, including the Paramount owned bits, the inverse is not, however, true as seen when JJ attempted to make his AR series a reboot and effectively erase the previous reality. CBS told him he couldn't, hence the AR bit.

And though it's not canon, the joint CBS/Paramount comic 'Countdown' shows the clear intent of the destruction of Romulus happening in the Prime Reality.

But none of that matters. ST is full of mind bending retcons (mainly ignoring chunks of TOS) and there's no reason why the new series couldn't retcon the destruction of Romulus in the same way a 1990s Eugenics war, warpless Romulans, and Warp 14 were quietly forgotten. It's unlikely to happen though as the 09 film is still in peoples minds unlike how TOS is for the majority of ST fans.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    berginsbergins Member Posts: 3,453 Arc User
    As far as STO acknowledging the Pocket Books Universe goes, keep in mind that all they really did was the aknowledge that events similar to those that happened in the books happened in our storyli that'll actually be cleared up soon with an upcoming release.

As far as Memory Alpha being canon goes, it being canon means Start Trek Canon is a hotter mess than I thought.
    "Logic is a little tweeting bird chirping in a meadow. Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell BAD." - Spock
  • Options
    semalda226semalda226 Member Posts: 1,994 Arc User
    You know something....im.just gonna watch it and decide if I like it or not then. Who cares what period it's set in does that make it less Trek? I've watched all of the TOS Movies, TNG , Voyager, DS9 , ENT, and the TNG movies. I have varying opinions on all of them. I hate seasons 6 and 7 of Voyager, despise the 2nd and 4th movies of TOS, love Nemesis, am extremely meh about the JJ Movies, and absolutely adore the first season of DS9. I'll just judge it as it comes.
    tumblr_mxl2nyOKII1rizambo1_500.png

• Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    bergins wrote: »
    As far as STO acknowledging the Pocket Books Universe goes, keep in mind that all they really did was the aknowledge that events similar to those that happened in the books happened in our storyli that'll actually be cleared up soon with an upcoming release.

As far as Memory Alpha being canon goes, it being canon means Start Trek Canon is a hotter mess than I thought.

Unlike me @angrytarg isn't lazy and actually found the relevant posts by CBS on their canon policy (films and TV only) so Memory Alpha cannot even be considered as canon.

The problem is that it advertises itself as a canon repository, as in a repository for canon information not a repository that is canon. A common mistake people keep making. But even that is wrong due to the large amount of articles where editors are writing their favourite non-canon works into the article outside of the designated apocrypha section.

That's not even getting into articles full of unfounded assertions based on editors opinions and non-canon information, such as commodore in the 24th century, a TOS Klingon-Romulan Alliance, Section 31s legitimacy, Starfleet being a military, and other such articles that consist of nothing more than asserted groupthink and decades of nostalgia for books and comics and things with no relation to what CBS presents as facts.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    Thoughts? I think this belongs in ten forward, probably in the thread discussing the new series

yes

The time period after Generations and prior to Yesterday's Enterprise is essentially wide open and very unexplored in terms of how creative they can get. There's literally only a couple of things established. There's Khitomer. There's a conflict with the Tholians (as mentioned by Riker's dad). There's that peace negotiation Sarek was working on. And there's a conflict with the Cardassians. That's all of the major bits I can remember falling into that time period. And well, Picard on the Stargazer comes up too. So his encounter with what they didn't know was a Ferengi ship, and the creation of the Picard Maneuver. So there's a lot of room to set up a story in that time period.

What the rumor going about is, goes beyond that setting though. The rumor is that each season will be set in a different time period. It is rumored to be set up more like True Detective than the Star Trek we're used to. Where they can tell one season long narrative arc. Then in season two change casts and era completely.

The most exciting rumor I've heard is that just the first season is set in the Enterprise C "era" and that it may deal with the events leading up to Khitomer. And then they'd move on to something else entirely in season 2. New cast, different era, different everything.

there is some room to work in but not a whole lot, the connie is retired from service, the Miranda and Excelsior are now the focus, khitomer is around, b'rels are fairly new as is the new peace between the klingons and UFP. the romulans are not that well explored, but it could give a basis for the cryptic team to work from as far as romulan culture and architecture is concerned

the tomed incident needs exploring as well before the final contact with the TOS romulans, since books are non canon, that would be a nice bit to explore out.

also if the show is to advance over a number of years, it could looking to the first contact with the cardassians as well, possibly those head pieces showing up again and maybe a different choice of armour.

the unveiling of already established canon ships like the Centaur type which conceivably could of been in service from early 2300's.

i mean there are other events around the time. so while there is some room to work in, it would be to advance the canon timeline in the prime universe.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    Thoughts? I think this belongs in ten forward, probably in the thread discussing the new series

Its related to STO. Im talking about how it should be in the STO time period, and that some of the events in STO would make for good television.

You're splitting that hair mighty thin there man as the board is for "the discussion and feedback related to Star Trek Online." Not how interesting/absurd makin a TV show that ties into some STO plots is. Personally I think it would doom the new series worse than ENT did.

Frankly I seriously doubt there will be any nods to STO. Video games in the franchise are used like tissues, picked up, used, discarded. Now the reverse I would bet money on, esp as gecko (and Maria Rosseau I think) have said they've tried but cant work it initially as the two products have crazy differences in production schedules.
    An Anthology is not at all what many fans want. Terrible.

I dunno, that was my initial reaction as well, but when I think about it more I see so much potential in the concept. We can explore different time periods, even maybe see a Romulan or Klingon focused season, we can see how different Captains of different ships handle the same major events/problems. And much more
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    @jodarkrider
    is this thread in the right place?
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    artan42 wrote: »
    Unlike me @angrytarg isn't lazy and actually found the relevant posts by CBS on their canon policy (films and TV only) so Memory Alpha cannot even be considered as canon.
    (...)

@artan42 You know, when porcines start to dig we usually don't stop unless we find something pig-2.gif

"Canon" only incorporates the continuity on big and small screens. Memory Alpha, as you pointed out, should always come with a citation of the canonical instance in question. If an information is not able to do so it's "worth" in terms of canonicity needs to be reevaluated.

@bergins

Trek canon isn't a mess at all. Some fans are, though, as they confuse what canon actually means with something else entirely. But the canon is clearly defined. Events are sometimes retconned and contradicting and I especially loathe and would wish to ignore retcons for that matter, but it's not more complicated than any other fantasy or sci-fi universe out there.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    I'm pretty sure since this is a CBS Studios production, that STO would not only be allowed to incorporate elements from the new show (or at least make it easier to do so), but I'd actually count on it. I don't think the STO team would be as excited (at least publically in dev blogs) if there wasn't a massive opportunity to tie STO to the new series in some way.

It's called synergy, and CBS Studios would be fools not to involve cross-promotional material to their licensed properties. Then again, I think they're fools for including commercials in their All-Access streaming service, so we'll see.​​
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    dbeiswengerdbeiswenger Member Posts: 141 Arc User
    nikeix wrote: »

I promise they do. Enterprise had this problem to an extent. Its tough coming up with new ideas for a prequel because of continuity.
  • Options
    dbeiswengerdbeiswenger Member Posts: 141 Arc User
    @jodarkrider

@mirrorchaos Seeing how its about if the new show should be in the Star Trek Online time period, and what events in the STO time period could be used, yyyyyyes it is. Don't be annoying.
  • Options
    @jodarkrider

@mirrorchaos Seeing how its about if the new show should be in the Star Trek Online time period, and what events in the STO time period could be used, yyyyyyes it is. Don't be annoying.

Others disagree with you, and all he did was ask a moderator for his judgement.
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    iconians wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure since this is a CBS Studios production, that STO would not only be allowed to incorporate elements from the new show (or at least make it easier to do so), but I'd actually count on it. I don't think the STO team would be as excited (at least publically in dev blogs) if there wasn't a massive opportunity to tie STO to the new series in some way.

It's called synergy, and CBS Studios would be fools not to involve cross-promotional material to their licensed properties. Then again, I think they're fools for including commercials in their All-Access streaming service, so we'll see.​​

Probably be limited to starships, weapons, and costumes rather than actual storylines. Cryptic and the creators of the new Star Trek series want to tell their own Star Trek stories. It is possible that the new Star Trek series would have a Twilight Zone or Outer Limits style where each episode focuses on a different crew or alien race, but the development costs for such a series would be outrageous.
  • Options
    nikeix wrote: »
    I promise they do. Enterprise had this problem to an extent. Its tough coming up with new ideas for a prequel because of continuity.

No... all you're saying is they weren't that creative - which is entirely consistent with the tragic rehashing they were doing instead of finding their own groove in nearly infinite space. Coming up with new ideas is the ESSENCE of creativity.

• Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    There was a recent Thread about making a movie based on STO, like Warcraft. Forget it, CBS is looking for the other way around.

Why does everyone dismiss the time frame between ST-TUC and TNG? As each Season will be self-contained, that only needs to be the time frame for the First Season.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    Am I really the only one that would want a series set entirely in the mirror universe?
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    i was hoping there'd be further mirror episodes in enterprise...seems a shame to go through all that trouble to create an awesome intro especially for in a mirror, darkly - and it only gets used for that one two-parter​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    Unfortunately it came too late in the Series as there were only a few Episodes left before the lights went out.

That Fourth Season was awesome with a number of great multi-episode arcs. A shame the Series ended so early.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    Am I really the only one that would want a series set entirely in the mirror universe?

I would love that... on one condition, they stop bouncing all over and ignoring any level of continuity for ease of plot device.
  • Options
    iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    starkaos wrote: »
    iconians wrote: »

It's called synergy, and CBS Studios would be fools not to involve cross-promotional material to their licensed properties. Then again, I think they're fools for including commercials in their All-Access streaming service, so we'll see.

Probably be limited to starships, weapons, and costumes rather than actual storylines. Cryptic and the creators of the new Star Trek series want to tell their own Star Trek stories. It is possible that the new Star Trek series would have a Twilight Zone or Outer Limits style where each episode focuses on a different crew or alien race, but the development costs for such a series would be outrageous.

And Cryptic could borrow elements from those stories to tell their own. Many of the missions in STO are shameless fan service that makes people remember, "Hey, remember when THIS happened in that Star Trek episode?"

They could put their own spin on it, and yeah, I fully anticipate having the uniforms from the new series in the game, as well as any starships produced. The new show is a gravy train on biscuit wheels for the future of STO.​​
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    hyefatherhyefather Member Posts: 1,286 Arc User
    Listen People !!!!! I'm practically having Star trek withdraws. I don't care what timeline the series is set in (Please don't be Enterprise era though). I'm just gratefull that we are finally getting a Star Trek T.V. show that we can watch. Damn people, think. Stop being so damn greedy. I want this, I want that. Just be happy. Just think about all the New special effects we will get to see. I bet the enterprise never looked so good. I can't wait.
  • Options
    Oh man... wouldn't it be funny if the new show builds off the AR and Cryptic was suddenly eager to get AR movie ships into circulation? If the people for whom these choices are a business decision and not a nostalgia-festival were vaguely aware the Prime Universe movies spiraled down to an agonizing death and the new ones succeeded in attracting a younger tech-oriented audience that might flock to a Star Trek used as the tent-pole for a digital streaming service?
  • Options
    And CBS, after one Episode on CBS, will have the rest of the Series on their CBS streaming service exclusively.
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    @jodarkrider

He's got a point. There already IS a massive thread for discussing the new TV series. In Ten Forward. It's pretty much the official thread for that topic and this entire discussion would fit nicely into that thread. I agree with mirrorchaos, this thread isn't in the right place.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]